PDA

View Full Version : Hughes / Serra blog week 3

Tick
10-05-2007, 03:16 PM
I will start with the hughes blog...

10/03/2007
Matt Hughes' Ultimate Fighter Blog - Week 3By Matt Hughes

To be honest,

I was somewhat out of the loop with the whole Joe Scarola incident while it was going on. All that happened at Matt Serra’s practice or at the house, and I’m not a part of either one of those, so I only knew what my guys informed me about. Never did I ask any questions about Joey and I really didn’t care. I was concerned with my team.

When it comes to him choosing to leave the show, you’ve got to think that it’s somewhat bad coaching. Do I think one of my guys would have left? I don’t think they would have. Matt Serra’s been his coach for years, so you’ve got to think that came from the gym back in New York or that came from the coaching there on the reality show. So I’ve gotta say that it’s probably Matt Serra’s fault he left. And if it were one of my guys that left, I would definitely say it was my fault.

This week I sat the team down at practice and I wanted to let my guys know that we were all on this ship together. I told them ‘You guys are going through a hard time, you miss your family, your friends, your TV, your cell phone, and I’m in the same ship. I’m away from my family, but the light at the end of the road is, when you’re old and retired, you can look back on this and be proud.’ I wanted to let those guys know that.

As for my own retirement, I really don’t have any idea when that’s going to be. In a perfect world, I would be retired right now, living with my family, and staying in my hometown the rest of my life. And that’s how I think everybody would be, because in a perfect world, nobody would go to work anymore. But in reality, that’s not the way it is, so I will fight as long as I am able and as long as I still have that competitive side of me.

Both teams got together in the house on this episode to watch UFC 72 on pay-per-view from Belfast and it was an interesting time. I was surprised that Matt Serra didn’t bring something for his guys. I wanted my guys to get away from the same old thing, and throughout the whole show, I wanted to break it up so it didn’t feel like they were stuck on this reality show with the same old thing over and over. So that’s why I brought in some food and let them kinda relax and get their minds off their daily routine for a little while.

Matt Serra’s negative comments about me continued this week, but it really doesn’t bother me. It just makes me think that he’s got some type of an insecurity issue and it seems like he’s really trying to find things to nitpick at. So the more comments he makes about me, the more I smile.

This week’s fight saw John Kolosci submit our fighter, Billy Miles, in the first round, and I was very shocked by the result. Any fight I put together, I think I’m gonna win with no doubt. I just think Billy got a little bit of stage fright. He really didn’t do much of anything out there, he just got nervous. And this is one of those things that will make you nervous. Fighting for the first time in the UFC, you’ve got the cameras rolling, and Dana White, the UFC and the production people are all there, so there’s a lot to think about before you step into the Octagon.

Moving forward into next week, I’ve got to work with the guys mentally because I’ve just seen Billy go out there and lose because I think he wasn’t mentally focused. But I think physically, they’re right where they need to be.

For more information on Matt Hughes, visit www.matt-hughes.com

Linky linky (http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=8114) http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=8114

I respect Matt Hughes but I don't think it was coaching that made Joey leave. Joey was mentally weak it seemed and just didnt have the drive to be there.

Tick
10-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Serra's blog...

The Ultimate Fighter: Season 6, Episode 3
By Matt Serra
UFC welterweight champion

Matt Arroyo got us on the winning side of things with an impressive victory, and we were looking to build off that. But before we get to that…more drama with Joey (Joey Drama?).

Before I get to the latest incident(s), let me give you some background on how Joe got on the show. He wanted to be on ever since Luke was on Season 2, but I had my doubts about his ability to take it in the house. He was persistent in asking, so in time, we considered it, and had our sports psychologist, Dr. Sherry Wulcan, talk to him for an evaluation. In her professional opinion, she didn’t think he could make it in the house for six weeks, and her recommendation was not to send him. I respected her opinion, and wasn’t planning on sending him to Las Vegas for the show. Still, he persisted, and, eventually Ray Longo persuaded me to reconsider saying “Look, let him find out for himself. He’s an adult, and if he can’t hack it, he’ll live with those consequences.” I eventually gave him my seal of approval and he got a tryout for the show, but I made it clear to him from the get go, that if he made it through auditions and onto the show, he would get no special treatment from me at all. Our friendship could not get in the way of my responsibilities as a coach out there. He was just another member of Team Serra once teams were selected.

