PDA

View Full Version : General Training Questions (Have a Quick Question? Post It Here).

Noob
10-09-2007, 01:08 AM
Here you go guys. Any general newb questions go here. If this gets popular enough it will be stickied. Enjoy.

ufobydeath
10-09-2007, 01:10 AM
:lurker:

rafesparza
10-09-2007, 01:20 AM
Here you go guys. Any general newb questions go here. If this gets popular enough it will be stickied. Enjoy.

Thanks for the post Noob. As usual, you are a boss.

Just throwin it out there: I played sports for 11 years and over the past several years I have been in and out of various forms of exercise. Recently, I decided to drop some weight and learn some of the fundamentals of MMA.

Don't plan to be a fighter (no delusions here), but I have been looking for a type of training regime that would push me further than I've ever gone before. Figure this one works best because I am mostly in competition with myself.

But before I even seriously consider seeking out MMA training, I just wanted to get a feel if anyone had any tips for exercise, drills, work outs, etc. that could help a beginner get a feel for the type of training to expect.

This field is completely new to me, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks all.

blackfox
10-09-2007, 02:06 AM
My guide to becoming a fighter.

Cardio, Cardio, Cardio, Cardio, Cardio.

Ok got that? Now do that about 10,000 times a week and then learn some form of grappling *coughBJJcough*, learn how to box, get some thai boxing in. Lift, lift, lift lift. Find a weight you are comfortable at. Watch other people fight, alot. Get punched in the face whenever possiable just to get used to it (even though you're not gonna fight you will probley catch one while sparring). Do A LOT of streatching. Learn to listen and unlearn what you were taught while playing sports. Get submitted 100,000 times, and wait for that perfect shot to choke someone the fuck out.

Oh yeah did I mention cardio.

then you can discount my post as bullshit and listen to someone on here who actully has had a fight or two :)

I've just started myself.

rafesparza
10-09-2007, 02:06 AM
I'm a night owl, so I'm not really sure. I have class till 8 PM on MT and my work out partner doesn't get out until evenings. I figure for the first month, it's just a matter of getting back into the swing of things.

I dig the question... but I always read that fighters need to adapt to a schedule of early mornings (possibly to help digest and rest?)

So I have no clue.

After the first month, I personally am looking to adapt to vary the work out times for range.

blackfox
10-09-2007, 02:09 AM
don't vary too much in my experience it wacks your body all out, again this may just be me though.

rafesparza
10-09-2007, 02:11 AM
Cardio, Cardio, Cardio, Cardio, Cardio.

Ok got that?

Yes sir.

Now do that about 10,000 times a week and then learn some form of grappling, learn how to box, get some thai boxing in. Lift, lift, lift lift. Find a weight you are comfortable at.

Got it. For the first month (considering my limited resources, I am concentrating on grappling and cardio. i'm talking a few of my friends who are blackbelts to step me through some of the processes).

Watch other people fight, alot. Get punched in the face whenever possiable just to get used to it (even though you're not gonna fight you will probley catch one while sparring).

Yep. I'm figuring that's on the to do list.

I've just started myself.

What made you start? How was the transition? Had you been keeping up with sports during the time? Problems? Etc.

Thanks dude, that was a baller post.

Noob
10-09-2007, 02:11 AM
But before I even seriously consider seeking out MMA training, I just wanted to get a feel if anyone had any tips for exercise, drills, work outs, etc. that could help a beginner get a feel for the type of training to expect.

This field is completely new to me, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks all.

My complete honest opinion would be to join a gym. There is absolutely no substitute for an academy. No matter what you can put together at your house or in your backyard, it's just not going to be the same.

That being said, if you absolutely cannot get to a gym for whatever reason, my recommendations:

Circuit training - Weights, resistance exercises, body weight exercises, interval training. Whatever mix you need, as long as your heart rate stays up the entire time.

Kettlebells - Good weight-oriented workout that can be very easily setup to mimic MMA and wrestling/grappling movements and muscle groups.

Heavy Bag, Jump Rope, Pushups, Situps - All of the staple boxing exercises. They haven't been done forever without reason. They work, and you can never go wrong adding a few of these to your workout.

The biggest problem I think you will face, and it is by far the most common thing I hear from people just starting BJJ or MMA is that "it's just not like any other workout." It doesn't matter if you can bench press 2x your body weight, run a 5 minute mile, and cycle for days. It's not that kind of workout. It is completely anaerobic at times, but also can last for 20 minutes in a single roll if you're just messing around or for an entire hour-long class, and it is very difficult to mimic without doing the actual act.

