PDA

View Full Version : Holyfield.

Alvin
08-20-2006, 05:46 PM
I just had a horrible feeling.

Now that Holyfield has just beaten a truck-driver hauled in during his lunch-break in his comeback fight. It won't be long before they pitch him in with a championship belt.

That's not the horrible feeling I got.

The point is with all the trash holding the world heavyweight belts (Klitschko aside) at the moment, he could very well clean up.

Lance Roid
08-20-2006, 09:12 PM
Holyfield's days are numbered. He's boxing on borrowed time.

Luis Cruz
08-21-2006, 04:19 AM
^^I agree man^^......just like Roy Jones. One win and people think they're contenders again only to see it crash the moment they get a real fight with an actual contender.

Afro
08-22-2006, 02:12 AM
I wouldnt compare it to Roy Jones, Roy Jones beat a good boxer.. Holyfield beat a car salesmen.. the more he boxes the more he hurts his legacy.

billwilliams70
08-24-2006, 05:12 AM
I agree with Afro on this one, Jones beat a good fighter/boxer, Holyfields "trucker on his lunch break" was actually far worse than described. His legacy loses points the more he fights now. I think the only HW he'd stand a chance against is Maskaev (spell checker please) though. I think everyone else would still win.....decision or otherwise.

Later.

steelebone
08-24-2006, 03:22 PM
Jones still has good skill, don't bash Roy but Holy is 6 years past anything that resembles a prime. Any commision that gives him a liscense should be ashamed!

Luis Cruz
08-24-2006, 07:46 PM
You guys are forgetting Roy doesn'tt have his great defense anymore. He got away with how he fought back in the day because he never got hit, that's not the case anymore. Now he gets hit and he gets hurt. His chin isn't the best. So i'm still saying he's done, he can't be a top champion in his division, which i think is pretty much Hopkins. He looked ok against a lower level opponent (the guy wasn't that good, only Roy fans will tell you he was) but against a top contender or champion it'll show again, he's done. Holyfield is done...period.

fighterforjc
09-10-2006, 09:31 AM
^^I agree man^^......just like Roy Jones. One win and people think they're contenders again only to see it crash the moment they get a real fight with an actual contender.

while i believe that Holyfield probably has no chance of beating any of the 4 heavyweight champs, in all fairness to Holyfield, the reason he's lost his last 3 fights before bates is because he fought the best available. Holyfield lost to THE best heavyweight toney...toney has been fat and out of shape since his fight with holyfield, and toney has proven himself to be a legitimate heavyweight threat. no shame for a 40 year old holyfield losing to an in-shape toney. Against Chris Byrd, well, Byrd will continue to be one of the most difficult fighters to beat, as long as byrd is fighting someone his size, which Holyfield happens to be. and Larry Donald, don't forget that many believe that he should've gotten the decision when he fought Valuev, one of the current heavyweight champs.

Point is, Holyfield should've been fighting stiffs in his last few outtings just to get back in the groove of things and ease in to his twilight "prime," instead of trying to fight the best available opponent. All the other heavyweight contenders don't seem to have a problem fighting tomato cans to pad their record and add to their highlight reels, and it won't hurt Holyfield to start doing that. If anyone deserves to fight a few tomato cans, it's Holyfield. He has fought literally every formidable heavyweight in the last decade and a half, he deserves a break. Jeremy Bates is not a lesser fighter than the bums Samuel Peter knocked out to build his reputation as a KO artist.