PDA

View Full Version : motivation

Tyler4870
09-19-2007, 04:59 AM
I turn 30 in January and would like to shoot for a goal of losing 30 lbs by then. Currently I am 6', 265 lbs. I do have a problem with motivation and staying motivated. I can work out like a mule for awhile but then lose it fast. I had a competition with a guy at work a few month's back and lost 10 lbs, I like competition and thrive on it, but I cannot find anyone to compete with on this. Any suggestions?

Tyler4870
09-19-2007, 05:34 AM
Are you Married?

Or have a GF?

I am married.

Ubermensch
09-19-2007, 06:01 AM
Or you can go the other rout a Fuck like no tomorrow every day. Fucking burns some serious calories!!

mbassy
09-19-2007, 06:04 AM
Or you can go the other rout a Fuck like no tomorrow every day. Fucking burns some serious calories!!

yeah i was thinking that reading sundance's post...sounds like an option to me :devil:

adonis
09-19-2007, 10:20 PM
You had said in your original post, you can workout like a mule for a couple weeks, and than stop.

It goes by many names, overtraining/burning out/fatigue, but the bottom line is the same.

Workouts and Diets MUST be organized and periodized if you wnat to be successfull in reaching your physique/motivation goals.

Our bodies are capable of handling a certain amount of stress, we go over that amount, and we experience a burnout. Physiologically, RMR goes down, lean tissue decreases, strength decrease, insulin resistance increases, cortisol increase, central adipose tissue is increased...

You need to take out your day timer, and plan 2 workouts each week for the next 2 weeks. Weeks 3 through 8 you will be folowing a 3 day weight trainig program. Re-Evaluate motivation/stress at this point.

Still feeling good, plan another couple weeks of training, following a similar progressive overload to maximize gains.

Strating to get run down, you should take a deload week. Folow your current program but decrease the working sets by 50%.

Silvastar
09-19-2007, 11:36 PM
For ever 10lbs you loose your dick will grow 1 inch.:grinsmile1:

Storm442
09-20-2007, 12:41 AM
For ever 10lbs you loose your dick will grow 1 inch.:grinsmile1:Josh Haynes must be hung like a mule then!

(He was 330lbs. + just a few years ago -now 170lbs)

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/5082/icfcvf6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Submissionist
09-20-2007, 05:40 AM
For ever 10lbs you loose your dick will grow 1 inch.:grinsmile1:

If that was true you would not see a fat dude anywhere on the planet. :devil:

Tyler4870
09-20-2007, 05:13 PM
You had said in your original post, you can workout like a mule for a couple weeks, and than stop.

It goes by many names, overtraining/burning out/fatigue, but the bottom line is the same.

Workouts and Diets MUST be organized and periodized if you wnat to be successfull in reaching your physique/motivation goals.

Our bodies are capable of handling a certain amount of stress, we go over that amount, and we experience a burnout. Physiologically, RMR goes down, lean tissue decreases, strength decrease, insulin resistance increases, cortisol increase, central adipose tissue is increased...

You need to take out your day timer, and plan 2 workouts each week for the next 2 weeks. Weeks 3 through 8 you will be folowing a 3 day weight trainig program. Re-Evaluate motivation/stress at this point.

Still feeling good, plan another couple weeks of training, following a similar progressive overload to maximize gains.

Strating to get run down, you should take a deload week. Folow your current program but decrease the working sets by 50%.

Thanks for you help. I will do my best. I think I may have been overdoing it. I was lifting every other day and doing cardio on off days. I should be taking it slower and not diving right in like that.

pillow
09-20-2007, 06:26 PM
I hate cardio. If you like lifting, maybe just do cardio less. Or make cardio something like basketball, that's fun. That is usually the only way I will ever do cardio.

But I love lifting, and do it every day. So maybe you can mix up your split to something more feasible in the long run? Something that complements which aspects of exercise you enjoy the most.

Metalhead
09-20-2007, 06:43 PM
I dunno about you guys, but when it's leg day I sweat like a beast. Almost like a cardio day.

Noob
10-09-2007, 05:01 AM
lol. I can see how that conversation goes..

"Look hunny, I need to lose some weight.. grab a magazine, a sandwich, and the remote and bend over.. it is going to be a while."

Haha, this is the post of the week.

blackfox
10-09-2007, 05:52 AM
Dude you gotta want it. If you don't want it no outside help in the world is gonna get it done for you bro. Thats what I had to do. Hell I still havent done all of this shit I wanna do yet, but I guess I don't want it that bad. One day I hope I can get myself right and if not then I guess I don't want it. Just think about it.

Noob
10-09-2007, 05:57 AM
Actually, this may sound weird but being on here is one of my biggest motivators to get in and train.

I have a hard time sitting around, watching fights, watching videos, talking about grappling/boxing/MMA, and then not doing any of it. I spend so much time on here moderating, that I would feel too much like an armchair quarterback if I didn't train.

There have been days, especially lately with a new school I'm going to, where I skipped a day here or there because of frustration. But then I just end up spending more time on here, watching old events and posting. And sure enough, a couple of days of that and I feel guilty and lazy and worthless and I go train.

Lol, it's probably not the healthiest cycle in the world, but it works for me. But I know myself well enough to know that sometimes being excessively lazy is a good thing. Because I know that I can't handle it for long. I develop a guilt complex and then really want to get out the door and go train.

Maybe it's no help, but maybe you can identify a similar psychological pattern you have that you can take advantage of. If you know yourself well enough, you can exploit your own tendencies. I know I'm a restless fucker, so I exploit that by sitting inside all day and reminding myself how much I hate that. If you have similar quirks, you can make them work for you.

Good luck buddy.

Pythonfighter14
10-13-2007, 04:26 AM
Tell yourself every time you finish a rep you'll get to knee someone you really hate in the nuts 1 time.

Works for me:deadhorse:

leejames1
10-14-2007, 06:01 PM
i think some one else said it, i think more then all the science of training and stuff like that u have to want it more then anything, i lost 100 lbs cos i wanted to do it and there was no one who was gonna tell me that i couldent and here i am today 110lbs lighter

Quintessential Studmuffin
10-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Cardio cardio and cardio is what I do to drop a few pounds.

Also try small rewards for yourself. Try a cheat day. one day a week you can eat what you want for breakfast and lunch(no pop) and just lounge around,fuck the wife,etc.

kokaine
11-18-2007, 08:52 AM
i get lazy alot too .. im getting back into routined schedule