PDA

View Full Version : Any boxing tips?

Pythonfighter14
10-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Hi. Well recently my friends and i got together to Box, obviously with standard gloves. Ive boxed before in a gym so I knew what i was doing but at the same time Im 30 lbs smaller than my smallest friend! On top of that i have very short arms. Fortunately for me my friends, despite being athletes, had no idea wtf they were doing so I pretty much had my way with them. Unfortunately my friends are now learnong from watching me and I fear soon i'll have lost my only advantage (Knowing wtf im doing!)

The point pretty much is does anyone have any good tips for fighting against far bigger opponents in boxing, or MMA? ( more so in boxing because there i cannot employ my wrestling my biggest stregnth.)

THX

Clint
10-06-2007, 05:17 PM
If they have much of a height advantage stay in close and utilize hooks and uppcuts, lankier guys have trouble in close and get most of their power in straight shots.

ChuckBooty
10-06-2007, 10:09 PM
I have the same problem man...it's rough. All I can say is circle, circle, circle...get in "bam, bam" get out. You better have some cardio!!LOL!

ChuckBooty
10-06-2007, 10:13 PM
...also, sometimes I throw a pretty wild, arching, over-hand right to help me get inside. The trick is to throw it REALLY wide, coming over your own head and connecting to their head with the "top" part of your fist (where your thumb and pointer finger are clasped). If you land it right you'll really hurt them, and if they block it, their hands are now up high and you can get some quick body-shots in.

Pythonfighter14
10-07-2007, 10:29 PM
I have the same problem man...it's rough. All I can say is circle, circle, circle...get in "bam, bam" get out. You better have some cardio!!LOL!

I run about 8 miles every 2 days so yeah I have very good cardio! I have been fighting mostly inside but I prefer crosses and jabs to hooks and uppercuts. I'm prolly going to start training hooks more because my friends are beginning to learn how to block jabs and crosses.

Afro
10-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Learn to be an inside puncher

Practice heavy on your uppercuts cuz theyll be your best friend, maybe study the pickaboo style of defense (Tyson), work on your hand speed, footwork, short hooks, uppercuts, power punches.. when you got short arms you have to make up for your lack of reach with power. Smaller fighters have to be powerful and have deceptive speed.

Jump a ton of rope, utilize the uppercut bag, throw your hooks and uppercuts with weights in your hand, resitance imo helps speed a lot I mean when you get use to something heavy.. like punching with weights in your hand, once you put those weights down your hands feel like as a feather.. it feels good, and you feel faster.

but if I had short hands, id negate all that talk about keeping opponents at the end of your punches, utilizing your jab, etc etc..

Noob
10-09-2007, 03:50 AM
Keep your hands up.

Sounds stupid, but it solves a lot of problems.

Metalhead
10-09-2007, 06:17 PM
The first rule of fight club...

CEVANS
10-10-2007, 07:51 PM
keeps hands high use jabs to get in close and when inside throw hard and fast and get the hell out.maKe sure to keep hands up when getting out..

keep repeating untill you get them tired and start picking your spots

Pythonfighter14
10-13-2007, 03:14 AM
hooks and uppercuts with weights in your hand,

I do this alot! It's one of the main parts of my training. I'm mostly a jab and cross guy but ive been practicing uppercutrs and hooks as I really am beginning to need them. Also I am a very "tight" boxer as in I keep my hands up all the time and don't move them at all. people say i look like i'm scared to get hit I keep my hands up so much!

On another note thx for all the advice, even the obvious tip or two:grinsmile1: !

kokaine
11-18-2007, 07:55 AM
size em up with jabs... the bigger opponents that is... circle around them ... but if they got reach on you ... then learn to counter WELL ... that's what im hitting the gym for ... try finding bigger sparring partners with mediocre boxing skills .... because then you will learn how to get in and out efficiently ...

kokaine
11-18-2007, 07:58 AM
also youtube ross boxing or rosstraining ..... this guy is a fucking beast