PDA

View Full Version : Gi Review Thread

Noob
10-14-2007, 05:14 PM
This is a stickied thread, and it is going to be the home for any gi reviews you guys feel like putting together. Also the place to post if you want recommendations on gi purchases.

If you own a gi, have rolled in one, borrowed it from a friend, whatever. Put together a review and submit it here. I will edit and update the thread to include all new admissions.

Eventually I would like to see this become a good reference tool for anyone looking to buy a new gi.

Atama:

This was my first gi, and it treated me well for more than a year as my only gi. I still use it, and it is still holding up well after almost two years of constant use.

Atama's are expensive. I managed to buy this one before their prices went up, but I honestly would not buy another. The gi is great and I would love another, but the prices are too high anymore. There are better deals for the money imo.

Atama does make good products though. If you don't mind the price, you can't go wrong with one. They have been around for a while, and there is nothing wrong with their gi. A very very solid product, and one of the better all around gi's on the market.

I own an Atama single weave. I typically do a gi class at least 2 times a week, and often 3 times.

I have no major complaints about this gi. It is comfortable, well-stitched, and fits me well. The sleeves and pant legs shrunk a little after a few washes, but not enough to be of any consequence.

The color has stayed well, through 2-3 washes per week for more than a year. The gi overall shows no signs of wear, aside from a small catch on the collar, but I believe that was my fault, lol.

The gi is comfortable, looks good, and breaths well. It is sturdy, not overly hot, and an all-around good gi. The only complaint I would have about it is the belt loops on the pants for the drawstring. They are flimsy, and I have had to have them re-stitched once. Other than that it is a good gi and I would recommend it.

For the money there are better deals. If I found another one on sale or on ebay, I would buy it. I would not pay retail for another Atama however. It is a comfortable gi with an assured level of quality, a surefire bet if you don't mind the price tag.

http://www.atama-kimonos.com/images/products/kimonos/single/blue_flag/back_68-131.gifhttp://www.atama-kimonos.com/images/products/kimonos/single/blue_flag/side_68-131.gifhttp://www.atama-kimonos.com/images/products/kimonos/single/blue_flag/front_68-131.gif

:::::: Official Website for Atama Kimonos - USA :::::: (http://atama-kimonos.com/)

I have an Atama gi, with Royce Gracie Jiu Jitsu's name and insignia stitched on the back. The gi is awesome- thick cotton makeup and great stitching. I actually like the drawstrings on the pants, as mine are in the front and easy to pull and tie- don't seem weak as of yet (8 mos.).

It cost... well... a lot really... I was kinda pissed at how much, so it better last. lol. @ $157 for an A3 gi.

http://www.atama-kimonos.com/images/products/kimonos/gold/gold_blue/front_200-385.gifhttp://www.atama-kimonos.com/images/products/kimonos/gold/gold_blue/side_200-385.gif

this is my gi. No flag on the back, just a little flag on the shoulder and an Atama Jiu-Jitsu patch. It's a gold weave-it's thick like the double weave, yet it feels really light. It was kind of big when I first got it, but after a few washes the sleeves and legs shrunk up a bit. Comfortable gi and I don't get too hot when rolling around in it.

Bad Boy Kimonos:

i have a Bad Boy gi, had it for over a year so far, with, on average about 1-2 gi BJJ classes a week.

no holes, no tears, no problems. its comfortable, but the jacket is thick as fuck, so its a little hot while training, but other than that, i have no complaints. and you cant get much more old school MMA than rocking Bad Boy

i have no idea if its a single or double, but from what i know, all Bad Boys are tough ass material.

Brazil Combat Gi:

Update on my Brazil Combat Gi. At first I was really excited about the gi. Looked great, felt great..... Wore it twice, washed it like four times (it's black), and it came out of the wash with the patched coming off the sleeves. Not just the patch itself coming off, but the white piping around the patch was separating from it. Pretty irritated to say the least. I e-mailed the company and got a quick response. E-mailed some pics of the patches. They are sending me a few new ones that I'll have to get sewn on. Or they offered me 10% off my next purchase which is a fucking joke. I'll take the patches, thanks.
-So all in all, their stitching is sub par, only a single stitch around all the patches. I feel it should be double stitched or something to reinforce it better.
-The gi itself seems to be of good quality, but we'll see how it stands up long term.
-Customer service is quick to respond and good to deal with, but their offer to me was mediocre at best.
-And finally I just know I wont get the patches for at least two weeks because they are on a slow boat from Brazil.

