PDA

View Full Version : What do you look for in supplements?

orion_damage
10-02-2007, 01:53 PM
My only real concern is what do you look for in Protein supplements for working out, meals, before bed. Also the same with Creatine, I'm not looking to fight in the UFC or something just simply shed some pounds and exercise pretty regularly again.

What do you recommend for Proteins and Creatine.

Clint
10-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Post workout you would want a whey protein Isolate or a Hydrolyzed Whey protein (more expensive) combined with some carbs.

For meal replacement/before bed a Whey/Casein blend or a milk proetin isolate would be prefferable.

For creatine just get straight 100% creatine monohydrate and put it in your whey/carbs mix.

Tick
10-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Wouldn't in a way Cretine be counteractive to shedding a few pounds? Or is the water gain you get while taking it worth gaining/maintaining the body weight for the muscle gain you will make, which in turn will make you look leaner? Plus once you are off of the cretine the weight will drop some because you are no longer carrying the extra water weight?

I have never taken cretine before so I am asking out of my own curiosity...

On a side note I read in FitnessRX (September 2007 edition) that Cretine boosts bone density. Also, it was either FitnessRX or Muscle and Fitness where it said it actually helps brain function... Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Clint
10-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Creatine would be counter productive if you were cutting to make a specific weight class but if you are just looking to lose bodyfat then creatine will help your performance, so you can train better/be less sore (and thereby burn more calories and lose more fat)

Yeah I've read before as well that creatine helps with brain fucntions, especially under stressfull situations.

Rufio
10-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Yah, creatine makes you feel a bit soft while you're on it but it's just water. You can take a bunch of potassium, drink lots of water, and lose the water weight in like a week. It doesn't hurt actual fat loss.

kaiz77
10-02-2007, 07:46 PM
I know there is mixed reviews about kre-alkalyn....but Ive had good results from it.... try physique brand at bb.com.......

all dry gains (no bloat) ....and good strength increase....worth a shot....its really cheap last time I got some....

and dymatize elite whey protein (choc. mint is the BEST) get a 10 lb bag...yer set.....
supplement with glutamine also.....increase recovery time (obviously a big boost for grappling/MMA)...increased gains

orion_damage
10-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Lookin through GNC and their products, wouldn't I get the desired amount of carbs from the protein drink or would I need more? Like I said I'm just tryin to slim up and get back in shape.

Clint
10-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Depends on the protein shake but generally you will need some more with the shake. I presonally reccoment gatorade but others reccomend to stick with lower GI carbs and use oats

Rufio
10-03-2007, 07:15 PM
I personally started using liquid free form aminos and grape juice post-workout. I live 30 minutes from the gym so it's difficult to get whey in time without spending money for a ready-made. I just bring the liquid aminos with me. They absorb better than whey from my reading.

Also, I've read some research indicating that BCAAs alone raise insulin levels and insulin mainly helps to repair skeletal muscle post-workout. You have to restore glycogen of course, but I've seen a lot of huge guys including pros who stick with lower carbs post-workout.

It's important to get back into an anabolic state fast after a workout, but personally I think it's a bit blown out of proportion by all the supplement companies. What you eat the rest of the day and early the day after you lift matters more than getting post-workout down to an exact science.

Donny77
10-03-2007, 07:39 PM
They have to be caring, sensitive and good in bed.. K sorry i had to do that... Anyways..............

Cre a tine (sp?) aint gonna help u to shed the pounds. I swear the best way to do it is to substitute greens for every junk food that u were going to eat.. Ie, gonna have fries have a salad. Gonna have a bag of chips have cucumber with pepper and vinegar. Gonna have sugare juice have water. As far as supplements get some kinda whey so you can keep strong.
This is what i do anyways cuz my fuking weight fluxates so oooo oooo much!!!

southsider
10-05-2007, 01:02 AM
go whey for sure
creatine's not necessary for weight loss

leejames1
11-07-2007, 04:57 AM
i was just wondering i got some whey powder i was wondering if you cook it in say oats it dosent cook any of the nutrition out of it does it?

Clint
11-07-2007, 07:25 AM
i was just wondering i got some whey powder i was wondering if you cook it in say oats it dosent cook any of the nutrition out of it does it?
It could break the proteins down, but your stomach does that anyways so it should be fine. I cook with protein powder all the time.

Noob
11-07-2007, 07:45 AM
It could break the proteins down, but your stomach does that anyways so it should be fine. I cook with protein powder all the time.

You cook with protien powder? How does that work? What do you use it in?

Clint
11-07-2007, 08:17 AM
You cook with protien powder? How does that work? What do you use it in?
I make kickass protein bars with:
Vanilla or bannana protein powder
bannanas
peanut butter
oats
bit of olive oil

I just mix off them up until they come out as a dough (I don't really measure I just add stuff until it is a good consistency) and then bake them at 350 for about 10 minutes.

Just whatever you do, don't bake them too long. They will turn into hockey pucks if overbaked.

leejames1
11-07-2007, 12:38 PM
thanks buddy at least now im not gonna get that feeling like "am i actually getting any nutrition out of this"

Noob
11-07-2007, 12:54 PM
I make kickass protein bars with:
Vanilla or bannana protein powder
bannanas
peanut butter
oats
bit of olive oil

I just mix off them up until they come out as a dough (I don't really measure I just add stuff until it is a good consistency) and then bake them at 350 for about 10 minutes.

Interesting. I might have to try that.

Just whatever you do, don't bake them too long. They will turn into hockey pucks if overbaked.

Lol, know from experience?