PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to get sued for amateur fights?

SumsNews
10-16-2007, 09:40 PM
I had a fight last Friday with an old pal of mine, it started off with him kicking me a few times and throwing a couple jabs. Keeping in mind that we both had on mma gloves, no shoes, and were in an open grass area on Church property :happy:. So after I stopped smiling and laughing because he was actually landing some, I got serious and threw a right hook that ended it b/c he fell straight to the ground with a loud grunt. The fight was about 45 seconds total. We were alone and we rushed to the hospital after he could see again. He has to get surgery this Friday and I broke his nose and nose cavity? As well as his left cheek bone is cracked.

My main concern is that is it possible for me to get sued over an amateur fight like this? For future references. Can I make and/or print out like a waiver or something for each of us to sign that agrees that neither of us can press charges or sue; like for assault or for damages/surgery, or the fact that we were on church property. Where would be a legal place that we could fight also?

I actually had the video recorded but we walked right out of focus before the fight, when we were taking our sandals off, and just forgot to walk back to where I had it pointed. But I'm trying to get this x boxer to fight me, he's my weight 185/190 and I'll make sure that one's recorded. We are both 18 and the other guy was 160+ I think, if anyone was wondering.

Comments and feedback are more than welcomed..

Gmunit
10-16-2007, 10:03 PM
I had a fight last Friday with an old pal of mine, it started off with him kicking me a few times and throwing a couple jabs. Keeping in mind that we both had on mma gloves, no shoes, and were in an open grass area on Church property :happy:. So after I stopped smiling and laughing because he was actually landing some, I got serious and threw a right hook that ended it b/c he fell straight to the ground with a loud grunt. The fight was about 45 seconds total. We were alone and we rushed to the hospital after he could see again. He has to get surgery this Friday and I broke his nose and nose cavity? As well as his left cheek bone is cracked.

My main concern is that is it possible for me to get sued over an amateur fight like this? For future references. Can I make and/or print out like a waiver or something for each of us to sign that agrees that neither of us can press charges or sue; like for assault or for damages/surgery, or the fact that we were on church property. Where would be a legal place that we could fight also?

I actually had the video recorded but we walked right out of focus before the fight, when we were taking our sandals off, and just forgot to walk back to where I had it get this x boxer to fight me, he's my weight 185/190 pointed. But I'm trying to and I'll make sure that one's recorded. We are both 18 and the other guy was 160+ I think, if anyone was wondering.

just because you guys had gloves on DOESN'T make it an amateur fight, not to be hard on you but this is EXACTLY the type of shit that's bad for MMA

SumsNews
10-16-2007, 11:05 PM
Not really, I want the experience instead of just jumping right into our local mma fighting organization.

Technically it is an amateur fight:

[http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/amateur]

1. a person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity for pleasure rather than for financial benefit or professional reasons.

2. an athlete who has never competed for payment or for a monetary prize.

3. a person inexperienced or unskilled in a particular activity

4. a person who admires something; devotee; fan

5. characteristic of or engaged in by an amateur; nonprofessional

but w/e..

It would be different if I was posting shit on youtube bragging or boasting about this; it's not like I had a crowd watching either. Instead of taking advantage of him going to the ground I stopped, took off my gloves and made sure he was alright. Would it be that bad if I had submitted him and won?!!

Clint
10-16-2007, 11:23 PM
Yes you can be held both civilly and legally liable for a fight of this nature. If both of you sign a waiver stating that you are Sparring and neither is responsible financially for injuries then you can probably prevent getting in trouble montarily but if something bad happens you can still be help criminally liable regardless.

My advice: Join a gym, do your training there or atleast do the shit on your own private property not on someone else's property.

Edit: Note: An amateur fight requires licensing in most states and is illegal in some. It is different from sparring.

ufobydeath
10-16-2007, 11:36 PM
Not really, I want the experience instead of just jumping right into our local mma fighting organization.

Wouldn't jumping into the org give you experience?

Technically it is an amateur fight:

[http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/amateur]

1. a person who engages in a study, sport, or other activity for pleasure rather than for financial benefit or professional reasons.

2. an athlete who has never competed for payment or for a monetary prize.

3. a person inexperienced or unskilled in a particular activity

4. a person who admires something; devotee; fan

5. characteristic of or engaged in by an amateur; nonprofessional

Technically doesn't translate well into legally though; if it did then you could argue that every single streetfight was a sparring match. Gloves or no, amateur matches have to be sanctioned for them to be legal 99% of the time. If you want to get around this then make sure that you both sign an agreement that you are just sparring for fun and aware of the dangers.

but w/e..

It would be different if I was posting shit on youtube bragging or boasting about this; it's not like I had a crowd watching either. Instead of taking advantage of him going to the ground I stopped, took off my gloves and made sure he was alright. Would it be that bad if I had submitted him and won?!!