Keiko Raca:

Here's some info some people may appreciate. It would be cool if others could contribute similar stats so we could get a good comparison going.
I just got a Keiko for Christmas, literally, an hour ago, and I measured it to compare to my old Gameness. So, here are the measurements for two different gis. It would be interesting if someone got a new Gameness single weave A2 so that we could see how much they really shrink.
I will also update the stats of the Keiko after I've shrunk it a little so people can see how much they can expect it to change with 10-15 minutes of low heat drying. I imagine I will eventually be getting it tailored exactly how I want so I can keep this is a competition gi.

Keiko Raca Limited Edition Kimono / Gi - White
A2 = 5'7'' - 6'0''ft / 169 - 177cm 141 - 176lb / 65 - 80Kg
Sleeve width: 14 3/4"
Sleeve length: 29" (taken from outside of collar to tip)
Collar length: 77 1/2"
Bottom width: 59"
Pant width: 19 1/4"
Pant length: 38 1/4"

Gameness Single Weave Gi
A2 5'.7" - 5'.9" 140lbs - 165lbs
One year of use, estimated total dry time of 15 minutes on low heat when new

Sleeve width: 13 3/4"
Sleeve length: 26 3/8" (taken from outside of collar to tip)
Collar length: 68 1/2"
Bottom width: 57 1/2"
Pant width: 17 3/4"
Pant length: 35 1/4"

Gameness:

Everyone at my school wears Gameness and I have yet to hear anyone complain. I've had mine for a year and it's my only one. It's still together with only one minor tear on the inside of all places. They don't shrink that much (although avoding a dryer is best) and can be dyed very effectively too.

I also second the HCK gi if you want a starter for cheap.

I have only used a gameness gi in my 10 months of BJJ (the white platinum one).
I have only had to use one patch on the knee (very weird place to get a hole, I think it got caught on something). Other than that, there has been pretty much zero wear and tear on the thing. It's a tank. It IS a bit heavy, but I like that anyway as I get a better sweat / workout in when rolling. It's durable as all hell. Zero complaints.

Here's some info some people may appreciate. It would be cool if others could contribute similar stats so we could get a good comparison going.
I just got a Keiko for Christmas, literally, an hour ago, and I measured it to compare to my old Gameness. So, here are the measurements for two different gis. It would be interesting if someone got a new Gameness single weave A2 so that we could see how much they really shrink.
I will also update the stats of the Keiko after I've shrunk it a little so people can see how much they can expect it to change with 10-15 minutes of low heat drying. I imagine I will eventually be getting it tailored exactly how I want so I can keep this is a competition gi.

Gameness Single Weave Gi

I currently have a Gameness single weave gi. It is 8 months old, and gets used twice a week. Holding up very well, no complaints. Great value also. Was like $80 + shipping if I recall.

Ground Force Kimonos:

This is a little-known gi company. They make their gis out of hemp. The guy lives in California, buys imported hemp and uses it to make gis. He's in between productions, and has a new line coming out early 2008. I have his email address, and you can order directly from him if you want one.

I bought one just for the novelty of owning it, and to see if it wasn't a diamond in the rough. It cost me $100 after shipping. The guy sent some free patches and a belt included at no extra expense.

I was kind of apprehensive about buying a gi from him, as he had no website and I had to do some research just to find his email address, but in the end it was worth the risk. The owner is really nice and will take the time to answer any questions you have about the gi. One of the best customer service experiences I've ever had.

hempkimonos@hotmail.com

Howard Combat Kimonos:

If you're looking to pinch some pennies but don't want to buy a crappy gi, then this is definitely your best bet. For the money, this is the best gi on the market in my opinion. The cost to quality ratio is really outstanding, and only maybe one or two other gi companies that I know of even come close.

These gis are thick. I can't stress that enough. I just bought one of these, and the lapel is like a horse collar. It is crazy thick. The rest of the gi is thick as well, and is sewn together in a way that you'd take many many years to ever pull this thing apart. I can't see myself ever wearing through this gi. I will probably have it forever.

Like I said, the prices are good. If you're looking to not spend too much, this is the gi you should get.

The sizing in these is tricky though. I bought one that I thought would fit me really snug, and it ended up still being a little too big even after washing. I would say that if in doubt, go smaller. They are very roomy gis.