So no matter how much you work out, you are going to come up against a wall past which point you are not really doing yourself a lot of good. This all depends on your physical state, etc. But again, if you can get to a gym then get to one. It is by far the best method.

And a little thing I came across, sounds like it might be up your alley.

http://www.podfitness.com

This is a website that you can sign up for, monthly fee. You give them the music you like to work out to, and you pick from the trainers they have on their website. Last I checked, among their trainers were Bas Rutten and Jeremy Horn. A few others, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Basically whoever you choose creates a workout for you, and gives you an audio file to put on your ipod or mp3 player. The instructions for the workout are edited into your music, and guide you through the whole workout. You can specify what your goals are, what kind of workout you want, and what intensity you want. I don't remember the price off the top of my head, but it might be something to look into.

Good luck, and stick with it.

rafesparza
10-09-2007, 02:20 AM
My complete honest opinion would be to join a gym. There is absolutely no substitute for an academy. No matter what you can put together at your house or in your backyard, it's just not going to be the same.

I'm completely with you. I'm just way outta shape and know that even the type of sports training I did in the past probably doesn't even scratch the surface. Therefore, I want to make it so that I get back into shape first and then integrate MMA training along the way.

The biggest problem I think you will face, and it is by far the most common thing I hear from people just starting BJJ or MMA is that "it's just not like any other workout."

Agreed. I forced myself to a twenty minute grappling session on Thursday just to access my own abilities and just get out of the mentality that the gyms will be the only form of exercise. Just figure it's a decent way to start.

Good luck, and stick with it.
Most def man, you can lower my rep if I don't.

Thanks for the tips.

blackfox
10-09-2007, 02:57 AM
I've never done any sports my whole life, save for backyard football games. always a computer geek. but I'm tall and lanky and I have an anger problem so a friend suggested I quit watching the UFC and starting training for it. So I did. So it's been fucking hard using muscles I never use not like I'm overweight out of shape I'm not but it's still a killer fucking work out.

The athleat comment was based on watching "Born athleats" get fucking tossed around and choked almost to sleep for thinking they could "handle it" becuase they were athleats before. But like my homeslice noob said BJJ and really fighting in general is like no other workout.

Also butterbean ad butterbeans BJJ instructor both told me born athleats suck. :P

dudefella
10-20-2007, 07:49 AM
I've never done any sports my whole life, save for backyard football games. always a computer geek. but I'm tall and lanky and I have an anger problem so a friend suggested I quit watching the UFC and starting training for it. So I did. So it's been fucking hard using muscles I never use not like I'm overweight out of shape I'm not but it's still a killer fucking work out.

The athleat comment was based on watching "Born athleats" get fucking tossed around and choked almost to sleep for thinking they could "handle it" becuase they were athleats before. But like my homeslice noob said BJJ and really fighting in general is like no other workout.

Also butterbean ad butterbeans BJJ instructor both told me born athleats suck. :P
"athlete" ... not "athleat"

just sayin'

Noob
10-20-2007, 07:59 AM
"athlete" ... not "athleat"

just sayin'

You really responded to an 11 day old thread just to pick out a typo?

dudefella
10-20-2007, 08:45 AM
You really responded to an 11 day old thread just to pick out a typo?
Didn't check the dates, but yep.

Noob
10-20-2007, 08:53 AM
Didn't check the dates, but yep.

Pretty sure that was unnecessary.

rafesparza
10-22-2007, 07:41 PM
Typo aside...

the slow process continues.

Just a couple light sessions to start. Not sure about my training partner's commitment. Some simple grappling and a few regular training exercises. But at the very least it's good to be attempting to get back into shape and all.

Nice sig Noob.

Noob
10-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Typo aside...

the slow process continues.

Just a couple light sessions to start. Not sure about my training partner's commitment. Some simple grappling and a few regular training exercises. But at the very least it's good to be attempting to get back into shape and all.

Good to hear it.

Nice sig Noob.

Lol, I hate you.

rafesparza
10-22-2007, 08:33 PM
Lol, I hate you.

All I'm sayin is that you are a real american.

Fight for what's right.

Fight for your life.

No shame in pulling for Verra... Just didn't surprise me that Sylvia was going to waddle his way through another win.

Brock v. Slyvia anyone?

