PDA

View Full Version : Chck says he's going to Knock Silva out

MasterShake
10-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Las Vegas, NV (USA) – For years, UFC® fight fans have speculated about the outcome of a historic dream matchup between two legendary figures in the sport of mixed martial arts, Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva. Tonight, on Spike TV’s 2007 Scream Awards, UFC President Dana White announced that this dream will finally become a reality when UFC and PRIDE former champions Chuck “The Iceman” Liddell and “The Axe Murderer” Wanderlei Silva face each other at UFC 79: NEMESIS live from the Mandalay Bay Events Center Saturday, December 29, 2007.

“Chuck and Wanderlei – two legends in the sport – will face off in the most important match of their careers at UFC 79,” said Dana White, UFC President. “Chuck and Wanderlei have both wanted this fight for as long as they can remember, and this is definitely the fight that fans have waited for years to see. Finally, PRIDE’s most dangerous striker will face the UFC’s most dangerous striker, and the world will know after years of speculation who will win and who will lose this fight.”

Tickets for UFC 79: NEMESIS are on sale now and are priced at $1,000, $750, $500, $300, $200 and $100. Tickets are available through any Mandalay Bay box office and all Las Vegas Ticketmaster locations (select Smith’s Food and Drug Centers, Macy’s West at the Fashion Show Mall and Ritmo Latino). To charge by phone with a major credit card, call the Mandalay Bay box office at (702) 632-7580 or Ticketmaster at (702) 474-4000. Tickets also are available for purchase at www.ufc.com, www.mandalaybay.com or www.ticketmaster.com.

A special Internet ticket pre-sale is available now to UFC newsletter subscribers. To access this presale, users must register for the UFC newsletter through www.ufc.com.

There also will be a special auction for Octagon-side floor seats available only through www.ticketmaster.com starting Wednesday, October 24 and ending Monday, November 5.

UFC 79: NEMESIS is available live on pay-per-view at 10 p.m. EST/7 p.m. PST on iN DEMAND, DIRECTV, DISH Network, TVN, Bell ExpressVu, Shaw Communications and Viewer’s Choice Canada for a suggested retail price of $39.95 ($39.99 CAD) and $49.95 for HD where available.

Liddell (20-5), considered by many to be the greatest light heavyweight fighter of all time, reigned as the 205-pound UFC champion for over three years. He knocked out seven opponents in seven consecutive fights, including Randy Couture (twice), Vernon White, Jeremy Horn, Renato “Babalu” Sobral and Tito Ortiz (twice), before he was defeated by Quinton “Rampage” Jackson at UFC 71 in May. Chuck now returns to the Octagon to face the fighter he has wanted to fight for years – Wanderlei Silva.

“I’m excited this fight with Wanderlei is finally happening,” said Liddell. “I’ve been saying for a long time that, given the chance, I would knock Wanderlei Silva out. I think this will be a great fight for the fans, and one that lives up to their expectations, because I’m going to hit him until he falls down and stays down.”

The 31-year old Silva (31-7-1), known by fight fans as “The Axe Murderer” for his ultra-aggressive style and finishing ability, began his career almost 11 years ago in his native Brazil, fighting in Vale Tudo bouts that pushed him to the limit as he honed the skills that would soon make him one of the most feared fighters on the planet. He met great success by winning the PRIDE organization’s middleweight championship and defeating the likes of current UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Quinton Jackson (twice), Dan Henderson, Kazushi Sakuraba (three times), Ricardo Arona, Hidehiko Yoshida, and Kazuyuki Fujita, while engaging in some of the most memorable fights in MMA history. Well-rested after his February PRIDE fight against Dan Henderson, Silva is ready to take on Liddell and secure the most important victory of his mixed martial arts career.

“I’ve wanted to fight Chuck for a long time,” said Silva. “I think about this fight a lot, our styles are very similar – we are both great strikers. I’m training very hard, because I want to give my next victory to my fans. After I beat Chuck, then I want to fight the champion.”

In addition to Liddell vs. Silva, UFC 79 features the main event welterweight championship matchup between UFC champion Matt Serra (16-4) and former UFC champion Matt Hughes (43-5).

Current UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra, fresh off his knockout victory over Georges St-Pierre in April, looks to defend his title for the first time against the legendary Hughes and secure his own legacy in the UFC 170-pound division. Hughes, a two-time UFC champion with seven combined title defenses to his name, has a deadly ground game that has earned him wins over St-Pierre, BJ Penn, Chris Lytle, Royce Gracie, and Frank Trigg (twice).

For more information about UFC 78, The Ultimate Fighter 6 Finale, UFC 79 or any upcoming UFC event, visit www.ufc.com or uk.ufc.com. All bouts are live and subject to change.