Update:

Now that I've had a chance to roll in this gi, I have some additions to make to my review.

The gi is good. It's not the greatest gi I've ever worn, but it's definitely worth the $50 I paid for it. Some critiques:

The sleeves are a bit short. Nothing crazy, but just a little more than I would like. This is probably a good thing though, because the cuffs are also a bit wide. Not quite as wide as you would find on a Judo gi, but a bit larger than a typical BJJ gi. I haven't rolled in it extensively yet, but the width of the cuffs could be a problem.

The collar is fucking stiff. There is absolutely 0% chance of me being collar choked while wearing this thing. Just not going to happen. It's big, it's thick, and it's going to last forever. The downside being that it's almost too thick. It's almost like having a piece of cardboard around your neck. I expect this to wear in as I break the gi in over a few weeks.

All in all the gi is solid. Indestructible like a tank. A bit rough, and a bit baggy. All in all, not the greatest gi in the world. But a very solid middle-of-the-pack gi, and very much worth the $50 price tag. If I needed another gi and didn't want to break the bank, I would definitely buy another. A great startup gi if you're a beginner, or a great backup gi if you just want another addition into the rotation.

http://www.howardliu.com/catalog/images/bjj/comp_s/comp_s.jpg

HCK BJJ KIMONOS (http://www.howardliu.com/catalog/bjj/single.htm)

Piranha:

Ok review time. The piranha is pretty thick and the collar is stiff but not too stiff. It is heavy even for a single weave and tends to be hot, but I sweat like a bitch in heat anyway so it doesn't matter. Overall it's good. The customer service is good too, when I first recieved it , the gi was very long in the arms, I called the compant and they got back to me the next day and gave me all kinds of tips on how to size it. He was very nice. Good company, I will probably buy all my gear from them from now on.

Noob
10-28-2007, 02:55 PM
OK so after doing BJJ with no Gi for 3 months or so. I need a Gi. They sell them at my school for 130 bucks But I'm not real sure what kind. They said they were the best and that they don't make much money off of them. But I assume if they are making any money I could probably find it cheaper online.

What Gi would you recomend for me to get.

I'm looking to spend no more than 130$ or so.

Also, Sizeing, I have no idea of what size I would wear.

My coach said probably an A4 but I don't know what that means.

I have a 36 inch waste and wear a large T shirt.

But probably should be 30 inch waste and wear a M t shirt.

5 foot 9 inches tall. 200LBS.

Thanks Noob.

Okay, so 5'9'', 200lbs, and you want a moderately-priced gi.

Depending on what you want to pay, I would recommend these:

Gameness:

Very good gi. Normally pretty expensive, but mmawarehouse.com is having a sale on them right now, and a pretty good one at that.

You can pick up a single weave for $70, their 'Pearl' model for $90, or their best model, 'Platinum' for $100. These are very good prices, and pretty rare for Gameness. Gamness is a popular gi, and by all accounts a well-made one too. I've never heard of any serious complaints about them from anyone. I know that they do have thicker-than-average collars.

In Gameness you would probably wear an A-3

http://www.mmawarehouse.com/MMA-Jiu-Jitsu-Gis-s/37.htm

Atama:

This is my personal favorite gi. They are a touch expensive, but worth the money imo. Atama has been around for a while, and they make quality products. They aren't the flashiest of gis, but they are good stuff. I have had an Atama for more than a year now as my only gi and it's held up without a problem.

You can pick up an unbleached single weave for about $110-120. You would also wear an A-3 in these.

http://atama-kimonos.com/products/kimonos/single/unbleached/unbleached.htm

Howard Combat Kimono:

If you're looking to pinch some pennies but don't want to buy a crappy gi, then this is definitely your best bet. For the money, this is the best gi on the market in my opinion. The cost to quality ratio is really outstanding, and only maybe one or two other gi companies that I know of even come close.

These gis are thick. I can't stress that enough. I just bought one of these, and the lapel is like a horse collar. It is crazy thick. The rest of the gi is thick as well, and is sewn together in a way that you'd take many many years to ever pull this thing apart. I can't see myself ever wearing through this gi. I will probably have it forever.

Like I said, the prices are good. If you're looking to not spend too much, this is the gi you should get.

A single weave is likely all you need. You can get an unbleached single for $50, a bleached for $70, and a blue for $80. The shipping is only $12, so you can easily get a very high-quality gi for about $60 after shipping.

