PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Advice

Kimuras"R"Us
09-12-2007, 04:12 AM
Hey everyone.

I have my first submission grappling tournament on the 22nd. I was wondering if you could give me some tips as to how I should taper off my training over the next week and a half. Usually I lift extermely hard monday and wednesday and roll tuesday / thursday. I do this because I'm big (6'2 242) and want my muscles to be tired when I start my roll so that I must rely on technique moreso than strength. Anyway, should I taper my lifting starting monday or just go light wednesday or whatever you feel like telling me i'll appreciate. Also meal advice starting Thursday would be nice.

Thanks a lot.

Fonzi

Noob
09-12-2007, 05:12 AM
I have no vast wealth of wisdom, but I try not to lift for at least 4 days before competition. Your body normally takes up to 72 hours to recover from a hard lift.

I also start to go carb heavy the days leading up to the fight. Also about 4 days, though I do this only because it's easier for me to make most of my transitions on the same day instead of changing something every day. Clean, complex carbs, easy on the sugar and refined stuff. This is assuming weight isn't an issue.

I drill like a motherfucker the days leading up to a tournament. Little things start to stand out in my head, things that I know are weaknesses, and I just drill them endlessly. Sometimes 1,000 or more repetitions in a day. It's not too strenuous, but it seems to do wonders for me mentally. Just reinforcing a sense of preparedness that relaxes me.

I forget which quarterback it was, I think Tom Brady. Someone interviewed him and asked what his secret was for not being overly nervous before a game and he responded something like "Why would I be nervous for a test if I have all the answers?"

Sounds simplistic, but I try to take that approach. It's never perfect, but it gives me one less thing to worry about.

And above all, good luck buddy.

Kimuras"R"Us
09-12-2007, 05:33 AM
Good Luck and kick some ass.....Any chance that you will be recording the event?

Thanks for the advice and good wishes. I have no idea if anyone is recording it or not, if they do I'll try and get it uploaded here asap.... assuming I win of course, lol.

Kimuras"R"Us
09-12-2007, 05:52 AM
lol, either way we would like to see it.

I wish I could give you more advise but I'm going to my second BJJ class tomorrow.lol

What you're not a blackbelt yet? You fuckin pussy!!!!

haha I'm just playin, I remember my first couple classes when I didn't have the breathing down yet and I was dead after like 2 minutes. Apparently everything they said about not being able to muscle your way out of BJJ moves was true?!?!? Lol.

Kimuras"R"Us
09-12-2007, 05:57 AM
Yea, I'm pretty much going threw that right now.lol

I just read your post in the other thread about your first class. Sounds like you did pretty well for yourself on your first day. They put me with the sensei's son to protect me and then afterwards I learned that no one at the school has ever passed his guard, so needless to say my first class wasn't a complete sucess.

Keep it up though it's funny one day it just clicks and you get the breathing / expending energy thing down and then you actually get a chance to use your technique for extended periods of time... and when you get the chance kick Legend's ass will you? haha

Kimuras"R"Us
09-22-2007, 09:10 PM
I ended up only having one other person in my weight class for my BJJ tourney today (not a lot of super heavyweights 225+) but I pretty much shut him out. Didn't get the sub like I hoped, but for my first tournament I'll take the W any way I can. I have the vid, it's going to look like a round of a Sean Sherk match, but I'll post it anyway if you guys want. Thanks for the advice and support, I can't wait to drink all the beers in the world tonight.

kaiz77
09-22-2007, 09:15 PM
looking forward to seeing the vid.....keep up the good work!!....
happy training