This just proves that you aren't a douchebag, and that's a good thing!
Well, if you had caught him with an armbar and he tapped before getting injured then he wouldn't have fucked up his nose now would he? ;)

Steel
10-16-2007, 11:36 PM
Dude..there is a reason why MMA exists only in select states..it is due to the fact that only certain states recognize it as a sport.

What you've done is possibly assault..like Fight Club or a bad episode of Jackass. I would make friends with that guy real quick and talk to a lawyer just in case.

If you want practical experience, go roll at a dojo or join a karate school.

Noob
10-16-2007, 11:42 PM
Edit: Note: An amateur fight requires licensing in most states and is illegal in some. It is different from sparring.

Lol at this thread.

Yes. What you are doing is not amateur fighting. The meaning of the word 'amateur' is not the same in a legal sense as it is in everyday speech. You can look at all the dictionaries you want, but the only definition that counts is the one a lawyer uses.

You are not an amateur fighter. You do not have an amateur record. This is backyard MMA at worst and sparring at best, not an amateur sport. I would suggest that you join a gym.

SumsNews
10-16-2007, 11:51 PM
ufobydeath
[Wouldn't jumping into the org give you experience?]

I'd rather not jump in and get handled and end up with a loss. I'd like as many wins over losses as possible.

Erotnas Steel

[I would make friends with that guy real quick and talk to a lawyer just in case.]
[If you want practical experience, go roll at a dojo or join a karate school.]

I don't want to pay for a trainer or any type of training. And I was friends with him previously so it's all good.

Thanks for all the tips on calling it a sparring match and making a waiver like that. I'll talk to some law students at my uni, I'm sure they'll have some sort of advice. All this legal shit sucks tbh, but I'm sure there's good purpose behind it. So people don't end up killing others or what not. It'd suck if someone got sued just because they fought better than the other guy.

ufobydeath
10-17-2007, 12:01 AM
ufobydeath
[Wouldn't jumping into the org give you experience?]

I'd rather not jump in and get handled and end up with a loss. I'd like as many wins over losses as possible.

So... does this mean that you don't train? Oh yeah, you didn't want to pay for a trainer... why is this? Afraid he'll hold ya back tiger? Seriously, if you don't wanna train and don't wanna risk losing... why are you playing MMA?

Palma
10-17-2007, 12:22 AM
He can sue you and you can sue him... this is America and anyone can sue anyone for any reason. It doesn't mean everyone wins, but in his case I think he has a good chance of ruining your life financially. He could also sue the Chruch as well since it took place on their property.

It would be much cheeper to pay for a trainer then hundreds of thousands of dollars over the next 20 years because watch too many MMA fights.

Either train or don't, but fighting like you are is a bad idea and it will bite you in the ass at some point. You obviously don't know what you are doing... I would recomend you stop now while you are ahead.

And Lol, at wanting to lose to trained MMA fighters because you don't want to lose... It's not like what you are doing is going to translate into an MMA record.

pa99fighter
10-17-2007, 12:32 AM
can you show us the video so we can see how bad it is?

Clint
10-17-2007, 12:36 AM
I don't want to pay for a trainer or any type of training. And I was friends with him previously so it's all good.

2 notes:
1) Your friend does not have to press charges, should he be hurt his family or the state itself can press charges without him

2) If you don't want to pay for a trainer then you are gonna get hurt in an MMA match anyways. Join a gym.

SumsNews
10-17-2007, 12:52 AM
grapplerguy21
[can you show us the video so we can see how bad it is?]
-How bad it is? I broke his nose and shifted his face to the other side, causing the other cheek bone to crack and he has to have surgery to fix it. This is with one punch, and I'll reiterate that I'm not boasting but you don't have to criticize if because you didn't see it. And you may want to read my post again because I stated that we went out of camera focus, I was actually planning on posting it.

I don't need a trainer, a trainer would be great imo, but I'm in my first year of college and don't have the money for a trainer or a gym atm. So sparring is the only thing I can really do that gets me active. I wrestled for a while and I'm technical with a handful of submissions and chokes. All I do now is train and spar with people I know to work on submissions and striking. I do cardio as well, and I don't see what you mean by getting hurt if I don't have a trainer Clint.. Palma, I realize that and I never inferred that it would count as an actually mark on my mma record. ufobydeath, I'm not playing with mma. I don't see why people think I'm some punk kid running around mimicking what I see on Spike Tv. or something..