You would wear probably wear a 6 top with a 5 bottom. The sizing in these is tricky though. I bought one that I thought would fit me really snug, and it ended up still being a little too big even after washing. I would say that if in doubt, go smaller. They are very roomy gis.

http://www.howardliu.com/catalog/bjj/single.htm

Ground Force Kimonos:

These are a little-known gi company. They make their gis out of hemp. The guy lives in California, buys imported hemp and uses it to make gis. He's in between productions, and has a new line coming out early next year. I have his email address, and you can order directly from him if you want one.

I bought one just for the novelty of owning it, and to see if it wasn't a diamond in the rough. It cost me $100 after shipping. The guy sent some free patches and a belt included at no extra expense. The owner is really nice and will take the time to answer any questions you have about the gi. One of the best customer service experiences I've ever had.

Hope that helps. Let me know what you decide.

Kimuras"R"Us
10-28-2007, 09:25 PM

I have only had to use one patch on the knee (very weird place to get a hole, I think it got caught on something). Other than that, there has been pretty much zero wear and tear on the thing. It's a tank. It IS a bit heavy, but I like that anyway as I get a better sweat / workout in when rolling. It's durable as all hell. Zero complaints.

NixHex
10-28-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm definitely going to get a Hemp gi. Thanks for that info Noob. The wallet I have had for 12 years is 100% hemp, and the belt I have had for 12 year is 100% hemp. A gi is going to be great lol.

On a side note/off the wall question, does anyone know where I could find a belt that becomes a pipe like on the movie Dazed & Confused? On a scene in that movie "Pink" Floyd is leaning against the bowling alley and takes his belt buckle off and takes a hit. I'd love one of those belts if anybody knows how to come across one.

......and now back on the gi subject, I have nothing but praise for Gameness.

Noob
10-28-2007, 10:35 PM
I'm definitely going to get a Hemp gi. Thanks for that info Noob. The wallet I have had for 12 years is 100% hemp, and the belt I have had for 12 year is 100% hemp. A gi is going to be great lol.

It's a pretty interesting idea. I asked the guy why he used hemp, and he sent me this:

A little re-cap about the new HEMP gi.

Why Hemp?
- Hemp fibers tencil strength is 4x's stronger than cotton fiber. Which allows me to make a much lighter gi, perfect for hot weather training.

-Hemp is considered an "anti-microbial" fabric. This means mold and fungus can't continue to live and breed once it has reached the surface of the fabric.(for those of us who sometimes forget to wash our gis).

-Hemp is a porous fabric(under magnification it has many holes) this allows sweat to be wicked up very quickly, as this happens air passes through the porous fibers cooling you off faster than cotton.
also is colder weather it helps to retain body warmth.

-Hemp garments last ages longer than cotton. First Levi's were made of a similar canvas weave to what I am using. the first American flags were made from it too.(both still around by the way)

-Hemp is one of the only fibers that gets stronger when it's wet. Washing in extreme temperatures will not harm it.

-Hemp when washed, constantly reveals new surface area, making it softer and softer with each wash,yet keeping it's strength.

It's an interesting idea, and the price isn't unreasonable. He told me that he has a new batch coming out sometime in the spring, and should have a website up sometime soon. I just emailed him to order mine, and he took my order through Paypal.

NixHex
10-28-2007, 10:40 PM
What's the price range? I can account for the durability of hemp, my wallet and belt have been through hell & are still going strong.

Noob
10-28-2007, 11:30 PM
What's the price range? I can account for the durability of hemp, my wallet and belt have been through hell & are still going strong.

I paid an even $100, and that included shipping. I asked him, and he threw in a belt and some patches and stickers and stuff as well for free.

mauladala
10-29-2007, 02:59 AM
I have an Atama gi, with Royce Gracie Jiu Jitsu's name and insignia stitched on the back. The gi is awesome- thick cotton makeup and great stitching. I actually like the drawstrings on the pants, as mine are in the front and easy to pull and tie- don't seem weak as of yet (8 mos.).

It cost... well... a lot really... I was kinda pissed at how much, so it better last. lol. @ $157 for an A3 gi.

Noob
10-29-2007, 03:04 AM

Added.

Noob
10-30-2007, 09:19 PM
Just got an email from Howard saying that the Gi I ordered was out of stock but they should have some in on this friday and he would ship it out then.

Cool. You'll have to let me know how you like it once you get a chance to roll in it a bit.

