PDA

View Full Version : the site needs a fighter stats finder

drop toe hold
09-04-2007, 03:15 AM
everytime i want to look up a fighters record i have to go to sherdog, i hate going over there, i know it would take an ass load of work but it would be awesome if that feature could be added

Highlander
09-04-2007, 03:25 AM
This is at least the third thread asking for a fight finder, first was ubermensch (I think(, then me, now drop toe hold. I agree, there should be a fight finder on this site.

Noob
09-04-2007, 03:54 AM
If everyone pitched in and did a letter it would take no time.

...I'll do all the fighters that las name starts with the letter Z.

Now you guys pick letter and lets have it done by the end of the week.

I pick X.

The ultimate problem with this is that it requires a ton of work to research, and a decent amount of work for upkeep. The issue comes down to finding someone who will dedicate the time, and so far no one has stepped up.

I'd like to have it too, I just don't want to have to put in that much work for it.

drop toe hold
09-04-2007, 04:07 AM
sorry i didnt know there was already a thread, i knew it would be a shitload of work, just thought id try

Dork8503
09-04-2007, 04:46 AM
I pick X.

The ultimate problem with this is that it requires a ton of work to research, and a decent amount of work for upkeep. The issue comes down to finding someone who will dedicate the time, and so far no one has stepped up.

I'd like to have it too, I just don't want to have to put in that much work for it.

dude your going to need some help with X so ill help you out lol

I agree with noob.

But we do need a fight finder. I think if we had something like that, we would get even bigger.

But like noob said all it takes is someone to step up

Or we could just let members take certian fighters i got dibs on Franklin and Vera and Tito

Clint
09-04-2007, 01:27 PM
dude your going to need some help with X so ill help you out lol

I agree with noob.

But we do need a fight finder. I think if we had something like that, we would get even bigger.

But like noob said all it takes is someone to step up

Or we could just let members take certian fighters i got dibs on Franklin and Vera and Tito

True but then the little new guys would never get done. As cool of an idea as it is none of us really have the time for it and I just can't see someone else willing to build it and upkeep it.

Jza
09-05-2007, 01:43 AM
Well my suggestion for this would be effectively to basically take someone elses.
I mean it doesn't matter where you get the info from so long as you get it right.
Someone starts a thread and everyone posts fighters in it and whichever admin is available updates the original post and at the end just posts *updated to post 101* for example and the next time someone is available and it's at say posts 121 they update it again.
That way the fight finder is all done in one post and in alphabetical order and then within a few weeks it will be finished and can be exported to the website.

It would also leave us with a fighter finder on the forum - maybe as a sub forum where people could just go in look at a letter and find the fighter they're looking for. This way we can always get feedback if a fighters record is out and the members feel involved.

Apologies if I've missed anything out but I'm more thn happy to expand on my idea.

Ubermensch
09-05-2007, 01:57 AM
I pick X.

I get Q!

Bullock
09-05-2007, 02:08 AM
As cool of an idea as it is none of us really have the time for it and I just can't see someone else willing to build it and upkeep it.

Exactly.

Everybody wants it but nobody wants to do the work to get it, lol.

Jza
09-05-2007, 02:10 AM
Exactly.

Everybody wants it but nobody wants to do the work to get it, lol.

Although I did just suggest a way that we could all contribute :p

Bullock
09-05-2007, 02:14 AM
Well, we can all contribute to the MMA calendar too, but you see how good that is.

Jza
09-05-2007, 02:26 AM
we have an MMA calendar?
. . . ok point taken maybe lol
But if we do this now when there's interest it might just work. . . maybe

King Fisher
09-05-2007, 04:17 AM
Could you not just link the site to sherdogs?

Example: I type in Rich Franklin on MMANews Forums Fight Finder (thats a mouthfull) and another window opens to sherdogs results of that fighter?

I dont know if that would be easier or harder or a dumb idea all together.

