PDA

View Full Version : Best Thing in your game

ozzy2525
10-27-2007, 02:46 AM
So guys what is the best thing in your game, the thing that you can go to whenever you want, or just the best part of your game.

Do you have a sick guard, or can you pass the guard like no other, can you armbar any gy from anywhere?
For me at least i can get mount Vs anyone my size from side contorl, and in Gi I can Armbar anyone my size from mount.

Noob
10-27-2007, 02:53 AM
I have a solid guard. Not impossible to pass, but average I guess. I utilize grapevines well, and have a good elevator sweep/kimura combo. I am okay at taking the back. My armbars suck.

My guard is definitely the best part of my game. Other than that, the Salaverry position is my other biggest strength. I have a lot of offense from that position.

ufobydeath
10-27-2007, 02:59 AM
I have a tight guard (I used to be able to make guys tap just by tightening my guard) and powerful legs, so any submission that allows me to utilize my legs will usually be tight as hell. However my bottom game is horrible! The one thing I'm really good at is leglocks, more specifically: the achilles lock. It seems like I can catch anybody with that and get the tap with little to no effort.
I'm really not comfortable on my back though and I hate to play guard.

Noob
10-27-2007, 03:08 AM
I'm really not comfortable on my back though and I hate to play guard.

I am the total opposite of this, as I am very uncomfortable in someone's guard, but feel completely at home on my back. I would rather start in guard than be in someone else's guard.

ufobydeath
10-27-2007, 03:36 AM
I am the total opposite of this, as I am very uncomfortable in someone's guard, but feel completely at home on my back. I would rather start in guard than be in someone else's guard.

Yeah, I can see your point with that as the guard is a very controlled position. Still, being in someone's guard isn't that bad for me, mainly because I'm good at leglocks and countering armbars and triangles from the guard.

Palma
10-27-2007, 04:11 AM
Takedown Denfense!

Noob
10-27-2007, 04:21 AM
Takedown Denfense!

Lol, surprise surprise.

Palma
10-27-2007, 05:26 AM
Lol, surprise surprise.

Actually, the one real BJJ thing I have been getting almost everytime are a couple different sweeps from Spider Guard... I love me some Spider Guard...

kaiz77
10-27-2007, 05:36 AM
I am extremely comfortable with my guard.....flower sweeps all day long and I love the triangle.....I hit it from mount probably about 75% when I set it up well.....

Id love to get the leglock game into my arsenal!!!......love em...just dont drill them as I should....

strife
10-27-2007, 06:06 AM
I've personally been told by the people I train with (blue belts, head instructor, etc) that my guard is nasty.....so I guess that's the best thing in my game. I'm just really good at working submissions and re-gaining the guard if they fail.

Kimuras"R"Us
10-27-2007, 07:04 AM
Everyone I roll with regardless of rank or size say I'm explosive as hell. I just have really powerful hips which help a ton in sweeps and also getting out of a bad situations. That and my balance / control while in a dominant position is really good.

I used to be terrible off my back but have worked almost 90% on that in the last couple months, and it's coming along rather nicely.

NixHex
10-27-2007, 10:46 AM
My rubber guard is feeling better & better after every training session, and is becoming my biggest strength. People just aren't comfortable when you have that leg pulling behind their neck, and it's so easy to transition to subs from rubber guard. My top game is strong, i'm only 165 but my instructors tell me I feel 220 when i'm rolling, and i'm strong at taking the back.

I'm still not as comfortable as i'd like to be subbing from (or being held in) full guard, mainly I just control posture & set up the rubber guard. I'm too hesitant to open my legs and hips to try and pull subs from full guard. I'll be working on that extensively though. And i'm still not strong enough at going from half-guard to full guard as i'd like to be, I mainly look for sweeps or start a scramble from half guard.

