PDA

View Full Version : I am not happy with the new rep system.

jokerthief
10-27-2007, 01:52 AM
I'm assuming that the daily amount of rep that a user can give out in a 24 hour period has recently changed because today I reached my limit and I could not have given out more than 5 reps.

I don't quite get this whole rep debate. So there were some longtime users who were gaming the system to achieve more rep. So what? What good does more rep do you once you hit 75? Nothing, other than the fact that it allows us all another way of expressing ourselves. The point of rep is to be able to quickly drop a note of approval on posts that one deems worthy. Sometimes that means you won't rep anyone in a day or two. Other times it means that you will hand out 10, 15, or even 20 reps in a day. The amount of time a user spends on this site, along with the quality of posts during that time period can vary greatly.

I've always thought that the value of the rep system was the user to user feedback, not the aggregate value of total rep. Therefore, I think limiting the number of reps a user can give out in a day limits the value of an inherently good system. If there has to be a limit, I think it should be higher, say 20.

To summarize, I don't think that we should allow a handful of users who have gamed the system to greatly limit the greatest value that the rep system has. Most days I won't even give out a rep, but I feel like I should be allowed to give out 20 in a day when the quality of the posts warrant it. It would be a shame if the cure was worse than the disease. In this instance I truly think that is the case.

valheruking
10-27-2007, 02:39 AM
The amount of rep you are capable of giving out in a 24hr period hasnt changed as far as i am aware.

jokerthief
10-27-2007, 02:43 AM
The amount of rep you are capable of giving out in a 24hr period hasnt changed as far as i am aware.

Then what is the exact amount of reps that a user can give out in a 24 hour period?

Noob
10-27-2007, 02:53 AM
Then what is the exact amount of reps that a user can give out in a 24 hour period?

Right now it is 5 reps per day, with 10 reps until you can rep the same person twice.

The issue was with some people handing out handfuls of rep every day (I think the old number was 20), and when you get 20-30 people doing that on a daily basis it gets out of hand real quick.

It's not an ideal situation, and it punishes a lot of innocent members unfortunately. It's a case of a few ruining it for the many. If it works, it will stay. If it becomes very unpopular and obviously not sufficiently effective compared to the outcry it produces, then it will be changed. There's no hard science to this, we're trying to keep things in line but we're trying to enact policies that people will have a hard time finding their way around.

But since we have to wait until people react to the rules we put in place, we are always a step behind. We have to react to everything unfortunately. So it is with this one as well. If people hate it and it doesn't fix the problem, it will be changed. If it works flawlessy, then it will remain.

valheruking
10-27-2007, 03:00 AM
Ah, i was wrong.

Noob
10-27-2007, 03:04 AM
Ah, i was wrong.

Damnit. We are going to need to do a job-performance evaluation on you soon. You are just fucking up left and right, and you haven't put covers on any of your TPS reports. Did you get the memo?

jokerthief
10-27-2007, 03:13 AM
Right now it is 5 reps per day, with 10 reps until you can rep the same person twice.

The issue was with some people handing out handfuls of rep every day (I think the old number was 20), and when you get 20-30 people doing that on a daily basis it gets out of hand real quick.

It's not an ideal situation, and it punishes a lot of innocent members unfortunately. It's a case of a few ruining it for the many. If it works, it will stay. If it becomes very unpopular and obviously not sufficiently effective compared to the outcry it produces, then it will be changed. There's no hard science to this, we're trying to keep things in line but we're trying to enact policies that people will have a hard time finding their way around.

But since we have to wait until people react to the rules we put in place, we are always a step behind. We have to react to everything unfortunately. So it is with this one as well. If people hate it and it doesn't fix the problem, it will be changed. If it works flawlessy, then it will remain.

Well, I think you are neutering one of the greatest values of the rep system. Most days I do not need to give out 5 reps, yet other days I need to give out 15. I think a better way of policing the system is to instill fear into the hearts of those who game the system. Reduce their rep by 90% if they are caught. But please, by no means limit the expression of those of us who play by the rules. It is not fair but more importantly, it undermines the rep system itself which is responsible for much of what makes this site so special.

Personally, I would much rather a handful of users have an inflated overall rep and be able to express myself on a rep to rep basis than restrict the few users who game the system and also restrict everyone else who is honestly using the site. I think that the site will be harmed more with the restrictive rep policy than with the liberal one in which some users abuse.

