PDA

View Full Version : Matt Hughes....Coach/Preacher/Queen

twankydawg
09-27-2007, 05:09 AM
I was shocked at Hughes making Bible study an hour before training.....I thought he was there to coach not preach.

LMFAO @ him being the Queen!! :lmfao:

Unreal
09-27-2007, 06:11 AM
i think the worst part is that after reading the story he wants the guys to tell him who he is instead of who they are.

that segment gave me a good idea of why serra doesnt like him

leelandk
09-27-2007, 06:25 AM
i think the worst part is that after reading the story he wants the guys to tell him who he is instead of who they are.

that segment gave me a good idea of why serra doesnt like him

Yeah, but the rest of the episode gives you a good idea of why Serra is quickly becoming the biggest loud mouth in all of MMA. I've never seen anyone as obsessed with another fighter as Serra is with Hughes.

djpowers33
09-27-2007, 02:43 PM
I know Hughes is involved with a lot of charirty work but man, does he really have to pat himself on the back on national tv. "I could work at a nursing home, that's how much I like helping people" Hughes said during the show. Why he feels the need to praise himself on tv is beyond me. He still is a hell of a coach though.

jrube
09-27-2007, 02:49 PM
Y'all really need to stop hating. Matt did what he is supposed to as a Christian, and that is to share his faith... He didn't shove down anyones neck... He offered it to them as a choice to read or not to read. I thought it was fone with class. Matt is a caring individual and it shows, and is not afraid to keep his faith out in th open....

Now SERRA... He could care less who he offends and can bash Christians and think he's cool. What if he has a devout Christian on his team that doesn't like all the foul mouthed hate coming out of his whiny hi pitched eric voice??? He still pushes his oppinion on everyone about Hughes non stop, bad mouthes his supposed (boy Joey) in front of everyone, and acts like a real ass!

I know a lot of you think Matt Hughes is a jerk because he is a Christian, but we live in America, where freedom of religion is RIGHT, and thank a soldier for that continued right, and don't try to take someone elses freedom away because you dont like it...

Just my thoughts

June<3
09-27-2007, 02:54 PM
Yeah, but the rest of the episode gives you a good idea of why Serra is quickly becoming the biggest loud mouth in all of MMA. I've never seen anyone as obsessed with another fighter as Serra is with Hughes.

my question is WHY??????? :banghead:

Tick
09-27-2007, 03:16 PM
Y'all really need to stop hating. Matt did what he is supposed to as a Christian, and that is to share his faith... He didn't shove down anyones neck... He offered it to them as a choice to read or not to read. I thought it was fone with class. Matt is a caring individual and it shows, and is not afraid to keep his faith out in th open....

Now SERRA... He could care less who he offends and can bash Christians and think he's cool. What if he has a devout Christian on his team that doesn't like all the foul mouthed hate coming out of his whiny hi pitched eric voice??? He still pushes his oppinion on everyone about Hughes non stop, bad mouthes his supposed (boy Joey) in front of everyone, and acts like a real ass!

I know a lot of you think Matt Hughes is a jerk because he is a Christian, but we live in America, where freedom of religion is RIGHT, and thank a soldier for that continued right, and don't try to take someone elses freedom away because you dont like it...

Just my thoughts

I dont think people think Matt Hughes is a jerk because he is a Christian. I would be will to bed that the majority of the posters here are christian as well. (I am) What peopel dont like is he did push it on them. Look how it went with Mac Danzig. Danzig didn't want to be apart of it so he took a nap. Matt Woke him up and AGAIN tried to tell him to read the passage becasue "It is a good story"

I, personally, think Hughes is a great fightier. He is not one of my favorites though. I do find him entertaining on TUF as well.

Clint
09-27-2007, 03:50 PM
I dont think people think Matt Hughes is a jerk because he is a Christian. I would be will to bed that the majority of the posters here are christian as well. (I am) What peopel dont like is he did push it on them. Look how it went with Mac Danzig. Danzig didn't want to be apart of it so he took a nap. Matt Woke him up and AGAIN tried to tell him to read the passage becasue "It is a good story"

I, personally, think Hughes is a great fightier. He is not one of my favorites though. I do find him entertaining on TUF as well.

That's where I stand with this. I have no problem with anyones religion but when your the coach even telling guys that they don't have to read isn't 100% true since you want to be in good with your coach. It's just a very touchy situation.

Danzig even said in his blog that with someone else he would have made a bigger deal about it but since Hughes was his coach he didn't.

Tick
09-27-2007, 03:53 PM
That's where I stand with this. I have no problem with anyones religion but when your the coach even telling guys that they don't have to read isn't 100% true since you want to be in good with your coach. It's just a very touchy situation.

Danzig even said in his blog that with someone else he would have made a bigger deal about it but since Hughes was his coach he didn't.
What is the link to his blog? I remember reading last weeks but I cant recall where i got the link from. Thanks.

Gmunit
09-27-2007, 03:54 PM
i wasn't really "shocked", i am NOT religious AT ALL, but i wouldn't have had a problem with my coach trying to steer me in a direction in which he feels has contributed to his success

i probably would've put the book down after a few minutes (i am not familiar with the book of "Esther"), but at least givin it a chance so i wouldn't be insulting someone's beliefs

i didn't like Hughes after the last season, but have come to like him again (even prior to this season first episode), he seems sincere and the "cockiness" he has portrayed is just confidence

twankydawg
09-27-2007, 03:55 PM
No one should try to use a stage like he has to push his beliefs on anyone else. IMO, he's trying to make himself look better because he's looked like a dick most of the time. Serra tells it like it is and he wasn't bad mouthing his boy, his boy was punking out and he said what was on his mind, that's why I like the guy.

And who the fuck is that dude that looks like a bald ass Troll coaching on Team Hughes?

Clint
09-27-2007, 04:02 PM
What is the link to his blog? I remember reading last weeks but I cant recall where i got the link from. Thanks.
Hughes: http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=8056

Mac:
http://www.ocregister.com/sports/fight-team-hughes-1852696-joey-time

Gmunit
09-27-2007, 04:09 PM
No one should try to use a stage like he has to push his beliefs on anyone else. IMO, he's trying to make himself look better because he's looked like a dick most of the time. Serra tells it like it is and he wasn't bad mouthing his boy, his boy was punking out and he said what was on his mind, that's why I like the guy.

