PDA

View Full Version : Where does Brett Favre Really Rank?

Severn
10-01-2007, 08:55 PM
Ok, Brett Favre set the new all-time TD record yesterday. Now I guess everyone wants to rate him really, really high since he did that and is 4-0 at the moment. The consensus (from sportscasters) is that he's the in the top five QB's of all time.

The question from me is, is he really rank THAT high? I mean top five? I think Bradshaw, Montana, Young, Elway, P. Manning, Staubach, Aikaman, Marino, Brady are better QB's IMO. Favre is top ten easy but I think top five is too high.

Where would you guys rank BF?

Dork8503
10-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Numbers Talk, Bullshit walks.

I think that makes since.lol

Personally I hate Farve, but I think it would be unfair to rank him outside the top 5.

but hasn't Farve played something like 17 seasons or some shit which is more then the rest of those qb's

I mean if you did 1000 td passes in 9 seasons an it took me 17 to beat it, i shouldnt be ranked as high as you

Afro
10-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Favre is definently outside the Top 5

You take Marino, Elway, Montana, Unitas, and Tarkenton before Favre

Afro
10-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Yea, well I'm not a football type of guy, so you guys are probably right.
There are strong cases for Favre still being bottom 10, hes a gunslinger.. they dont get a whole heap of credit like the great field generals such as Brady(left him out of the Top 5 on accident), Montana, etc. I know very smart football people who have Favre as low as behind Steve Young.

eazye76
10-01-2007, 10:44 PM
Favre is definently outside the Top 5

You take Marino, Elway, Montana, Unitas, and Tarkenton before Favre
I'm not a big Favre fan, BUT when it's all said and done he will have all of Marino's notable records and one more superbowl.

Afro
10-01-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm not a big Favre fan, BUT when it's all said and done he will have all of Marino's notable records and one more superbowl.
He will also have more bad seasons, more INTs, and stats dont make the player.. game film says Marino is leagues ahead of Favre as a QB.. ill take a QB that can do a helluva lot more then throw deep any day over the gunslinger that Favre was. Marino will be in the Top 3 even after Manning is all said and done with his career (which may end with him being the best QB of all-time)

Afro
10-01-2007, 10:51 PM
I mean if Farve wins another SB, that has to bump him up a bit right?

He would be the oldest SB champ right?
Hes 37, John was 38.

sandywh
10-02-2007, 12:32 AM
1 - Montana
2 - Elway
3 - Marino
4 - Manning
5 - Unitas
6 - Favre
7 - Young, Steve
8 - Tark
9 - Bradshaw
10 - Kelly, Jim

The first two are not even debateable. Until someone has the comebacks, playoff victories, and Super Bowls to go with the amazing stats these two are in a class all their own.

3-6 are all great on their own merits. Personally I hate Dan Marino, but his stats are amazing. Manning will break all of them, and he won a SB. Unitas is, was and will always be the prototype. Favre has the stats and victories, but has a ton of the negatives too (INTs & comp. perc)

7-10 you can argue that maybe someone deserves the spot, but they did their thing. SB appearances, passing records, leadership ability, etc.

No Love for Aikman. He doesn't deserve it. The only QB in history that couldn't have won with that team is maybe Scott Mitchell.

Punk Ass
10-02-2007, 06:50 AM
1 - Montana
2 - Elway
3 - Marino
4 - Manning
5 - Unitas
6 - Favre
7 - Young, Steve
8 - Tark
9 - Bradshaw
10 - Kelly, Jim

I'm not understanding your rankings. Why is steve Young so low when he broke all of Montana's records, and why the hell is Jim Kelly in there? He's done nothing. Where's Troy Aikman? He was addicted to SBs at one point.

Afro
10-02-2007, 07:23 AM
I'm not understanding your rankings. Why is steve Young so low when he broke all of Montana's records, and why the hell is Jim Kelly in there? He's done nothing. Where's Troy Aikman? He was addicted to SBs at one point.
Jim Kelly has done nothing? lol hes done a shit load and deserves to be Top 10.

The real question is where is Brady in that Top 10

and it is kind of getting annoying that people love to discredit every Cowboys player cuz they were on a great team, face the facts people.. Emmitt Smith is Top 3 all-time, Aikman is Top 10.

Macgyver
10-02-2007, 09:09 AM
I don't like to discredit the guy because of his QB-style (gunslinger vs. game manager). What's better...throwing for 150 yds, 1 TD, 0 ints and winning the game or throwing for 350, 3 TD's, 2 Ints and winning the game? Bottom line is Favre has won more games than anyone.

He is one of the greats...borderline top 5 depending on the criteria you are using to rank.

Afro
10-02-2007, 09:35 AM
I don't like to discredit the guy because of his QB-style (gunslinger vs. game manager). What's better...throwing for 150 yds, 1 TD, 0 ints and winning the game or throwing for 350, 3 TD's, 2 Ints and winning the game? Bottom line is Favre has won more games than anyone.

