PDA

View Full Version : Need advice

strife
09-24-2007, 10:48 PM
Ever since I had my humorous broken in half in a jiu-jitsu tournament December 9th, 2006 and after recovery (I can now say I have 100% motion and strength back in my shoulder/arm), I have only been to my academy once to train. I was actually very successful, still fluid in all movements, defenses, submissions, sweeps and control positions. However, this was almost two months ago and I just can't find myself getting motivated to start training again regularly like I had before my arm being broken so severely. With this being said, any and all advice on how you personally get yourselves motivated or just advice on how I could would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Noob
09-24-2007, 11:26 PM
I've never had a really serious injury (knock on wood) so I can't say that I know the mindset that goes into coming back from such a thing.

For general advice I would say to relax and let it fester. I find that jumping right back in after a small injury isn't always the best way to go. Sometimes taking a while off, even several months is a good thing because you realize how much you miss it. Not having that in your life puts into perspective how important it is.

Conversely, maybe it's not what you thought it was. Maybe there is the chance that it doesn't mean as much to you as it used to. Taking some time off will let you know this as well. If the fire just doesn't come back, it may be a sign.

I have always found that time off is a good thing. I am just now getting back into a new gym after a nearly 3 month layoff. I suck, have lost a few steps, and I hurt all over. But I wouldn't change it for anything.

Give it time, come to peace with whatever you are feeling, and be honest with yourself about what it is that you are feeling. Is it a lack of desire? A fear that you won't be the same coming back? Maybe the possibility of injuring yourself again. Or is it maybe just a good reason to not do something that wasn't in your heart? Or it could just be that you're being lazy and need to kick yourself in the butt.

Whatever it is, give it a few days, a few weeks and ponder it over. Be honest about your feelings and try to come to terms with them. Once you've made peace with yourself it will be much easier to live with whatever decision you make.

Good luck buddy, and I hope you are happy no matter what you decide.

strife
09-24-2007, 11:43 PM
In all honesty, since the injury occurred I had the entire 5 months of being in a cast to think about training and wanting to get back on the mats again. I've now rehabbed myself back and have been lifting for months now trying to achieve that physical peak I was at when I started training in the first place last year. When I went back a few months ago I found out I was in great shape and hadn't lost a step, still molesting the white belts there that had still been progressing since my time off due to injury. It was kind of funny to be honest, no one knew me since I was such an "old-schooler" at this place but I come in there after having my arm broken in half and completely clear the place. I was there til they had to kick me out, and I don't know why I haven't gone back since....

I don't know man, it was just such a downer when everything happened because it was really bad timing. I was really close to a blue belt and now I'd have to start over. I'm so torn with what I want to do with everything I don't know where to start again. I have been lifting and doing cardio to stay in top shape, but I just want that drive to get back into training 5 days a week again because I really enjoy the time I spent on the mat whether it was learning striking or rolling some jiu-jitsu/judo.

Steel
09-25-2007, 01:58 AM
That's a tough situation Strife.

I'm glad you're healed and hava couple of questions that may help your decision:

How old are you? Do you have a family? What do you do for a living? All these factors should be considered as they could be altered if you are seriously injured. If they don't play imnto the equation than why not go back and take it slow?

I am 37 and have lots of rag tag injuries that keep me from being hardcore like I was..but I'd kick myself if I never went back at all. That mental stigma is tough to live with too.

Hang in there and remember you have to be happy no matter which way you go.

Tick
09-25-2007, 02:31 AM
I never had as serious of an injury as that, but I have torn my ACL a few times. What I have learned is that there is that little bit of doubt in your mind on whether you can do something continually until you do it. Instead of setting your goal to go there 5 days a week, set that goal to be 1 time week one and twice a week for the next two weeks and slowly work your way to 5 days or whatever your goal is. I am sure once you get in the habit of going again you will sit there and wonder why it took you so long to do it.

strife
09-25-2007, 08:46 AM
That's a tough situation Strife.

I'm glad you're healed and hava couple of questions that may help your decision:

How old are you? Do you have a family? What do you do for a living? All these factors should be considered as they could be altered if you are seriously injured. If they don't play imnto the equation than why not go back and take it slow?

I am 37 and have lots of rag tag injuries that keep me from being hardcore like I was..but I'd kick myself if I never went back at all. That mental stigma is tough to live with too.

Hang in there and remember you have to be happy no matter which way you go.

I'm 21, I don't have a family and I go to school full time. I'm in great shape but I just feel so lazy and useless during the day and I can't find myself wanting to do much of anything. I honestly don't know what's wrong with me. I'm also never hungry until 2pm for some reason.

Noob
09-25-2007, 01:09 PM
I'm 21, I don't have a family and I go to school full time. I'm in great shape but I just feel so lazy and useless during the day and I can't find myself wanting to do much of anything. I honestly don't know what's wrong with me. I'm also never hungry until 2pm for some reason.