And who the fuck is that dude that looks like a bald ass Troll coaching on Team Hughes?

my point was i didn't really get the impression that he was "pushing" his beliefs on anyone, I think out of that whole situation Serra looked bad, like he needs everyone to agree with him and talk down about Hughes because he is taking a different approach to the "team" aspect. Prediction: Just watch, I bet team Serra falls apart because they act more like individuals rather than a team

and i don't know who that bald guy is but he's always laughing and smiling was making me do the same (is it just me or does he look alot like Hughes??)

twankydawg
09-27-2007, 06:38 PM
my point was i didn't really get the impression that he was "pushing" his beliefs on anyone, I think out of that whole situation Serra looked bad, like he needs everyone to agree with him and talk down about Hughes because he is taking a different approach to the "team" aspect. Prediction: Just watch, I bet team Serra falls apart because they act more like individuals rather than a team

and i don't know who that bald guy is but him always laughing and smiling was making me do the same (is it just me or does he look alot like Hughes??)

Well, we just see it different I guess. I think any coach should check their religious/political beliefs at the door when they walk in to train some other guys.

Severn
09-27-2007, 07:01 PM
It wouldn't bother me at all persoanlly. I wouldn't read it (not because I'm not a Christian, I'm actually Catholic) because I simply don't have the attention span to sit down and read chapter this, verse that. Matt gave his group the option of not reading it. As far as I can tell he didn't hold it against them. I wouldn't be offended if a man from any other religion would try to get me to read something. They just think that whatever worked for them can help you. When Matt says he can give up fighting today and work in a nursing home helping the elderly, I believe him.

I think people get way too offended over shit they can easily say no to. It's almost like people want to be offended and get off being offended. It fires them up and adds to that fantasy persecution complex.

I understand Mac's point but his gesture of just taking a nap was pretty bad. it's almost like "Your beliefs are stupid old man, I'm going to take nap in front of you and the team". He could have just left the room or spoken to Matt directly about his problem with it. I'm sure Matt would have understood.

And honestly watching the segment I found it hilarious that 300 was being used by some of the fighters to understand the passage. lol

twankydawg
09-27-2007, 07:11 PM
It wouldn't bother me at all persoanlly. I wouldn't read it (not because I'm not a Christian, I'm actually Catholic) because I simply don't have the attention span to sit down and read chapter this, verse that. Matt gave his group the option of not reading it. As far as I can tell he didn't hold it against them. I wouldn't be offended if a man from any other religion would try to get me to read something. They just think that whatever worked for them can help you. When Matt says he can give up fighting today and work in a nursing home helping the elderly, I believe him.

I think people get way too offended over shit they can easily say no to. It's almost like people want to be offended and get off being offended. It fires them up and adds to that fantasy persecution complex.

I understand Mac's point but his gesture of just taking a nap was pretty bad. it's almost like "Your beliefs are stupid old man, I'm going to take nap in front of you and the team". He could have just left the room or spoken to Matt directly about his problem with it. I'm sure Matt would have understood.

And honestly watching the segment I found it hilarious that 300 was being used by some of the fighters to understand the passage. lol

I think it could force some of the guys into an uncomfortable situation where they don't want to read it for whatever reason but feel obligated to because it is their coach. I'm just saying that it puts people in a position to make a choice that would otherwise be different but because it's Coach Hughes, they don't want to be the guy that "didn't read it".

Gmunit
09-27-2007, 07:25 PM
Twanks, I get where you're coming from (because as i said before I am not religious in the least) but I feel the manner in which Hughes approached it left the team to decide for themselves

and the bottom line, as he explained it, was for them to realize that he is the Queen (LOL) and would do anything for his people

no shit, eh??

"Remember at the end of the movie.............."

HAHAHAHAHAHHA

TriangleChoke
09-27-2007, 07:29 PM
I was shocked at Hughes making Bible study an hour before training.....I thought he was there to coach not preach.

when did hughes make everyone participate in Bible study? i must have missed that

Gurry
09-27-2007, 07:34 PM
i dont really think it matters, im not catholic or christian, but hughes seems like a very religious man, it duznt matter if he wants to teach his guys about it or not. Hes the coach and alotta u ppl are flaming for other reasons, hughes is coming off as a nice guy this season (prolly to make serra look like a humongous dick) so w/e. Everybdoys just flaming because they think everybody collectivley hates hughes but your all to dumb and ignorant to see hes one of the best champions of all time, and if someone doesnt wanna listen to waht he has to say so be it, but itd be in ur best interest to

twankydawg
09-27-2007, 07:35 PM
Twanks, I get where you're coming from (because as i said before I am not religious in the least) but I feel the manner in which Hughes approached it left the team to decide for themselves

and the bottom line, as he explained it, was for them to realize that he is the Queen (LOL) and would do anything for his people

no shit, eh??

"Remember at the end of the movie.............."

HAHAHAHAHAHHA

I know how he explained it but who's going to want to say no in that situation? And look at how he did Mac, Mac made his choice and instead of letting it be he went over there to push him to do it. Seems Mac made his choice but it wasn't good enough for Hughes and Mac not wanting to say no again got up and started reading it. If he had let Mac be with the decision he made I would agree with you but it was obvious that wasn't the case.

The 300 reference was priceless and Matt saying he was "the Queen" was one of the funniest things I've seen on the show eva!

when did hughes make everyone participate in Bible study? i must have missed that

It was on the last episode, guess you missed it.

twankydawg
09-27-2007, 07:37 PM
i dont really think it matters, im not catholic or christian, but hughes seems like a very religious man, it duznt matter if he wants to teach his guys about it or not. Hes the coach and alotta u ppl are flaming for other reasons, hughes is coming off as a nice guy this season (prolly to make serra look like a humongous dick) so w/e. Everybdoys just flaming because they think everybody collectivley hates hughes but your all to dumb and ignorant to see hes one of the best champions of all time, and if someone doesnt wanna listen to waht he has to say so be it, but itd be in ur best interest to

What the fuck are you talking about, no one is debating whether is he was or wasn't a great champion.....seriously, have you even read the fucking thread?

TriangleChoke
09-27-2007, 07:38 PM
no, i saw last night's episode, but i never saw matt hughes make his team participate in Bible study??? I saw him hand out Bibles and say "you dont have to read, but if you would like, the book of Esther is a great story." then i saw him walk up to mac and tell him that the book of esther was very interesting..but i never saw hughes make anyone participate in Bible study?????

twankydawg
09-27-2007, 07:45 PM
no, i saw last night's episode, but i never saw matt hughes make his team participate in Bible study??? I saw him hand out Bibles and say "you dont have to read, but if you would like, the book of Esther is a great story." then i saw him walk up to mac and tell him that the book of esther was very interesting..but i never saw hughes make anyone participate in Bible study?????

Ok, let me clarify, I didn't say he made it mandatory, or made anyone participate. I said he was "making" the hour before trianing Bible study time, I didn't say it was mandatory. A better word could've been used but I wasn't meaning he was making people do it.