He is one of the greats...borderline top 5 depending on the criteria you are using to rank.
How about throwing 3 TDs and 0 INTs and winning a game? and its not gunslinger vs game manager, its just the whole style of being a gunslinger.. I am not discrediting Favre to the point of saying hes not a great QB, he is a great QB.. and ya borderline Top 5.. I agree, I wouldnt put him there but I can see the case.. but being a gunslinger, throwing so many INTs, holding on for so long (thus why he has so many records) being a pretty one-dimensional QB.. I wouldnt put him in the Top 5.

I mean people use the team argument so much like this player wouldnt be so good if he wasnt on this team, then why do people judge players souly on stats so much?

on any given team, id take atleast 5 QBs ahead of Favre. Hes still a first ballot HOFer, still Top 10, still one of the best ever.. but IMO there are 5 that played the QB position better then he did. I am one that doesnt believe Marino is so great because of his stats, Favre is great because of his stats.. Marino had stats.. and he was a HOF Prototype QB if that makes any sense to anyone. If Archie Manning had All-time stats, he would be Dan Marino.. just physically gifted as a passer, and so technically sound.. add that to his stats and you see why Dan Marino is top 3 of all-time, still the greatest passer of all-time, and if he had won a superbowl he would unanimously be the greatest QB of all-time.

My #1 right now is John Elway.. hate the donks, hate that bitch to death but he was great. Montana is 2nd, Marino 3rd.

Macgyver
10-02-2007, 10:33 AM
I mean people use the team argument so much like this player wouldnt be so good if he wasnt on this team, then why do people judge players souly on stats so much?

People use stats as their benchmark as it is easier to measure and compare than intangibles (ie, leadership).

I agree though that you can't say for one person "he has the best stats" and then for another person say "his stats are only good because of his team". For the QB position though, it is tough just go by stats because there are so many factors that skew the stats (ie, when they played, how good their defense was, etc.)

My point was that regardless of whether or not he had the best arm, threw for the most yards, most accurate, you ultimately want your QB to win games and that's what Brett has done. That's why I could see people ranking him top 5.

That is why it is so tough to rank top 10 as it will differ depending on the criteria you use to rank your QB's, and you can always argue anyones rankings!!

Severn
10-02-2007, 10:46 AM

The real question is where is Brady in that Top 10.

I think the other question is how much value to put in Super Bowl victories.

Bradshaw (who more or less resembles what Favre plays like now in this era) and Montana have four each. Aikman, Brady have three. Even tho' Elway has two victories he played in five, that's one hell of a feat. Tarkenton played in three and Jim Kelly played in four straight. Jim Kelly has had a great career that sadly gets pushed aside beacause of "wide right".

I think if a few more breaks went his way I think Bernie Kosar would get mentioned more often. Oh wells. :sadsong:

For the moment I think Brady is just outside the top five.

jesusatemyhotdog
10-02-2007, 11:00 AM
^^^^^^^^Is that Peter Cushing in your av?

Severn
10-02-2007, 11:04 AM
^^^^^^^^Is that Peter Cushing in your av?

Yes sir.

jesusatemyhotdog
10-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Yes sir.

Why?

Nothing against it, just wondering the significance.

He was the best Van Helsing ever.

Severn
10-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Why?

Nothing against it, just wondering the significance.

He was the best Van Helsing ever.

and the best Dr. Frankenstein ever.

I'm just a big horror buff, modern and classic. Christopher Lee was my last avatar so I figure PC would be a good follow up.

Metalhead
10-02-2007, 12:39 PM
Favre has won a Superbowl, how many has Marino won? That's all that matters.

pa99fighter
10-02-2007, 04:06 PM
he ranks number 1 imo

Frasedog
10-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Where does Favre rank among the all-time great QBs?
ESPN.com

Updated: September 27, 2007
Comment
Email
Print
Brett Favre is proving he still is among the top quarterbacks in the game today, but is he one of the five best quarterbacks ever? We've assembled a panel of experts -- Jeffri Chadiha, Matt Mosley, Mike Sando and Len Pasquarelli -- to weigh in on Favre's place in history:

Chadiha: Favre's in my six-pack
As great as Brett Favre is, he's not one of the top five quarterbacks ever. He ranks a strong No. 6 on my list -- right behind Joe Montana, John Elway, Johnny Unitas, Dan Marino and Peyton Manning -- and there isn't much he can do to elevate himself, even though he's enjoying a renaissance in his 17th season. Montana, Elway and Unitas have more championships. Marino never had as much talent around him as Favre has had during his career. And we have to assume Manning will hold all the major NFL passing records before he retires.
That being said, Favre has enjoyed a brilliant run. He already has more wins than any quarterback in league history and is one touchdown pass away from sole ownership of the record for career scoring tosses. Favre also remains the only player to win three consecutive MVP awards (1995-97), while Green Bay's win in Super Bowl XXXI cements his status as a champion. In fact, the only complaint I have about Favre is the recklessness that led him to throw 38 touchdown passes and 47 interceptions over the previous two seasons. Aside from those struggles, he's been a quarterback for the ages.
-- Jeffri Chadiha

Mosley: Best in the clutch
It's pretty easy to build a case for Brett Favre as one of the top five quarterbacks of all time based on his numbers, but I'll leave that up to someone else. Favre belongs in that exclusive group because no one performed better in the clutch.
He had good receivers in Robert Brooks and Antonio Freeman, but not great ones. Favre can still will a team to victory, and that's why he remains one of the most compelling players in the game.