It you guys are able to detect the "rep fraud" (is that the right term?), then you can punish it harshly enough to deter it. Positive feedback is what drives most forum posters. It's what drives people to excellence. It should only be limited in the most extreme circumstances. I don't think this is one of them.

JTS
10-27-2007, 03:24 AM
jokerthief for Prez in '08!!!:grinsmile1:

Noob
10-27-2007, 03:32 AM
Lol. Jokerthief, I think you are going to become the champion of all new members who disagree with the rep system. Lol, despite the fact that your message is a critique of the system, and not a disagreement with the core premise, I think you are going to find yourself a very popular man with a large segment of people who read only enough of your post to think that you are trying mightily to tear down the Berlin wall that is the rep system, lol.

Clint
10-27-2007, 03:37 AM
I can see the arguement for giving out more than 5 a day and more harshly punishing the people repping for no reason.

What about possibly bumping the number of reps per day back up to 10 but increasing the # of reps required before repping the same user. Thats always an option to test.

jokerthief
10-27-2007, 03:53 AM
I can see the arguement for giving out more than 5 a day and more harshly punishing the people repping for no reason.

What about possibly bumping the number of reps per day back up to 10 but increasing the # of reps required before repping the same user. Thats always an option to test.

I think that is a very good compromise. Sometimes I need to give out 15 well deserved reps in a day, but those times are very few. Five is too few and ten is a good compromise. Increasing the # of reps before repping the same user is also fair. Again, I would be happy with this compromise.

I just want to say (to address Noob's latest post) that the Admins at this site really do a great job. I'm a member of quite a few forums and none of them are run as well as this one. None. This site is really special for how non-egocentric the admins and mods are. The last thing I want to become is a populist leader against the admins, lol.

Noob
10-27-2007, 04:01 AM
I just want to say (to address Noob's latest post) that the Admins at this site really do a great job. I'm a member of quite a few forums and none of them are run as well as this one. None. This site is really special for how non-egocentric the admins and mods are. The last thing I want to become is a populist leader against the admins, lol.

Lol, no, I know that's not what you're doing. Your point was a valid one, and was brought up perfectly. I could just see this becoming a soap box for people who half-read your post and saddled up an argument to grind their axe with the rep system as a whole.

But we're all good. All good in the hood.

Dork8503
10-27-2007, 05:26 AM
I think that is a very good compromise. Sometimes I need to give out 15 well deserved reps in a day, but those times are very few. Five is too few and ten is a good compromise. Increasing the # of reps before repping the same user is also fair. Again, I would be happy with this compromise.

WELL YOU KNOW WHAT IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, YOU CAN JUST START A NEW THREAD LOL

just messing with you man

Unreal
10-27-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm really liking the new rep system, although I haven't seen its results. Did you take rep away from the people doing this? If not then there's not much of a point of changing the system because the damage is done. I've seen quite a couple of users (who I'm not going to mention) with a high amount of rep, and then I start thinking of the last time I read a good post/thread from them and I can't remember.

Bullock
10-27-2007, 03:16 PM
I say make it one a day.

That's right.

Gmunit
10-27-2007, 04:57 PM
if you KNOW you can't give out more than 5 reps a day, you better choose wisely as to who gets them

Clint
10-27-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm really liking the new rep system, although I haven't seen its results. Did you take rep away from the people doing this? If not then there's not much of a point of changing the system because the damage is done. I've seen quite a couple of users (who I'm not going to mention) with a high amount of rep, and then I start thinking of the last time I read a good post/thread from them and I can't remember.
Yeah we are in teh process of lowering their reps. It's just kind of a slow process.

2mcgrath
10-27-2007, 05:53 PM

yeah, ive saw a few like that,that i havent seen good posts from in awhile

JTS
10-28-2007, 09:39 PM
The last thing I want to become is a populist leader against the admins, lol.

Lol, no, I know that's not what you're doing. Your point was a valid one, and was brought up perfectly. I could just see this becoming a soap box for people who half-read your post and saddled up an argument to grind their axe with the rep system as a whole.

But we're all good. All good in the hood.