I started this topic because after hurting him I realized that it was possible to get sued and was looking for alternatives. I live in the Cincinnati, OH region if anyone wants to suggest an inexpensive gym, I think a few people are from Southern Ohio here.

blackfox
10-17-2007, 12:56 AM
lol at this thread. dude you want experice fucking join a gym, train your ass off get in the cage get your ass kicked or kick ass thats the only way to do it. punching your buddies face in isent training. Fuckin goofball. This is why people think fighters are kunckle dragging muscle masses. fuckin wise up people.
EDIT: no one has the money to do this shit, we just work harder to make the money to do it, like I do. I'm in college too. Why do all the tards in my state come from cinci. google is your friend. look one up. hell grab a phone book start making calls ask if they offer BJJ, kickboxing, Muya thai, judo, boxing ect. you don't need an octagon to train in to be a fighter, just a good instructor.

ufobydeath
10-17-2007, 01:05 AM
ufobydeath, I'm not playing with mma. I don't see why people think I'm some punk kid running around mimicking what I see on Spike Tv. or something..

Ok, well since you can't see it then I will explain it to you: MMA as it is now is still seen by many as "human cockfighting" and I've gotten more than one weird look from people when I tell them what I'm training. The image most people seem to have of MMA fighters isn't one of a proffessional athlete but rather one of a violent thug who revels in violence and brutality. This is an image MMA fighters and organisations have worked hard to get rid of.
So when you show up here and ask or help after bashing your buddy's face in in what is essentially a street brawl in a public area, later dissmissing it as an "amateur match" and arrogantly refusing the advice to join a gym/get a trainer you truly seem like a punk. Now I may be misunderstanding this, and I can appreciate that you lack the funds to get proper training so I suggest that you either try to work it out with the teacher of a local gym or not train at all. That's the honest truth here.

SumsNews
10-17-2007, 01:48 AM
Tard? lol *sigh*. I use google more than you do, it's not like I haven't searched for any gym, I've used yellowpages.com as well, just looking for personal suggestions of people that have been or are associated with a gym in or around Cincinnati. That's the only reason why I added where I live around. And your stereotypical statement about people in Cincinnati is somewhat pathetic. Rich Franklin is from Cincinnati, what mma athlete has your city/town brought up?? I'm not trying to start an argument, but it's people like you why most forums just criticize people all the time and even shut down, it's terrible and fucking sad. And I've never heard any negative feedback from people criticizing mma personally, only from people that admire boxing and are biased about their sport.

(i.e.) http://youtube.com/watch?v=7jJgg3XHLhs
(Joe Rogan on Boxing vs. MMA)

And I wouldn't want to join a gym that isn't mma, except for BJJ which imo would be the best style to train in that isn't as versatile as mma. And just as much as you don't need an octagon and just a good trainer to be a fighter, I can do it by myself and still excel. I participate and was very proficient in like 4 sports, I'm pretty sure I'm an athlete and not some thug, if that's what you were implying. Like many wrestlers, mma is a new avenue for me to continue my talents, but w/e. Anymore comments are appreciated, please keep the negative feedback/criticism to yourself though, thanks.

Noob
10-17-2007, 01:51 AM
-How bad it is? I broke his nose and shifted his face to the other side, causing the other cheek bone to crack and he has to have surgery to fix it. This is with one punch, and I'll reiterate that I'm not boasting

Sure sounds like you're boasting.

I don't need a trainer, a trainer would be great imo, but I'm in my first year of college and don't have the money for a trainer or a gym atm.

In my experience, money is like time. There are a lot of people that say they don't have it, and a small minority for whom this is really true. For the rest, they find time (or $) to do what is important.

There are a lot of people in college that train in a martial art. If you have the money to buy gloves and a videocamera, or a retainer for a lawyer to fight civil and criminal suits, then you have enough to train for a month or more.

I don't see why people think I'm some punk kid running around mimicking what I see on Spike Tv. or something..

Because this sounds very much like something that a punk kid with friends and a video camera would do while trying to imitate a TUF marathon on church property.

I live in the Cincinnati, OH region if anyone wants to suggest an inexpensive gym, I think a few people are from Southern Ohio here.

Lol. I will leave it at this: Like the money situation, if you were really interested in training you would put in the time and energy to find a school.

Maybe you just want to kick around with your buddies in the backyard, and that's fine. Nothing wrong with it, but it is what it is. If that's all you're interested in, you don't have to play the part of the ambitious young TUFer who just can't seem to find the time and money to join a gym.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

I'm not trying to start an argument, but it's people like you why most forums just criticize people all the time and even shut down, it's terrible and fucking sad. And I've never heard any negative feedback from people criticizing mma personally, only from people that admire boxing and are biased about their sport.

You are on a forum. You are posting on a public website, and are therefore making yourself available for public scrutiny. It's just the way it works.

And claiming that the only people who have a wayward word about your backyard antics are anti-MMA is silly. Even posting Joe Rogan videos isn't going to make you sound less defensive.

And I wouldn't want to join a gym that isn't mma, except for BJJ which imo would be the best style to train in that isn't as versatile as mma. And just as much as you don't need an octagon and just a good trainer to be a fighter, I can do it by myself and still excel. I participate and was very proficient in like 4 sports, I'm pretty sure I'm an athlete and not some thug, if that's what you were implying. Like many wrestlers, mma is a new avenue for me to continue my talents, but w/e. Anymore comments are appreciated, please keep the negative feedback/criticism to yourself though, thanks.

