PDA

View Full Version : Observation after watching episodes 1 and 2

thumper
09-28-2007, 03:34 AM
I was thinking before this last episode that I might have been throwing Serra under the bus and pre-maturely calling him a prick. But after watching this episode I've come to the conclusion i don't EVER want Matt Serra as my friend. He calls Joe Rudiger :) his friend, yet talk’s big time shit about him behind his back. Calling him a bitch, making a scene saying he's going to kick him off the team, when we all knew he wouldn't.

But here's the real point of the thread.

I really disliked the whole bible thing. It was awkward and way over the line.

Barring that, have you noticed the difference in the spirit of the teams? Matt Serra has already set the stage. Sneaky, seemingly insincere, definitely not a morale boosting premise. he talks shit about his own friend, and there just seems like there's friction already.

Team Hughes on the other hand, did you notice how tight those guys were? That was great. They are definitely working as a team, and boosting each other up. Even in the loss.

But you can really tell who's there to do what. Matt Serra was talking to Joe. he says "don't do this to me" when Joe wants to leave. Then he turns around and says "don't do this to yourself" as though it were an afterthought. Clearly his concern is himself and not his team. I'm not trying to be some sort of forum psychologist but it's pretty obvious. His words just make it clear.

Hughes on the other hand, referred to his team as 'us' and 'we'. Not 'them' like Serra. He also had nothing but positive things to say unless i missed something.

Most of the episode was Serra and his drama queen M.O. You barely even saw Hughes because he wasn't pushing all the drama bullshit. He was short, concise and seemingly sincere.

Granted I'm biased here because I do like Hughes a lot. I liked Serra a little before this season started but was already well tired of his babbling and crying how people are unfair to him and talking shit while whining about someone else doing the same thing.

I personally think this season is going to really damage Serra's reputation. In the world of MMA it's rare you get a real glimpse of the person behind the gloves. But in this case it would seem that Serra would be far better off if he remained off the screen.

Matt is going to come off looking good if he immediately stops the bible thumping and trying to shove his beliefs down other people's throats. That's my biggest complaint with religon. Not that people believe in something, it's the way they try to force it on everyone else.

I'll hold my shield up knowing all the Serra fans are about to launch :)

Weirdharold
09-28-2007, 03:49 AM
Bear in mind that it is a "reality show" and as such probably editors and directors, etc., use slick editing to exacerbate assinine qualities of various members of the cast. They are very good at what they do.....

Of course Serra gives them - oh so much material to work with....

twankydawg
09-28-2007, 04:18 AM

Well, Joey was being a bitch and he just spoke the truth, that's how he is. It's amazing how much Hughes is trying so hard to change his image of being a complete asshole. He's a great fighter but he's a dickhead. Serra speaks his mind, can't fault the guy for keepin it real, at least we're seeing the real Matt Serra while Hughes is trying everything he can to not show his true colors.

jkilla374
09-28-2007, 05:14 AM
Have to disagree with you.

I think Serra is showing leadership by coming down hard on Joey. He picked Joey first out of loyalty and to show his team that he is a loyal guy.

And how does Joey pay him back: by being mentally unprepared to be there and by wanting to quit not only his fight but the entire show.

Instead of Serra showing favoritism, he shows his team that no matter who you are, you cannot quit.

And I know Serra curses a lot, called Joey a pussy, etc.; but being from Long Island, that's just the way we talk to our friends. It probably sounds crazy to people, but when I get a call on my cell phone, i check the caller ID and if it is one of my friends, I answer it: "what's up asshole?" or something like that. And my friends normally give it right back to me.

I wonder why no one is talking about how Serra outcoached Hughes? Hughes even admitted himself that he should have spent more time coaching his fighter. Hughes simply thought his guy would win, and did nothing but boost his fighter's ego.

Serra, on the other hand, worked a game plan and put in a ton of time to get his fighter prepared. And who won? Serra's guy.

Funny no one mentions that.

thumper
09-28-2007, 05:35 AM
How do you know how much training matt did? they didn't show any training at all. Well very little. So other than what Matt said there's no basis to say that is there?

What is it that makes you feel that?

I see your side with serra, I just disagree with it. but it doesn't surprise me the angle you're basing it on.

As for hughest saying that, to me it showed that he accepts responsibility for his teams losses instead of just blaming the fighters.

It's all perspective though. know what I mean?

OMNIpotus
09-28-2007, 05:54 AM
I find it odd that I agree with both of you guys (thumper and Jkilla) on various points you make. I think the telling comment was Thumper saying that Hughes is taking responsibility for the loss. I think both guys probably did put in comparable trianing times with their fighters, but Hughes's guy was at a distinct disadvantage because I don't think he was all there mentally at that time. That fight could have gone either way but Hughes's guy just wasn't ready mentally and I think he had already beaten himself in his own head, much like Joe did in the first fight.

I thought it was poigniant when Serra came in, had as close of a heart-to-heart as I think Serra is able to convey, and then Joe was there the next day helping the guys train. My mind turned from "Joe is a wuss" to "Joe is ok". Then Joe keeps on about the phone thing and he's worried about his girl and all that. Now, once those girl thoughts are in your head, it's hard to get them out, but you gotta make a decision man. If you're a fighter, this is the fastest way to an improved situation with the biggest employer out there. You cannot wuss out on stuff like this if you're serious about fighting. I think Serra sees this and that's why he's coming down so hard on Joe, he sees his friend throwing away a golden opportunity.