Joe Montana was brilliant in Bill Walsh's West Coast offense, but if there's a minute left on the clock and my team needs to go 80 yards for a score, give me Favre. I don't think any man has ever played the game with as much joy and passion as Favre.

You can poke holes in anyone's résumé, but he's stood the test of time. It's pretty remarkable that three current quarterbacks could be considered for the top five, and no, I'm waiting until after this Sunday's Rams game to add Tony Romo.
-- Matt Mosley

Sando: He goes on the Mount Rushmore of QBs
Brett Favre has the numbers to rank among the top four or five quarterbacks in NFL history, but his appeal goes so far beyond the stats. None of the great quarterbacks seemed to have so much fun playing the game. And none was tough enough or resilient enough to start as many games consecutively. That's such a rare combination. No doubt, Favre is an original.
Favre threw too many interceptions in some seasons, particularly recently. But his frailties were always part of what made him easy to root for. Favre never pretended to be perfect. Unlike a lot of quarterbacks in this era of West Coast offenses, he was never afraid to fail. He didn't play for passer ratings. Favre fired it in there, no matter how many shades of purple his head coach turned along the way. He made coaches and fans scream, "No, no, no, no & YES!"

Quite a few quarterbacks have put up incredible numbers and/or won championships. Favre did that, too, but he became an icon for the other things. He's up there with Unitas, Montana and Elway.
-- Mike Sando

Pasquarelli: No. 5 sounds about right
It's always hard to quantify quarterbacks because of the different eras in which they played, and the way the game has evolved. Could a quarterback such as Otto Graham or Sid Luckman have been successful in the modern era? It's one of those great bar-room debates. But in any discussion about the Mount Rushmore of NFL quarterbacks, Brett Favre certainly belongs in the debate.
I didn't always start my list with Johnny Unitas, but I do now, because, to me, he invented the position in the modern era of the game. And you've got to include Joe Montana, who I ranked No. 1 just three years ago. After that, as is almost always the case in assessing quarterbacks, the argument becomes subjective.

Favre clearly is in the top 10, probably on the fringe of the top five; in fact, I had him No. 5 in that 2004 ranking.Wherever he ranks, of this I'm certain: The folks in Canton can start working on the bust right now.
-- Len Pasquarelli

sandywh
10-02-2007, 11:43 PM

The real question is where is Brady in that Top 10

and it is kind of getting annoying that people love to discredit every Cowboys player cuz they were on a great team, face the facts people.. Emmitt Smith is Top 3 all-time, Aikman is Top 10.

On talent, Aikman does not deserve a Top 10. On statistics he certainly belongs. If this were a Top 15 list Aikman would be #11.

No matter what happens with Brady from this point on, he ends his career in the top 5. But because he's only have a few seasons in, he doesn't make it on the list. I know I put Manning on my list, but I also put him on it as if his career ended today. Brady is no where near done and could end up #1.

Jarico
10-03-2007, 10:19 AM
Favre has won a Superbowl, how many has Marino won? That's all that matters.
This is an absurd statement!!!! The question is not best team its best QB, and yes super bowls reflect a QB's ability to lead it is definetly NOT all that matters

CEVANS
10-03-2007, 11:41 AM
This is an absurd statement!!!! The question is not best team its best QB, and yes super bowls reflect a QB's ability to lead it is definetly NOT all that matters

yeah i hate that
we are going best QB and a superbolw is good but it does not make you one of the best QBs i pretty sure we could find a shit QB that has a super bolw ring.i'am a big manning fan and up until last year i had to hear this shit all the time.

brett is as good as his numbers say he is, hell of alot of TDs and a shit load of INTs.a couple superbolws in a long career so imo he is top ten for sure not top 5

Jarico
10-03-2007, 12:17 PM
... i pretty sure we could find a shit QB that has a super bolw ring....
Trent Dilfer = worst QB to ever win superbowl

He-Man
10-03-2007, 03:55 PM
I'd rather have Rich Gannon in his prime than Brett Favre.......

eazye76
10-03-2007, 04:03 PM
I'd rather have Rich Gannon in his prime than Brett Favre.......
I'd rather have Kurt Warner in his prime, but that doesn't mean he's anywhere close to the level of Brett.