Enter that day’s practice…Joey was asking for a day off because he wasn’t sleeping well. Given what Dr. Wulcan had said, I guess we weren’t surprised that he was quitting on us, but I was definitely surprised by the level of selfishness on display. You lost, get over it, I’m over it too, now do your best to help the guys that are still in this competition, and who knows, if someone gets hurt, maybe you get another shot. That was what you agreed to coming into this experience, and if, for no other reason than for honoring that commitment, make yourself an asset to this team. He wasn’t being a team player, and that’s not my style, and it hurt to see a friend of mine act that way. More on Joey later…

As far as fight selection went, I was thrilled with Hughes’ selection. John said he wanted to fight Billy early on, and I think we’d have picked that one had we been making the matchup. Billy’s a bigger and stronger guy, and probably a better wrestler, but I thought John’s experience and attitude would win out. And let me know tell you, there are not a whole lot of guys easier to root for than John Kolosci; he has one of the best attitudes I have ever come across among fighters. A very down to earth, smart and nice guy, his personality was as much an asset to our team as his fighting ability.

Regarding the guys in the house making the most of their time there, for the first time in my life, I completely agree with Matt Hughes. It’s a six week training camp with some of the best coaches in the world, and you’re going to be a better fighter if you dedicate yourself to training.

Some people have questioned my thoughts on Hughes in comments on the blog here, and I must say, it’s the little things that annoy me about him. For example, I would not have dealt with his guys the way he handled my guys coming into the training center early. Instead of saying “can you guys come back in 5 minutes?” he pointed towards the door, back to them, and said “no, go out”. I don’t know, maybe I am overreacting, but that is not how I deal with people. And that whole deal about the chicken wings, seemed like he was fishing for compliments. Given that the guys in the house can order whatever food they want, and Richie Hightower had said that he might even cook for our team, I didn’t even think to bring anything with me. So sue me. I know that if I did I wouldn’t be drawing attention to the fact that I brought food. It’s kind of an empty gesture if you seek credit for it.

After the fight, guys got a little bit crazy in the house. I’ve got no problem with guys cutting loose, but that stuff should wait until after you fight. Rudeboy aka Troy was struggling a little bit the next day at practice, and I told him to take it easy and stay focused until his name was called to square off in the Octagon. He agreed with me, and appreciated the input.

Back to Joey…for the last time I promise, as he decided that he wanted to leave. It’s a pattern with him, he has the tools to do things, and quits on himself when it isn’t fun anymore or if any kind of resistance stands in his way. Here he was, on television no less, quitting on himself again. He’s a friend of mine, and I really wanted him to see this through. I also made it clear to him that quitting here would have serious repercussions when the show was done taping – I couldn’t have him teaching at my schools, and that would have a ripple effect on our relationship as friends. I thought, when I laid that out, maybe he’d see my side of things. This guy was the best man at my wedding! In spite of all that, he brushed off my advice.

Dana came in to talk some sense into him, and didn’t blow up and give him some loud speech about wanting to be a fighter. He was cool about it, he didn’t berate him, but tried to explain to him just how much of an opportunity he was throwing away, and how much he’d regret it in time. Joey wasn’t hearing that either. He had already made up his mind, and that was that. Off the show, out of the UFC, probably forever…he’s going to have to live with that for the rest of his life. And, true to my word, he’s not teaching at my schools anymore.

After bending over backwards to convince him to stay, Joey finally leaving was a relief. I wasn’t stressed about it anymore, and now I could focus on the seven guys who wanted to be there. The first of the remaining guys I had to focus on was John, who was coming down with something. John’s not one to mention something unless it’s a real problem, so I was definitely nervous when I saw him in the locker room – coming down with the flu could sap some of his energy if the fight went more than one round. Luckily, that proved to not be an issue. Going into the fight, the plan was to keep it on his feet and pick him apart, and wait for Billy to make a mistake before taking the fight to the ground. Jon improvised, changed it up on the fly, and took him down unexpectedly, and while they were down there, he sank the guillotine in. As you could see back in the locker room, I was very proud and happy for John. It was a well deserved victory for a great guy.