Tick
10-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Here is one... I have been recently reading that you should take in protein before and after a workout. Soon I will be starting twice a day workouts 3 days a week. This is just because I have a hard time working in cardio during my weight workout part. ANYWAY....

Should I take in 20 grams+ of protein before and after the cardio part as well? I already do it for the weight part, I am just unsure of the cardio part.

Thanks

Clint
10-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Here is one... I have been recently reading that you should take in protein before and after a workout. Soon I will be starting twice a day workouts 3 days a week. This is just because I have a hard time working in cardio during my weight workout part. ANYWAY....

Should I take in 20 grams+ of protein before and after the cardio part as well? I already do it for the weight part, I am just unsure of the cardio part.

Thanks
For cardio it's not as essential, so i would say still take in a bit of protein afterwards but don't worry about getting a ton in.

Noob
10-23-2007, 03:29 PM
I prefer some protein with my meal beforehand. Milk, something like that. Accompanied by some complex carbs and maybe some vegetables, something clean.

Afterwards I eat a good carb, protein meal with a little bit of fat because I can get away with it. Seems to work best for me.

Pythonfighter14
12-07-2007, 01:50 AM
:confusedsmilie: I got a question.

I'm a high school wrestler and I needed to lose 10 lbs to get in the wight class i wanted to be in. I did it and i am still eating very healthy. Here is my everyday meal:

Breakfast:2 bowls(small bowls really like 1/2 of a bowl each) of Fiber select cereal in Skim milk or Oatmeal. Nothing on days with weigh ins.

Lunch: turkey snadwich in whole grain bread. Apple or pear. 5 carrots 5 mini tomatoes 5 celery sticks. sometimes low fat beef jerky(For protein)

Dinner: Some type of meat. Salad. 2 Egg whites.

Now my question is that my skin is turning white, like pale white. I feel fine and have energy every day. I just don't get why I am turning pale.

:confusedsmilie:

Noob
12-07-2007, 02:21 AM
^^ Are you taking a multivitamin?

Clint
12-07-2007, 01:56 PM
You need more veggies in your diet to make sure you are getting all of your vitamins (also taking a multi would be a good idea)

JMH
12-10-2007, 04:35 PM
What IS a good multi-vitamin that doesn't cost an arm or leg or more than a can of baby formula, lol?

Clint
12-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Well I dunno what baby formula costs but GNC ultra Mega man is a good choice for the price. If you are getting enough fruits and good leafy green veggies in your diet a higher quality multi isn't as crucial so GNC brand is plenty good enough.

just don't get the sport. It's a rip off. They took out all the good antioxidants and replaced them with Aminos (but not enough Aminos to impact anything)

JMH
12-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Well I dunno what baby formula costs but GNC ultra Mega man is a good choice for the price. If you are getting enough fruits and good leafy green veggies in your diet a higher quality multi isn't as crucial so GNC brand is plenty good enough.

just don't get the sport. It's a rip off. They took out all the good antioxidants and replaced them with Aminos (but not enough Aminos to impact anything)

A follow up to your suggestion Clint.

My wife hates veggies, I only eat a few, not to fond of them myself even though I know I need to incorporate them more into my diet.

Do you know of any good multi-vitamins for people who don't eat enough fruits and veggies?

Formula costs around 11 bucks right now I think.

Clint
12-10-2007, 04:54 PM
There obviously is no complete replacement but a greens drink would be the best substitute. Greens+ is the top brand but a bit pricier. Now foods also makes a good one that is cheaper.

For people that don't like veggies the best thing to do is cook them into things. Like if you are making an omlete throw a handfull of frozen spinach in it. You can barely taste it.

Also should note that if you are using a greens drink a multi probably isn't needed at all.

JMH
12-10-2007, 04:59 PM
Thanks I'll look into that green's drink.

I do like spinache however, salad wise and dip, and even on pizza and omelettes. sp?

Broccoli ony in chinese.

Green beans on in asian dishes. Or whatever Fillipino style my mother would make.

Clint
12-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Broccoli and Spinach are two big ones so atleast you will eat those two. You just have to experiment for some of the others.

Pythonfighter14
12-12-2007, 02:32 AM
Sorry I have been busy past couple days and so could not post replies (tournament) Yes i use a multivitamin.

and as for eating more veggies. yeah, im prolly going to try to eat a little bit more. What a re the vegetables with the least amount of calories. i kno celery is one but what others have so few that you burn them off by chewing it?