Krazikarl
09-28-2007, 06:06 AM
Leadership isnt blowing up, losing emotional control, saying you are going to do something, and then changing your mind. You cant call somebody (on your team!) a bitch, say you are going to kick him off, and then not do it and pretend its all good. Thats HORRIBLE leadership. To come down hard on somebody is one thing, but to waffle back and forth on it is something else. WAY too much drama. A lot of it is obviously Joey's fault, but Serra isnt helping one bit.

You dont insult your guys in public. If you want to give public criticisms, thats one thing and that motivates some people (although I question that method for the case of Joey since he clearly has a fragile ego). But you dont call somebody a bitch in front of the team.

Serra didnt greatly outcoach anybody. Getting his BJJ guy to take down a MT guy isnt a sign of brilliant coaching. It means that Serra has an IQ over 4.

What the Hughes statement means about how much training he did with Dorian is hard to say. Some very good, intelligent coaches will take the blame even if they dont deserve it because it makes the team believe in them more. Most people want to fight for a guy who has their back and will shoulder some of the blame instead of somebody who tosses them udner the bus. We didnt see how much training he did with Dorian, so its really hard to tell what is up.

jkilla374
09-28-2007, 06:26 AM
How do you know how much training matt did? they didn't show any training at all. Well very little. So other than what Matt said there's no basis to say that is there?

What is it that makes you feel that?

I see your side with serra, I just disagree with it. but it doesn't surprise me the angle you're basing it on.

As for hughest saying that, to me it showed that he accepts responsibility for his teams losses instead of just blaming the fighters.

It's all perspective though. know what I mean?

It could just be the editing, but on the second show, from the point when the fight is announced to the fight we see the following:

Hughes and his team saying how serra made a poor choice in the fight, in that their fighter is going to win. There is literally no footage of hughes discussing a legitimate game plan with his fighter. Hughes just tells his fighter that Serra made a mistake and that he is going to win.

Serra trains his fighter to stand until he can get a take down, then get it to the ground and ground and pound and or submit once on the ground. You see Serra personally sparing with Arroyo and literally walking through the game plan.

When the fight comes, Arroyo executes the game plan that his coach gave him and wins the fight handily (despite taking a tough new in the beginning).

After the fight, Hughes admits that he should have spent more time with Price.

So, Hughes started out trashing Serra about making a bad fight pick, then Serra trains his fighter properly while Hughes does not, and Serra's fighter wins.

Yet Serra gets no credit and he is still a dick and everyone can't wait for Hughes to smash him.

LadyJag
09-28-2007, 05:47 PM
I was thinking before this last episode that I might have been throwing Serra under the bus and pre-maturely calling him a prick. But after watching this episode I've come to the conclusion i don't EVER want Matt Serra as my friend. He calls Joe Rudiger :) his friend, yet talk’s big time shit about him behind his back. Calling him a bitch, making a scene saying he's going to kick him off the team, when we all knew he wouldn't.

But here's the real point of the thread.

I really disliked the whole bible thing. It was awkward and way over the line.

Barring that, have you noticed the difference in the spirit of the teams? Matt Serra has already set the stage. Sneaky, seemingly insincere, definitely not a morale boosting premise. he talks shit about his own friend, and there just seems like there's friction already.

Team Hughes on the other hand, did you notice how tight those guys were? That was great. They are definitely working as a team, and boosting each other up. Even in the loss.

But you can really tell who's there to do what. Matt Serra was talking to Joe. he says "don't do this to me" when Joe wants to leave. Then he turns around and says "don't do this to yourself" as though it were an afterthought. Clearly his concern is himself and not his team. I'm not trying to be some sort of forum psychologist but it's pretty obvious. His words just make it clear.

Hughes on the other hand, referred to his team as 'us' and 'we'. Not 'them' like Serra. He also had nothing but positive things to say unless i missed something.

Most of the episode was Serra and his drama queen M.O. You barely even saw Hughes because he wasn't pushing all the drama bullshit. He was short, concise and seemingly sincere.

Granted I'm biased here because I do like Hughes a lot. I liked Serra a little before this season started but was already well tired of his babbling and crying how people are unfair to him and talking shit while whining about someone else doing the same thing.

I personally think this season is going to really damage Serra's reputation. In the world of MMA it's rare you get a real glimpse of the person behind the gloves. But in this case it would seem that Serra would be far better off if he remained off the screen.

Matt is going to come off looking good if he immediately stops the bible thumping and trying to shove his beliefs down other people's throats. That's my biggest complaint with religon. Not that people believe in something, it's the way they try to force it on everyone else.

I think that serra is a good coach.. and the gy is is friend and a good friend apparently if i were serra i woudl be telling my friend the same thing "why do this to yourself" rmember they edit and sensor what we see... whos to say he didn't say it to joes face? we donno that??? honestly this is the tuf people who edit the seaon making it interesting for tv.. think about how much footage they go thru for an hour or whatever the show is....

thumper
09-28-2007, 06:34 PM
they didn't edit that quote it was one sentence lol