Just to make it clear, my post was to make a statement against the few a-holes who spoil it for all the rest of us always honest, do-gooders, never cheat on our taxes/girlfriends/wives, never smoke/drink/curse, walk Grandma across the street, forum members who play by the rules and contribute to the site.:sadsong:

I definitely wasn't complaining about the rep system & mods. I guess I can't expect the MMANews Forum world to be any different from the real world. That's life! :banghead:

Boo
10-29-2007, 11:10 AM
I thought the system was fine the way it was. Deal with the people abusing the system, but leave it alone otherwise.

If I compared this to the workplace, I hate it when a policy is made by managers to punish all for the actions of a few.

BTW, for those that don't know, a lot of the huge reps resulted during the time that a lot more points were given per positive rep. If we had started with the current system there probably wouldn't be anyone with an infinity rep yet.

pimpslappd
11-04-2007, 06:53 PM
I think its stupid I cant access the pics and video section cause someone doesnt like my opinion and I get bad repped. Message board is for opinions and I shouldnt be held outta certain sections in the site because of it, freedom of speech. I have done nothing wrong except voice my opinions on certain topics but of course I get bad repped. I just wanna access the video section and I think it should be unlocked after a certain amount of posts not how many reps becase if someone doesnt like your opinion they will repeatedly bad rep you and get there group of friends on here to bad rep you as well. The board is awesome guys I just hate that fact and with that I am leaving.

valheruking
11-04-2007, 07:40 PM
I think its stupid I cant access the pics and video section cause someone doesnt like my opinion and I get bad repped. Message board is for opinions and I shouldnt be held outta certain sections in the site because of it, freedom of speech. I have done nothing wrong except voice my opinions on certain topics but of course I get bad repped. I just wanna access the video section and I think it should be unlocked after a certain amount of posts not how many reps becase if someone doesnt like your opinion they will repeatedly bad rep you and get there group of friends on here to bad rep you as well. The board is awesome guys I just hate that fact and with that I am leaving.
Please tell me you're joking, you were negged once in the last 2 months.

Dork8503
11-04-2007, 10:00 PM
i think u can give out 10 reps per day, but can no rep the same person until u rep 10 others first.

markzabin
11-04-2007, 10:48 PM
personally I like the rep system the way it is. If you raised the rep per day limit, they would only raise the access amount into the vid/post sections like they just did more often. The only solution that I could see to this is a monthly cap on the rep given out, say 75 times per month. I personally don't rep unless someone makes me laugh or makes a very good point and makes me think outside my box.

Noob
11-05-2007, 05:03 AM
Message board is for opinions and I shouldnt be held outta certain sections in the site because of it, freedom of speech.

There is no freedom of speech here. There is no 1st Amendment. This is a private site, not public domain.

Plus it's run out of an off-shore oil rig in South America. We are currently in the process of petitioning the Republic of Nicaragua for official recognition as a country.

We took a poll and decided to put up a website first. Running water and banana trees come next.

I have done nothing wrong except voice my opinions on certain topics but of course I get bad repped.
You were neg repped once. Once.

I just wanna access the video section The board is awesome guys I just hate that fact and with that I am leaving.

And one more poster in search of a free-ride has vanished. The rep system does its job again.

pimpslappd
11-05-2007, 05:29 AM
I never said a free ride, I posted when I felt need to but was just wondering why I couldnt access it all of a sudden when I could before, oh well.

Jon-E-Law
11-05-2007, 05:47 AM
If you send me 5 bucks I will let you watch the video's.

EDIT: OMG look at your sig. I think you may have fucked up.
lmfao it looks like that is all he cares about. pimslapped just so you know if you ever get in there its like nirvana!

valheruking
11-05-2007, 05:49 AM
That sig= neg.

Jon-E-Law
11-05-2007, 05:54 AM
That sig= neg.
wow why doesnt he just put someone rep me please the only reason im here is to look at the pics and vids section someone rep me please!!!!!!!!

thebwit
11-05-2007, 01:33 PM
What if we limit which forums you can gain rep in? I mean this is a MMA forum so why not just let people be able to get rep in the MMA sections (General, TUF, Dream Matches, Noob City, and then the video)? Sure there are arguments that some post in other forums are worth repping, but for the most part they aren't imo.

I think max I have given out is 2 or 3 in a day with one of those being a neg rep. And while I don't post on here near as much as other people, I am definately on here a ton and read a lot of the forums. I personally can't see the need for 15 in 1 day or even 10 for that matter. If you like the post so much that you are willing to rep it, does that mean you will remember it the next day? By your own addmittance you said some days you give out none, others 15. So by that rule of thumb you have days without giving rep and could therefore use those days to rep the remainder (5 or 10 whatever the rule is now) on those days.

