PDA

View Full Version : Edwin Dewees vs Gideon Ray Blood bath

TapOut27
08-25-2006, 07:00 AM
Bloodiest fight I have ever seen. That includes the joe stevenson vs yves edwards and belfort/couture III.

Dewees had blood just pooring out of his head for 2 rounds.

What did everyone else think? And that doctor was crazy

Kewl144
08-25-2006, 07:04 AM
http://forums.mmanews.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

dagreat1
08-25-2006, 07:10 AM
Also be carefull about posting these as the West Coast may have a time delay and I am not sure how many hours it is (likely only 1 but I am not certain).

dagreat1
08-25-2006, 07:14 AM
But regarding the fight yeah I though it was close to as bloody as the Yves fight but the Yves fight had actual puddles of blood and this one did not.

I would have to watch them both again to decipher but as of right now I am still going with the Yves fight.

I know the Dewees fight they moved around much more and that would stop the puddles from forming so I will get back on this.

To say the very least though there was a ton of blood literally pouring from Dewees' forehead.

Also, I had him winning all rounds, don't know how 1 elbow from the back and the final 2 minutes with top position being mediocrely active would warrant that person the round?

Kewl144
08-25-2006, 07:30 AM
Yea I thought DeWees won both rounds and I dont know why they went to a third round. But regardless, it was a good fight. DeWees bled like a stuck pig but that's expected with any cut on the fore head. It looks bad but it's not really a serious cut. Pro-wrestlers do it all the time with razor blades (and no I dont watch wrestling :)).

Boo
08-25-2006, 07:57 AM
It's pretty ironic that Gideon's first fight in the UFC with The Crow was stopped because of a cut to the side of Gideon's head. Another UFC inconsistancy considering the gushing we saw earlier.

Impressive Edwin holding the cut with one hand and punching with the other. What a gamer!

msrjr1972
08-25-2006, 05:35 PM
Pro-wrestlers?Do you mean pro-actors?Because that's all they do,is act(I use to watch that crap but not anymore ever since I got hooked on MMA).

ArMnHC
08-25-2006, 06:23 PM
yeah i have a whole lot of respect for Dewees now, and i never used to be much of a fan. Dana put it well when he said how much of a gamer Dewees was when he was so composed after losing that much blood. as composed as he was, he was still very woozy towards the end of the second and they probably should have stopped it. he lost a helluva lotta blodd, DAMN!

and since we are talking about pro-wrestlers here, Dewees looked like Ric Flair through out that whole fight LOL! :grinsmile1:

Supe
08-25-2006, 06:32 PM
!
and since we are talking about pro-wrestlers here, Dewees looked like Ric Flair through out that whole fight LOL! :grinsmile1:

Ill say "WHOOOOOO" to that.

AudieMurphy1
08-25-2006, 07:17 PM
that was a fun fight to watch, watching him cover the cut with one hand while elbowing him almost made me laugh props to dewees

Afro
08-25-2006, 07:51 PM
the fight shoulda been stopped.. if Gideons fight was stopped cuz of his cut, this one definently shoulda been stopped... Gideons cut didnt effect his vision at all.. it was obvious that Dewees' cut COULD effect his vision it was pouring over his eyes everytime the doctor checked him or the round ended they had to wipe the blood from his eyes.. it shoulda been stopped but I thought it was a good, close fight.. Gideon took round 2 at the end, Dewees took 1 and 3.

AudieMurphy1
08-25-2006, 07:53 PM
i was suprised it didnt get stopped, but i'm glad it didnt, i've seen alot of fights get stopped that shouldnt, including giddeons

drunksincerity
08-25-2006, 07:55 PM
Hell just watch as the blood was pouring from Dewees right into Rays face.

Granted the kid showed heart by not freaking out, but the fight should have been stopped.

doublea
08-25-2006, 08:26 PM
Hell just watch as the blood was pouring from Dewees right into Rays face.

The blood was not impairing Dewees' vision... but it may have impaired Gideon Ray's!

