PDA

View Full Version : Downey hit on Mcammand

kickass32
09-26-2007, 11:20 PM
Has anyone seen this hit yet??? That's all they're talking about on the Fan 590 today (sports radio) I haven't seen it yet, but apparently it was pretty brutal.
Downey has a history of playing this way in Junior hockey....

eazye76
09-27-2007, 12:18 AM
I'd like to youtube this. Do you have anymore info - first names, teams, league, anything?

jesusatemyhotdog
09-27-2007, 12:19 AM
It was one of the biggest chicken shit plays that I have ever seen. It was worse than Bertuzzi. Worse than McSorley. The only hit that I have seen that was worse was Hunter on Turgeon.

You could have called a major penalty for charging, roughing and elbowing. Downie's sole intent was to end McAmmond.

Youtube link:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=322zqTkL0-c

kickass32
09-27-2007, 01:55 AM
Wow, Downie ( I guess thats why I couldn't find it on You Tube...I was spelling his name with a Y) launched himself at McAmmond like he was a fucking missile!!! It looked like he was about 2 feet in the air when he nailed him!!!!
Cowardly hit by a marginal player who has a history of this kind of thing......remember the whole hazing thing with the Windsor spitfires 2 years ago.....

kalebarker
09-27-2007, 05:29 AM
remember the whole hazing thing with the Windsor spitfires 2 years ago.....
Yea thats was fucked. That hazing was almost as bad as the hit. The guy is a retard he could have a very promising career if he didn't turn so violent.

Mac
09-27-2007, 05:38 PM
Did nobody go after this guy when he got out of the box?

jesusatemyhotdog
09-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Did nobody go after this guy when he got out of the box?

He wasn't in the box, he got tossed. He is suspended indefinitely, I would be shocked if he ever played another NHL shift again. This would have been his rookie year. The kid is a mental case, he had all kinds of problems while playing junior hockey.

kickass32
09-27-2007, 11:03 PM
The shitty thing is, he is a fringe player at best, and probably never would have been a bonafide NHL'er....So even giving him a year suspension is kinda pointless...he can go to Europe and play with no real consequence.
Hopefully the IIHF will uphold any NHL suspension.

kickass32
09-27-2007, 11:08 PM
A little background on the little punk Downie..............

Playing career
Downie was selected in the 1st round, 29th overall, in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft by the Philadelphia Flyers. Downie was suspended for 5 games, early in the 2005-06 OHL season for on-ice altercations with a teammate during practice. Downie blindly cross-checked and then fought teammate Akim Aliu during practice on September 28, knocking out 3 of Aliu's teeth. [1] The incident stemmed from 16 year old Aliu's refusal to take part in a hazing incident, which involved rookies being forced to stand naked in a cramped bus bathroom. The team suspended Downie for five games and Aliu for one and Downie was told to undergo professional counselling. Head coach Moe Mantha was suspended by the OHL and later fired by the team, and the team was fined $35,000 by the OHL. [2]. Downie left the team and requested a trade,and was eventually traded from the Windsor Spitfires, going to the Peterborough Petes in exchange for Peter Aston. Known for his high on-ice potential but immaturity in certain situations, Downie has also been involved in other unsportsmanlike incidents, including punching an opposing winger on the back of the head immediately after a face-off, when the winger was not aware. [3]

Brent Sutter named Downie to the Canadian World Junior Team for the 2006 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships. He made a name for himself in Vancouver where he was a contributor to Canada’s gold medal-winning effort, scoring two goals and four assists in six games and being named to the all-tournament team.

On May 30, 2006, the Philadelphia Flyers announced that they had signed Downie to a three-year entry-level contract. “It is unbelievable,” said Downie in a Flyers press release. “[Signing with the Flyers] was one of the goals that I had set at the beginning of the year and I am just very thankful for this chance. I’m a gritty, physical player and I also am an offensive player as well.”

After attending Flyers' training camp in the fall and playing in several preseason games, the club returned Downie to Peterborough.

Downie returned to the international stage yet again in December of 2006. He participated at the 2007 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships in Leksand and Mora, Sweden. On January 5, 2007, Team Canada won the gold medal for the first time on European ice since 1997, with a 4-2 defeat over Team Russia. Throughout the whole tournament, though, Downie was involved in trade rumors. He was speculated to be traded to the Kitchener Rangers, London Knights, Saginaw Spirit, Windsor Spitfires, or Sudbury Wolves, and on January 8, 2007, Downie was traded to Kitchener in exchange for Yves Bastien, the Rangers' second-round picks in the 2007 and 2008 OHL Priority Selections, as well as the 2007 second-round pick of the Brampton Battalion.