ScottS
11-05-2007, 01:51 AM
Everyone at my school wears Gameness and I have yet to hear anyone complain. I've had mine for a year and it's my only one. It's still together with only one minor tear on the inside of all places. They don't shrink that much (although avoding a dryer is best) and can be dyed very effectively too.

Noob
11-05-2007, 02:27 AM

Added. Thanks.

Noob
11-06-2007, 09:31 AM

Added. Thanks.

AJL416AZ
12-02-2007, 03:40 PM
i have a Bad Boy gi, had it for over a year so far, with, on average about 1-2 gi BJJ classes a week.

no holes, no tears, no problems. its comfortable, but the jacket is thick as fuck, so its a little hot while training, but other than that, i have no complaints. and you cant get much more old school MMA than rocking Bad Boy

i have no idea if its a single or double, but from what i know, all Bad Boys are tough ass material.

Noob
12-04-2007, 01:00 PM
and you cant get much more old school MMA than rocking Bad Boy

Actually, all Bad Boy gi's are made by Atama. So the odds are pretty good that you're wearing an Atama with Bad Boy patches.

Added the review though. Thanks.

ScottS
12-25-2007, 01:37 PM

Gameness Single Weave Gi

Noob
12-25-2007, 04:14 PM
^^ Updated, thanks for the contribution.

Palma
02-01-2008, 07:34 PM
My Krugan took a shit on me and split along one of the knees... Just got a Koral in the mail and it seems like a superior Gi...

FaLcon88
02-03-2008, 12:28 AM
anyone have experience with the lucky gi
wanted to know others opinion besides saying its over priced

Noob
02-07-2008, 03:56 PM
anyone have experience with the lucky gi
wanted to know others opinion besides saying its over priced

It's overpriced.

I've worn one before. They're good gi's, but not worth the price tag at all. You can find comparable gi's for half the price. They are basically for die-hards, those who need the best equipment they can afford, or anyone with money to burn on such a thing.

I wouldn't really recommend it. But then again, I wouldn't recommend sex with a hooker either, but we've all been there...

Misfits138
03-07-2008, 12:57 AM
Again, the HCK is a great value for the money. It's kind of the AK-47 of Gi's. Tough, reliable and cheap. I have no complaints. The guys at my school who like to spend a little money all wear Koral.

Frasedog
03-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Anyone ever wear a Brazil Combat gi? I'm looking to order one very soon, and would like to see some reviews if I can. Also I fall right in the middle of A2 and A3. 5'10" 170 lbs. My current gi is an A3 that was a little big until I shrunk it. Brazil Combat claims their gis are pre shrunk which could be good or bad. Guess I could have it tailored if it was still too big. Any info would be appreciated.

I currently have a Gameness single weave gi. It is 8 months old, and gets used twice a week. Holding up very well, no complaints. Great value also. Was like $80 + shipping if I recall.

Noob
03-13-2008, 01:38 AM

Review added, thank you.

C'mon, let's see some more reviews. I would like to see this become a decent reference thread for people looking to buy a gi.

Tyler4870
03-21-2008, 12:14 PM
I have a question on sizes. I'm 6'0 and weight a scale tipping 265, on a good day, 275 on a bad one.... well according to the sizes I would have to get one that is for a 6'5"-6'9" guy, do I get one of those and tailor it or is their another trick. I'm kind of confused?!

Noob
03-21-2008, 11:13 PM
I have a question on sizes. I'm 6'0 and weight a scale tipping 265, on a good day, 275 on a bad one.... well according to the sizes I would have to get one that is for a 6'5"-6'9" guy, do I get one of those and tailor it or is their another trick. I'm kind of confused?!

There is a whole list of tricks to help size a gi appropriately for you.

A tailor is probably not going to help much. I've heard of people who have done it, but by-and-large the material used to make most gi's is thicker than what most tailors are accustomed to working with. Depending on the gi you choose and the tailor you have, you may find otherwise. But in my experience you won't have a lot of luck.

I'm heading out the door now, and don't have a lot of time to get in-depth with all the various factors that can help size a gi, but as a rough list:

Gi manufacturer. (not all gi sizes are created equal. Some companies size for short stocky guys (HCK), others for long-and-lean bodies (Keiko Raca).

Gi material. Some gi's will shrink more than others, depending on the thickness and length of the original cotton fibers. Normally this isn't something you can account for without a fair amount of research, but I know of a few that have definite tendencies to swing one way or the other on shrinkage.