TriangleChoke
09-27-2007, 07:47 PM
Ok, let me clarify, I didn't say he made it mandatory, or made anyone participate. I said he was "making" the hour before trianing Bible study time, I didn't say it was mandatory. A better word could've been used but I wasn't meaning he was making people do it.
i have much more respect for hughes now. I think it's great that he's trying to spread the Gospel/the word of God to his fighters. Dont get me wrong, I'm not one of those Bible pushing guys, but I am a Christian, and in all honestly, the Bible is a good read. There are some really good books in the Bible, and I hope to see more of that in the future episodes of TUF this season.

Gmunit
09-27-2007, 07:52 PM
I know how he explained it but who's going to want to say no in that situation? And look at how he did Mac, Mac made his choice and instead of letting it be he went over there to push him to do it. Seems Mac made his choice but it wasn't good enough for Hughes and Mac not wanting to say no again got up and started reading it. If he had let Mac be with the decision he made I would agree with you but it was obvious that wasn't the case.

The 300 reference was priceless and Matt saying he was "the Queen" was one of the funniest things I've seen on the show eva!

yeah i gotcha, but they're in a gym and he could've gone and started hitting the bag, but Mac decided instead of reading that it was Nap time, sorta the wrong message to send to Hughes IMO

but i do agree with you, just stating how I saw it

who's flaming Hughes?? disagreeing with someone's approach is far from flaming

twankydawg
09-27-2007, 07:55 PM
i have much more respect for hughes now. I think it's great that he's trying to spread the Gospel/the word of God to his fighters. Dont get me wrong, I'm not one of those Bible pushing guys, but I am a Christian, and in all honestly, the Bible is a good read. There are some really good books in the Bible, and I hope to see more of that in the future episodes of TUF this season.

Dude, I'm Christian as well and I respect him for trying to spread the word but I think him trying to do it on the show with the guys he's training isn't right. As I said before, he should check his political/religious beliefs at the door when he walks in there. If he wants to do it as his own gym that's fine but these guys didn't sign up for that and they shouldn't be put in a position where they have to do something they don't want to just because they don't want to be the guy that said no. It's obvious that saying no wouldn't go over well with Hughes evidenced by him going to Mac after Mac made his choice not too. If he hadn't done that, I wouldn't have anything to say because he had let him make his choice.

I found it really comical that Hughes was "the Queen" in all of this!

Severn
09-27-2007, 08:13 PM

I think the best line of the episode was the one dude at the end saying that he wishes he was KO'd (instead of tapping) since it would give him the option of dreaming of himself with fat hookers (or "phat" hookers. I really don't know).

Noob
09-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Matt is a caring individual and it shows, and is not afraid to keep his faith out in the open.

It's a fine line between keeping your faith out in the open, and intentionally leaving it out there so that everyone is made aware of it.

I'm not saying it's one way or the other with Hughes, but from seeing some people's responses to him I can understand why they take exception to him having a religious exercise while the cameras are rolling. Especially to a group of people that may or may not share his beliefs.

Lol, I'm not even sure where to go with this one.

I don't think most people "think Matt Hughes is a jerk because he is a Christian." Imo he comes off as a bit sure of himself at times, and that can rub people the wrong way, whether or not it has anything to do with religion. In this particular instance it had to do with reading the Bible, but that was I think more about the context and less about the core issue.

I also don't follow your logic that anyone is trying to take Hughes' freedoms away. I don't remember anyone saying Hughes didn't have the right to say what he said. He was just being criticized for what he said, and that would also be the right of free speech would it not? It usually works in both directions.
And I'm not sure where soldiers came into this, but: :troops:.

This is close to where I stand. It can put people in an uncomfortable position, and could be construed as Hughes taking advantage of a situation where he is aware of the respect and authority he carries, in order to plug his religion.

Salesmen do the same thing. I'm sure Hughes meant well, but it seemed to me a bit plotted.

i dont really think it matters, im not catholic or christian, but hughes seems like a very religious man, it duznt matter if he wants to teach his guys about it or not.

It kind of does matter what he wants to teach his guys about. He wasn't hired to be a pastor, he was hired to be a coach.

Everybdoys just flaming because they think everybody collectivley hates hughes but your all to dumb and ignorant to see hes one of the best champions of all time

Lol, I don't think anyone here has challenged Hughes' accomplishments or merits as a fighter. And one thing has very little to do with the other.

Hughes being maybe a little opportunistic with his presentation of the Biblical lesson doesn't make him any less of a champion, but it can rub people the wrong way. Either way, I don't think anyone made a comment about Hughes' in-ring accomplishments.

, and if someone doesnt wanna listen to waht he has to say so be it, but itd be in ur best interest to

Lol, maybe about a double leg. About matters of faith and spirituality, I'm not sure.

Nothing against Hughes, but I thought your treatment of this was one-sided and selective.

Bullock
09-27-2007, 08:34 PM
I don't understand why the Athiest guy says that that offends him. I mean, you don't have to believe the Bible word for word, or at all, but you can still get something from the moral teachings it presents.

That being said, I can't understand why Hughes did it, lol. He basically had them read nine pages of a Bible and figure out who he is in the story. What purpose does that serve?

And I have to agree that the part where he says "I'm the Queen" was one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

Very strange.

2mcgrath
09-27-2007, 08:38 PM
i dont really see a problem with what he done ethier.i myself am a christian.and would have gladly participated in reading the story.but you right i dont think it should be pushed on anyone.but maybe he was just trying to get thier spirits uplifted i dont know lol.there is alot of uplifting stories in the bible.maybe its his way of bonding with them :confusedsmilie:

jkilla374
09-27-2007, 08:50 PM
I would have told Hughes that I am not reading the Bible because someone spoiled it for me and I know how it ends.

Noob
09-27-2007, 08:58 PM
I would have told Hughes that I am not reading the Bible because someone spoiled it for me and I know how it ends.

Lol. That reminds me, for anyone who watches Da Ali G show. I forget who he was talking to, but someone is telling him about the Bible, or Jesus, I can't remember and he says something like "yo, that's pretty good in'nt it? They shoulds make a movie out of that."

I thought that was hilarious. I'm a sucker for Ali G.

http://www.meloncorp.com/arch/0088/Ali2.jpg

jkilla374
09-27-2007, 09:15 PM
Lol. That reminds me, for anyone who watches Da Ali G show. I forget who he was talking to, but someone is telling him about the Bible, or Jesus, I can't remember and he says something like "yo, that's pretty good in'nt it? They shoulds make a movie out of that."

I thought that was hilarious. I'm a sucker for Ali G.

http://www.meloncorp.com/arch/0088/Ali2.jpg

I'm more of a Borat Fan, but Ali G had some great moments also:

the abortion rally;

the interview with the DEA agent;

the sex roundtable with the virgin;

his interview with Buzz Aldrin (he calls him buzz lightyear );

his tryout for the Philadelphia police;

there are others, but those are the ones that come to mind. the only thing i don't like about the Ali G character is that for every hilarious skit there is a pretty lame or boring one. All of the Borat skits are great though.

Noob
09-27-2007, 09:22 PM
I'm more of a Borat Fan, but Ali G had some great moments also:

the abortion rally;

the interview with the DEA agent;

the sex roundtable with the virgin;

his interview with Buzz Aldrin (he calls him buzz lightyear );

his tryout for the Philadelphia police;

there are others, but those are the ones that come to mind. the only thing i don't like about the Ali G character is that for every hilarious skit there is a pretty lame or boring one. All of the Borat skits are great though.

Lol, there are some good ones. I heard he is coming out with another movie, this one based on Bruno. Should be interesting.

And you forgot the Ali G where he hung out with the hippies, rapped over the guitar, and visited the tree people.

I about pissed myself during that one.

Tick
09-27-2007, 09:27 PM
i dont really see a problem with what he done ethier.i myself am a christian.and would have gladly participated in reading the story.but you right i dont think it should be pushed on anyone.but maybe he was just trying to get thier spirits uplifted i dont know lol.there is alot of uplifting stories in the bible.maybe its his way of bonding with them :confusedsmilie:

You are a christian and probable practice. I am a christian and dont. The problem is that there probable was a non christian there. Even though he said they had a choice, but as myself and noob pointed out, Mac didn't and he pretty much got forced into doing it. Hughes is in a position of power and to stay on the queens good side they at least made it appear as if they were reading it.

Lets make a scenario. You are at work. You'r boss is a muslim, and brings in the Koran for everyone in your office to read a section from. He also says you don't have to read it. So you don't, but the boss notices this and goes to you and nicely tells you that you should read it becasue it is a good story... Would you feel as if something was being forced onto you?

Please try to look at it from a differnt angle and see if your reaction would be the same.

Now if Hughes said "Here are some bibles. If you would like I suggest this story of it. If you don't want to then don't worry about it."

Then went to his office or whatever and left those that didn't want to participate in the activity alone. Then it wouldn't be a big deal. The fact that he went to and continually suggested the person read it makes it more than a 'friendly' gesture. From Matt Hughes blog out it on UFC.com (http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=8056)...

"I wasn’t worried about any negative reaction from the guys because I really stressed the point that if you wanted to read, you could, if you don’t want to read, you don’t have to. Mac (Danzig) didn’t want to read, and a couple times I told him, ‘hey, it may be interesting to you. You don’t have to take some faith from it and I’m not trying to change your mind or anything, but there are some really interesting stories, in the Old Testament especially.’"

The bolded part is where I am trying to prove a point. That means he mentioned it MORE THAN ONCE. So basically he was going to hound him until Mac gave in and read it, or at the least gave the impression he was going to.

That is where the problem lies.

Please note, I am reallly bored at work and that is why this is long.

oldspam
09-27-2007, 09:31 PM
I think what Mat is doing is getting Serria to stay fliped out all the time and since Serria thinks of mat as a goody two shoes Matt just made him freak out whit the Bible reading stuff. Just think about it, Serria is half way to being commented everytime he talks of Matt and yet Matt just grins and says oh well. By the time they fight Matt will be in his head so much he will make mistakes and it only takes one to lose a fight.

Noob
09-27-2007, 09:36 PM
I think what Mat is doing is getting Serria to stay fliped out all the time and since Serria thinks of mat as a goody two shoes Matt just made him freak out whit the Bible reading stuff. Just think about it, Serria is half way to being commented everytime he talks of Matt and yet Matt just grins and says oh well. By the time they fight Matt will be in his head so much he will make mistakes and it only takes one to lose a fight.

I don't see how the Bible reading has anything to do with Serra's behavior. He wasn't even in the room at the time.

:confusedsmilie:

pa99fighter
09-27-2007, 09:37 PM
its a good story and if thats how he trains than thats how he trains. its there choice

Gurry
09-27-2007, 09:59 PM
What the fuck are you talking about, no one is debating whether is he was or wasn't a great champion.....seriously, have you even read the fucking thread?

what the fuck are u talking about learn to read, i said he was a great champion and its in the fighters favor to listen to what he has to say, be it religous or training-wise as his methods are proven to work. retard...

Clint
09-27-2007, 10:07 PM
its a good story and if thats how he trains than thats how he trains. its there choice
But thats the problem that is how He trains not necessarily how they train and it wasn't really their choice. It was implicitly forced upon them

what the fuck are u talking about learn to read, i said he was a great champion and its in the fighters favor to listen to what he has to say, be it religous or training-wise as his methods are proven to work. retard...
So reading Ester will make me a better fighter?

I guess we should all figure out what religion Fedor is and study the shit out it.

Severn
09-27-2007, 10:08 PM
But thats the problem that is how He trains not necessarily how they train and it wasn't really their choice. It was implicitly forced upon them

So reading Ester will make me a better fighter?

I guess we should all figure out what religion Fedor is and study the shit out it.

Sambology of course.

Noob
09-27-2007, 10:14 PM

:worship:

twankydawg
09-27-2007, 11:14 PM
It's a fine line between keeping your faith out in the open, and intentionally leaving it out there so that everyone is made aware of it.

I'm not saying it's one way or the other with Hughes, but from seeing some people's responses to him I can understand why they take exception to him having a religious exercise while the cameras are rolling. Especially to a group of people that may or may not share his beliefs.

Lol, I'm not even sure where to go with this one.

I don't think most people "think Matt Hughes is a jerk because he is a Christian." Imo he comes off as a bit sure of himself at times, and that can rub people the wrong way, whether or not it has anything to do with religion. In this particular instance it had to do with reading the Bible, but that was I think more about the context and less about the core issue.

I also don't follow your logic that anyone is trying to take Hughes' freedoms away. I don't remember anyone saying Hughes didn't have the right to say what he said. He was just being criticized for what he said, and that would also be the right of free speech would it not? It usually works in both directions.
And I'm not sure where soldiers came into this, but: :troops:.

This is close to where I stand. It can put people in an uncomfortable position, and could be construed as Hughes taking advantage of a situation where he is aware of the respect and authority he carries, in order to plug his religion.

Salesmen do the same thing. I'm sure Hughes meant well, but it seemed to me a bit plotted.

It kind of does matter what he wants to teach his guys about. He wasn't hired to be a pastor, he was hired to be a coach.

Lol, I don't think anyone here has challenged Hughes' accomplishments or merits as a fighter. And one thing has very little to do with the other.