This might seem like an odd suggestion, but maybe depression? I've had the bug before, and it manifests in strange ways. It's not always the stereotypical symptoms you think of.

Just a thought.

ufobydeath
09-25-2007, 03:46 PM
I know that feeling man... all I can say is that when you feel the urge to train then go for it, even if you have to force yourself out of the door! The big problem I found going back when I got hurt a few years ago was to get into the training mentality again. I think a huge part of it is that you feel that you lost your chance at the blue belt and I know how much that can drag you down but give it another go! Make it a goal to reach blue belt like you meant to before the injury and if you don't feel like going after that then you've at least finished what you started out to do.

Frasedog
09-25-2007, 04:16 PM
It's not healthy that I do this, but I really beat myself up mentally when I get lazy or skip a class. I guess it's what I do to motivate myself. Now your situation is a little different because you had an injury. Also I realize that once I get up there (to class) that I'll have fun and enjoy it. It's getting in the car and driving there that is the hard part. It's all how you look at things.

kaiz77
09-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Hey bro...stick in there man....you will feel greatly rewarded when you accomplish what you set out to do.....
Im 21 myself full time student....tore my acl 2 yrs ago and had all ligaments/ some muscles in my shoulder torn(surgery in December) most recently...

competing is a bug man...that you wont easily be rid of....
my injuries have helped me GREATLY when it comes to my grappling and motivation....use it as a drive to push yourself!!!....and at our age....bro this is our only shot.....

this is when you are going to find your character!!....who do you wanna be man???!!........I just know that I would regret it every second if I would have gave up....

and another thing that helps me to keep motivated is to keep reinventing moves that you already know and maybe even stumble on some new inventions for yourself...I keeps you alert...learning......challenging.....and something ever changing.....

Good luck man......I know you have a lot of good people here supporting you...

NixHex
09-26-2007, 03:44 PM
I just think you're going through a little rough patch man. I had this myself lately, I didn't get injured but I moved into my first house & started a new semester on top of working full time... so it's been hard for me to get motivated enough to make the 20 min drive to my gym. So what I did was had friends who take BJJ classes come over to my house, and get rolling like that. We've been watching instructionals & pretty much self teaching. This is much more convenient, loose, and cheaper.

Maybe you should try something like that, but I wouldn't want you to throw away all your hard work. Remember what your goals were when you set out for this, but don't push yourself into doing something you don't have the drive for anymore. I have faith you'll be back on the mats when the time is right for you.

kaiz77
09-26-2007, 11:46 PM
thats what I do up here in Monroe...gotta meet up sometime....

self teaching helps me a great deal!!.....and sometimes I invite my friends with no prior bjj experience....that fun too...lol :grinsmile26:

Brandon
10-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Just yesterday I injured my arm at training. So now I type this with one hand. Training at home by yourself or with another person sounds like a good idea. This way you don't have to make the drive to the gym, but you still get to improve. Did you have this same feeling when it came time to start lifting weights and doing cardio again?

strife
10-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Just yesterday I injured my arm at training. So now I type this with one hand. Training at home by yourself or with another person sounds like a good idea. This way you don't have to make the drive to the gym, but you still get to improve. Did you have this same feeling when it came time to start lifting weights and doing cardio again?

Not at all, I was so stoked to get back into the gym because my arm was pathetic from all of the atrophy from the break. I just wanted to get back in there and make things normal again. Every time I tell myself I'm going to go to BJJ class and mark down that day in my head there is always something that seems to come up which makes me unable to go. Or the time to go will roll around and I just don't want to go. It makes no sense because I'll always think about how much I miss rolling and just learning the art all together. I feel like Evan Tanner, always setting a date but never actually doing anything on it.

Ramma
10-17-2007, 05:41 PM
I think the best thing you need to do Strife is be honest with yourself.

Is this something you want to keep doing? Or are you done? You may need more time off just from a psychological stand point. Procastination isn't the best thing in the world.

Take the rest of the month off.. don't set a date... and then see how you feel in 2 weeks.

Sometimes you have to walk away from something before you can walk towards it.

BJJ Boy
10-20-2007, 01:14 AM
So you need to get movtivated eh?

Well firstly id like to say when you were injured you never should have stopped training, light BJJ exercise would have still increased your game.

Now, onto getting you motivated.
The thing that motivates me the most is watching MMA Fights, as soon as i see a good match i think into my future, maybe i coul dbe a famous mma fighter?

So heres the most insirational video ive ever seen.

http://www.livevideo.com/video/embedLink/2B9C82866C70448A985A81AAFE22EB92/313359/the-shogun-from-brasil.aspx

Now get on your feet and start moving!