4 sports you say? Excuse me while I step out and phone Deon Sanders. He will want to hear about this. Have you contacted your local news outlets? Perhaps put together a press release?

I am going to recommend these sites. I think they may be more your speed:

http://www.theultimatefighter.tv/forum/forum.php
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/

I'll be rooting for you when you're UFC champ. Godspeed.

Palma
10-17-2007, 02:04 AM
This is exactly why I didn't want Kimbo fighting MMA. Now everyone thinks they can circumvent years of training by beating up poeple in their backyards and capturing it on video...

I think even your idea about training is wacko... You don't want to train anything besides MMA? Are you crazy? The best MMA fighters specialized in one sport for years before taking on all facets of fighting.

Cung Le's guys are notrious for this. They can do everything well enough to fight competetively, but when the face someone who has great BJJ or striking they fold, because MMA will only teach you so much about kickboxing, wrestling, Bjj, or any paticular aspect of fighting.

I must say, I laugh at people who take up MMA who have never practiced any other combat sport. It's a fad at its finest.

Noob
10-17-2007, 02:10 AM
This is exactly why I didn't want Kimbo fighting MMA. Now everyone thinks they can circumvent years of training by beating up poeple in their backyards and capturing it on video...

It's the Kimbo sydrome.

I think even your idea about training is wacko... You don't want to train anything besides MMA? Are you crazy? The best MMA fighters specialized in one sport for years before taking on all facets of fighting.

I must say, I laugh at people who take up MMA who have never practiced any other combat sport. It's a fad at its finest.

Amen.

It's something about combat sports. For example, you don't see guys dorking around in their backyards with three friends and a deflated basketball boasting about how they are going to excel. Or asking if they can be sued if their crossover breaks a friend's ankle.

And they certainly aren't thinking about sharing their videos on the NBA forums asking for advise or applause.

There is something in combatitive sports that brings out the delusional inner warrior in people. Brings out their inner Andy Wang, if you will. Except even Andy Wang has a black belt. These guys come into the gym from time to time. They don't usually last very long, and seem truly troubled by the apparent gap between their perceived abilities, and their realistic ability.

{sigh}. We are in the TUF generation.

blackfox
10-17-2007, 02:14 AM
lets see I live in canton, home of the pro fucking football hall of fame. My city has done a lot for pro athletes. oh and the gym I train at taught Butterbean most of what he knows about BJJ. I'd say I got my bases pretty well covered there buddy.

So It's not even in your best intrest to start a pissing match with me.

And Cinci and the surrounding aera is full of fucking idiots. I've been there seen it and got the t-shirt. You're more evidence and If Rich franklin read this I'm sure he'd be disgusted.

Bottom line as all the vets here have said join a gym stop being a dumbass and come back when you have something constructive to add.

And just an FYI "natural athletes" are always the ones who get their asses kicked fastest.

lol at Dion Sanders comment.

ufobydeath
10-17-2007, 02:21 AM

This is so true, couldn't've said it better! rep'd

Palma
10-17-2007, 02:27 AM
I have a question for Sumnews,

What the hell were you trying to do when you fucked up your friend? Were you sparing or were you trying to fuck eachother up? I find it hard to believe you were sparing and did that much damage to someone... Maybe you don't know sparring is, which would be another example of why you should actually train with people who know what they are doing. You know it is called sparring and not fighting because you are going like 50%?

SumsNews
10-17-2007, 02:35 AM
Btw I only mentioned that I went to school around Cincinnati, because that's the main city that I live near that many people outside of Ohio know of. If I was boasting I'd title this thread like, "I put this guy in surgery while sparring", instead of a real concern of mine which is the fact that legal issues can come into play when sparring or working on mma. My background is wrestling, I believe I mentioned that? So I'm not claiming that I'm some natural athlete, just that I'm not some street thug, which people still don't seem to comprehend. And I do visit this site, but since the change of the "pics and videos" section has been disclosed to members with a higher reputation (don't recall off the top of my head) I've avoided the site. But I have been through and even posted in the instructional section of these forums that contain videos and do watch them. Which is why it's possible and I'm quite capable of learning things without the use of a trainer. Like I said, I spar and train with my brother and people I know, we practice and go through drills.

My brother has been taught bjj and some other form of martial arts i think. So I'm confident in what I'm doing, and from what I've seen at these small time mma organizations, there's nothing intimidating about them, except for the title holder who is probably the most well rounded and best athlete in that division in that particular organization. But I think if I keep up what I'm doing then go into a small time organization, by the time I get a few fights in people will see my potential and offer a spot to train with them, no saying for free either, but at least something worth my efforts for.