Brandon
10-27-2007, 05:58 PM
I love triangles. It's the first thing I look for from gaurd, one of the top five I go to from mount and side control. I also like doing a cross-over sweep/ kimura combo. If that arm posts out I've gotten pretty quick at snatchin it up.

Frasedog
10-31-2007, 10:01 PM
I work best from side. I'm physically strong and can get a lot of kimuras and americana's. One of my favorite setups is side, to kasagatame, to north/south, into kimura. Also knee on belly, to mount, or to arm bar if they give it. Im getting pretty good at heel hooks also. Always get them in transition.

Ubermensch
11-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Sense I trained in just Normal JJ I am great with arm drags and Leg drags... My chokes rock once I get my hooks into you too. I guess I have been told my hooks are crazy.

willieshatner
11-02-2007, 07:45 PM
probably speed and mobility are my biggest assets. I get a lot of mileage out of taking peoples' backs

I've also been told my grip is strong and I'm generally hard to finish

sandywh
11-05-2007, 12:48 AM
Sense I trained in just Normal JJ I am great with arm drags and Leg drags... My chokes rock once I get my hooks into you too. I guess I have been told my hooks are crazy.
I've also got the majority of my experience in classic JJ and wrestling, so I'd say throws and arm triangles would be my best game. I've got really powerful legs which allow me to posture myself or opponent into high enough position in order to get the arms locked in. Its funny though as having wrestled since Middle school, I get swept pretty easily. I'm too aggressive when working offense.

Bullock
11-05-2007, 03:24 AM
I have really good endurance. When I am rolling, or sparring I can go for a long time, and it's the same with jogging. I can't go that fast, lol, but I can go for a while. And I can take a decent punch. I have been sucker punched a few times and I never really felt it until the next day and my jaw hurt.

NixHex
11-05-2007, 03:25 AM
I pretty much suck all around. But I'm sure If I stick with it I will someday have a stregth.
Just acknowledge what you need work on and stick with it, you'll be fine.

ScottS
11-05-2007, 09:12 AM
NorthSouth.

notrightn0w
12-01-2007, 10:14 PM
I have little to no problem scoring a slam.

My take down defense is suspect, but I usually instantly get a guillotine or arm triangle, after being dropped.

AJL416AZ
12-01-2007, 10:50 PM
my best game is probably my top game and guard passing, especially the open guard. i like to pass and get side mount, where i like arm triangles and the transition step over to north south kimura
lately im working a lot improve my guard though

my worst game is probably takedown defense. once they get ahold, if they keep going i normally get taken down.

Pythonfighter14
12-02-2007, 04:40 PM
I have good takedowns and good takedown defense, pretty much stuff you learn in Wrestling. If you were to just ask BJJ skills well I dont have a very good guard but I can pass them very well.

Misfits138
12-16-2007, 04:18 AM
For some reason, I really like the side mount. The kimura and americana are right there or I can fake one and take mount. I have striking elbow pads, so if we're doing a Vale Tudo sparring class I like to make the other guy eat elbows from the side mount. I don't like being on my back much, but I've been landing good triangles from there lately. I need to make more of an effort to work on my sweeps from there.

mcdev88
12-16-2007, 10:17 PM
i scramble very well. when i get taken down alot of times i am right back up or in a better position that te person who scored the TD.

also a can get an arm bar from almost anywhere. alot of time they are real unorthodox but it makes guys tap.

TriangleChoke
01-08-2008, 07:48 AM
high singles, and just take a look at my username, people :grinsmile2: ...i've got long legs so i always try working the rubber guard if on my back..if things wont work out from mission control, i'd start throwing bows (if in a fight, obviously not in bjj match)..i'm kind of a big guy..i've got decent sized arms but i've got some sickly pencil sharpened elbows..no shit

mcdev88
01-08-2008, 11:39 PM
high singles, and just take a look at my username, people :grinsmile2: ...i've got long legs so i always try working the rubber guard if on my back..if things wont work out from mission control, i'd start throwing bows (if in a fight, obviously not in bjj match)..i'm kind of a big guy..i've got decent sized arms but i've got some sickly pencil sharpened elbows..no shit
same here man. ive got long legs and arms which really get the rubber guard going. what i have been doing alot lately is faking a triangle and doin an omaplata or gogoplata.

Beowulf
01-08-2008, 11:51 PM
havent done any formal training in a year or so, but before it was my endurance and takedown D, i only wrestled in middleschool and freshmen year of high school, but for some reason it just kinda comes natural to me

Warrior Mac
01-10-2008, 07:00 AM
mine is rear naked choke YouTube - Charlie Bankuti Joslins 2007 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=VPf6xgzw8sI)

brutejitsu
10-18-2010, 05:08 AM
My top game,,,,, all my years of wrestling( 14 years) comes in handy!!!!!

IsodPrime
10-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Mines would be side mount where I can either kimura, americana, crucifix neck crank, or my personal favorite, transitioning into the north south.

CHAEL fan
10-21-2010, 09:38 PM
Damn good wrestler with cardio for days.

TheKidInside
11-03-2010, 08:00 PM
my relentlessness. I don't stop coming and I don't quit, where I am mounted even. like last night's training session for example. I am 156-160 tops and I had a 230 lb wrestler and power lifter on top of me and I was able to hip out and tripod over for a sweep, I was damn tired from 3 rounds prior to this one (8 minute rounds) but still passed his closed guard, he regained it, tried to sweep me and in the scramble I grabbed a hold of a McKinzitine (from TUF haha) and choke him silly.

I am also lanky and crafty at baiting. I took another kid's back yesterday at a later round and baited him into a fall sense of security by letting one of my hooks go, then spun around for an armbar. the second time choke him silly with a Fedor-esque forearm choke :)

KnowledgeKnown
12-03-2010, 08:43 PM
My take downs. If I can touch you, I can take you down. wrestled for about 15 years, and excelled in judo. I can usually hit a sag headlock into and arm triangle seamlessly.

AngryJohnny
12-03-2010, 09:34 PM
My double jointed rubber arms that allow me to get man-handled for an extra minute or two before the guy(s) twisting me into a pretzel gets bored with attempting arm bars and decides to choke me out instead.

Pasha K
07-05-2011, 10:47 AM
I feel very comfortable when someone is in my guard. And I serioulsy detest being in someone´s guard. When someone is in my guard I can try triangle, kimura, armbar, guillotine and other stuff.

I think my best strenght are the chokes, I have choked many people with triangles, guillotines and RNCs. For the leglocks I am not that bad either. For armbars (specially from guard) I still need a lot of work.

LefthookStcrook
07-05-2011, 01:20 PM
HOLY old thread lol.

I feel very comfortable when someone is in my guard. And I serioulsy detest being in someone´s guard.

Im with you on this one.

I actually love being on my back and having someone in my guard, Im all about the armbars and triangles from the bottom. I seem to have pretty good reaction time and naturally long legs. I Love sinking in the triangle and hooking the leg. Im kind of known for my left as well.

I find I have a hard time passing someone else's guard. Half guard leaves me very open to my skinny arms and wrist being attacked. Ive broken many bones and Im very vulnerable here.

If im on top, I got to be in a very dominate posistion like side control or mount to be comfortable. My wrestling/trips/TDS are pretty shitty, so that usually only comes from scrambling.

Ive trianed JJ for about 4-5 years off n on, trained Boxing for 2-3 years when I was like 16-17, never had any real fights or anything.

Fear My Hammer Fist
07-07-2011, 06:05 PM
I have very large arms for a guy my size and have never had to let go of any form of arm choke because it wasn't working. I've had guys tap when simply practicing form and I wasn't even squeezing yet.

I have a ridiculously easy time choking guys with my arms and that's by far the best aspect of my grappling, which otherwise isn't very good!