Hughes being maybe a little opportunistic with his presentation of the Biblical lesson doesn't make him any less of a champion, but it can rub people the wrong way. Either way, I don't think anyone made a comment about Hughes' in-ring accomplishments.

Lol, maybe about a double leg. About matters of faith and spirituality, I'm not sure.

Nothing against Hughes, but I thought your treatment of this was one-sided and selective.

Such a nice way of calling this guy a douche bag, much more tactful than I went about doing it, but he could've answered my question asking if he even read the fuckin thread.

You're a complete fool because you missed the whole discussion of this thread and made it into something it wasn't. Very trollish behaviour.

Ramma
09-27-2007, 11:27 PM
I am not of the appropriateness of Hughes doing bible study. I am glad he gave the option. If he sent people back to the house, that is one thing.. if he wants a small (unbias) prayer before a fight.. that is one thing.. but if he is going to have bible study when they should be training.. that is ANOTHER thing. Hughes was in the wrong on this one.. even if he did give the option to not read it.

twankydawg
09-27-2007, 11:38 PM
I am not of the appropriateness of Hughes doing bible study. I am glad he gave the option. If he sent people back to the house, that is one thing.. if he wants a small (unbias) prayer before a fight.. that is one thing.. but if he is going to have bible study when they should be training.. that is ANOTHER thing. Hughes was in the wrong on this one.. even if he did give the option to not read it.

That's my whole point and he came across as expecting everyone to read it when he went over and confronted Mac.

BTW, nice sig Ramma!! :grinsmile1:

TriangleChoke
09-27-2007, 11:57 PM
Dude, I'm Christian as well and I respect him for trying to spread the word but I think him trying to do it on the show with the guys he's training isn't right. As I said before, he should check his political/religious beliefs at the door when he walks in there. If he wants to do it as his own gym that's fine but these guys didn't sign up for that and they shouldn't be put in a position where they have to do something they don't want to just because they don't want to be the guy that said no. It's obvious that saying no wouldn't go over well with Hughes evidenced by him going to Mac after Mac made his choice not too. If he hadn't done that, I wouldn't have anything to say because he had let him make his choice.

from one perspective i agree with everything that you're saying, but as a Christian, it doesn't hurt to spread the Gospel as long as you dont force it on anyone, and i think Hughes went about it the right way. If you dont agree with me there, we will have to agree to disagree.

and regarding the content in bold-We do have freedom of speech in the US, so i dont think Hughes did anything wrong by suggesting (not forcing) they read the book of Esther. I believe in separation of Church and State, but i dont think hughes has any reason to check his politicts/religious beliefs at the door before he trains the tuf'ers? :confusedsmilie:

But like i said earlier, this is from a Christian perspective. I wont touch on that anymore since we aren't in the religion/politics thread.

and RTTR

twankydawg
09-28-2007, 12:17 AM
from one perspective i agree with everything that you're saying, but as a Christian, it doesn't hurt to spread the Gospel as long as you dont force it on anyone, and i think Hughes went about it the right way. If you dont agree with me there, we will have to agree to disagree.

and regarding the content in bold-We do have freedom of speech in the US, so i dont think Hughes did anything wrong by suggesting (not forcing) they read the book of Esther. I believe in separation of Church and State, but i dont think hughes has any reason to check his politicts/religious beliefs at the door before he trains the tuf'ers? :confusedsmilie:

But like i said earlier, this is from a Christian perspective. I wont touch on that anymore since we aren't in the religion/politics thread.

and RTTR

I understand what you're saying as well. I don't have anything against anyone spreading the gospel but if you do it should be done in an instance where people don't feel obligated to listen. I think Hughes being in the position he's in on the show is abusing his position and using it to preach to a group of guys who are unfairly going to feel obligated to listen. None of them are going to want to be the guy that "didn't read" or be the one that didn't listen. That's all I'm saying, we'll see how it develops in the coming weeks though and I think we'll all get a better feel for it.

Always glad we can agree to disagree.

and RTTR! :grinsmile1:

Reiner
09-28-2007, 01:00 AM
I think the producers of the show used this knowing they could create a little bit more controversey in the show. No books means no books IMO. I would bet you a good amount of money that if Hughes would have been muslim and asked for the Koran for all his fighters from the production team they would have told him no books.

Mac Danzig should switch his entrance song to "don't pray on me" by Bad Religion

twankydawg
09-28-2007, 03:12 AM
Matt Hughes = Queen of the WW division :lmfao:

I still can't get over that.

Tick
09-28-2007, 04:09 AM

So the right way was to continuously go to Mac and 'suggest' he should read it instead of just leaving him alone after mac made the choice not to read it? Might I quote Matt Hughes again...

"I wasn’t worried about any negative reaction from the guys because I really stressed the point that if you wanted to read, you could, if you don’t want to read, you don’t have to. Mac (Danzig) didn’t want to read, and a couple times I told him, ‘hey, it may be interesting to you. You don’t have to take some faith from it and I’m not trying to change your mind or anything, but there are some really interesting stories, in the Old Testament especially.’"

Might i stress the and a couple of times... part.

OMNIpotus
09-28-2007, 04:37 AM
I was upset about this at first, but after reading Hughes's blog it did make more sense. The TUF guys are like the people on Survivor, they have no real personal possessions. He said the only book they would allow him to give them was a Bible. I wish they would have explained that the guys don't have diaries, internet, newspapers, books, Ipods, cell phones, etc... and that he had to fight to get them anything.

Were the other motives for him to get them a Bible? Probably. Is it better than nothing? Possibly, that's why it's an option to read it. Like I said, at first I was angry, but it does make sense now.

dan the man 67
09-28-2007, 03:02 PM

I could not believe that either. WTF?!?!?!

twankydawg
09-28-2007, 03:17 PM
I could not believe that either. WTF?!?!?!

Guess he wanted to come of the closet on nat'l TV.

jokerthief
09-28-2007, 04:43 PM
I am an atheist and I see no problem with what Matt did and I would have sat down and read Ester had I been there. Just because I don't believe that the bible is the inspired word of God doesn't make it an irrelevant text. In this instance, it seems like Hughes picked a non evangelical book. He picked a book in which there was an anecdote which dealt with human morality and ethics. I can see how this could be a useful exercise just like reading Greek mythology can be useful and applicable to a current day situation. I really think that was all Hughes was trying to do. It's not like he had them read the sermon on the Mount or the book of James.

I think there is often a knee jerk reaction by nonreligious people whenever someone mentions the bible. Not all of the bible is evangelical. There is a lot of history and proverb in there too that has anthropological value. All Matt was trying to do here was share an ethos that is at the root of his coaching philosophy. Just because he found a fable in the bible to illustrate this ethos doesn't mean that he is pushing a religious view. Ethos are not spiritual nor religious. They are very much secular.