Sorry blackfox, I don't watch football or any other professional sports besides MMA. I'm actually from Notheast Ohio, and good for you on ur gym there. You should work on speaking for yourself a little more, I don't recommend claiming that you'd dominate me in anything seeing as you don't know me. And apparently you're not a natural athlete and contain no form of natural talent as well, stop being so defensive and snapping on me; didn't mean to hurt your feelings if I did :).

Btw, this whole thread has gone off topic, it's about the issue of being sued. Not the fight, which was an example and a reason for me to bring it up at all. And Palma, it was "a step up from sparring" but no elbows, knees, or kicks to the face, I said that in the beginning I believe.

ufobydeath
10-17-2007, 02:43 AM
Ok, I give up.

Yes you should find a gym.
Yes you can be sued.
Yes you should find a lawyer if that happens.
Yes I'm done now.

:deadhorse:

Noob
10-17-2007, 02:43 AM
My brother has been taught bjj and some other form of martial arts i think. So I'm confident in what I'm doing, and from what I've seen at these small time mma organizations, there's nothing intimidating about them, except for the title holder who is probably the most well rounded and best athlete in that division in that particular organization. But I think if I keep up what I'm doing then go into a small time organization, by the time I get a few fights in people will see my potential and offer a spot to train with them, no saying for free either, but at least something worth my efforts for.

I think you are slightly delusional, and a touch arrogant for someone who can only credit 'some wrestling' as their background experience. But whatever. I think you will find reality to be a harsh mistress.

And if I'm wrong, then more power to you. I'm sure Bas Rutten will be calling any day.

And don't claim that you're an active member because you posted one tme in the Grappling forum while you were lurking for videos.

:lurker:

Clint
10-17-2007, 02:48 AM
Dammit Palma I just sat down to make the same point. Either you are trying to train or you're trying to hurt a guy, they are mutually exclusive goals.

There is a reason that you don't see pros training at full speed with mma gloves, and your friends broken nose is the prime example of it.

If you don't have the money for training who is going to pay the doctors bills when your friend is the one that lands the punch and you need nose surgery?

Edit: Also in those other sports you played, did you have a coach or did you learn them all on your own?

Noob
10-17-2007, 02:52 AM
Dammit Palma I just sat down to make the same point. Either you are trying to train or you're trying to hurt a guy, they are mutually exclusive goals.

There is a reason that you don't see pros training at full speed with mma gloves, and your friends broken nose is the prime example of it.

If you don't have the money for training who is going to pay the doctors bills when your friend is the one that lands the punch and you need nose surgery?

We can't keep asking him logical questions to which he has no response. By most accounts he is at least halfway in his own private TUF fantasy world.

No matter what anyone says, on here for anywhere else, he is going to continue his routine until something serious happens or reality catches up with him and he gets some real training.

Palma
10-17-2007, 03:06 AM

Lol, This has to be the quote of the day... Dude, please promise me you post a vid of you fighting in a small time org. I promise to rep you so you can.

BTW, are you the guy who went to AKA to fight Koscheck?

And Palma, it was "a step up from sparring" but no elbows, knees, or kicks to the face, I said that in the beginning I believe.

I think you are confused on what sparring is, because a step up is an actual fight.

ufobydeath
10-17-2007, 03:19 AM
BTW, are you the guy who went to AKA to fight Koscheck?

:lmfao:

SumsNews
10-17-2007, 03:43 AM
lol no I'm not that guy. But I was coached in every sport except soccer. But yes I will try to train so I can legitimately fight. Or at least with the suggestion of someone, talk to the coach/trainer and tell them my situation and see where that takes me. I'll be sure to post a vid of my first small organizational fight in mma. I hope to join at least by February and start my career there. I only called it an "amateur fight" because that's was the first label I came to mind, it was full go sparring, but with "no kicks, knees, or elbows to the head". I personally don't like regular sparring, when everything is 50%, I don't land many at all when I go half speed, but that's just me personally. I've had problems before when I sparred with people just boxing or kick boxing, so I bought some focus mitts online and called it a day. The reason why I didn't answer your "logical question" nub is because I was too busy answering and commenting on everyone else, as you can see my responses consists of mainly paragraphs. You all have completely changed my perspective on the way I had my "first" fight and will handle my next :dry:. But honestly, thanks.

Brutus
10-17-2007, 04:01 AM

that is what you train for. training wont get you a loss, it will prepare you for the fights so that you dont lose. but if you wanna continue to beat up your friends in local churches, you will soon be lonely and bound for hell most likely. i'm not trying to bash you man, you need to get to a gym. some local YMCA's offer limited mma classes for cheap.

Noob
10-17-2007, 04:35 AM
it was full go sparring, but with "no kicks, knees, or elbows to the head". I personally don't like regular sparring, when everything is 50%, I don't land many at all when I go half speed, but that's just me personally.