It's always nice to see a guy bleed like a stuck pig! Oh, for the days of Abdula the Butcher (wrestling reference)... now that guy could bleed.

error2k5
08-25-2006, 08:29 PM
If you have Tivo, just rewind and look back, Gideon's cut looked pretty nasty, his skin was literally hanging from the side of his head and it was deeper and bigger. I agree that the amount of blood pouring out of Dewee's head should have been reason for stoppage. It had even gotten to the point where Dewee was bleeding onto the face of Gideon and obscuring his vision.

drunksincerity
08-25-2006, 08:44 PM
The blood was not impairing Dewees' vision... but it may have impaired Gideon Ray's!

It's always nice to see a guy bleed like a stuck pig! Oh, for the days of Abdula the Butcher (wrestling reference)... now that guy could bleed.

You could stick a quarter into the gashes in Abdullahs forehead.

killerinstinct
08-25-2006, 11:24 PM
The cut looked a lot worse than it actually was.It was up high on his forehead and wasn't really affecting him a lot.It was a small cut it just bled a lot ,b/c cuts on the head tend to bleed a lot.I don't really think fights should be stopped ,b/c of cuts if the fighter wants to keep fighting.Good fight.I thought Deweese would be able to easily sub him ,but I guess I was wrong.

Mac
08-26-2006, 12:33 AM
That was retarded, I give Dewees all the credit in the world, but come on, blood was running out of his head like a faucet. It was pouring all over Ray's face, he probably even swallowed some. And anyone who says he didn't lose alot of blood is an idiot. They need to get more consistent with what constitutes a stoppage from a cut. That fight should have been stopped.

duran
08-26-2006, 12:54 AM
i was suprised it didnt get stopped, but i'm glad it didnt, i've seen alot of fights get stopped that shouldnt, including giddeons

Hey AudieMurphy1, do you know who Henry Krinkle is?

duran
08-26-2006, 12:58 AM
I am going to watch the fight again, but i thought Dewees won both the first and second rounds handily. Gideon started to show that losing or surviving body language in the second round. I didn't think it was close.

alahyousious
08-26-2006, 02:23 AM

LOL, Abdula the Butcher that takes me back. I think you just dated yourself lol.

dagreat1
08-26-2006, 03:26 AM
the fight shoulda been stopped.. if Gideons fight was stopped cuz of his cut, this one definently shoulda been stopped... Gideons cut didnt effect his vision at all.. it was obvious that Dewees' cut COULD effect his vision it was pouring over his eyes everytime the doctor checked him or the round ended they had to wipe the blood from his eyes.. it shoulda been stopped but I thought it was a good, close fight.. Gideon took round 2 at the end, Dewees took 1 and 3.

It was a while ago when Gideon's fight was stopped due to the cut, IMO with the Yves fight and how long they let it go they are going to start allowing the blood baths as long as the fighter is still willing to continue and in all honesty, you have to lose much more blood than Dewees or Yves lost to be dangerous though you will statrt to daze a bit but both of them were still composed.

killerinstinct
08-26-2006, 03:28 AM
That was retarded, I give Dewees all the credit in the world, but come on, blood was running out of his head like a faucet. It was pouring all over Ray's face, he probably even swallowed some. And anyone who says he didn't lose alot of blood is an idiot. They need to get more consistent with what constitutes a stoppage from a cut. That fight should have been stopped.
I haven't heard a whole lot of mma fans complaining about a fight NOT BEING STOPPED because of a cut.-lol!I say let them fight.I don't care if they bleed to death if they want to fight let em' fight.

manntis818
08-26-2006, 06:39 AM
the fight should have been stopped ....but dewees... never quit and was blocking the blood with his hand so it wount go on ray...the only time herb dean stopped the fight to clean it up was when the blood went on rays face..... with that cut the doctors were looking close at it and if you can tell ray didnt hit the cut at all much..like one or two good shoots and dewees was just a animal and kept fighting i was happy dewees one or should i say i was happy bam bam won:fingersmilie:

killerinstinct
08-26-2006, 06:46 AM
it was funny on that episode how Carter called out McCarthy's name and said it wasn't him and he just still stood there like a fucking dunce.

dagreat1
08-26-2006, 07:57 AM
It was really gay how they kept calling him Bam Bam during the fight. You know they were like, "fuck, we wound like fags calling this guy Bam Bam" but he is a teamate so they will call him whatever he wants to be called (if he indeed wanted to be called Bam Bam).

Matt Sera is a great corner man, he always knows exactly what to do.