Krazikarl
09-28-2007, 04:48 PM
Hughes's behaviour was extremely unprofessional. Think about it. If your boss at work pulled this crap, he would almost certainly be fired (OK, maybe not in the South). Counts have ruled time and time again that this type of behaviour where people feel any pressure at all to do something from their boss can constitute harassment. Its NOT covered by first amendment rights in many cases. Hughes is in a position of authority, and you arent supposed to do this type of thing in a position of authority in any professional environment. If it happened in a company, anybody who objected to reading it would be protected basically forever from being fired because if they ever were fired, they would have the easiest lawsuit ever if they claimed that it was because of their religion.

Now, a reality show is not a professional environment, but I think that the coaches should at least act like it is (although neither clearly are).

And man Hughes is self righteous. Who goes through something like this (repeatedly insisting that people think about who he is) just so he can say to the camera (with a straight face!) that he is such a good guy? Thats unbelievably self righteous. Unless you are Gandhi you dont do that.

Clint
09-28-2007, 04:59 PM
I am an atheist and I see no problem with what Matt did and I would have sat down and read Ester had I been there. Just because I don't believe that the bible is the inspired word of God doesn't make it an irrelevant text. In this instance, it seems like Hughes picked a non evangelical book. He picked a book in which there was an anecdote which dealt with human morality and ethics. I can see how this could be a useful exercise just like reading Greek mythology can be useful and applicable to a current day situation. I really think that was all Hughes was trying to do. It's not like he had them read the sermon on the Mount or the book of James.

I think there is often a knee jerk reaction by nonreligious people whenever someone mentions the bible. Not all of the bible is evangelical. There is a lot of history and proverb in there too that has anthropological value. All Matt was trying to do here was share an ethos that is at the root of his coaching philosophy. Just because he found a fable in the bible to illustrate this ethos doesn't mean that he is pushing a religious view. Ethos are not spiritual nor religious. They are very much secular.

But he's not just having them read the book of Ester. he is having them read for an hour before practice every day is what they had said. If it was just this one story then that's understandable but for it to be each day is different

Krazikarl
09-28-2007, 06:34 PM
I dont think that anybody believes that Hughes is having them read the Bible just for philosophical value or to share his coaching philosophy. I dont think that anybody honestly believes that Hughes was just looking for a fable and stumbled upon the Bible. There is no way that Hughes considers Old Testament stories as fables.

Hughes has repeatedly presented himself as an evangelical Christian in the past, so to try and claim that despite that hes just using the Bible simply as a set of kind of interesting fables is rather silly. He clearly has religious motives, which is inappropriate from an authority figure in a workplace.

Palma
09-28-2007, 07:09 PM
I was upset about this at first, but after reading Hughes's blog it did make more sense. The TUF guys are like the people on Survivor, they have no real personal possessions. He said the only book they would allow him to give them was a Bible. I wish they would have explained that the guys don't have diaries, internet, newspapers, books, Ipods, cell phones, etc... and that he had to fight to get them anything.

Were the other motives for him to get them a Bible? Probably. Is it better than nothing? Possibly, that's why it's an option to read it. Like I said, at first I was angry, but it does make sense now.

I think the show has clearly told this to the viewers several times, but maybe not this season.

I thought it was completely out of line as an ex-Catholic who no longer believes in the Bible to try and get his team to read it just as a "story" when obviously people never read the Bible for it's horrible writing style and "stories"

Hughes put his entire team in a very compromising position. Serra was exactly right when he said "Bible School" as I was forced to go to a Christian Bible school when I was a child a few times and they did rationalize reading the Bible as "it's really just a good story, so why don't you just read this archaic religous guide and be entertained?" The point was they got us to read the Bible, which is 90% of their religion.

If Hughes said, "I was able to get Bibles for those who care to read them, here they are take one if you want" and then left the room then I would totally conceed that he had done nothing wrong at all, but when he pressured Danzig to read it when he was the only one who never made an attempt to read it showed me that Hughes is your typical Christian fundamentalist who feels that he needs to spread the faith around. Fuck that shit.

antix818
09-28-2007, 08:43 PM
It wouldn't bother me at all persoanlly. I wouldn't read it (not because I'm not a Christian, I'm actually Catholic)

Ummm. Catholics are Christian!

Krazikarl
09-28-2007, 08:52 PM
Its a double negative, so hes saying that he is a Christian.

Severn
09-28-2007, 09:36 PM

Catholicism is a different branch off the same tree. Similar but not exactly a like. I went to private catholic school for 10 years, there is a difference. Not that I actually remember all the differences.

sabreclaww
09-28-2007, 10:50 PM
i wasn't really "shocked", i am NOT religious AT ALL, but i wouldn't have had a problem with my coach trying to steer me in a direction in which he feels has contributed to his success

i probably would've put the book down after a few minutes (i am not familiar with the book of "Esther"), but at least givin it a chance so i wouldn't be insulting someone's beliefs

i didn't like Hughes after the last season, but have come to like him again (even prior to this season first episode), he seems sincere and the "cockiness" he has portrayed is just confidence

intelligent and fair view on the issue. We need more posters like you

I agree..there was a post on here not long ago about people thanking the Lord, and consensus seemed to be that fighters need strength inside as well as out. Like you said, he's sharing a part that HE feels is important.

jkilla374
09-28-2007, 11:09 PM
Catholicism is a different branch off the same tree. Similar but not exactly a like. I went to private catholic school for 10 years, there is a difference. Not that I actually remember all the differences.

Christianity is the umbrella term for all those who believe Jesus Christ was and is the savior.

Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, Baptist, etc. are the specific belief systems of Christianity. These belief systems have differences.

Hence, if you are a Catholic, you are a Christian. If you are Lutheran, you are a Christian.

But, if you are a Catholic, you are not a Lutheran.

Palma
09-29-2007, 01:04 AM

Catholicism is based on the Holly Trinity and also beieves that you communitcate to God throught the Church.

Chrisitians believe that anyone can have a direct realationship with God if you accept Jesus Christ as your personal savior.

thumper
09-29-2007, 01:40 AM
Don't know about catholicism but palma is definitely right about christians

OMNIpotus
09-29-2007, 02:06 AM
But, if you are a Catholic, you are not a Lutheran.

Ah yes, the transitive property of God. God loves all Christians, Catholics are Christians, God Loves all Catholics.

Krazikarl
09-29-2007, 03:27 AM
Not all Christians believe that anybody can have a relationship with God/Jesus. The idea of predestination often means that only those who were already chosen can have a relationship with God. Predestination isnt a very common belief nowadays, but it used to be pretty common (the Pilgrims had ideas of predestination).