{shakes head in disbelief}. You don't know what sparring is.

I've had problems before when I sparred with people just boxing or kick boxing

Those 'problems' you were having are good. That is called 'learning.' It is painful for some people.

You all have completely changed my perspective on the way I had my "first" fight and will handle my next :dry:. But honestly, thanks.

Sweet holy peppercorn you are dense.

You did not have a 'fight.' And hopefully you take the advice of those on here and go join a real school. You need quality instruction. And you need it bad from the sound of it.

Join a school, give it at least a year. At least. Learn some boxing, maybe some Muay Thai, some BJJ and wrestling. Good Lord what am I saying, you're not going to join a school. Go continue what you're doing because you're going to do it anyway. I hope you try fighting at a smaller org and come across someone with legitimate training, so that you can see (and feel) the gap between actual instruction and backyard horseplay.

Brutus
10-17-2007, 04:44 AM
I hope you try fighting at a smaller org and come across someone with legitimate training, so that you can see (and feel) the gap between actual instruction and backyard horseplay.

Well said.

Gmunit
10-17-2007, 05:35 AM
I leave work and go out for a couple of beers, during that time this thread became EPIC, this is what NOOB JACK CITY is all about

many thanks to all that were involved

*wipes away a single tear*

Palma
10-17-2007, 06:32 AM
lol no I'm not that guy. But I was coached in every sport except soccer. But yes I will try to train so I can legitimately fight. Or at least with the suggestion of someone, talk to the coach/trainer and tell them my situation and see where that takes me. I'll be sure to post a vid of my first small organizational fight in mma. I hope to join at least by February and start my career there. I only called it an "amateur fight" because that's was the first label I came to mind, it was full go sparring, but with "no kicks, knees, or elbows to the head". I personally don't like regular sparring, when everything is 50%, I don't land many at all when I go half speed, but that's just me personally. I've had problems before when I sparred with people just boxing or kick boxing, so I bought some focus mitts online and called it a day. The reason why I didn't answer your "logical question" nub is because I was too busy answering and commenting on everyone else, as you can see my responses consists of mainly paragraphs. You all have completely changed my perspective on the way I had my "first" fight and will handle my next :dry:. But honestly, thanks.

I will say this to you, you are not a troll and you are handeling adversity better then I do (maybe I'm a bad example).

I think it's great you are motivated and have a goal to fight MMA, and I think with everyone berating you with how you should be training you are starting to get it.

Just remember the objective of MMA or any combat sport is to win and not hurt your opponent. I know there are trained fighters out there who will tell you different (Frank Shamrock), but Karma has a way of getting those people back (HLK by Cung Le).

I think your original question of "can I get sued" is a good indication that you aren't going about your training the right way. And I know there is no text book format for starting to fight MMA from sratch, but this forum is a tremendous resource for getting started. Allot of poster train and there is a good training section where you can get sound advice.

My advice to you would be to actually train MMA with a camp before fighting an organized fight. I know you want your fight to prepel you into a camp, but it just doesn't work that way. I would actually suggest training BJJ first. It will train you on basics without punching, because if you can't deal with a real BJJ fighter without strikes, you sure as hell are going to get set up for a sub when they can open up your gard with punches and so forth. Besides, almost every MMA fighter trains BJJ and I'm sure you will find an MMA camp through learning BJJ.

Anyways, I think you are a good guy and I do hope you get to actually train MMA with people who know what they are doing.

Btw, if you want to reply to someone's quote without cutting and pasting you can just hit the quote button in the bottom right hand corner.

Intellectual
10-17-2007, 06:44 AM

I actually had the video recorded but we walked right out of focus before the fight, when we were taking our sandals off, and just forgot to walk back to where I had it pointed. But I'm trying to get this x boxer to fight me, he's my weight 185/190 and I'll make sure that one's recorded. We are both 18 and the other guy was 160+ I think, if anyone was wondering.

you douche

by the way, welcome to the forum

OMNIpotus
10-19-2007, 02:49 AM
As you can see, you simply cannot ask anyone anything without getting into some kind of stupid shit and having them tell you how you should run your life while attempting to cut you down at the same time. Eventually you just get jaded and learn that apparently all assholes learned to type and somehow it's your fault. Enjoy. Hope you got the answer you were looking for.

Noob
10-19-2007, 02:59 AM
As you can see, you simply cannot ask anyone anything without getting into some kind of stupid shit and having them tell you how you should run your life while attempting to cut you down at the same time. Eventually you just get jaded and learn that apparently all assholes learned to type and somehow it's your fault.

And you sure are there to defend every person that catches the least bit of flack. Was your own experience so painful that you feel the need to stick up for every person who has ever had a wayward word spoken to them?

I think we both know it's not about people. This is a personal issue. It's not how it makes this poster feel, it's really about how it makes you feel. You have a personal issue with behaviors that you perceive to be rude as you perceived your own treatment to have been unkind.