That’s two straight for Team Serra, and we’re looking to make it an official winning streak come next Wednesday night.

Until then…

Serra's blog can be found at...
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/specialevent/ultimate_fighter/blog/2007/10/the_ultimate_fighter_season_6_2.html

Sorry for the double post, it just made more sence for me to do it this way.

Serra expalins a little more than Hughes does his thoughts and what was going on. It is interesting to see all the things that lead up to Joey being on the Show and tha the BEGGED to get onto it. I am sorry, if I beg, and dear i say plead to do something I am going to see it through. This pretty much sums him (Joey) as a complete and utter failure. I wonder if his parents have a ton of money where he has never had a worry in his life. Did anyone else catch that Joey didn't complete highschool? In this day and age it isnt that hard to complete. The ones that I know that didnt finish it either had a really fucked up home life or was constantly sick. My one buddy was sick alot but he still had his GED before our senior year was up.

jkilla374
10-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Both blogs are good.

It is now official: Serra is in Hughes' head. It is pretty nuts that Hughes blamed Joey leaving on Serra's coaching ability.

Does anyone agree with Hughes that Serra's bad coaching is what got Joey to leave?

jrube
10-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Both blogs are good.

It is now official: Serra is in Hughes' head. It is pretty nuts that Hughes blamed Joey leaving on Serra's coaching ability.

Does anyone agree with Hughes that Serra's bad coaching is what got Joey to leave?

I think it is a difference of opinion... Look what Hughes says at the end... If it were him, he would blame himself if one of my guys left, and he would feel like he didn't coach him correctly.

So no i personally think Joey if an Ass Clown Supreme with gay toppings.... and would leave regardless.

Noob
10-05-2007, 10:31 PM
Both blogs are good.

I actually thought it might be the other way around. I think it might be Hughes in Serra's head.

For the record I think Joey is a bitch. Through and through. Should never have been on the show. But Serra could have handled that a lot better. It was less than professional, and depending on the team chemistry could set a bad tone for the team as a whole.

jkilla374
10-05-2007, 11:11 PM
I actually thought it might be the other way around. I think it might be Hughes in Serra's head.

I'm a Serra fan, but it does seem like Hughes is in Serra's head. I also think the recent episodes show that now Serra is in Hughes' head as well.

So they are both in each others' heads!

chungt79
10-05-2007, 11:52 PM
Serra is definitely in Hughes head. Hughes cant finish a sentence without taking a shot at Serra while Serra is going about his business. i think hughes is trying to create some sort positive image about himself. I think he is a self righteous punk. I was beginning to get annoyed how Serra talking shit all the time but I kinda understand it now.

Palma
10-06-2007, 01:36 AM

For the record I think Joey is a bitch. Through and through. Should never have been on the show. But Serra could have handled that a lot better. It was less than professional, and depending on the team chemistry could set a bad tone for the team as a whole.

I agree. He shouldn't have takled shit to the team calling him names and then turn around and not be the same way to Joey when they were face to face.

I'm sure Joey displayes tendecies like this on a regular basis. I can't imagine that guy being a black belt and teaching classes. Anyways, I'm sure Serra had an inclination Joey could be like this and it is just as much his fault as Joey's for pulling strings to get him on the show.

OMNIpotus
10-06-2007, 01:56 AM
Yeah, Serra is in Matt's head now. I honestly didn't think it would happen, and I'm a Serra fan.

Just some quick ruminations on that. Hughes keeps bringin up the food. Nobody cares. It was fried food, when one of your guys is a vegan, before a fight, when the guy fighting was getting mollested by Fiore on the mat trying to lose weight. Then he's all like "Oooh, look at me, I'm better than Serra." Honestly?

Then blaming Joey on Serra? Seriously? I mean, I do kind of see how you may THINK that, but he HAS to be watching the episodes doesn't he? Maybe not... it's not the biggest deal.

Lastly I just wanted to comment on Hughes sayin that his guys are missing their phones and family and all that and Hughes felt the same way. In that instance he really didn't. He was put up at what? The Hardrock Hotel or whatever? I'm sure he was given a per diem, use of his cell, AND he brought his family down halfway through to spend time with them.

I swear I am disliking Matt more and more. I used to be a fan. I bought my wife an autographed shirt off his site. Seriously... he's killin me here.