PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Division Dilemmas.

Jory
09-28-2007, 04:45 PM
I was sitting down at home last night pondering a few things about the lightweight division from an analytical standpoint. First off, I feel that no matter what defense Sean Sherk provides at his upcoming hearing, he will be found guilty, and thus stripped of the belt by Dana. It may be a bold statement, but i'm going on past precedents and similar situations we have witnessed before.

With that being said, and assuming the lightweight title becomes newly vacant, i feel it's a general consensus that BJ Penn will have that belt around his waist reasonably soon. I do not like to knock the lightweight division, because I feel it is one of the more exciting and dynamic weight classes of mixed martial arts, often sadly overshadowed by heavier (and in many cases, less talented) weight classes. I also feel that BJ Penn is currently at another calibre of fighting then the other opponents within the lightweight division, should he become champion. This is also not a knock on Florian, Din and a few others, because they are amazing fighters, but i honestly feel that on a day-to-day basis, BJ would beat them soundly.

With all of this being said, i now pose two questions: Assuming BJ Penn becomes the lightweight champion, who do you feel in the Welterweight, and maybe even the Middleweight class, should cut down the appropriate weight in order to provide BJ Penn with the same level and the same calibre of fighting in order to put on amazing fights and legitimately challenge him for his title? Also with regards to the second question, with the acquisition of Pride and the signing of many fighters that has resulted in a stacked Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight division, who do you feel should be signed in regards to building up and stacking the Lightweight division?

smoogy
09-29-2007, 07:17 PM
I was sitting down at home last night pondering a few things about the lightweight division from an analytical standpoint. First off, I feel that no matter what defense Sean Sherk provides at his upcoming hearing, he will be found guilty, and thus stripped of the belt by Dana. It may be a bold statement, but i'm going on past precedents and similar situations we have witnessed before.

With that being said, and assuming the lightweight title becomes newly vacant, i feel it's a general consensus that BJ Penn will have that belt around his waist reasonably soon. I do not like to knock the lightweight division, because I feel it is one of the more exciting and dynamic weight classes of mixed martial arts, often sadly overshadowed by heavier (and in many cases, less talented) weight classes. I also feel that BJ Penn is currently at another calibre of fighting then the other opponents within the lightweight division, should he become champion. This is also not a knock on Florian, Din and a few others, because they are amazing fighters, but i honestly feel that on a day-to-day basis, BJ would beat them soundly.

With all of this being said, i now pose two questions: Assuming BJ Penn becomes the lightweight champion, who do you feel in the Welterweight, and maybe even the Middleweight class, should cut down the appropriate weight in order to provide BJ Penn with the same level and the same calibre of fighting in order to put on amazing fights and legitimately challenge him for his title? Also with regards to the second question, with the acquisition of Pride and the signing of many fighters that has resulted in a stacked Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight division, who do you feel should be signed in regards to building up and stacking the Lightweight division?

Good post but you asked too many questions, lolz. Penn is a cut above the rest but it won't be long before there are some legitimate challengers for him. Frank Edgar, Clay Guida, and Tyson Griffin are all in position to contend next year, and Joe Daddy looks to be the #1 contender if Penn is the new top guy. That being said, if Diego Sanchez moved down things would be spiced up considerably.

Jory
09-29-2007, 08:11 PM
I remember the knee bar Frankie got caught in a fight or two back, that was sick so yeah, im sure he would be able to deal fairly well with any submission BJ would throw his way. For some reason, I just don't like Joe Daddy as a fighter, though im sure your right and he will be near the top very soon. I've never seen Guida fight, but from what I've heard hes pretty talented. I saw Tyson's fight last PPV and he did well and he's in a great camp with Randy, so he has all the tools to get to the top. And now that I think about it, I think Huerta will do good, considering he is put up against credible competition.

FFFRpickup
09-29-2007, 08:33 PM

serra SHOULD move down to 155....he would be a beast at 155. as for bringing in pride figher..haven't given it a thought .

terriblet
09-29-2007, 10:12 PM

The Lightweight Division is already stacked.I don't think anybody needs to drop down to make sure BJ has some competition.Also the UFC needs to sign 2 of the best lightweights in the world,Gilbert Melendez & Takanori Gomi.I know BJ already beat Gomi but that was years ago.I'd say the Lightweight & the Lightheavyweight Divisions are easily the most competitive as well as the most exciting.