On September 25, 2007, Downie also involved in an incident in where he blindsided Dean McAmmond. McAmmond was wheeled off on a stretcher and Downie received a match penalty, which means that Downie was automatically suspended and the incident will be reviewed. [4]

Awards
2006: Gold Medal (2006 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships)
2007: Gold Medal (2007 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships)

Records

Career statistics
Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team League GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
2002-03 Aurora Tigers OPJHL 34 12 13 25 55 -- -- -- -- --
2003-04 Windsor Spitfires OHL 49 7 9 16 90 4 0 1 1 27
2004-05 Windsor Spitfires OHL 61 21 52 73 179 11 4 5 9 49
2005-06 Windsor Spitfires OHL 1 3 0 3 4 -- -- -- -- --
2005-06 Peterborough Petes OHL 34 16 34 50 109 19 6 15 21 38
2006-07 Peterborough Petes OHL 28 23 36 59 92 -- -- -- -- --
2006-07 Kitchener Rangers OHL 17 12 21 33 32 -- -- -- -- --
OHL Totals 188 82 152 234 506 34 10 21 31 114

Stats as of the end of the 2006-07 OHL Regular Season

Metalhead
09-28-2007, 12:17 AM
That was a terrible uncalled for hit, but I've seen that exact same hit more than once. Just watch some old Don Cherry Rock'em Sock'em tapes. It was definatly a head shot and the punk shouldn't play in the NHL. But it's not *that* bad comparatively speaking.

Mac
09-29-2007, 04:35 PM
I saw on Foxsports, he got 20 games.

sabreclaww
09-29-2007, 11:58 PM
rectum.....damn near...ah you know the joke......

ps.....yeah, very uncalled for, part of why people still jeer hockey for it's brutality. Way to set it back a few years chauchy!!!!

SgtFrenchy
09-30-2007, 02:24 AM
Definatelly a cheap hit. I mean the friggin guy came off both feet and nailed him. Mcammand wasn't even looking. Definatelly not off to a good start.

CEVANS
10-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Definatelly a cheap hit. I mean the friggin guy came off both feet and nailed him. Mcammand wasn't even looking. Definatelly not off to a good start.

mcammand not looking is his own fault imo

did he not also get ten games in the AHL as well ????

kickass32
10-03-2007, 10:03 PM
Yeah, Mcammond, anybody for that matter, really need to keep their head up when circling around the net with the puck.....that is not a defence for Downie, because it was still a cheap shot for sure.............

The AHL today said they were suspending Downie for 30 days...and he will still have to sit 20 if he is ever called up.

Highlander
10-04-2007, 05:35 AM
That was a cheap hit, but no way in hell is it worse than bertuzzi or mcsorely.

SgtFrenchy
10-04-2007, 06:34 AM
Yeah, Mcammond, anybody for that matter, really need to keep their head up when circling around the net with the puck.....that is not a defence for Downie, because it was still a cheap shot for sure.............

The AHL today said they were suspending Downie for 30 days...and he will still have to sit 20 if he is ever called up.
Ya I agree totally. That should be rule #1 in hockey, keep your head up. And Downie is definitely not getting off to a good start.

CEVANS
10-04-2007, 02:32 PM
Ya I agree totally. That should be rule #1 in hockey, keep your head up. And Downie is definitely not getting off to a good start.

well really it is the first rule of hockey is to KEEP YOUR HEAD UP
i learned that when i was very young. i'm not defending the hit i just don't think it would have been as bad if his head was up

SgtFrenchy
10-04-2007, 02:38 PM
well really it is the first rule of hockey is to KEEP YOUR HEAD UP
i learned that when i was very young. i'm not defending the hit i just don't think it would have been as bad if his head was up
Ya I totally agree. I guess he picked the wrong time to make a mistake.

kickass32
10-04-2007, 10:00 PM
The Flyers today recalled Downie, so he will be sitting out game 1 of 20 in tonights game...........kinda bullshit the way the Flyers are handling it, but I guess if you can circumvent the rules, why not..........

SgtFrenchy
10-05-2007, 01:38 AM
It's kind of weird anyway. Hey lets recall this guy so he can sit out a bunch of games.:confusedsmilie:

kickass32
10-05-2007, 02:21 AM
It's kind of weird anyway. Hey lets recall this guy so he can sit out a bunch of games.:confusedsmilie:

I think what they are doing is, they know he isn't going to play now anyways, let's call him up, use games he wouldn't be playing in anyway to kill off some of his 20 games.....do this a few times until the 20 games are up, and then when the really want or need him he will be free to play.

Kinda cheap in my opinion, but I guess they can get away with it.

SgtFrenchy
10-05-2007, 03:39 AM
Ya that makes sense. Its nice to see someone on here is into hockey. Call me a sucker for punishment but, it's all the http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e213/canada5/boston50.giffor me!

CEVANS
10-05-2007, 10:02 PM
Ya that makes sense. Its nice to see someone on here is into hockey. Call me a sucker for punishment but, it's all the http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e213/canada5/boston50.giffor me!

man i love the boston...the wings are my team but i always loved boston..my dad is a nut for them the whole basment is coverd with shit..
ORR the best player of all times

what the flyers are doing is pretty smart if you ask me.let him get the games out of the way.he is a good hockey player and it's not as if they are a stacked team,they might need him this year at some point.i would not send him down he best get the games in the nhl out of the way.

kickass32
10-05-2007, 10:10 PM

I'm a Devils fan, but man I loved Cam Neely.....the man was awesome, a human highlite reel, hit, score, fight, he could do it all!!!!!!

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2005/06/08/1118252346_9699.jpg

SgtFrenchy
10-06-2007, 12:41 AM
I grew up watching Bourque and Neeley. Those were the days. My brother is into the Devils so he keeps me up on them from time to time.

Highlander
10-10-2007, 10:04 PM
I love the Colorado Avalanche and Joe Sakic is the fucking man!

SgtFrenchy
10-11-2007, 01:52 AM
Ya Sakic has always been a solid player.

jesusatemyhotdog
10-11-2007, 04:31 AM
I'm not a Hockey Player, but it looked like a damn good hit to me.

What exactly was illeagal about it?

In Summary:

It is a penalty in hockey to take more than three direct strides to deliver a check. It is called charging.

It is a penalty in hockey to throw an elbow at an opponent. It is called elbowing.

It is a penalty in hockey to leave your feet to deliver a check. It is called charging (once again).

It is a penalty in hockey to deliver a check to a player without the puck. It is called interference.

It is a penalty in hockey to check someone into the boards when they cannot defend themselves. It is called boarding.

That is why the hit was illegal.

kickass32
10-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Another brutal hit last night....more specifically, the cross-check to the face.
In the Flyers/Vancouver game, yet another Philadelphia Flyer went crazy, as Jesse Boulerice gave Ryan Kessler a viscious cross-check to the face, something Boulerice has a history of doing......he was suspended for the entire 1998/99 OHL season while playing for the Plymouth Whalers...

Playing career
He was drafted by the Philadelphia Flyers in the 1996 NHL Entry Draft, 133rd overall. He has played for the Carolina Hurricanes, St. Louis Blues and Philadelphia Flyers. He was charged with assault in 1998 while playing with the Plymouth Whalers after a violent stick swinging incident with Guelph Storm forward Andrew Long. [1]

Boulerice's role as an enforcer has been reduced lately due to the NHL's stricter penalties for instigating a fight, which can now be punished by a $10,000 fine to the coach if it occurs in the final five minutes of a game.

Boulerice is best known for being the victim of an Aaron Downey left hook on February 11, 2003, which left Boulerice with a broken jaw and a concussion. Boulerice spent the night in the hospital as his Carolina Hurricanes lost in overtime to the Dallas Stars, 2-1. [2]

Jesse's media nickname is "The Bull."

CEVANS
10-11-2007, 05:27 PM
yeah i heard about it but i can't find a highlight of it.........anyone??

kickass32
10-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Here is a link.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Y3x0mr_Ik

mbassy
10-12-2007, 03:34 PM
that's an awful cheap shot, if downey got 20 games, and the punishment is in line with that incident, boulerice should get 82 games.

CEVANS
10-12-2007, 05:20 PM
yeah i watch it on the news last night..thanks for the link

the both of them were at it all game hitting and talking shit,he planed it and he will most likey get the same amount of games as chris simon did last year for his chep shot.i think that was 25 games.i'm not sure if you guys saw that he broke his stick on the guys face i bet that hurt

kickass32
10-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Yep, they gave him 25 games