Clint
12-12-2007, 03:01 AM
Celery, broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, lettuce all have minimal calories

Tack74
01-15-2008, 03:39 AM
I would like to add onto Ticks question: As far as diets go I try to eat 7 times a day brkfst(oatmeal and 2 slices wheat toast/w fake butter), 10am 6 ounces meat 2 spears broccoli, noon same, post wrkout fruit+protein, 1730 same, 2000 same, and protein before bed. That being said I do cardio for about 45 mins a day @ 400 cals burnt not including weight lifting @ every other day.....Ive been on this diet for 2 weeks and have lost a grand total of 1 pound.....WTFO why isnt the weight falling off me?? BTW im 5'11 212 and in the Navy......someone please help me!!!!!

Codysseus
02-17-2008, 08:27 AM
Hey, ive been a boxer for 3 years and have always had trouble with cardio. I have a good build and have worked a solid technique but cant last. this is do to the fact that i have had a knee problem which prevents me from doing exercises which have have high impact on the legs. ie: running, biking, etc.... does anyone know of anyworkouts that will build cardio but focus on the upper body?

Ubermensch
02-17-2008, 07:28 PM
You can do Pushup Cardio, You can get a Baby Trampoline. You can do the Butterfly stroke while swimming laps. You can use an Arm Bike etc etc.

Codysseus
02-18-2008, 02:59 AM
thanks alot, ill keep those in mind.

bighappy
02-29-2008, 03:23 AM
Ever try the TRX Suspension Trainer?

Tenacious_Thunder
06-18-2008, 04:45 AM
Is their a healthy way to gain 17 lbs in 11 days.........

Ubermensch
06-18-2008, 05:03 AM
Not of muscle!!

Clint
06-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Is their a healthy way to gain 17 lbs in 11 days.........

Why exactly?

Tenacious_Thunder
06-18-2008, 05:42 PM
Not of muscle!!

Yeah, but is slowly gaining the weight by drinking water the best/only way, cause i did that for a wrestling match and puked everywhere lol

Tenacious_Thunder
06-18-2008, 05:46 PM
Why exactly?

Have an mma bout set for the 21st in colorado,
(really, really small show)
my fight is at mw and just cant be more than 30 lbs lighter then him unfair and aginst the rules :D

Clint
06-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Drink a bunch of water, eat a meal before the weigh in, and weight in fully clothed with a bunch of shit in your pockets (wallet, phone, keys, ball bearings:devilsmilie: ,...)

Tenacious_Thunder
06-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Drink a bunch of water, eat a meal before the weigh in, and weight in fully clothed with a bunch of shit in your pockets (wallet, phone, keys, ball bearings:devilsmilie: ,...)

All right, sounds...... great.:huh: thanks alot so water it is, great :dry:

Ubermensch
06-18-2008, 10:01 PM
Yea I really don't know of a way to do it fast without affecting conditioning. If I did I would be bigger myself.

Tenacious_Thunder
06-23-2008, 09:49 PM
This last season, i decided to join wrestling for my first year. and stepping up with thoes guys who done it for 15+ years for my first year sucked and having to wrestle 45 lbs above my own weight on varsity sucked as well.....
giving me a record of 6 wins with 20 losses lol

so i was wondering, what are some effictive and legal bjj moves that would work in wrestling?

Tenacious_Thunder
06-23-2008, 10:06 PM

Oh yeah, and by the way, with the last question i asked, i gained the weight by wearing 4 pairs of shorts and stuffing each pocket with heavy things, lol
and won by high kick in 12 seconds in the second

messenjah26
11-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Hey y'all i'm new here. got a quick question,- has anyone here tried permadrol? it's a new LH/TEST enhancer. thanks for the feedback.

JPC1
11-01-2011, 05:45 AM
Looks like this thread hasn't been used in quite some time, but seemed to be quite popular. Maybe we can get it going once again! Check out Strength & Conditioning 101, with me - the MMAFreak - breaking down some moves to improve your training and performance. Enjoy!

MMACanada.net's Strength & Conditioning 101 - TRX Pushup / Atomic Pushup. S2,EP2 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCIbIMEyUy8)

JPC1
11-01-2011, 05:54 AM
Want to share some of the clips, so here's another!
MMACanada.net's Strength & Conditioning 101- TRX Lunge / Flying Knee. S2,EP1 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIVMtCLJkNc)

TheKidInside
11-01-2011, 05:09 PM
good stuff on the TRX cables...but I like pistols above almost all else :D