That perception has stayed with you, and you carry it with you into future engagements. As a result, you feel the need to stand up for anyone you deem to be slighted. To the point that you are fighting the trend seemingly just for the sake of being that lone person to stand up to the crowd the way you wish someone had stood up for you.

I only say this because it has become something of a trend, and coming to the perpetual defence of every dummy and knucklehead on the forum carries with it an air of self righteousness, and I think it separates you from the rest of the forum to a degree.

Just my two cents. Take it or leave it as you please.

Submissionist
10-19-2007, 03:11 AM
Lol his ass is still sore from this thread

http://forums.mmanews.com/showthread.php?t=15179

Let it go, it happens to everyone who say something retarded, no one gets immunity from it.

Noob
10-19-2007, 03:14 AM

Let it go, it happens to everyone who say something retarded, no one gets immunity from it.

http://forums.mmanews.com/showthread.php?t=15226
http://forums.mmanews.com/showthread.php?t=15243

Legend
10-19-2007, 03:24 AM

I just read that thread for the first time and that guy has no reason to bitch. He started crying bc people were not posting there responses like he wanted them too.

Steel
10-19-2007, 03:39 AM
Anymore comments are appreciated, please keep the negative feedback/criticism to yourself though, thanks.

Oh..so you're looking only for justification for your acts of stupidity?

Why not get your beer on and head on down to the local bar and start some shit and test your "skills" that way..that's what your actions equate to.

If you don't like the comments and feedback your getting go take them to a Fight Club forum where perhaps they will be well received.

pa99fighter
10-19-2007, 03:45 AM
Ok, I give up.

Yes you can be sued.
Yes I'm done now.

:deadhorse:
You just need 1 more to say to him. it should be
Yes you can be sued.
Yes I'm done now.
Yes your a fucking stupid jerkoff shut the fuck up you most likely cant fight if you dont train I hope that guy sues your ass you pathetic disgrace

Steel
10-19-2007, 03:49 AM
You just need 1 more to say to him. it should be
Yes you can be sued.
Yes I'm done now.
Yes your a fucking stupid jerkoff shut the fuck up you most likely cant fight if you dont train I hope that guy sues your ass you pathetic disgrace

LOL..but how do you REALLY feel?

pa99fighter
10-19-2007, 03:54 AM
LOL..but how do you REALLY feel?
How I feel?
I feel hes retarted
I feel he cant fight
and most off
I feel he deserves a smack

Gmunit
10-19-2007, 04:48 AM
this forum has always been good to newcomers, although he may not have come off the best with his first thread, we still should take it easy IMO

Palma
10-19-2007, 06:42 AM
Is anyone else sick of this guy always bitching?

As you can see, you simply cannot ask anyone anything without getting into some kind of stupid shit and having them tell you how you should run your life while attempting to cut you down at the same time. Eventually you just get jaded and learn that apparently all assholes learned to type and somehow it's your fault. Enjoy. Hope you got the answer you were looking for.

Negged...

Noob
10-19-2007, 07:20 AM
Is anyone else sick of this guy always bitching?

Negged...

See my post:

http://forums.mmanews.com/showpost.php?p=319644&postcount=43

Palma
10-19-2007, 08:10 AM
See my post:

http://forums.mmanews.com/showpost.php?p=319644&postcount=43

I swear he is the guy who is making internet videos about leaving Brittney alone.

OMNIpotus
10-19-2007, 11:32 PM
I think a better question is why aren't you to defend them and how does it make you feel to needlessly put people down? It doesn't matter anyway.

And you sure are there to defend every person that catches the least bit of flack. Was your own experience so painful that you feel the need to stick up for every person who has ever had a wayward word spoken to them?

I think we both know it's not about people. This is a personal issue. It's not how it makes this poster feel, it's really about how it makes you feel. You have a personal issue with behaviors that you perceive to be rude as you perceived your own treatment to have been unkind.

That perception has stayed with you, and you carry it with you into future engagements. As a result, you feel the need to stand up for anyone you deem to be slighted. To the point that you are fighting the trend seemingly just for the sake of being that lone person to stand up to the crowd the way you wish someone had stood up for you.

I only say this because it has become something of a trend, and coming to the perpetual defence of every dummy and knucklehead on the forum carries with it an air of self righteousness, and I think it separates you from the rest of the forum to a degree.

Just my two cents. Take it or leave it as you please.

Palma
10-19-2007, 11:40 PM
Omni: troll defender since 2007...

Noob
10-19-2007, 11:55 PM
I think a better question is why aren't you to defend them and how does it make you feel to needlessly put people down?

It has nothing to do with how it makes me feel. This is all about how insults make you feel. Let's not pretend that we are having an intellectual conversation about the inherent balance of fairness in the world. We are talking about you. This is all about you. As were all the other threads in which you inserted your dramatizations. It all comes back to how these things make you feel.

