PDA

View Full Version : Starting The Gym Tommorow

pimpslappd
09-16-2007, 10:21 PM
I am starting at the gym tommorow. I was just wondering what is the best things to eat, purchase to help me along the way. I wanna start by slimming down then tone up, what are the best diets, foods, tips, what I should do at the gym anything and all advice will help, anything I should use for energy, pills to buy anything. I dunno the fastest way to lose weight best stuff to do basically.

Tick
09-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Well, I cant really give much advice myself, but a nice FAQ has been developed here full of resources to help you along your way.
http://forums.mmanews.com/showthread.php?t=4155

Take a look through there. Might I also suggest look for posts by adonis. In his sig he has a link to his blog, which is full of weight lifting advice along with MMA related items. Along with that link is a link to a message board.

http://www.extremefitness.com/ <-- The message board he has linked
http://charlesgym.blogspot.com/ <-- His blog
(credit for both of those sites goes strictly to adonis, whom is also the tao of fitness)

Hopefully you find something useful out of all of that.

Pythonfighter14
09-16-2007, 10:47 PM
I like to do pyramids. Thats where you do a set of 10, add weight then do 8, add weight and do 6, add weight and do 4, add weight and do 2.

kylewyzle2005
09-22-2007, 01:26 AM
make sure you have a workout partner. without a workout partner, its hard to have motivation, someone to push to the gym and to the next rep. on supplements, nos blast(nitrix oxide) is really good for working out. also, creatine and lots of protein if your looking to gain muscle.

rafesparza
09-24-2007, 10:51 PM
yea i'm trying to formulate my own 12 week short term plan to follow.

nothing major. just want to start something to get back into stronger shape.

DirtyDirtBiker
11-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Well, I cant really give much advice myself, but a nice FAQ has been developed here full of resources to help you along your way.
http://forums.mmanews.com/showthread.php?t=4155

Take a look through there. Might I also suggest look for posts by adonis. In his sig he has a link to his blog, which is full of weight lifting advice along with MMA related items. Along with that link is a link to a message board.

http://www.extremefitness.com/ <-- The message board he has linked
http://charlesgym.blogspot.com/ <-- His blog
(credit for both of those sites goes strictly to adonis, whom is also the tao of fitness)

Hopefully you find something useful out of all of that.

Hey thanks for the links man! The http://charlesgym.blogspot.com actually talks about some fish oil study - something I've been looking for, for a while now. Thanks and rep'ed ya.

MONSONBYCHOKE
11-15-2007, 04:57 PM
I am starting at the gym tommorow. I was just wondering what is the best things to eat, purchase to help me along the way. I wanna start by slimming down then tone up, what are the best diets, foods, tips, what I should do at the gym anything and all advice will help, anything I should use for energy, pills to buy anything. I dunno the fastest way to lose weight best stuff to do basically.
Ok well...if your trying to slim down you need to limit your caloric intake. I would suggest, Oatmeal in the AM with a table spoon of peanut butter, glass of OJ and a bannana. I would also look into getting some whey protein as a food replacement in about 2 hrs after breakfast. For lunch or even after you get out of the gym i would have some No-Fat cottage cheese, and a Turk sandwich on whole grain or wheat bread (or a grilled chicked salad.. NO WHITE BREAD! Supper is ussually Chicken for me with 2 greens of any type. Let me know if you need any help with anything. There are various diets and supplements depending what your goal's are.

As for gym if your goal at this point is stricktly to slim down I would do interval training. Get on the bike when you get to the gym. Set the level somwhere aroud 5 set the time for 20 -30 min. Get on the bike and go at a quick but comfortable rate for the first 2 minutes. At the end of that 2nd minute bump the level up to 13 or 14 and pedal as hard as you can and fast for a minute and then put level back to 5 and keep doing this till the time is up. You will burn calories all day because of this.

If you want lifting tips let me know. I am here to help you if you want it

kokaine
11-18-2007, 07:53 AM
good luck hope u stay consistent unlike me ...

DirtyDirtBiker
11-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Hey pimpslappd, whats the update on your working out now?

Ramma
11-26-2007, 05:46 PM

Pills and such aren't really necessary. Just work hard and the pounds will come off.

Eat healthy (at least try to eat a healthy breakfast and lunch). Oatmeal or Kashi Cereal are good for morning meals. I try to eat healthy all week, this way if I need to splurge on the weekend, I can.

Drink lots of water - I mean seriously, do what I do, buy the huge water container that is meant for reuse and travel (they are sold at GNC, CVS, etc) and drink the whole thing throughout the course of the day. Make sure the water is cold. Fill it with ice. Intaking cold water into your body burns calories because your body has to work double time to heat it up. Water, WATER, WATER.

Be sensible.. when you get on the exercise bike, olypitical, etc.. don't go balls to the wall for 5 minutes and then give up. Most people's aerobic/anaerobic threshold (something like that) occurs usually after 15-20 minutes, this is when the body REALLY starts burning calories. Do a decent pace for longer periods of time. Taking sections of time to sprint is always good (maybe not in the way beginning, depends on what type of shape you are in). Quality over Quanity.

Stretch/Warm Up before your work out.. and stretch again after your work out.. After working out is the best time to stretch. Your body is loose and you can maximize your flexibility. Not to mention that it is a good to do as a cool down activity.

Everyone else gave good advice too.. training partners always help for example.

Paytheplayer
11-29-2007, 07:11 AM
Great Post Ramma...
I second that awesome post. Ive been workin out for years and didnt know that about the aerobic/anaerobic threshold timing thing. Just goes to show u that u can always learn something new. Itll help me a lot because its not hard for me to gain, I went from 195 - 220 in 2 months. But now Im tryin to slim down because Im not liking the BIG build. I've only lost 5 lbs since(2 months ago), but im still consistent at the gym. Problem with me is Im too stubborn to get away from heavy lifting because I dont wanna lose strength, and at the end of my workouts I get too lazy to fit in my cardio.
O and im inconsistent with my diet. So theres a couple pointers on what NOT to do if ur trying to slim down haha

kokaine
12-30-2007, 07:21 AM
nice info ... oh and dont quit going to the gym which I do alot... I have these spurts where i go routinely then i dont go for 2 months... i fucking hate the lacking discipline I have.