PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Criticism of Hughes' poor coaching of Price?

jkilla374
09-27-2007, 10:17 PM
In the second episode, Price (T Hughes) gets his ass handed to him by Arroyo (T Serra).

Hughes spends time in Bible study and even admits after the fight that he should have spent more time training Price for the fight.

Serra personally works with and spars with Arroyo and helps him develop a game plan to defeat Price, and his plan works perfectly.

Yet, the boards here are all still focused on trashing Serra. I thought it would be at least an "equal opportunity" bashing in that when a Serra fighter lost, Serra would be criticized, when a Hughes fighter lost, Hughes would be criticized.

However, here we are, a day or so after the second episode, and everyone is still bashing serra.

ArMnHC
09-27-2007, 10:24 PM
i will never be one to shy away from criticizing anything that is Matt Hughes so this is a perfect thread for me LOL :grinsmile1:

unfortunately i missed this week's episode, but i read the reulsts. id say the dumbest thing Hughes has done is his little bible belt, preachy bullsh*t! what a moron. if there is one thing i cant stand, its people who push religion upon other people, and pressuring his team into reading the f*cking bible is what Hughes did. i repsect everyones right to worship as they chose, but f*ck what Hughes did.

poor Dorian, cuz the guy really is a good sport. i watched his post fight interview on UFC.com and was really impressed by his character. i admire his humbleness and hope he goes places in the sport. sucks he got stuck with a sucky coach, but what can you do right?

WAR TEAM SERRA!!!

jkilla374
09-27-2007, 10:28 PM
I admit I am a Serra fan.

I also admit that I respect the hell out of Hughes and think he is an MMA legend. I personally don't think Hughes is a dick or whatever else, I just think he is very confident and has a big ego (and one could argue he deserves it with all he has accomplished).

I still pick Serra to win their fight by TKO.

I'm just very intrigued that everyone is jumping all over Serra, saying Hughes is in his head, etc. Then Serra one-ups Hughes in the second episode, and in the end, Hughes literally admits he could have coached better, yet there is no criticism of him.

I just want to engage in a respectful, non-flaming debate with the Hughes fans / Serra haters.

ArMnHC
09-27-2007, 10:34 PM
it was noted a while back that Hughes almost left the show before they concluded taping it because of issues with Serra. so really who's in whose head? id say serra is in Matt's more then anything.

Serra already hates Hughes and is very forward about it. it's not a mystery. Hughes' hatred for Serra grows every day, and that could really mess him up come fight time. im still picking Serra by Submission, and will jump for joy all over the place when that happens!!! :grinsmile1:

Severn
09-27-2007, 10:49 PM

I also admit that I respect the hell out of Hughes and think he is an MMA legend. I personally don't think Hughes is a dick or whatever else, I just think he is very confident and has a big ego (and one could argue he deserves it with all he has accomplished).

I'm just very intrigued that everyone is jumping all over Serra, saying Hughes is in his head, etc. Then Serra one-ups Hughes in the second episode, and in the end, Hughes literally admits he could have coached better, yet there is no criticism of him.

I just want to engage in a respectful, non-flaming debate with the Hughes fans / Serra haters.

How much criticism can you expect for him to get when he already admits he made a mistake? There's already a six page thread of back and forth over Hughes decision to bring the bible to practice. He's not getting off scott free off anything.

Serra's the one who keeps opening his mouth and it's a broken record right now. Same shit "Hughes is a dick" again, again and again. It's played out and old. And this goes back before there was a show. I was happy for Serra and liked his honestly... a few months ago. Now it's more of the same and Hughes isn't calling him names or anything. All he's saying is what some already believe. He got lucky against GSP. I'm no Hughes fan but he's not looking bad. The only mistake so far he's made he's already compt to.

LookitsLance
09-29-2007, 10:52 PM
you never know how much anyone is trained or anything, since we only see what they want us to see..

Steel
09-30-2007, 12:42 AM

Cool brother, I am all in.

I liked (past tense) Serra and think he did a great job with GSP. However, the more I think about it, the more I feel that he was in the right place at the right time, in that GSP did indeed have some problems at that point in his life. I'm not saying it was luck, I'm saying that circumstances worked in his favor.

Matt Hughes to me is legendary as he has beaten great fighters. He can also be a tool with the attitude he displays. Serra too, was a tool when his guy, his student was in the trainagle and he's calling the guy a pussy for tapping. I felt like he was concerned more for his team losing than his brother and student.

Highes has a different coaching style. Do I agree with the Bible distribution? No absolutely not. However, most reality shows edit the content to get a point across or create a certain view/vision for the public. It may be worse/better than what it seemed. Either way, he meant well, but I'd want to know if it was shoving down your throat thing or a it's here if you need it thing. I saw bits and pieces of the show so I'm not sure.

I think both Matts have a chip on the shoulder at this point although I am pretty confident that Hughes will put Serra away by a decision and show of strength.

Serra seems to talk alot more than Hughes or at least thats how it is edited to seem.