ArMnHC
08-26-2006, 12:07 PM
the fight should have been stopped ....but dewees... never quit and was blocking the blood with his hand so it wount go on ray...the only time herb dean stopped the fight to clean it up was when the blood went on rays face..... with that cut the doctors were looking close at it and if you can tell ray didnt hit the cut at all much..like one or two good shoots and dewees was just a animal and kept fighting i was happy dewees one or should i say i was happy bam bam won:fingersmilie:

guess it's a good thing for Gideon that Dewees doesn't have HIV or something...LOL :grinsmile26:

killerinstinct
08-26-2006, 06:17 PM
guess it's a good thing for Gideon that Dewees doesn't have HIV or something...LOL :grinsmile26:
They get tested for that don't they?Surely they do.

Boo
08-26-2006, 07:22 PM
It was a while ago when Gideon's fight was stopped due to the cut, IMO with the Yves fight and how long they let it go they are going to start allowing the blood baths as long as the fighter is still willing to continue and in all honesty, you have to lose much more blood than Dewees or Yves lost to be dangerous though you will statrt to daze a bit but both of them were still composed.

The Loiseau v Ray fight was Feb 05 at UFC 51. I hadn't heard about or noticed a change in UFC practices regarding cuts. Anyone else?

Last I heard it depended on blood lost and/or obstructing a fighters vision. After losing about 1 liter (2 pints) of blood it is considered medically dangerous. Despite the blood faucet, I don't think it had reached that point yet. It was obstructing his vision in his right eye, but Bam Bam/Baby Face/Terminator still was defending himself and just kept on comin.

IMO, because of the above reasons, keeping it rolling was cool with me, but I've seen a lot of fights stopped for a lot less. The inconsistancy pisses me off and isn't fair to the fighters.

Boo
08-26-2006, 07:24 PM
They get tested for that don't they?Surely they do.

They must or Gideon would've been screaming "get him off me."

dagreat1
08-26-2006, 08:34 PM
The Loiseau v Ray fight was Feb 05 at UFC 51. I hadn't heard about or noticed a change in UFC practices regarding cuts. Anyone else?

Last I heard it depended on blood lost and/or obstructing a fighters vision. After losing about 1 liter (2 pints) of blood it is considered medically dangerous. Despite the blood faucet, I don't think it had reached that point yet. It was obstructing his vision in his right eye, but Bam Bam/Baby Face/Terminator still was defending himself and just kept on comin.

IMO, because of the above reasons, keeping it rolling was cool with me, but I've seen a lot of fights stopped for a lot less. The inconsistancy pisses me off and isn't fair to the fighters.

The last 2 fights with huge cuts were allowed to continue, even though UFC 51 was not that long ago I expect the fights where someone gets a cut on the side of their head to go for a long time as wittnessed in the Yves fight (which should've still continued IMO, Yves still had a great chance to comeback and catch Joe with another combo and drop him).

Boo
08-26-2006, 11:27 PM
The last 2 fights with huge cuts were allowed to continue, even though UFC 51 was not that long ago I expect the fights where someone gets a cut on the side of their head to go for a long time as wittnessed in the Yves fight (which should've still continued IMO, Yves still had a great chance to comeback and catch Joe with another combo and drop him).

I agree, Yves looked like he was still good to go. Can you imagine how pissed Ken would've been if the Yves fight had continued and he won?

killerinstinct
08-26-2006, 11:37 PM
I think that fight was stopped ,b/c Yves corner couldn't stop the bleeding in between rounds.

mattsoper
08-26-2006, 11:39 PM
I agree, Yves looked like he was still good to go. Can you imagine how pissed Ken would've been if the Yves fight had continued and he won?

ken was pissed about them letting the yves fight go and stopping his fight early already...and he has a point...but shamrock did look like he was going limp

now before we get off topic..that fight was a blood bth...it reminded me of yves and stevenson. they were right to keep it going...dewees was defending himself and wanted to continue...plus if he had lost a dangerous amount of blood he wouldn't have been able to keep fighting IMO

SASK_MMA
08-27-2006, 01:08 AM
I hate Gideon for some reason, maybe it's his name or maybe it's because he is really ugly...i just dont like him:devil:

AudieMurphy1
08-27-2006, 01:12 AM
I hate Gideon for some reason, maybe it's his name or maybe it's because he is really ugly...i just dont like him:devil:

i kinda like the guy, comes across as more of a working mans fighter rather than the sexy fighter, he doesnt seem to bright though

Boo
08-27-2006, 08:33 AM
... he doesnt seem to bright though
Why do you think so? I got the opposite impression of him.