Wow Chuck is modest as ussual, I think Silva is going to take this hands down, Chuck is going to swing wild and Silva is going to smash his head with a knee and get KTFO

kingrobert
10-24-2007, 07:27 PM
Has there ever been a fighter that Chuck didnt say he was going to KO?? I like Chuck but I think Wandy is going to beat him. Wandy is a way better striker then Jardine is and he was really putting it to Chuck. Wandy also is agressive and pushes the action and Chuck has problems with fighters that do that. Wandy also has those killer knees.

If Chuck loses his 3rd in a row I wonder if he will retire then?? Good chance that could happen

MONSONBYCHOKE
10-24-2007, 07:51 PM
THE SPORT has passed Chuck. Wandy is going to beat him very badly. You can't keep wining in this sport by having just a right hand and a decent spraw. Sorry Chuck, Ice age is over.

Ramma
10-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Last time Chuck made a KO prediction, it didn't work well for him.

Go Wandy Go!

Noob
10-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Chck, isn't that a cologne or something?

MasterShake
10-24-2007, 08:24 PM
Last time Chuck made a KO prediction, it didn't work well for him.

Go Wandy Go!

I know he needs to stop saying that we know his game plan. How weird would it be if Wnady went out there faked a punch and got Chuck to the ground, I think that could be such a surprising strategy it could work and work good, Wandy has a very solid ground game, I believe he is a BB in BJJ if I'm not mistaken, and we know how Chuck is once he gets to the ground, as long as he doesn't stand straight up like he has done in the past I think it could work it would definetly surprise some people.

And I do think your right about the cologne.

CHUCKtheCHAMP
10-24-2007, 09:07 PM
chuck by ko...

there styles just match up right for chuck to get the ko...wandy has a weak chin, is super aggressive and wild and likes to bang...chuck has ko power in any hand and is a great counter striker who feeds off agressive forward moving fighters...like wandy...

Gmunit
10-24-2007, 09:15 PM
Chck, isn't that a cologne or something?

i thought he meant Cheick

MasterShake
10-24-2007, 09:16 PM
chuck by ko...

there styles just match up right for chuck to get the ko...wandy has a weak chin, is super aggressive and wild and likes to bang...chuck has ko power in any hand and is a great counter striker who feeds off agressive forward moving fighters...like wandy...

I wouldn't say he has a weak chin or atleast any weaker then Chucks, they've both been knocked out, and ony one of Wandy's was from a punch, and come on you get hit by that overhand from Hendo and I dont care who you are your going down. As far as Chuck being a counter striker I like to watch him fight but he is just a striker, there isn't anything technical about his punches except the fact the technically knock someone out almost everytime. Thats why I brought up Wandy's ground game no one would see it coming the way these two say they want to knock the other out, I don't think Wandy will take it to the ground because he wants to please the fans but I think it would be a good secret weapon.

War Wandy War!!!!!

orion_damage
10-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Sucks that Chuck isn't really being given a chance, but I wouldn't count him out. Personally I really don't care as long as it goes beyond 1 round and is a back and forth battle. BUT, if I had to pick someone I'd go with good ole Wandy, if he throws Chuck off his rhythm and get inside for a little clinch then I see the Iceman goin down again. Amazing PPV though, Serra/Hughes Liddell/Wandy

:rtrp:

TN94z
10-24-2007, 10:00 PM
If Chuck stands around and waits for the KO then Wandy will take it fairly quickly. I think people would be surprised by Chuck's ground game. I mean he stands right back up everytime he is taken down, so who is to say that he would be bad on the ground. I also think that Chuck will KO Wandy. Everyone knows he has the power and he really has something to prove now. Then he has the kicks on top of that. If he would push the action a little more instead of waiting on that big KO, then he would have probably won his last fight. Even though you know someone's game plan, if they don't make a mistake and they are on that level, it is still hard to get around that game plan. Rampage has the same game plan, Sherk has the same game plan, all the top BJJ guys have the same game plan....if they are good at it, it works no matter what.

Steel
10-25-2007, 06:44 AM
With all due respect to Chuck, he says that about EVERY fighter he faces. It's the same interview and commentary with every fight he takes.

Go Silva.

dbader08
10-25-2007, 06:54 AM
LMAO This sport isnt passing up chuck at all.. Chuck just needs to come in and be more agressive, and a bit less predictable. If chuck works his ass off in training and comes in focused, i think he gets the KO.

CEVANS
10-25-2007, 10:57 PM
Styles make fights and chuck has the style to really hurt wandy,remember the stright right that tito hit wandy with and made him face plant,i think it was saku that did the same thing.he was not ko'ed but he was droped by both.now just think about chucks stright right.chuck wants a guy coming in throwing wide shots and we all know wandy is going to give him that opening for a big stright right hand.

