PDA

View Full Version : 'Superfoods' Everyone Needs

halozero
10-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Experts say dozens of easy-to-find 'superfoods' can help ward off heart disease, cancer, cholesterol, and more.

By Susan Seliger
WebMD Feature
Reviewed by Charlotte Grayson Mathis, MD

Imagine a superfood -- not a drug -- powerful enough to help you lower your cholesterol, reduce your risk of heart disease and cancer, and, for an added bonus, put you in a better mood. Did we mention that there are no side effects? You’d surely stock up on a lifetime supply. Guess what? These life-altering superfoods are available right now in your local supermarket.

“The effect that diet can have on how you feel today and in the future is astounding,” says nutritionist Elizabeth Somer, author of Nutrition for aHealthy Pregnancy, Food & Mood, and The Essential Guide to Vitamins and Minerals.

“Even people who are healthy can make a few tweaks and the impact will be amazing,” Somer says. “I’d say that 50% to 70% of suffering could be eliminated by what people eat and how they move: heart disease, diabetes, cancer, hypertension can all be impacted.”

You don’t need specific foods for specific ailments. A healthy diet incorporating a variety of the following superfoods will help you maintain your weight, fight disease, and live longer. One thing they all have in common: “Every superfood is going to be a ‘real’ (unprocessed) food,” Somer points out. “You don’t find fortified potato chips in the superfood category.”
Top Superfoods Offering Super Health Protection

* Beans
* Blueberries
* Broccoli
* Oats
* Oranges
* Pumpkin
* Salmon
* Soy
* Spinach
* Tea (green or black)
* Tomatoes
* Turkey
* Walnuts
* Yogurt

Blueberries -- Antioxidant Superfood

Packed with antioxidants and phytoflavinoids, these berries are also high in potassium and vitamin C, making them the top choice of doctors and nutritionists. Not only can they lower your risk of heart disease and cancer, they are also anti-inflammatory.

“Inflammation is a key driver of all chronic diseases, so blueberries have a host of benefits,” says Ann Kulze, MD, of Charleston, S.C., author of Dr. Ann’s 10-Step Diet, A Simple Plan for Permanent Weight Loss & Lifelong Vitality. When selecting berries, note that the darker they are, the more anti-oxidants they have. “I tell everyone to have a serving (about 1/2 cup) every day,” Dr. Kulze says. “Frozen are just as good as fresh.” Be sure to include lots of other fruits and vegetables in your diet as well. Remember too that, in general, the more color they have, the more antioxidants.

they also contain a natural form of insulin

Omega 3-Rich Fish -- Superfoods for the Heart, Joints, and Memory

“We know that the omega 3s you get in fish lower heart disease risk, help arthritis, and may possibly help with memory loss and Alzheimer’s,” Somer says. “There is some evidence to show that it reduces depression as well.”

Omega-3s are most prevalent in fatty, cold-water fish: Look for wild (not farmed) salmon, herring, sardines, and mackerel. Aim for two-to-three servings a week. Other forms of omega 3s are available in fortified eggs, flax seed, and walnuts. These superfoods have the added benefit of being high in monounsaturated fats, which can lower cholesterol.

Soy -- Superfood to Lower Cholesterol

A study reported in The Journal of the American Medical Association (2003) showed that a diet of soy fiber, protein from oats and barley, almonds, and margarine from plant sterols lowered cholesterol as much as statins, the most widely prescribed cholesterol medicine. “Look for tofu, soy milk, or edamame -- not soy powder,” says Somer. In other words, soy sauce won’t do the trick. One caveat: If you have a family history of breast cancer it is not recommended that you eat extra soy.

there are other studies that suggest soy isn't as healthy as thought. and it does contain a natural form of estrogen. for more information go to http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/soy.htm

Fiber -- Superfood Aids Weight Loss and Checks Cholesterol

A diet high in fiber will help you maintain healthy cholesterol and blood sugar levels. As a bonus, because fiber helps you feel full longer, it’s a great tool in weight management. Whole grains, beans, fruit, and vegetables are all good sources. Try throwing some beans in your salad, recommends Kulze. “Fresh, frozen, or dried are the best. You can use canned, but they tend to be higher in sodium,” Kulze warns.

Tea -- Superfood for Lowering Cholesterol and Inhibiting Cancer

“The overall antioxidant power of black tea is the same as green tea,” says Kulze, “but green tea does have ECGC, a powerful antioxidant that we really do think is quite special.” A recent Japanese study on green tea found that men who drank green tea regularly had lower cholesterol than those who didn’t. Researchers in Spain and the United Kingdom have also shown that ECGC can inhibit the growth of cancer cells. For a double health whammy, replace sugary sodas with tea.

Calcium

OK, OK, you know the drill: Calcium helps build strong bones and prevents osteoporosis. Look for it in dairy products or supplements. Added bonus: Some studies show that calcium helps with weight loss. Here are the calcium levels recommended for adults by the USDA:

* Age 9 to 18 -- 1,300 mg
* Age 19 to 50 -- 1,000 mg
* Age 51 and over -- 1,200 mg

And Finally, the Sweetest Superfood Yet ... Dark Chocolate

New research has shown that dark chocolate is packed with antioxidants and can lower blood pressure. Kulze recommends that you look for chocolate with 60% or higher cocoa content; the darker, the better. In addition, the darker it is, the lower the fat and sugar content. Now that’s our kind of health food!

source (http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/superfoods-everyone-needs?page=1)

Steel
10-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Nice article..thanks for sharing. Blueberries rock!