Just throwing it out there

Jza
09-05-2007, 04:38 AM
Just so everyone knows I have spoken to Noob today and there will be a subforum for a UFC fight finder within the next couple of weeks.
I will start up some threads about it soon to see what people want to be in it. Any offers of help are greatly appreciated and the more help the quicker it will be up.

King Fisher
09-05-2007, 04:47 AM
I'd love to help!

Great way to learn more about some of the fighters out there

Dork8503
09-05-2007, 07:25 AM
ill take Franklin and Ortiz and Vera

FE_EatsChildren
09-05-2007, 07:35 AM
are you guys just gonna do the bigger orgs? like K-1 and UFC? because if you're gonna extend past that.. you have to do ALOT of people...

Warchief
09-05-2007, 08:45 AM
everytime i want to look up a fighters record i have to go to sherdog, i hate going over there,
Me too.

Jza
09-05-2007, 10:53 AM
are you guys just gonna do the bigger orgs? like K-1 and UFC? because if you're gonna extend past that.. you have to do ALOT of people...

For now just UFC, then probably extend it to Pride and then continue on if it works out.
We all have things to do so we're just gonna do our best to get as much as we can :)

King Fisher
09-05-2007, 01:10 PM
where is this thread going to be posted?

Jza
09-06-2007, 03:08 AM
Just so people know the basics are up at the moment.
More to be done tomorrow :)

King Fisher
09-06-2007, 12:31 PM
where?

Jza
09-06-2007, 04:34 PM
It wont be viewable until it is pretty much done on the UFC side or until a mod approves it. Anyone willing to help can pm me and I'll discuss it with Noob about getting you access :)

jesusatemyhotdog
09-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Couldn't some of the programming experts just steal sherdog's shit and set it up?

I don't know, just throwing it out there.

Jza
09-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Yea but surely it's better to have our own which our own people have worked on and contributed to.

Jza
09-07-2007, 12:12 AM
Not really....Were just not smart enough.lol
What he's suggesting could be done by almost anyone with a little experience in coding. Seriously on your average forum could prolly find 15+ people who could do it.

Noob
09-07-2007, 12:32 AM
Im pretty sure Thumper or Clint could do it. Likely a handful of others.

Jza
09-07-2007, 12:37 AM
Yep that was my point Noob :)
If ya wanna do that fine, Just thought would be better havin one we all worked for

thumper
09-07-2007, 04:02 AM
The right way to do this would be to hire a programmer to write a small backend for this. it wouldn't have to be big, or complicated. We're talking about simple data unless you wanted to get carried away.

If you had someone that could write good SQL queries it'd be a snap. Course that's also why good SQL programmers get paid big bucks :).

really though, i'm serious when I say this isn't a hard thing to do. the backend only has to be done once and if it's intuitive or at least designed by someone that understands it then all you have left is to have the right people enter the data. Forum support could easily manage that.

This site's here for profit, why not approach the owner? This really isn't that big a problem as long as it doesn't get carried away with the complexity.

if the owner isn't willing to dime up we can surely do it within the community. Who else here does programming? I do php/mysql/javascript/.net/C etc I'm just not a pro SQL guy. I know queries obviously but the trick is to get really nice efficient queries that can do neato stuff.

thumper
09-07-2007, 04:04 AM
Im pretty sure Thumper or Clint could do it. Likely a handful of others.

Do what? i'm confused. I'd be willing to help any way I can.

Clint
09-07-2007, 01:19 PM
The best way would be a SQL server backend (which would need hosted on the webserver) and an ASP.net front end to see/add to the database. The problem being that is a whole lot of work for someone to do for free and I dunno if the owner is willing to pay for it (and probably buy SQL as well since I doubt they already have a liscense)

Clint
09-07-2007, 01:32 PM
For reference the Database should probably look something like this if you really wanted to be able to add some powerful queries to it:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/clintw07/Drawing1.jpg

thumper
09-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Well I could construct the db and build a backend. but it would take a little time. I'm not going to do something that's junk. I'd sanitize all the code so it's secure. I'd be willing to take on the project but can't do it by myself.