PDA

View Full Version : What does everyone think of TUF now?

JPeezy
09-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Most hardcore MMA fans have viewed TUF fighters as a class below the other MMA fighters from Pride and what not. If I told you three years ago two TUF guys would beat Shogun and Liddell you'd call me crazy.

Right now Matt Serra is a champ, Joe Stevenson, Diego Sanchez, Josh Koscheck, & Kenny Florian are all fighting at championship caliber levels and holding their own vs the best in the sport.

Forrest Griffen, Rashad Evans, Keith Jardine, Chris Leben, all hold impressive victories over established MMA vets.

Kendall Grove, Nate Diaz, Manny Gamburion, Joe Lauzon, and others are good up and comers.

So has the perception of TUF fighters changed yet, or do you guys still think they are 2nd class citizens?

jrod17
09-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Even this being the sixth season..i love it even more then the other seasons

still an awesome show for me.

LookitsLance
09-23-2007, 06:42 PM
TUF fighters are doing good, or maybe the vets are all just getting tired of the sport.

Intellectual
09-23-2007, 09:41 PM
how can you even consider Serra a TUF fighter?

i was surprised that he was even on the show. he had a good resume and it was obvious he was going to be the winner.

same goes with Danzig for this season. i cant see anyone defeating.

-RampageUFC-
09-24-2007, 03:47 AM
Everyone has a chance in an MMA fight

Steel
09-24-2007, 03:53 AM
Any fighter can win at anytime in MMA. There are so many variables and I think the ongoing pressure of maintaining a streak is tough.

What did Forrest have to lose compared to Shogun? The pressure was really onesided IMP and I'm not making excuses..I'm glad Forrest won as he came to fight.

I'm not saying TUF fighters are better or worse than current mainstay fighters..I just think there are other variables such as the hunger factor, fatigue, mental pressure etc that differ between each type/class of fighter.

Braz
09-26-2007, 11:07 PM
Don't care for the soap opera quality it's taken on...a lot of the guys whine like cunts always bickering w/ one another.

Bullock
09-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Hey BRaz, did you get my pm on Sherdog? It was from TTR.

kingrobert
09-27-2007, 01:35 AM
You also forgot about Mike Swick, Stephan Bonnar, and Nate Quarry. I really hope Quarry can come back and be a force in the MW division.

JPeezy
09-27-2007, 03:31 AM
I agree that the guys like Serra and the rest of the vets from that season of TUF, really arent TUF fighters but vets who appeared on the show.

At any rate there are 10-15 legit contenders that have come to the forefront from that show.

I think it's the best thing yet to bring MMA to the masses.

I'm of the theory that more fans = more money. More money = the best fighters progress to the UFC which brings the best fighter all in one place for the best fights. We all win in the end!

pezz
09-27-2007, 04:31 AM
I like the show from the beginning ,i like the fights more the antics on the show,but a lot of the guys really stepped up there training & becoming great fighters.

Umbras
09-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Its getting a tad to soap opprahish imo, its getting away from introducing people to the sport, to seeing what crazy and zany things will happen in the house this week.

I prefer the way they had physical challenges as they had in the first few seasons, so you could get more of an idea who was going to make it and who could not cut it. Also the whole idea of having alcohol in the house while they are training just goes to show its more about the drama that ensues than the fighters.

rafesparza
10-09-2007, 02:09 AM
While the production has become somewhat formulaic (the guys go nuts, to leave v. not to leave, the effects of losing)...

i can't help but believe the fact that some people actually do well outside of the show proves this is one of the few reality television shows whose contest doesn't reside in the way they make the show, but rather the form in which the fighters evolve.

i'm fine with it as a launching point for new fighters... because of the multiple MMA organizations (and the growing popularity of the sport), it becomes difficult to keep up with every single fighter that emerges.

but yea. all and all, i still get as stoked watching it today as i did four years ago.