TN94z
10-26-2007, 02:38 PM
Styles make fights and chuck has the style to really hurt wandy,remember the stright right that tito hit wandy with and made him face plant,i think it was saku that did the same thing.he was not ko'ed but he was droped by both.now just think about chucks stright right.chuck wants a guy coming in throwing wide shots and we all know wandy is going to give him that opening for a big stright right hand.

Even with that being said, I think Chuck will be in trouble if he stands back and waits like he has been doing. But I agree that Chuck will KO Wandy. Like you said, his style is good for Chuck.

Grapplepit28
10-26-2007, 04:22 PM
Regardless of Chuck's previous two fights, I truly believe that this is going to be an entertaining war. Chuck's problems as of late are not a result of the sport passing him by at all, but rather he and his camp becomming complacent. Chuck (because he hasn't had to) had stopped training as a mixed martial artist, and instead focused entirely on stopping the takedowns and striking with people who are trying to take him down. This is entirely due to the fact that the UFC matched him up with wrestler after wrestler after wrestler durring his title reign and even beforehand. His bad habits became very apparent in the Rampage and Jardine fights, and even before in the second Tito fight. His stance and footwork is that of someone who is trying to avoid the takedown, which is fine until you face somebody who isn't trying to take you down. Then it just allows you to eat leg kicks, body kicks, etc just like Chuck did in the Jardine fight. We know Chuck has fantastic wrestling ability, is competent on the ground, and is a fantastic aggressive kickboxer. But, if he chooses to leave all those skills on the shelf and focus entirely on counterpunching and trying to knock somebody out with one shot then he won't fare well at all against people who actually come in looking to stand up with him. Jardine had a perfect gameplan against this new chuck; he was able to keep his leg planted wide right out in front of him because he knew chuck would not be going for any thai kicks or attempting to take him down. Had Chuck even attempted one takedown it would have changed the whole dynamic of the fight, thrown jardine off his gameplan and he probably would have won the fight. I think what this fight will come down to is how Chuck chooses to train. Will he continue to train to fight Horn, Ortiz, Babalu, etc... or will he come out as the Chuck of old who chopped down Jeff Monson with incredibly intelligent gameplanning? That's what will determine where this fight ends up in the record books.

Catalyst
10-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Regardless of Chuck's previous two fights, I truly believe that this is going to be an entertaining war. Chuck's problems as of late are not a result of the sport passing him by at all, but rather he and his camp becomming complacent. Chuck (because he hasn't had to) had stopped training as a mixed martial artist, and instead focused entirely on stopping the takedowns and striking with people who are trying to take him down. This is entirely due to the fact that the UFC matched him up with wrestler after wrestler after wrestler durring his title reign and even beforehand. His bad habits became very apparent in the Rampage and Jardine fights, and even before in the second Tito fight. His stance and footwork is that of someone who is trying to avoid the takedown, which is fine until you face somebody who isn't trying to take you down. Then it just allows you to eat leg kicks, body kicks, etc just like Chuck did in the Jardine fight. We know Chuck has fantastic wrestling ability, is competent on the ground, and is a fantastic aggressive kickboxer. But, if he chooses to leave all those skills on the shelf and focus entirely on counterpunching and trying to knock somebody out with one shot then he won't fare well at all against people who actually come in looking to stand up with him. Jardine had a perfect gameplan against this new chuck; he was able to keep his leg planted wide right out in front of him because he knew chuck would not be going for any thai kicks or attempting to take him down. Had Chuck even attempted one takedown it would have changed the whole dynamic of the fight, thrown jardine off his gameplan and he probably would have won the fight. I think what this fight will come down to is how Chuck chooses to train. Will he continue to train to fight Horn, Ortiz, Babalu, etc... or will he come out as the Chuck of old who chopped down Jeff Monson with incredibly intelligent gameplanning? That's what will determine where this fight ends up in the record books.

couldn't have said it better myself... rep'd!

TN94z
10-26-2007, 04:43 PM

Right. That is why eveyone has been saying that he needs to change his game plan or even change camps. This is not new news by any means. He has been fighting the same way for a long time relying on the one punch. He has always had a very good arsenal....he just hasn't used it. I'm surpised he has just now started getting beat.

SumsNews
10-30-2007, 07:04 AM
THE SPORT has passed Chuck. Wandy is going to beat him very badly. You can't keep wining in this sport by having just a right hand and a decent spraw. Sorry Chuck, Ice age is over.
Ouch lol.

Had Chuck even attempted one takedown it would have changed the whole dynamic of the fight, thrown jardine off his gameplan and he probably would have won the fight.
Has he ever taken anyone down? I don't think he'd know what to do tbh, he's one dimensional. His mindset for the Jardine fight was the main reason why he lost. He underestimated Jardine and tried to get into his head. Every time he had a chance to speak about the fight he said, "it's going to be fun".

bobcat
10-31-2007, 12:14 PM
I would expect Wandy to take this and quite easily too, but with all the upsets this year, who knows what wil happen.