Because not all people need defending. Despite whatever perception you harbor, feelings of bitterness and resentment because you felt that you were wronged, your experience in life is not an archetype for all other social interactions in the world.

Your perception of your own mistreatment, on this board or elsewhere, does not extrapolate into all other experiences. It does not apply to other people's perceptions of the world.

I am making an attempt to be diplomatic about this, and it is the last time I will say anything. Your need to feel as though you are standing up for people, the way no one stood up for you, is getting in the way of your being fully embraced as a member here. Your need to play the romantic hero, coming to the rescue of the unheralded and disenfranchised is a theme on here, and one that seems to be earning you some friction with other members. Maybe you realize that, and are content to play the role of the intentional 'misunderstood loner,' complete with whatever romantic connotations you associate with that.

If that is the case, then so be it. I think it is a shame that you are unable to come to terms with your pain on an emotional level, and that it is spilling over into your interactions with other people. It would be nice if you didn't feel the need to stand up for every single person that isn't sufficiently coddled to your approval. This forum is not a nursery, and also not a daycare. At some point, all of us have to come to terms with reality, and the painful part of that is doing away with precious fantasies. Coming to terms with reality can be difficult, and no one escapes that. But intentional denial, as powerful and enticing as it can be, is an unfortunate road to have to go down.

I think you have a lot to offer this forum, but your personal agenda gets in the way. Your ambition, or need, to protect everyone from unkind words takes priority over all other factors.

It doesn't matter anyway.

Don't be emo.

Steel
10-20-2007, 02:59 AM
It has nothing to do with how it makes me feel. This is all about how insults make you feel. Let's not pretend that we are having an intellectual conversation about the inherent balance of fairness in the world. We are talking about you. This is all about you. As were all the other threads in which you inserted your dramatizations. It all comes back to how these things make you feel.

Because not all people need defending. Despite whatever perception you harbor, feelings of bitterness and resentment because you felt that you were wronged, your experience in life is not an archetype for all other social interactions in the world.

Your perception of your own mistreatment, on this board or elsewhere, does not extrapolate into all other experiences. It does not apply to other people's perceptions of the world.

I am making an attempt to be diplomatic about this, and it is the last time I will say anything. Your need to feel as though you are standing up for people, the way no one stood up for you, is getting in the way of your being fully embraced as a member here. Your need to play the romantic hero, coming to the rescue of the unheralded and disenfranchised is a theme on here, and one that seems to be earning you some friction with other members. Maybe you realize that, and are content to play the role of the intentional 'misunderstood loner,' complete with whatever romantic connotations you associate with that.

If that is the case, then so be it. I think it is a shame that you are unable to come to terms with your pain on an emotional level, and that it is spilling over into your interactions with other people. It would be nice if you didn't feel the need to stand up for every single person that isn't sufficiently coddled to your approval. This forum is not a nursery, and also not a daycare. At some point, all of us have to come to terms with reality, and the painful part of that is doing away with precious fantasies. Coming to terms with reality can be difficult, and no one escapes that. But intentional denial, as powerful and enticing as it can be, is an unfortunate road to have to go down.

I think you have a lot to offer this forum, but your personal agenda gets in the way. Your ambition, or need, to protect everyone from unkind words takes priority over all other factors.

Don't be emo.

There are times I stand in awe of a spectacular Noob retort / reply. This is one of those moments.

Palma
10-20-2007, 03:05 AM
There are times I stand in awe of a spectacular Noob retort / reply. This is one of those moments.

I'm glad I have always been friends with the boy... I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of his keyboard...

Steel
10-20-2007, 03:08 AM
I'm glad I have always been friends with the boy... I don't want to be on the wrong end of his keyboard...

Actually, I've chuckled at many of your replies as well. The Palma Effect can be a very deadly finisher.

Noob
10-20-2007, 03:11 AM
I'm glad I have always been friends with the boy... I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of his keyboard...

My kimura isn't bad either.

And you're not so bad yourself. Don't make me blush though. I hate blushing in public.

blackfox
10-20-2007, 05:07 AM
ok while the ownage is quite nice and all for the love of all things good and wordly pease lock this peice of shit. It was a peice of shit to begin with and omnisuckus is making it roll into a bigger shitball.

Sorry to stomp on the fun noob, palma and all.

Palma
10-20-2007, 05:13 AM
ok while the ownage is quite nice and all for the love of all things good and wordly pease lock this peice of shit. It was a peice of shit to begin with and omnisuckus is making it roll into a bigger shitball.

Sorry to stomp on the fun noob, palma and all.

Eh, it is in the Noob section, but it really wasn't fun. Although I can't disagree with you about it being a shitball.

Noob
10-20-2007, 06:20 AM
Fair enough. It has run its course.

:lock: