PDA

View Full Version : Danzig Blog - Week Three

Noob
10-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Mac Danzig's Ultimate Fighter Blog (Episode 3)

The MMA fighter gives a behind the scenes look at Spike TV's reality series 'The Ultimate Fighter 6'

By CARLOS ARIAS
The Orange County Register
Mac Danzig is one of 16 welterweight fighters competing for a UFC contract on the sixth season of Spike TV's reality series "The Ultimate Fighter."

Danzig has fought at 155 pounds for most of his career, capturing titles in King of the Cage, Gladiator Challenge and the IFC. He is stepping up to 170 pounds for the opportunity to fight in the TUF 6 competition and make it to the big show, the UFC.

UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra and former two-time UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes will be the coaches this season.
OCRegister.com readers will get to follow Danzig along for the ride as he trains, lives and fights with the other TUF 6 contestants. Danzig will have a weekly blog on ocregister.com. He will give his opinions, observations and a behind-the-scenes look at everything that's going on with the fighters in the

TUF 6 house.

TUF 6 airs on Wednesdays at 10 p.m. on Spike TV, and Danzig's blog will post immediately following each episode.

EPISODE 3

So, here we are with the third installment of TUF 6...

After the intro with the same excruciatingly bad theme song we've been subjected to for six seasons, (which includes the embarrassingly bad line: "bear witness to the fitness of the modern warrior") this episode starts off with some replays of Matt Arroyo's win over Dorian.We then segway into the Serra camp contemplating which fighter on their team was going to get picked for the next fight.During this scene we learn that Richie is actually coordinated enough to jump rope for at least 5 seconds at a time. This comes as a total surprise to me, seeing as the guy can't comb his purple hair properly, wear a hat like a normal human being, or speak a sentence without telling a story about some stripper he supposedly "banged."

The fights get picked and Hughes chose Billy to fight John Kolosci. Keep in mind, at this point, Hughes pretty much decided on his own who he wanted to fight when it was our turn to pick. Obviously Hughes thought it was a good matchup and everyone agreed, so nobody argued differently. Everyone felt it was a winnable fight for Billy Miles.

As soon as Billy got picked and started to cut weight for the weigh-ins, I noticed a change in him. Although his weakness is submissions, up until then, Billy had been this extremely strong wrestler that could muscle his way out of most all submission attempts, and could easily grind through every hard practice and out-wrestle everyone else on the team while doing it. Now that it was fight time, it seemed as though the pressure began wearing on him mentally. His shoulder was bothering him bad and he was giving up positions in practice that he normally wouldn't.Billy was probably my most trusted friend on the show from beginning to end and I wanted to help him out with it, but when he started draining himself to cut such a huge amount of weight, he was almost a different person. Make no mistake, each and every fighter on the show broke down mentally in their own way at some point during the six weeks.

Unfortunately for Billy, it was right before his fight.

Meanwhile, John Kolosci had some problems of his own with being sick, which can really wear on you when you have to make weight and fight on such short notice. Also, we finally get to see some of John's personality and as everyone can see, he is a good guy with a good head on his shoulders. Some people on our team started calling him "American Psycho" because he was this guy with a corporate desk job and the friendliest disposition, yet here he was on a fighting reality show so naturally, he must be a serial killer or something like that.

Regarding Hughes' speech about only having 2 or 3 fights left, this was just one of many "heart-to-heart" talks Matt and the coaches would have with us during the course of the show. Although our team had it's ups and downs, I still feel Hughes is a genuine person who cared about his team and he would often share personal info about his career and his home life to help motivate us and bring us closer as a team. That being said, I think fighters talk about retirement more than they follow through with it. For example, I have seriously considered leaving the sport at least 3 times in my career and I am just now getting to the point where I may be able to make a decent living doing it. This sport is extremely hard on all levels and every person who has dedicated themselves to it has contemplated quitting at one time or another. To be honest, even though he has had a long, storied career with many fights, I think we'll see Hughes alot more than 2 or 3 more times. Show him the money, and he'll be there, just like Randy, just like all of us.

Oh yeah, so they wheeled a TV in for a few hours so that we could watch the UFC.The whole team aspect is really weird and while Hughes would try to one-up the other team by bringing food and things like that, Serra's guys kept this whole attitude of "my coach is cooler that your coach" which is just stupid. This brought me back to grade school when kids would brag about how "cool" their gym teacher was.I just wanted out of the whole situation. I couldn't care less about Serra and Hughes' rivalry. Just give me my fights and send me home.

The french fries were horrible, but they were the only thing "Hooters" had that I could eat. Matt offered to have some real food brought in for me, but I told him not to bother. Just for the record, the fries made me sick and I felt like garbage all day.

I guess I could have just drank a gang load of cheap liquor like those guys from Serra's team did if I knew I was going to make myself sick.What you don't see is, while these guys were carrying on and making noise & being completely belligerent, I actually woke up from my sleep and asked them politely to take it outside and they immediately did, because at this point there was still a common respect we had for eachother.

So Joey finally leaves. Our team really had no idea this was going to happen until he was gone. All that stuff like the talk with Dana happened behind the scenes without our knowledge.You can see by looking at his eyes while Serra and Dana lectured him, that his mind was already made up. He wanted out and nothing was going to stop him. Kinda like an alcoholic. They say they aren't going to drink again, but they're thinking of that bottle of Patron while they're saying it.

I remember talking to Joey that morning before our team left for practice and he said something to me like,"Hey man, when this is all over, we'll be chillin' together." I really didn't understand that he was gonna take off. When we got back from practice that morning, we learned that Joey was gone. This didn't sit too well with me. It made me realize how negative the effects of being on the show were, and how being in the house was so bad it forced Joey to give up on any of his dreams of fighting for the UFC.It may sound stupid, but this caused me to break down a little bit and change the way I felt about being there.As you will see in future episodes, I was not the happiest of campers.

Weight cutting?I'm not even going to touch that exchange Coach Fiore and Billy had while "wrestling" with a 10-foot pole. You know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, on to the fight.Billy is a good fighter, but lacks experience. I feel that the coaches and I made a mistake by letting him warm up the way he did. After a short jump-rope and a few minutes of pads, he literally paced back and forth for 20 minutes and that was his warm-up.I think we all felt he had the fight in the bag, so nobody questioned it.
Once he got in there, it was obvious, he was a deer caught in the headlights. The pressure of knowing millions will be watching you can catch up, and that's exactly what happened to Billy.He froze up and did nothing, while John was still moving and thinking about technique. What could have been a very competitive fight turned into an easy win for John as he used his patented guillotine to finish. The team was pretty shocked and upset.Not necessarily at Billy himself, but at the circumstance. This was the beginning of some super-negative stuff on out team as you'll see.
Till next time... take care and watch hard.

Wasn't really sure what he was talking about with the comments about the conversation Fiore and Billy had, but it found it interesting nonetheless.

Clint
10-04-2007, 06:15 PM
When he was cutting weight and wrestling with Fiore in the sauna suit, Billy said something like I'm too tired to wrestle coach and Fiore responded with something like we're not wrestling were just doing this and kinda layed his head down on Billy back (I think he was wearing out himself). It wasn't any big deal but it looked gayer than hell.

NixHex
10-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Billy told Fiore he was too tired to wrestle, and Fiore said something like we're not wrestling we're just.... laying here together. Or something along those lines.

Somebody is teaching Mac the benefits of dropping teasers, now I want to see how Mac changes after this fight, and the negativity in Hughes' camp.

halozero
10-04-2007, 06:24 PM
After the intro with the same excruciatingly bad theme song we've been subjected to for six seasons, (which includes the embarrassingly bad line: "bear witness to the fitness of the modern warrior")

yeah--that song totally sucks

During this scene we learn that Richie is actually coordinated enough to jump rope for at least 5 seconds at a time. This comes as a total surprise to me, seeing as the guy can't comb his purple hair properly, wear a hat like a normal human being, or speak a sentence without telling a story about some stripper he supposedly "banged."

:lmfao:

I couldn't care less about Serra and Hughes' rivalry. Just give me my fights and send me home.

a great attitude--but it doesn't make for exiting tv... not that i care. this is the only reality tv i watch.

The french fries were horrible, but they were the only thing "Hooters" had that I could eat. Matt offered to have some real food brought in for me, but I told him not to bother. Just for the record, the fries made me sick and I felt like garbage all day.

this actually bothers me quite a bit. first i'ts really awesome hughes made the offer--this show is making me respect him again, considering serra is kind of acting like a bitch. but mac should have known better--he got sick because hooters, like most food places cook all their stuff in the same fry vats. so he is the one at fault.

I actually woke up from my sleep and asked them politely to take it outside and they immediately did, because at this point there was still a common respect we had for eachother.

wow--theyre all afraid of him!!:laughing4:

that was a joke.

thanks`for the post, rep'd

Tick
10-05-2007, 03:13 PM
this actually bothers me quite a bit. first i'ts really awesome hughes made the offer--this show is making me respect him again, considering serra is kind of acting like a bitch. but mac should have known better--he got sick because hooters, like most food places cook all their stuff in the same fry vats. so he is the one at fault.

As much as the food cooked in the same vats, it is also just the greese in general. I doubt he eats much fried food at all. I don't and I no if I have fried chicken or anything like that I usually feel sick. The 2 times a year I hit up burgerking I regret it and remember why I don't go there to eat.

On the post, I am liking Danzig more and more. He seems like a class act, and that he actualyl cares about his carear. I really want to see him woop some more ass later in the show (in the cage though not in teh house)

halozero
10-05-2007, 04:47 PM
yeah you're definately right about the grease--i never eat that shit anymore... even now that a lot of places use that zero trans fat oil...

danzig is definately a class act--rep'd

Jellypig
10-05-2007, 05:02 PM
As much as the food cooked in the same vats, it is also just the greese in general. I doubt he eats much fried food at all. I don't and I no if I have fried chicken or anything like that I usually feel sick. The 2 times a year I hit up burgerking I regret it and remember why I don't go there to eat.

On the post, I am liking Danzig more and more. He seems like a class act, and that he actualyl cares about his carear. I really want to see him woop some more ass later in the show (in the cage though not in teh house)Yeah. The simple fact that he bears the name "Danzig" as a last name made me like him from the very beginning. I personally like the guy too with this blog showing this guy has balls. Says what needs to be said without beating around the bush and great fighting skills to back himself up in the octagon. I loved how he was trashing on that theme song - hate it too. Shittiest song ever. And the hooter fries.. rofl.

jokerthief
10-05-2007, 06:34 PM
What you don't see is, while these guys were carrying on and making noise & being completely belligerent, I actually woke up from my sleep and asked them politely to take it outside and they immediately did, because at this point there was still a common respect we had for each other.

This is some serious foreshadowing. I expect all hell is about to break loose in the house.

Clint
10-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Yeah I noticed that line as well. "At this point there was still" implies that there is no longer that respect.

Don't forget there is also a fight in the house on the show still, judging from the preview clips for the season.

thumper
10-05-2007, 07:22 PM
I've got a feeling after watching the teasers it's going to be a lot more than just 'a fight' I think it's going to be a huge deal that goes longer than just one confrontation.

This season is making me more interested than the last couple.

OMNIpotus
10-06-2007, 01:59 AM

Makes me think Hughes is a little special. Like there was no other place Hughes could have gone to get food, then thought fries were ok. They have potatoes in 'em.