HamNEggs116
10-07-2007, 06:21 PM
nice read. thanks.

Rufio
10-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Nice, but most foods listed as "high" in vitamins and minerals often have around 15% of the daily recommended value per serving. More active people may want severeal times the daily recommended value. These are good foods, but you really need a multi-vitamin too.

halozero
10-07-2007, 08:23 PM
... More active people may want severeal times the daily recommended value. These are good foods, but you really need a multi-vitamin too.

oh, most certainly, i jack up on protein before a workout--but you can easily do that without supplements. almonds, walnuts, fish, cheese, eggs, {whites if you have high cholesterol} hemp seeds...

those in the nursing industry call centrum "bedpan bullets" because your body can't get all the nutrients out of them that they advertise--the delivery medium doesn't work {gelatin and other synthetic binding agents} powders are alright, but again you are better off with natural base ingredients {soy or any bean}

antioxidants from fresh fruit and tea combined with omega 3's really seems to be the "magic" combination--you really have to look at your body as a whole system, working together.

this is just my personal experience, but i went from 125 pounds average to about 145 in the last 6 months or so, all of it muscle. i haven't felt this good in years.

Rufio
10-07-2007, 09:12 PM
oh, most certainly, i jack up on protein before a workout--but you can easily do that without supplements. almonds, walnuts, fish, cheese, eggs, {whites if you have high cholesterol} hemp seeds...

Fish, cottage cheese, and eggs are pretty good for protein. I'm not sure about nuts. What I've always read is that aside from soy, non-aminal product proteins are generally not "complete," as in they only contain a significant amount of some of the essential amino acids rather than all. I eat walnuts for the healthy fats when I'm trying to put on muscle though.

those in the nursing industry call centrum "bedpan bullets" because your body can't get all the nutrients out of them that they advertise--the delivery medium doesn't work {gelatin and other synthetic binding agents} powders are alright, but again you are better off with natural base ingredients {soy or any bean}

Well yah bioavailability is a problem even with whole foods, especially since they no longer have the kind of nutrients they once did due to modern farming methods. That's why many people prefer free-form amino acids over protein powders. I take a multi a few times daily often with protein bars and shakes containing some vitamins and minerals, plus C and B complex pills. I also aim for a clean diet of course.

Also of note is that people who are type A blood tend to absorb nutrients better than others. If you're type A, you can probably get all you need from a clean diet. Otherwise I'd add some vitamin/mineral supplements to the mix.

antioxidants from fresh fruit and tea combined with omega 3's really seems to be the "magic" combination--you really have to look at your body as a whole system, working together.

Yeah that's true. You also need to have enough omega-6 and 9's too. Getting in some CLA, fiber, and adequate protein are all pretty important.

this is just my personal experience, but i went from 125 pounds average to about 145 in the last 6 months or so, all of it muscle. i haven't felt this good in years.

Have you started lifting more? Not to doubt you, but 20 lbs of muscle in a year is pushing the genetic limit for a natural athlete, although people who just started lifting weights or doing some kind of strength training tend to have higher gains the first year or so.

Just FYI, for every 10 lbs of muscle you gain, there's an extra 4 lbs of nitrogen. You may be retaining a bit more water weight now or you may've put on a few pounds of fat, but not enough to recognize. I'm not doubting that you look and feel as solid as before, but I really doubt that all of it is muscle if you're a natural athlete.

deeznizzies
10-08-2007, 04:38 PM
i'm the type who truly believes you are what you eat.

unfortunately my work only allows us a 30 minute lunch so its kinda hard to always eat as heatlhy as you'd like... i think because of that and other reasons, you see a lot of big people where i work. i imagine most people encounter that nowadays.

Clint
10-08-2007, 04:59 PM
i'm the type who truly believes you are what you eat.

unfortunately my work only allows us a 30 minute lunch so its kinda hard to always eat as heatlhy as you'd like... i think because of that and other reasons, you see a lot of big people where i work. i imagine most people encounter that nowadays.

A 30 minute lunch is plenty of time if you plan correctly. That is the key you have to have a specific plan and bring that food with you to eat. I see alot of big people at work that are that way because they eat like shit.

Generally anymore I will make a plan for what I will be eating for each meal of the week (usually its all the same basic stuff) then on Sunday I go to the market and buy all of that stuff (and usually buy whatever cut of beef is on sale to throw in the crock pot for lunch for the week) and then I go ahead and cook anything that I can cook or otherwise prepare ahead of time.

It's also a good idea to keep some healthy snacks around in your desk for when your hunger and didn't bring enough food. Right now my bottom desk drawer has green tea, a top ramen lunch (it's not healthy but I keep it around incase I get to work and forgot my lunch), protein powder, some pouches of tuna, and some walnuts.

louiedawg
10-28-2007, 12:14 PM
Please take soy off this list. You can get plenty of protein from whole foods!! If you really must use a protein supplement then go with whey. Tastes better and has a higher bio value. Check out the dream protein at http://www.firstshake.com/content.asp?node=16 for a great natural protein with a very small amount of preservatives. Jay Robb also makes a high quality whey or egg protein..... http://www.JayRobb.com.

For more info on the truth about soy check out the websites below. Even if you don't agree why even take the chance?? There's not really any bad info on whey, but there's a ton of bad info on soy.

http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/index.htm