Just a thought.

pimpslappd
11-05-2007, 06:42 PM
I had it before but idiots negative rep me for having an opinion so I lose out on it. I dont care if it only 1 person that bad repped me, its someone that has alot of rep power that destroys whatever good rep I had so I cant access the video section, I never once said I only wanted to be on this site because of the video section because quite frankly if I want any UFC ppv or anything I download torrents. Its the fact I cant access it that bothers me. People that read into what I say and make lies I only want to access it then Im done. Ive been here for a few years, I usually check everyday when I can. I dont have 700000 posts like some people because I dont get into arguments over peoples opinions like half these people. So everyone can think its all about the video section and thats all I wanted, well why the fuck would I be active for years. Ive already had access to it, its just the fact. Thats all I was saying about the rep system was people that dont have alot of good rep can have it all taken away by someone that has alot of rep and doesnt agree with my opinion, THATS ALL I WAS SAYING...Anyways like I said it was a point not me freeloading the video section by any means. Thats all I am saying I appreciate all the eyes reading this.

Edit- I didnt realize it seemed like beggin or whatever, the sig wasnt meant to sound beggin, my bad its all good, I have contributed to the site when I felt nessecary but I never realized it came across as beggin'....

markzabin
11-05-2007, 10:39 PM
I dont have 700000 posts like some people because I dont get into arguments over peoples opinions like half these people.

isn't this one of those arguments?

pimpslappd
11-06-2007, 02:42 AM
^^^yes I was just saying thats why I dont have alot of posts now because this is my first arguement really but its over my own opinion which is resolved now so it was only me defending myself

MONSONBYCHOKE
11-09-2007, 04:51 PM
I know there is a new system to prevent repping people over and over again. Problem is, I am trying to rep someone for something and it says spread the rep points before i can rep them again.

I think this sucks because the people that i rep, I rep because of a good post or find. If i have rep'ed them recently, I do not see what the problem is. This seems to be directed more at people who rep the same people back and fourth intentionally. This is not the case here. Also you guys know that basically the same people take part in most of the convo around here. So wanting to rep someone often for things is going to happen.

Now i just watched a video and thought it was a great find and thus wanted to rep this person but was unable because i got that message again. To be quite honest. I do not remember reping that person before and if i did i would tend to think it was a while ago.

Just figured i would speak my mind. Do not get this confused with me being pissed off or anything. I assure you that is def not the case. I just figured I would let you know how this is affecting me when I try to give out rep points. I totaly see where you are coming from, I am sure there are people who consistantly rep eachother back and fourth for no reason at all. Lots of us do not take part in that and i am one. :grinsmile1:re I would like to give out rep points as i see fit.

the_dark_angel_4ever
11-09-2007, 07:53 PM
I know there is a new system to prevent repping people over and over again. Problem is, I am trying to rep someone for something and it says spread the rep points before i can rep them again.

I think this sucks because the people that i rep, I rep because of a good post or find. If i have rep'ed them recently, I do not see what the problem is. This seems to be directed more at people who rep the same people back and fourth intentionally. This is not the case here. Also you guys know that basically the same people take part in most of the convo around here. So wanting to rep someone often for things is going to happen.

Now i just watched a video and thought it was a great find and thus wanted to rep this person but was unable because i got that message again. To be quite honest. I do not remember reping that person before and if i did i would tend to think it was a while ago.

Just figured i would speak my mind. Do not get this confused with me being pissed off or anything. I assure you that is def not the case. I just figured I would let you know how this is affecting me when I try to give out rep points. I totaly see where you are coming from, I am sure there are people who consistantly rep eachother back and fourth for no reason at all. Lots of us do not take part in that and i am one. :grinsmile1:re I would like to give out rep points as i see fit.

AMEN to that!