The definining characteristics of Christians is that all Christians (lets not get into Deists) believe that Jesus was the son of God and died so that their sins may be forgiven. Catholics, Protestants and other Christians believe this.

Catholicism is basically the Christians that also accept the authority of the Pope and all the associated teachings. Lots of Christians believe in the Holy Trinity and communication to God via the church, but only Catholics accept the authority of the Pope and all the associated papal teachings.

terriblet
09-29-2007, 04:41 AM
I myself don't read the BIBLE hardly @ all,but I certainly didn't mind what Matt Hughes did,giving everybody a BIBLE on his team and asking them to read, only if they wanted to. He didn't try to force it on anyone,although he did try to persuade Mac Danzig (who wasn't reading)to think about changing his mind. Hey,who's to argue w/ the success Matt's had in the UFC,and if the BIBLE is part of that success,then he's only trying to help his team w/ what has worked for him. NO BIG DEAL.

OMNIpotus
09-29-2007, 05:08 AM
Alright, let's turn it around. What if it was the Satanic Bible, the Quaran, or Long Hard Road out of Hell: The Marilyn Manson Story? Is it just that everyone here is all Bible-friendly or is it that it's printed material?

Palma
09-29-2007, 05:14 AM
Alright, let's turn it around. What if it was the Satanic Bible, the Quaran, or Long Hard Road out of Hell: The Marilyn Manson Story? Is it just that everyone here is all Bible-friendly or is it that it's printed material?

Exactly, people from conservative backgrounds usually don't see the big deal, but here there are mostly progressive thinking people and Christianity is far from the norm, and if Hughes did that here it would a very big deal.

Noob
09-29-2007, 05:56 AM
Exactly, people from conservative backgrounds usually don't see the big deal.

I think there is some truth to that. Living in Oklahoma I certainly have seen a fair amount of a similar mode of behavior. It's by no means always like this, but there is a certain presumption of innocense associated with the spreading of the Christian Gospel that would not be accorded if the same behavior were undertaken by a Muslim.

I don't think that this is true for everyone, even in Oklahoma, and by no means intend to make a blanket statement about conservative culture in general. But this is something that happens, and to some degree all cultures have a presupposition of the acceptability of their own behavior, and that can create tensions when interacting with people from differing backgrounds.

OMNIpotus
09-29-2007, 07:31 AM
All I'm saying is that they should have explained it better. When the guys go in they are stripped of the things that they may use to unwind. No books, Ipods, quilting or comfort blankets. They had said that Hughes fought to get them something to unwind with and the only thing they would allow was a Bible, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Amlap
09-29-2007, 08:34 AM
All I'm saying is that they should have explained it better. When the guys go in they are stripped of the things that they may use to unwind. No books, Ipods, quilting or comfort blankets. They had said that Hughes fought to get them something to unwind with and the only thing they would allow was a Bible, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

If Hughes had the choice to bring in something else to read do you really think he would have?

In regards to not having anything to read or watch: they explained it very well in the last five episodes and they probably felt that it is common knowledge by the people who would watch the show by now.

Not one of those fighters besides one was enthusiastic about reading the Bible, that ought to tell you something.

thumper
09-29-2007, 08:36 AM
"not one of those fighters besides one"

Wow.

And you can't make judgement statements about what someone would and wouldn't do when you don't even know the person.

Amlap
09-29-2007, 08:39 AM
"not one of those fighters besides one"

Wow.

And you can't make judgement statements about what someone would and wouldn't do when you don't even know the person.

The guy brought in religious material into an MMA practice. I don't think I have to know Matt Hughes well enought to know he pushes his religion onto other people.

Did the fighters look enthusiastic to you? They acted like children in school, cheating off eachother and fucking around. They obviously were uncomfortable.

Only one fighter even attempted to answer his question thoughtfully.

OMNIpotus
09-29-2007, 12:38 PM
If Hughes had the choice to bring in something else to read do you really think he would have?

Ok... but he didn't.

In regards to not having anything to read or watch: they explained it very well in the last five episodes and they probably felt that it is common knowledge by the people who would watch the show by now.

Ok... but they didn't. It's not "common knowledge" enough for Matt Hughes to have to explain it in his blog. Strike 2.

Not one of those fighters besides one was enthusiastic about reading the Bible, that ought to tell you something.

Ok... but the one guy (forgive me for not remembering his name) who said that Matt Hughes must have "seen the God" in him when he was picked to be on Hughes' team was very enthusiastic. Strike 3.

Gonna be tough keeping the people who deserve it on ignore if everyone is just gonna make other accounts. Hard to ban them too I guess. Back to the drawing board.

kickass32
09-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Matt Hughes is their coach, and one of the tools Matt uses for himself is Christianity, the gospel, and his faith. It has obviously worked out well for him........So I just see this as one of his coaching and training tools..

Tick
09-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Ok... but he didn't.

Ok... but they didn't. It's not "common knowledge" enough for Matt Hughes to have to explain it in his blog. Strike 2.

Ok... but the one guy (forgive me for not remembering his name) who said that Matt Hughes must have "seen the God" in him when he was picked to be on Hughes' team was very enthusiastic. Strike 3.

Gonna be tough keeping the people who deserve it on ignore if everyone is just gonna make other accounts. Hard to ban them too I guess. Back to the drawing board.

Matt Hughes is their coach, and one of the tools Matt uses for himself is Christianity, the gospel, and his faith. It has obviously worked out well for him........So I just see this as one of his coaching and training tools..

Now answer the question that was asked earlier. If the coach was a muslim (sorry, I do not no what fighters are Muslim to use a example) and he brought the Koran in and the same exact thing happened... Would you have the same feelings? Remember 7 of the 8 fighters went along with it and one didn't. It was them repeatedly suggested to the one fighter he should read it until he finally did just to get the coach off of his back. Would you have the same reaction?

OMNIpotus
09-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Now answer the question that was asked earlier. If the coach was a muslim (sorry, I do not no what fighters are Muslim to use a example) and he brought the Koran in and the same exact thing happened... Would you have the same feelings? Remember 7 of the 8 fighters went along with it and one didn't. It was them repeatedly suggested to the one fighter he should read it until he finally did just to get the coach off of his back. Would you have the same reaction?

Any book any religion refers to as its inspiration, source, rules or its bible would have illicited the same response from me at least. I may have gone into this on this thread or the other, but I was upset at first until they reminded me (so I can know as much as Palma thinks he knows) that they took all reading materials away from the fighters and they really have no escape other than wrecking the house or further training. When Hughes said the Bible was the only book the execs would let him bring in I think that's true and regardless of Hughes' real intentions, he says he was giving them an escape if they wanted it and I accept that as fact.

