PDA

View Full Version : Cost of eating well.

Metalhead
09-12-2007, 08:49 PM
A couple things:

1) Why is healthier food, organic food, so much more expensive than unhealty shit? If produce has no pesticides should it not be cheaper? I want to eat organic, and local ect, but sometimes it's twice as expensive for less amount.

2) How much should a container of protein powder cost. I've seen anywhere from 20 bucks to 69 bucks for the same size of just regular whey powder. Is there really much difference between no name protein and name protein?

Clint
09-12-2007, 09:24 PM
1) Healthy food is more expensive because it has a short shelf life. A box of twinkies will last for years. Go with frozen stuff where possible it is just as healthy and much cheaper

2) It depends on a few different variables but in general the cheapest stuff isn't a good choice and the most expensive stuff is probably a rip off. ~25 bucks for a 2lb jug is about what I pay (I like Optimum Nutriion 100% Whey)

adonis
09-12-2007, 09:29 PM
1) Organics are more expensive because they target a niche market. There is very little competition between the big 3 Organic food markets. More crops are lsot to insects/enviromental factors b/c there is no pesticide; drives costs up.

really, for organics, keep it too:
fruits that are on sale, especially grapes, berries and apples.
veggies on sale, especially lettuce and brocolli
grass fed beef
skinless chicken breasts.

skip the seafood (not USDA regualted).

2) Look at the serving size and I think you will be pleasantly supirsed. Look to get 18-25grams of protein per scoop of powder. I like ON, MRM, and Dorian Yates approved (more expensive). Look to get 50+ servings in a 5lbs container.

Generally you will see 1-4 scoops of powder per shake. This can dramatically reduce the number of servings, forcing you to buy another 5lbs bucket.

Mix it with Milk to get an additional 10+grams of protein.

Metalhead
09-12-2007, 11:30 PM
1) Organics are more expensive because they target a niche market. There is very little competition between the big 3 Organic food markets. More crops are lsot to insects/enviromental factors b/c there is no pesticide; drives costs up.

really, for organics, keep it too:
fruits that are on sale, especially grapes, berries and apples.
veggies on sale, especially lettuce and brocolli
grass fed beef
skinless chicken breasts.

skip the seafood (not USDA regualted).

2) Look at the serving size and I think you will be pleasantly supirsed. Look to get 18-25grams of protein per scoop of powder. I like ON, MRM, and Dorian Yates approved (more expensive). Look to get 50+ servings in a 5lbs container.

Generally you will see 1-4 scoops of powder per shake. This can dramatically reduce the number of servings, forcing you to buy another 5lbs bucket.

Mix it with Milk to get an additional 10+grams of protein.

What do you mean skip the seafood?

adonis
09-13-2007, 02:33 AM
What do you mean skip the seafood?

don't buy organic seafood as it's not regulated. You can still get seafood, but don't pay extra if it says organic. I may not be.

thebwit
09-13-2007, 03:30 PM
I like Seafood to, and it would seem that any wildcaught sea food would be organic, No?

*This is probably a stupid ass question as they probably put Meth in the fish when they get it back to harbor.(Nick Diaz told me)

There are actually differences in what people consider "Wild caught" which really sucks. Take for instance wildcaught sockeye salmon. There are at least 3 types of this fish that I have seen in different stores. The kind at your local chain grocery store is "wild caught" in the fact that they just go to the end of the stream or river and throw a net in and catch it. Still the same way they catch regular fish.

Then there is the kind that is harvested up the river a bit further which the rigging for the nets is too big or something like that, so they have to use a smaller net typically cast off via something similiar to a fishing rod, but not quite.

Finally the third kind is caught at the top of the stream where the fewest fish are and are litterly caught by a guy with a fishing rod and a boat. Now the difference between these other than the first costing $4 per lb and the later costing $28 per lb? Supposidly more omega-3's in the later, but I will say the later does have a much better taste. Don't get me wrong the $4 kind tastes great, but the $28 is that much better.

Now I am just waiting for "Bear Caught" salmon and we are golden.

Metalhead
09-13-2007, 06:00 PM
I just get my seafood at a fish market I used to work at. 9.99lb for sockey and spring salmon caught just down the road.

June<3
09-27-2007, 06:47 AM
ok, i am not a big seafood fan...and i know red meat isn't the healthiest...so i was wondering if anyone knew how good chicken was for you aswell as the protein level it has? or if i should use supplements such as the protein shakes??? (just looking for a healthy balance)

Clint
09-27-2007, 01:19 PM
ok, i am not a big seafood fan...and i know red meat isn't the healthiest...so i was wondering if anyone knew how good chicken was for you aswell as the protein level it has? or if i should use supplements such as the protein shakes??? (just looking for a healthy balance)
Lean red meat is fine for you and chicken is great. Check out the link to the 7 habits of nutrition in the FAQ. You should try to get a protein at every meal and a serving of veggies as well at every meal.

June<3
09-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Awesome. thank you

thumper
09-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Good info in this thread.

one thing I'd like to add. There are also farm raised fish. They're grown in pens and tanks.

If you watch dirty jobs they show one in depth.

But as long as they don't feed them turds or something I don't think it matters much

Metalhead
09-27-2007, 06:03 PM
There has been considerable debate in this region against farmed fish. I dont' know all the details but apparently, you don't want to eat more than 2 servings of farmed salmon a week whereas you can eat wild every day. Not that you would want to, but apparently there are huge issues with farmed fish.

But I'm sure there's a huge debate in favour of the other way.

halozero
10-01-2007, 02:06 AM
yeah, here in WI, they say there are limits to how much river fish pregnant women and kids should eat due to the {almost} complete lack of regulation for dumping mercury and carcinogens by paper mills. {fish absorb these poisons and cannot excrete them} these paper mills {and coal plants among others} are allowed to trade "pollution" credits, making any regulation a joke.

as for local organic, look in your area for food co-ops. there are several here, and you can buy a "share" for the season for $200 or so, and they deliver enough produce to feed a family of 4 once a week for 3-5 months.

i won't get in to the animal rights aspect of meat, but it is decaying protein, and not nearly as healthy as living vegetable protein.

in western countries, our problem is too much protein, not too little. most americans get at least twice as much protein as they need. almost everything contains protein- unless you eat nothing but junk food, it’s almost impossible to eat as many calories as you need for good health without getting enough protein. this includes those looking to build lean muscle---see mac danzig

healthy sources include whole-wheat bread, oatmeal, beans, peanuts, peas, nuts, mushrooms, and broccoli. by contrast, too much protein, especially animal protein, can cause people to excrete calcium through their urine and increase their risk of osteoporosis. too much protein can also strain the kidneys, leading to kidney disease. you do not need to combine foods at each meal to get “complete protein.” all grains, legumes, vegetables, nuts, and seeds provide all the essential amino acids.

and finally, from web MD: superfoods! (http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/superfoods-everyone-needs)

since i cut out red meat--i have gained about 10 pounds of muscle, and all i do is a couple hundred pushups and situps every other day, and dumbell curls. i became diabetic at 18 {i'm 30 now} in HS i wrestled and played football at around 165--i averaged 120-30 for the last several years, but am putting on muscle at an alarming rate. i'm about 145 now

hope that helps