"Pre-Shrunk." Some gi's (normally the ones that go through more processing before they hit the shelves), are effectively 'pre-shrunk' (Koral). Meaning that they have gone through more wash cycles and are not going to shrink much more once you own them. Others are not 'pre-shrunk' and can shrink considerably once you wash them (HCK).

Treatment. You can wash on hot, dry on hot (big-time shrinkage), wash on cold and don't dry at all (minimal shrinkage), or go somewhere inbetween. I have some gi's that I toss in any dryer, at any heat and they come out fine. Others I won't dare wash on anything but cold, and will never put in the dryer for fear they would shrink like an anorexic during Ramadan.

This is a short list. If you have any specific questions, feel free to list them here or shoot me a PM and I'd be glad to help you out.

TriangleChoke
03-22-2008, 08:29 PM
http://www.atama-kimonos.com/images/products/kimonos/gold/gold_blue/front_200-385.gifhttp://www.atama-kimonos.com/images/products/kimonos/gold/gold_blue/side_200-385.gif

this is my gi. No flag on the back, just a little flag on the shoulder and an Atama Jiu-Jitsu patch. It's a gold weave-it's thick like the double weave, yet it feels really light. It was kind of big when I first got it, but after a few washes the sleeves and legs shrunk up a bit. Comfortable gi and I don't get too hot when rolling around in it.

Noob
03-22-2008, 09:09 PM
^^ Added. Thanks.

Tyler4870
03-26-2008, 03:40 PM
I just bought a Pirhana gear single weave gi today, I'll let you know in a couple weeks how it is.

tapper
04-07-2008, 11:26 PM
good to hear all the high praise for gameness, i just picked up a pair on the weekend.

right now the gi has been a budo. very nice, high quality well fitting, thick but not too sweaty for the summers. this gi has been going strong for 2 years and it's like new.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/tappermma/budogi.jpg

Budo-Gear.com - Premium Heavy Judogi (http://www.budo-gear.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,30/category_id,1/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,33/)

great gi.

Palma
04-08-2008, 12:12 AM
good to hear all the high praise for gameness, i just picked up a pair on the weekend.

right now the gi has been a budo. very nice, high quality well fitting, thick but not too sweaty for the summers. this gi has been going strong for 2 years and it's like new.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/tappermma/budogi.jpg

Budo-Gear.com - Premium Heavy Judogi (http://www.budo-gear.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,30/category_id,1/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,33/)

great gi.

I always imagined that you had a shaved head and a mustash...

tapper
04-08-2008, 11:39 PM
thats not me dude, he has a white belt.:laughing4:

Palma
04-09-2008, 01:12 AM
thats not me dude, he has a white belt.:laughing4:

Lol, so the picture was taken in your younger days?

tapper
04-09-2008, 12:08 PM
still not me. i look like matt damons good lookin younger brother. i'd post a pic but i don't want blah having nasty thoughts about me.:D

Palma
04-09-2008, 01:23 PM
still not me. i look like matt damons good lookin younger brother. i'd post a pic but i don't want blah having nasty thoughts about me.:D

I think you gave him enough to go on for now.

tapper
04-09-2008, 05:02 PM
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/tappermma/gross.gif

Frasedog
04-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Anyone ever wear a Brazil Combat gi? I'm looking to order one very soon, and would like to see some reviews if I can. Also I fall right in the middle of A2 and A3. 5'10" 170 lbs. My current gi is an A3 that was a little big until I shrunk it. Brazil Combat claims their gis are pre shrunk which could be good or bad. Guess I could have it tailored if it was still too big. Any info would be appreciated.

I got my Brazil Combat gi and have used it once. Looks and feels great. Softer than my Gameness gi. All good so far. If anyone is considering buying one, just be aware that it takes a long time for shipping. They come from Brazil, and it took 15 business days to get to Vermont. Well worth the wait though. I'll report back when it has had more thorough use. BRAZIL COMBAT (http://www.brazilcombat.eu/loja/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=82)
Here's a link for the gi I bought.

Tyler4870
04-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Ok review time. The piranha is pretty thick and the collar is stiff but not too stiff. It is heavy even for a single weave and tends to be hot, but I sweat like a bitch in heat anyway so it doesn't matter. Overall it's good. The customer service is good too, when I first recieved it , the gi was very long in the arms, I called the compant and they got back to me the next day and gave me all kinds of tips on how to size it. He was very nice. Good company, I will probably buy all my gear from them from now on.

