PDA

View Full Version : Nursing a small injury. Need help

Ramma
09-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Hey guys. I hurt my finger (pointer finger) pretty bad a few weeks ago (right before labor day) during a MT class. It still kind of hurts now if I squeeze my fist to hard or if I put my thumb over it and push it toward my palm. It is kind of messing up my punching power. Anyone have a suggestion on how to make it heal up quicker? Do I need some tape or should I ice it? Or do I have to just be careful and wait it out? Information please.

I have only really hurt a wrist, ankle, toe, foot, and rib before.. I have no idea what to do with a (sprained?) finger lol.

Rufio
09-28-2007, 10:12 PM
Only thing I can thing of is that you should mega-dose your B vitamins, vitamin C, and calcium. Those are good ideas in general though for recuperative abilities and bone health. Probably won't make much of a difference with this individual inury,

Ramma
09-29-2007, 12:12 AM
Only thing I can thing of is that you should mega-dose your B vitamins, vitamin C, and calcium. Those are good ideas in general though for recuperative abilities and bone health. Probably won't make much of a difference with this individual inury,
Alright, time to whip out the orange juice! :) Anyone else got any advice?

kaiz77
09-29-2007, 12:24 AM
I searched the web for ya....this link appeared to be the most detailed.....
Hope this helps!!!....heal up...

http://www.aurorahealthcare.org/yourhealth/healthgate/getcontent.asp?URLhealthgate=%2211858.html%22

Ramma
09-29-2007, 12:37 AM
I searched the web for ya....this link appeared to be the most detailed.....
Hope this helps!!!....heal up...

http://www.aurorahealthcare.org/yourhealth/healthgate/getcontent.asp?URLhealthgate=%2211858.html%22

Thanks man. I guess I will continue to use ice to get rid of the pain. It hasn't been swollen for about a week or 2 now.. so the other stuff isn't necessary.

I guess I have to be careful and play the waiting game.

kaiz77
09-29-2007, 12:41 AM
Yup Yup....not fun but you do what you gotta do....

Rufio
09-29-2007, 12:46 AM
Alright, time to whip out the orange juice! :) Anyone else got any advice?

LOL ... By mega-dosing I mean taking like 3000-5000% of the daily recommended value. OJ will get you maybe 500%. You should take a few C and B Complex pills a day, along with calcium. The B vitamins are extremely important for nervous system, muscle tissue, and recuperative health. Calcium is awesome for bones and can help keep fat off. Vitamin C is perhaps the most important of all ... It's responsible for keeping thousands of bodily functions running smoothly. There are several vitamins of which an athlete would be better off taking over 10 times the recommended daily value for optimal performance and recovery.

You could just take a multivitamin several times a day, but the problem is that you don't want to really mega-dose the fat soluble vitamins like vitamin A. That can be trouble. I personally take 5 multivitamins a day (to make sure I get enough magnesium and at least twice the recommended value of zinc) plus calcium, C and B complex. I've noticed a big difference in less soreness and wounds healing faster.

Getting your vitamins and minerals sorted out is more of a long term solution, though. Still, I think most people don't pay enough attention to it. If you're going to push yourself hard in some physical activity, getting enough vitamins and minerals can greatly aide in your progress.

Check this out:

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/facts/vitamins_which.htm

Ramma
09-29-2007, 01:11 AM
LOL ... By mega-dosing I mean taking like 3000-5000% of the daily recommended value. OJ will get you maybe 500%. You should take a few C and B Complex pills a day, along with calcium. The B vitamins are extremely important for nervous system, muscle tissue, and recuperative health. Calcium is awesome for bones and can help keep fat off. Vitamin C is perhaps the most important of all ... It's responsible for keeping thousands of bodily functions running smoothly. There are several vitamins of which an athlete would be better off taking over 10 times the recommended daily value for optimal performance and recovery.

You could just take a multivitamin several times a day, but the problem is that you don't want to really mega-dose the fat soluble vitamins like vitamin A. That can be trouble. I personally take 5 multivitamins a day (to make sure I get enough magnesium and at least twice the recommended value of zinc) plus calcium, C and B complex. I've noticed a big difference in less soreness and wounds healing faster.

Getting your vitamins and minerals sorted out is more of a long term solution, though. Still, I think most people don't pay enough attention to it. If you're going to push yourself hard in some physical activity, getting enough vitamins and minerals can greatly aide in your progress.

Check this out:

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/facts/vitamins_which.htm

I know lol, I was making a joke.. a He He Ha Ha.. if you will.

Rufio
09-29-2007, 04:54 AM
Gah, sorry. I can never tell when people are joking about these kind of things.

ChuckBooty
09-30-2007, 12:18 AM
Ibuprofen will reduce the inflammation. Take 800mgs three-times per day. Maybe buy one of those finger splints...and ice it a lot. Really the only thing that's gonna help is to wait. I f'ed up my knee during MT and I KNOW how it feels to miss week after week, but really the worst thing you can do is start training again before it's healed.

Ramma
09-30-2007, 12:41 AM
Ibuprofen will reduce the inflammation. Take 800mgs three-times per day. Maybe buy one of those finger splints...and ice it a lot. Really the only thing that's gonna help is to wait. I f'ed up my knee during MT and I KNOW how it feels to miss week after week, but really the worst thing you can do is start training again before it's healed.

Thanks for the info. I may get a splint to put on just for my off days. I am sure it will help.

Yeah, I have been working on speed and accuracy with my punches. I am definitely laying off of the power because I know as soon as I throw hard jab my finger is going to hurt like a bitch. On my own, I have been just working on elbows, kicks, and knees.. trying to stay away from punching as much as possible.

halozero
10-01-2007, 02:13 AM
it could be a sprain as rufio suggested, but it sounds a bit like a "jam" to me--not a medical term, but that's what we called it back in HS wrestling. keep up with the B-complex and C vits, as well as ibuprophen or naproxen {aleve} for inflammation and pain--don't stress it too much.

the troubling thing is if it is a jam, it should have stopped bothering you by now.

you should probably go see an orthapedist or sports medicine guy. good thing we have such good socialized medicine in this country so you don't have to pay.....wait....

fuck, never mind:speechless: