PDA

View Full Version : When you think of MMA......

jrod17
09-15-2007, 04:02 AM
When you think of the sport of MMA and if you were to try and explain it to some one who hasn't even heared of it before. What fight would u show them to best explain the various aspects of MMA.

Basically what iam sayin is..when you think of MMA what fight immediately comes to mind?

Well...before i watched some of the new lightweight fights..i would've of should them Frank Shamrock vs Tito Ortiz BUT now...i would have to show them a Frank Edgar vs Tyson Griffin or even a Clay Guida vs Tyson Griffin.

Or show them one of my favs Fedor vs Cro Cop for some of the Pride experience..they will never get to see again

jrod17
09-15-2007, 06:44 PM
so no one..has a favorite MMA fight

awesome

sabreclaww
09-15-2007, 07:26 PM
i cant say it's my fav....but bonnar giffen 1 is a great example of the standup aspect of MMA.

unfortunately, I have found that some people are still thinking it's barbaric. So having said that, a fight like Couture Silvia would also rock to watch as an intro to the sport. What did you think of those two?

LookitsLance
09-15-2007, 11:45 PM
Im actually putting together a intro to mma package with a couple fights, showcasing weight classes, types of wins, the rules of mma and such, it should be out mon-wed, one of those days..as for a single fight? I LOVE the Griffin/Guida fight, its a good fight, but if you wanna show him a fight with bigger guys, maybe Wandy vs Rampage? or Shogun vs Rampage..both good fights, and not the longest most boring things :)

ufobydeath
09-16-2007, 01:04 AM
Sakuraba vs Royce Gracie 1 ;)

In all seriousness though, one of the greatest fights I've ever seen was Gomi vs Kawajiri so that would be a good pick (though Saku vs Royce is a great fight for people without ADD to watch)

Steel
09-16-2007, 02:35 AM
There are several fights that come to mind.

Chuck/Tito: The experienced veteran taking the young upstart to school...

Hughes/Joyce: The end of the Gracie era

Fedor/CC: An example of strength, tenacity and heart

GSP/Hughes: A passing of the torch for future greatness

theres so many more...

jrod17
09-16-2007, 08:26 PM
thanks guys for responding....

rep'd me plz

valheruking
09-16-2007, 08:29 PM
No, rep'd me plz

neonatural45
09-16-2007, 08:31 PM
barnett vs Nog 1 and 2

nog vs sergei

if you show them bonnar vs Griffen they will think the sport is two guys swinging wildly for each others heads, not the fight I would choose. Hell not even top 50

Storm442
09-16-2007, 08:53 PM
There are several fights that come to mind.

Chuck/Tito: The experienced veteran taking the young upstart to school...

Hughes/Joyce: The end of the Gracie era

Fedor/CC: An example of strength, tenacity and heart

GSP/Hughes: A passing of the torch for future greatness

theres so many more...I like your examples. Very nice.

Punk Ass
09-16-2007, 08:56 PM
I think it's best just to show the transition from single disapline to MMA over the years.

Start with Royce, showing him beating bigger and better fighters and proving BJJ the most practical.

Then show the acquisition of GNP where Coleman and Randleman ruled.

Then show the stand up aspect when Marco Ruas, Bas, Vitor, and Maurice Smith came in.

Now comes Pride, explain the history, show fights with Nog vs Bob Sapp, Saku vs Royce, Wandy, and the greatest Fedor.

Then show the stand out greats like Frank, Tito, BJ Penn, Hughes, Rampage, and Captian America.

Then talk about the present, and the future.

Sounds like a good doc.

Ramma
09-19-2007, 04:04 AM
Ummm...I would show them

Karo vs. Burkman (I just feel this fight is pretty good with an amazing throw)
Karo vs. Serra (I could use a Wanderlei fight for this, but to show good recovery and a good fight)
Fedor vs. Nog I (over all good fight that goes everywhere)
Belfort vs. Eastman (just to show that a fight can end in the blink of an eye)
Sakuraba vs. Royce I (for endurance purposes and a great fight)
Cro Cop vs. Wanderlei (for stand up purposes)
Cro Cop vs. Coleman (to show some great TDD)
Shogun vs. Rampage (great use of the clinch)
Frank Shamrock vs. Tito Ortiz (Decent fight with a lesson: keep that stamina up)
GSP/Arlovski vs. a few people (just to show some fast stand up)
Fedor vs. Randleman (for skill and awareness purposes)
Wanderlei vs. Sakuraba (the whole series, good fights)
Diaz vs. Gomi (exciting from beginning to end)
Couture vs. Liddell (the whole series, all good fights)

at the end of it all. Cro Cop vs. Fedor

that is just off the top of my head.. I might also show Forrest vs. Bonnar.. just because it is a stand up war and an exciting fight that shows a lot of heart.

jrod17
09-19-2007, 04:11 AM
awesome list man

matto
09-19-2007, 06:25 AM
interesting question, but the fedor vs. cc thing gets to me. even before cc's 2 losses in a row i always thought that fedor was a lot better then cc, better then their closer fight made it look.

matto
09-19-2007, 06:29 AM
why does gsp look like kermit?

i was also thinking about how td defence is ranked. people are always very fast to say that liddell or cc have the best td defence in mma. i disagree, they have the best td defence for a striker who wants to keep the fight standing. but how do you know that a very seasoned wrestler doesnt have better td defence if given the chance. they havent just wrestled their whole life just to get td's they have a huge knowledge and skills of how to defend takedowns from top level wrestlers too. its just that they are the ones that usually want the fight to go to the ground, so they take their opponents down. but what if they faced somebody that wanted to take them down? do you not think that they could have far better td defence then a liddell or cc?

sandywh
09-19-2007, 06:32 AM
watch a Clay Guida fight:
Griffin / Horn
Karo Parysian
Diaz / Gomi
Fedor Emelianeko
Dan Henderson
and just for pure fun - Aleksander Emelianeko