Noob
04-20-2008, 09:09 PM

Added, thanks for the review.

Frasedog
04-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Update on my Brazil Combat Gi. At first I was really excited about the gi. Looked great, felt great..... Wore it twice, washed it like four times (it's black), and it came out of the wash with the patched coming off the sleeves. Not just the patch itself coming off, but the white piping around the patch was separating from it. Pretty irritated to say the least. I e-mailed the company and got a quick response. E-mailed some pics of the patches. They are sending me a few new ones that I'll have to get sewn on. Or they offered me 10% off my next purchase which is a fucking joke. I'll take the patches, thanks.
-So all in all, their stitching is sub par, only a single stitch around all the patches. I feel it should be double stitched or something to reinforce it better.
-The gi itself seems to be of good quality, but we'll see how it stands up long term.
-Customer service is quick to respond and good to deal with, but their offer to me was mediocre at best.
-And finally I just know I wont get the patches for at least two weeks because they are on a slow boat from Brazil.

Noob
05-05-2008, 11:02 PM

Added, thanks for the review.

ScottS
12-29-2008, 02:08 PM
After one year of wear. Only fluff dried.
Sleeve length: 26" (taken from outside of collar to tip)
Collar length: 73"
Bottom width: 53"
Pant width: 18 1/2"
Pant length: 37 1/4"

Atama Gold Weave Bleached Kimono
5'5"-5'9" 140-170 A-2
Sleeve width: 13 1/2"
Sleeve length: 28 1/4" (taken from outside of collar to tip)
Collar length: 73 1/4"
Bottom width: 54 1/4"
Pant width: 19"
Pant length: 37 3/4"

ohsiyon
03-27-2010, 11:04 PM
I'm researching all the different gi's that are out there and I'm at a complete loss to which is best to get for my boyfriend. He's a jits instructor under Royce Gracie and is in need for a new one. I think the one that he currently owns is from Gameness but it has a huge rip at the knee and is faded after 2 years of use. From this thread, I gather that Atama is excellent, however I'm curious about that hemp gi that someone had mentioned.

I'm okay with spending at most $300 for a really good one that will last.

Thanks.

Iron Triangle
08-17-2010, 08:55 PM
I've been contemplating getting GI for a while now. The Muay Thai school I might go to sells them for $60. I figure that is a good price to pay for a starter GI (plus I want to be able to try it on first and see how well it fits). Once I got my yellow belt (I study Traditional JJ) I governed that I earned the right to get one. If I stick with rolling and get another belt then I can treat myself to a more expensive and name brand model.

I've been eying a Keiko. Demian Maia and Cobrahina wear that brand, so seeing as how their two of my favorite practitioners, that is a good brand to go with.

brutejitsu
10-17-2010, 09:59 PM
i wear a Gameness Pearl,

this is a durable gi, the collar is rubber, and doesn't lose its shape after a year of use.

I'm currently a blue belt, and roll often 3-4 times a week. this gi has lost a little color but that's expected.
the Gi top is pretty rough, not like a HCK but it can be brutal on someone's face.
The pants are made from Rip stop material like the Atama, mundial pants.

I am a huge fan of gameness, the company has great customer service, and high quality gi's and a lower than average price when compared to other companies.

I am going to buy a Gameness Feather next, since it is made from the Pearl wave, just 100 grams lighter in the weave. Thew Feather is not, i repeat is not like an ultralight, its just a lighter version of the pearl, same cut etc.. in a month or two Gameness will release the Airlight i was informed.

Pro's
-great price
-little shrinking
-very durable
-no stretching
-thick, durable collar, but not too thick
-Very good cut

Cons
-fades a little
-a little rough, your partners might complain( is that really a con?)
- i don't like the rounded cord for the drawstrings.

My stats
5'10''
180lbs
BJJ Blue belt

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/3859/1000119.th.jpg (http://img808.imageshack.us/i/1000119.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/760/1000120.th.jpg (http://img100.imageshack.us/i/1000120.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

izzi1s
07-05-2013, 10:14 AM
I started with Gameness Gi's (Still love them) , but I just purchased a gi from a brand called Origin. I am impressed. I like the fact that you can choose different sized pants from the Gi jacket size means alot. http://www.originbjj.com/store/product/pro-comp-2013