Marilyn Manson was asked about the Bible and he said it's a good story, but he thinks Cat in the Hat is a good story too. So while I was upset that it seemed like he was passively pushing it on people, I honestly do believe it was the only book they'd allow in.

Tick
09-29-2007, 03:16 PM
Any book any religion refers to as its inspiration, source, rules or its bible would have illicited the same response from me at least. I may have gone into this on this thread or the other, but I was upset at first until they reminded me (so I can know as much as Palma thinks he knows) that they took all reading materials away from the fighters and they really have no escape other than wrecking the house or further training. When Hughes said the Bible was the only book the execs would let him bring in I think that's true and regardless of Hughes' real intentions, he says he was giving them an escape if they wanted it and I accept that as fact.

Marilyn Manson was asked about the Bible and he said it's a good story, but he thinks Cat in the Hat is a good story too. So while I was upset that it seemed like he was passively pushing it on people, I honestly do believe it was the only book they'd allow in.
Oh, I believe that it was the only book allowed, I mean look at this thread for an example of the discussion it caused... What I really had the problem with was that he repeatedly went to danzig and 'suggested' he would read it. There in lies the problem.

OMNIpotus
09-29-2007, 03:24 PM
Oh, I believe that it was the only book allowed, I mean look at this thread for an example of the discussion it caused... What I really had the problem with was that he repeatedly went to danzig and 'suggested' he would read it. There in lies the problem.

And I don't disagree on that point as that struck a cord with me as well. But... if it ever came down to it, Hughes' excuse would hold up in court - IE there was no coercion other than shame, worrying about letting down your coach, or being the odd man out. While you and I may find that unconscionable... it happens, it will happen, and it's used as an excuse to get away with things like that. All people like you and I can do is lose respect for the people who use that tactic and move on.

Remember the Simpsons with The Leader? They showed them that movie and said "you're free to leave at any time." Then when Lenny gets up they shine a bright light on him and say "You're welcomed to leave of course, but may we ask why?" I think Hughes was just proving that he was a good Leader, possibly even a Queen.

Noob
09-29-2007, 05:02 PM
Remember the Simpsons with The Leader? They showed them that movie and said "you're free to leave at any time." Then when Lenny gets up they shine a bright light on him and say "You're welcomed to leave of course, but may we ask why?" I think Hughes was just proving that he was a good Leader, possibly even a Queen.

Lol, I think there is a valid point to be taken from that particular satirical piece. That seems very fitting, good memory.

OMNIpotus
09-29-2007, 05:20 PM
It really was a big work up to yet another excuse to call Hughes a queen. That will never stop being funny to me. I would pay for someone to send me a video when he said "I'm the Queen" (at least that's what he said in my mind). That may even be my new sig image.

Noob
09-29-2007, 06:12 PM
It really was a big work up to yet another excuse to call Hughes a queen. That will never stop being funny to me. I would pay for someone to send me a video when he said "I'm the Queen" (at least that's what he said in my mind). That may even be my new sig image.

Oh, I can get you that video. Give me about an hour and I think I can have it up.

OMNIpotus
09-29-2007, 06:16 PM
For the last time I will not be your mangina. Stop flirting with me. :valh:

twankydawg
09-29-2007, 06:20 PM

:lmfao:

Noob
09-29-2007, 06:21 PM

:dancingsmile: Oh yes you will.

OMNIpotus
09-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Alright, but you can't make me enjoy it.

But back on topic I think we'll find out more as time goes on with Mr. Hughes.

Palma
09-29-2007, 07:57 PM

Man, you really need to get over shit. I went off on you with everyone else in one thread several weeks ago. You can ignore me, but then don't mention me or reply to my posts and then say I'm ignored as I might take it the wrong way. Maybe you shouldn't be so sensitive about everything.

aerobabe326
09-29-2007, 09:08 PM
No one can question Matt Hughes' accomplishments and that he was a great champ. He does, however, LOVE to get in peoples heads and play mind games. He did it on Season 2 of TUF with Jorge and Rashad and TRIED to do it to GSP on season 4 but GSP didn't play along. Matt Serra is making it too easy. Hughes knows Serra hates him and that any little comment and a smirk will get the reaction he wants. Serra can't seem to stop focusing on his dislike for him.

Matt Hughes is exactly where he wants to be...In Matt Serra's head. It's a brilliant strategy and will work to his benefit as long as Serra let's it go on.

I like both of these guys for different reasons and would really like to see a great fight between the two of them but as long as Serra let's Hughes manipulate him he's not going to be able to focus on what he needs to do to win.

mcdev88
09-30-2007, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by twankydawg

Originally posted by twankydawg
What the fuck are you talking about, no one is debating whether is he was or wasn't a great champion.....seriously, have you even read the fucking thread? you sound like a christian. lol. :)

OMNIpotus
09-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Oh, I can get you that video. Give me about an hour and I think I can have it up.

I got it and thanks and all that, it's quite awesome, but you've created a dilemma for me. Now I have to install my video editing software to make it animated. The static "I'm the queen" is good, but the animated will be the bees knees. Don't know why you had to be so helpful when I'm on a 16 hour guarding a trashcan work binge and can't do it there. Damn I miss my laptop.

Noob
09-30-2007, 04:01 PM
I got it and thanks and all that, it's quite awesome, but you've created a dilemma for me. Now I have to install my video editing software to make it animated. The static "I'm the queen" is good, but the animated will be the bees knees. Don't know why you had to be so helpful when I'm on a 16 hour guarding a trashcan work binge and can't do it there. Damn I miss my laptop.

Just get you some VLC Player.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

It's tiny, free, and it will play anything. I've never had a file it wouldn't play.

June<3
10-01-2007, 04:29 PM

yeah i think that matt is a good fighter however his ego and the way he is as a person is what bugs me. and its what makes me not like him. Thats why it was so awesome when GSP knocked him out lol :grinsmile1:

OMNIpotus
10-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Just get you some VLC Player.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

It's tiny, free, and it will play anything. I've never had a file it wouldn't play.

Playing is not the issue, it's making it into an animated gif =)

Noob
10-01-2007, 09:40 PM
Playing is not the issue, it's making it into an animated gif =)

Did you get the Boogie one? I have watched that once a day since I made it. Still makes me giggle with lighthearted glee.

OMNIpotus
10-01-2007, 10:49 PM
It was beautabulous. Yeah, masterfully done. Thanks again. Gotten more comments on that sig than the satirical drama I tend to stir up =)

Mungo
10-03-2007, 08:00 AM
Hey can I get a link to that video OMNI?

OMNIpotus
10-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Talk to Noob, I downloaded and deleted the link. If there's a problem PM me and I'll upload it to my domain for ya.