Maybe I'm biased. I met him earlier this year at a King of the Cage event and he seemed like a really nice sincere guy, and well spoken.

Brett Ferguson
08-27-2006, 09:19 AM
First off why in the world do most topics suddenly start referencing wrestling? :banghead: Now onto the task at hand. That cut was sick. That is the worst blood bath I have ever seen, not the worst cut, but the worst blood bath. Now I might have mis-read some folks, but are people blaming the UFC for the inconsistency? Doesn't the Athletic Commish supply the doctors? I don't think we need to complain about the UFC here, but I could be wrong. I do understand though that the Yves Edwards fight should have gone on. If I would have been G-Ray I would have thrown up all over Bam Bam (:grinsmile1: ) if all that damn blood hade been pouring all in my face.

warrior06
08-27-2006, 09:24 AM
modern day fighters are fine tuned machines. a top of head cut bleeds worse than it is. vernon whites gash vs vitor was in desperate need of stoppage even tho his eyes were blood free. let the warriors fight!! unless its on the brow

Boo
08-27-2006, 11:39 AM
Doesn't the Athletic Commish supply the doctors? I don't think we need to complain about the UFC here, but I could be wrong.
You're probably right about that, but I really don't know. I'd like to know how much influence, if any, the UFC has with the way fights are run and judged. I'd think it depends on the State the fight is held in too.

If anyone knows how athletic commissions work relative to judging the fights and/or fighter safety with the UFC, please educate me.

Dana, are you listening?

Kewl144
08-27-2006, 04:06 PM
You're probably right about that, but I really don't know. I'd like to know how much influence, if any, the UFC has with the way fights are run and judged. I'd think it depends on the State the fight is held in too.

If anyone knows how athletic commissions work relative to judging the fights and/or fighter safety with the UFC, please educate me.

Dana, are you listening?

The UFC has nothing to do with the ring doctors, doctor stoppages, or the ring side judges.

ccl2087
08-27-2006, 11:20 PM
edwin dewees is a warrior and he gained a lot of respect in my opinion

AudieMurphy1
08-27-2006, 11:30 PM

i agree

killerinstinct
08-28-2006, 11:32 PM
I gained his respect from his fight with Rich franklin.that guy is a trooper.

dagreat1
08-31-2006, 08:06 AM
modern day fighters are fine tuned machines. a top of head cut bleeds worse than it is. vernon whites gash vs vitor was in desperate need of stoppage even tho his eyes were blood free. let the warriors fight!! unless its on the brow

I think you are talking about the Marvin Eastman fight where Vitor landed and a huge knee that left the biggest cut I've ever seen in MMA. Rogan made a comment, something like "it looks like he got hit in the face with an axe", it was on par with the cut and had me laughing.

That cut was just sick.

dagreat1
08-31-2006, 08:09 AM
I gained his respect from his fight with Rich franklin.that guy is a trooper.

For sure, he is hard headed, he will take a beating and keep pushing forward to try and return the favor. A true warrior, I hope UFC keeps him even if he starts lossing fights as he is giving 100% in every second of every round of every fight.

Kewl144
08-31-2006, 08:12 AM
For sure, he is hard headed, he will take a beating and keep pushing forward to try and return the favor. A true warrior, I hope UFC keeps him even if he starts lossing fights as he is giving 100% in every second of every round of every fight.

And he's only 24. MMA fighters tend to hit their prime in their early 30s. I can see Edwin being around the UFC for a long time with a sick record by the time he hits 30. He's already 34 - 9.

Boo
08-31-2006, 12:21 PM
For sure, he is hard headed, he will take a beating and keep pushing forward to try and return the favor. A true warrior, I hope UFC keeps him even if he starts lossing fights as he is giving 100% in every second of every round of every fight.Reminds me of Evan Tanner. I feel the same way about him.

steelebone
08-31-2006, 03:14 PM
They test for hiv, hepatitius ect.