I'm sitting at 70 ( I think I need 75 to get back to the vids) and I think I contribute a fair amount.

jbart321
11-10-2007, 04:58 PM
I had it before but idiots negative rep me for having an opinion so I lose out on it. I dont care if it only 1 person that bad repped me, its someone that has alot of rep power that destroys whatever good rep I had so I cant access the video section, I never once said I only wanted to be on this site because of the video section because quite frankly if I want any UFC ppv or anything I download torrents. Its the fact I cant access it that bothers me. People that read into what I say and make lies I only want to access it then Im done. Ive been here for a few years, I usually check everyday when I can. I dont have 700000 posts like some people because I dont get into arguments over peoples opinions like half these people. So everyone can think its all about the video section and thats all I wanted, well why the fuck would I be active for years. Ive already had access to it, its just the fact. Thats all I was saying about the rep system was people that dont have alot of good rep can have it all taken away by someone that has alot of rep and doesnt agree with my opinion, THATS ALL I WAS SAYING...Anyways like I said it was a point not me freeloading the video section by any means. Thats all I am saying I appreciate all the eyes reading this.

Amen. If you have a real opinion and people don't like you, you get negged. I have been up and down on this site all cause of a few assholes negging me. The rep system is BS and is just here to make these sad people feel like they are important since obviously in real life they are not. So, in closing, go fuck yourselves for negative repping me for speaking my mind you little twats. I can get all of this news from other sites, so I don't even know why I still come here.

Fuck all of you who treat newer people and people that actually have an opinion like shit. It goes on all the time here, so much fucking favoritism.

Fuck off.

Noob
11-10-2007, 05:30 PM
go fuck yourselves for negative repping me for speaking my mind you little twats. I can get all of this news from other sites, so I don't even know why I still come here.

Fuck all of you who treat newer people and people that actually have an opinion like shit. It goes on all the time here, so much fucking favoritism.

Fuck off.

This is why you have no rep. Because you act like a fool.

This is also why the rep system is still in place, because the majority of the people with serious complaints about it are people with bad attitudes who don't understand that their behavior is poor, and throw temper tantrums about a system they claim not to think so highly of.

If you really didn't care, you wouldn't be so bitter.

You can find your news elsewhere? Then go. Your constant contributions will be sorely missed.

pimpslappd
11-13-2007, 11:42 PM
I like it and I am gonna work towards gettin rep 110% now. Only thing like I ever said I didnt like was the fact say if Couture fighting Gonzaga, I had a opinion gonzaga was gonna win and thats my opinion and me expressing it which is the point of a message board and some vet that has a million rep points which is a couture nuthugger bad reps me and I lose everything with 1 rep...(I was just sayin an opinion to help explain buddy above noob and my original complaint). I do agree now though that you should have certain reps to access stuff, it makes sense to me.

Palma
11-17-2007, 07:27 PM
I must say the new rep system is pretty stupid. I haven't been able to rep anyone since it's been in place. There just isn't enough quality posters to rep as often as you need to rep the people who should actually be repped. I say do away with it all together or change it back to how it was.

Mac
11-17-2007, 08:48 PM
The new system is having the reverse effect that you are going for. Now I can't rep someone that I've recently rep'd so to do so I have to spread random rep around to people who don't deserve it just to rep someone who does. Kinda defeats the purpose.

NixHex
12-04-2007, 01:17 AM
It seems like everytime I try to rep someone it says to spread it around more first, but that's because I don't really rep anybody. Mods do you have access to all my reps? I'm curious to what it looks like. I always figured it was a reason my rep was still around 500, because I didn't have the Boomerang Rep Effect (which i'd assume is a reason why some not so great posters have extremely high reps).

leelandk
12-04-2007, 03:21 AM
The rep system is no good. It has done nothing but cause alot of problems and friction on the forum.

Bullock
12-04-2007, 11:14 AM
The rep system is no good. It has done nothing but cause alot of problems and friction on the forum.

It keeps spammers and trolls from coming to the site and posting spam/gay porn threads.

strife
12-04-2007, 11:31 AM
It seems like everytime I try to rep someone it says to spread it around more first, but that's because I don't really rep anybody. Mods do you have access to all my reps? I'm curious to what it looks like. I always figured it was a reason my rep was still around 500, because I didn't have the Boomerang Rep Effect (which i'd assume is a reason why some not so great posters have extremely high reps).

I have this same problem, sigh...

I can't rep you for this post and I have no idea how long ago I repped you. Who knows...

Clint
12-04-2007, 02:01 PM
I adjusted it some. It was a bit too high. Now the spread is 10 and the daily limit is 8.

Bullock
12-04-2007, 03:47 PM
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/6294/davidbrentwhatnowbitcheg8.jpg

Steel
12-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Bullock,

Can you edit Dana into the back right replacing that bald dude watching?

Bullock
12-04-2007, 04:53 PM
That's my buddy Gary.

TriangleChoke
12-04-2007, 06:18 PM
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/6294/davidbrentwhatnowbitcheg8.jpg
LMFAO damn it i wish i could rep you again

Noob
12-04-2007, 06:40 PM
I'm in yer systems, changing yer reps.

Clint
12-04-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm in yer systems, changing yer reps.

http://mine.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/Iminyersyste128412657049177500.jpg

Noob
12-04-2007, 07:43 PM
http://mine.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/Iminyersyste128412657049177500.jpg

I'll be damned. They have one of those for everything.

Clint
12-04-2007, 07:46 PM
I'll be damned. They have one of those for everything.
http://icanhascheezburger.com/ has a lolcat builder now

Bullock
12-04-2007, 07:49 PM
lmao awesome

Bullock
12-04-2007, 07:52 PM
http://mine.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/SUCKMYCAWKN128412685686521250.jpg

2mcgrath
12-04-2007, 08:02 PM
I'll sell all my rep for 100 bucks.

Anyone that want it PM me.

I have over 4000, I think.

does the av come with it?and a autograph,and a certificate of authenticity to prove its real

Submissionist
12-04-2007, 08:25 PM
I'll sell all my rep for 100 bucks.

Anyone that want it PM me.

I have over 4000, I think.

Sold......... in vbookie that is.

Here is my attempt lol

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb82/insano1/defaultaspx.jpg

Ramma
12-05-2007, 03:19 PM
The rep system isn't really new anymore.. I think it is time for a thread title change (just kidding)

I will sell my rep for $200, I have over 3000 :thumbsup:

lol, I dunno if rep selling should be legal.

Clint
12-05-2007, 03:34 PM
lol no rep selling (unless I get a cut)

Jon-E-Law
12-06-2007, 02:24 AM
Ill take both of ur reps for 150 each!!!!!!

Gmunit
12-06-2007, 02:33 AM
Ill take both of ur reps for 150 each!!!!!!

neg'd

Jon-E-Law
12-06-2007, 05:19 AM
neg'd

take it easy gmunit ill rep u once I have all that rep.

and sundance i made the check out to sundance kid. thats whats on ur driverlicense right?

Bullock
12-06-2007, 07:24 AM
I will sell my rep for $3.50 and a turkey sandwich. With cheese, yeah?

Noob
12-06-2007, 01:41 PM

Sold!

I looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove turkey sandwiches. Might even make an extra one for me. Tasty!

NixHex
12-10-2007, 05:13 AM
I neg rep'd somebody yesterday, and today they made a post I wanted to positively rep. Would it be possible to allow someone to rep within the normal 10 rep limit if there was 1 pos & 1 neg rep?

Clint
12-10-2007, 01:31 PM
I neg rep'd somebody yesterday, and today they made a post I wanted to positively rep. Would it be possible to allow someone to rep within the normal 10 rep limit if there was 1 pos & 1 neg rep?
Currently there is nothing to allow something like this. I have looked around for upgrades to the rep system that would allow for more granularity in the controls but I haven't found anything yet.

Brutus
12-10-2007, 09:08 PM

i dont have any cheese but if you'd like i'll use some of the fat-free mayonaise my grandparents gave me for christmas.

NixHex
12-11-2007, 12:51 AM
Currently there is nothing to allow something like this. I have looked around for upgrades to the rep system that would allow for more granularity in the controls but I haven't found anything yet.
That's cool, thanks for lookin.

pimpslappd
01-13-2008, 12:26 AM
I wasnt happy with the rep system before, but after thinkin more and more, I think its great. I mean sure you dont get vids section but its a GREAT tool for this forum to get all the members more active within each other, because you have to post more and be more involved which is good cause you meet more people on the fourm, after being disgruntled I quickly realized its definately better this way, Im more then happy being more involved with the threads. My random post lol but I knew I bitched alot before so I gave my update that I fully am behind it and now realize more and more why.

thebwit
01-13-2008, 12:42 AM
I wasnt happy with the rep system before, but after thinkin more and more, I think its great. I mean sure you dont get vids section but its a GREAT tool for this forum to get all the members more active within each other, because you have to post more and be more involved which is good cause you meet more people on the fourm, after being disgruntled I quickly realized its definately better this way, Im more then happy being more involved with the threads. My random post lol but I knew I bitched alot before so I gave my update that I fully am behind it and now realize more and more why.

Good to hear you have come around and see the value in the system.

thebwit
01-13-2008, 12:44 AM
Ok so what I posted shows rep received, but how do you see who you have rep'd?

valheruking
01-13-2008, 01:04 AM
There isn't a list of who you have repped, only the latest rep you recieved.

deeznizzies
01-19-2008, 10:49 PM

i think this is a valid compromise.. i see why one shouldn't be able to give out a limitless number of rep a day but 10 to 15 per session i think is reasonable.. but 5.. that's garbage. it hurts those who deserve a higher rep for their quality posts.

Frag x 3
02-29-2008, 08:32 AM
I think the mods should be handing out much more rep. People rep each other's useless posts because they thought their Family Guy avatar is funny. Then, when you correct someone's stupid comment, they leave you negative feedback because you corrected them and they're embarrassed. I think it's up to the mods to give out the reps mostly. In my experience, they don't do it.

#1taz
02-29-2008, 10:32 AM
Hey Clint...every time I get another positive rep, my thingy grows another millimeter, my dangly bits below it get a tiny bit bigger, and chicks dig me more - but when I get a neg rep, I make dooky in my pants.

Is this supposed to happen???

Clint
02-29-2008, 01:25 PM
I think the mods should be handing out much more rep. People rep each other's useless posts because they thought their Family Guy avatar is funny. Then, when you correct someone's stupid comment, they leave you negative feedback because you corrected them and they're embarrassed. I think it's up to the mods to give out the reps mostly. In my experience, they don't do it.

The mods in general I believe give out a decent amount of rep especially since the admins give out 20 points at a time. I typically go on sprees where I rep and neg all of the good and bad posts I see. I think part of it might just be that we have all had weird circumstances that have kept us off the forums as much as we would like, so we haven't had the time to rep as much as usual

#1taz
02-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Fine. Don't answer me Clint...lol

But seriously..once you have gotten enough positive rep to view everything on the site...rep IMHO kinda becomes sorta not such a big deal anymore. Yeah it's real nice to be able to show appreciation or disapproval to the other posters, but it isn't exactly a life or death situation, is it?

I mean it doesn't give you a bigger woody, doesn't make your coconuts bigger, and it won't get you any nooky. Nor can you trade it for cash to go get a good buzz on. So don't soil yourself if you get neg'ed. Learn from it and move on - I did.

And it's relatively easy to avoid a neg rep when you disagree with someone here if you state your opinion calmly, politely, respectfully, and factually. If you make a mistake, man up and get on with your day. No one likes to be called names, cursed at, or ridiculed. And if you think you are being personally attacked or harassed by anyone here for no reason, tell the staff and let them deal with it. That's why they are here.

Limits on rep's have to be set to prevent abuse. There is a lot of members here, and that's just what you have to do when you deal with the general public on a public forum. You have to restrict the many to controll a few. Maybe I'm getting old, but IMHO I just feel like this is a lot of fuss being made about a little trivial matter...lol

This all reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from an old redneck comedian I met a long time ago named Ollie Joe Prater:

"The optimist will always argue that the glass is half full, the pessimist will always argue that the glass is half empty. All I wanna know is which one of those two sonabitches has been drinking my damn beer."

Frag x 3
02-29-2008, 06:29 PM
I certainly don't want to beg for reputation points. If I ever get enough rep to leave someone negative rep, I'll be neg'ing the first person to beg for it in a public forum. I just felt this thread was a good place to voice my opinion. I lurked here for a long time, so I never even knew the system existed. I saw it under people's names, but I didn't know people gave it to you.

I just think it's stupid that someone can take it away because they think Fedor would dominate GSP and you voiced your differing opinon on the matter.

Clint
02-29-2008, 06:38 PM
I just think it's stupid that someone can take it away because they think Fedor would dominate GSP and you voiced your differing opinon on the matter.

Yeah it's an unfortunate side effect, some people don't use it the way it really should be but as long as you are an overall good poster, it all works out in the end.

Brutus
03-01-2008, 12:32 AM
I really have to say that questions regarding rep are kinda pointless. The more you bitch about rep, the more you will get negged. Its real simple, contribute and you will rec'v what you deserve. Ramma hit the nail on the head IMO. Its not hard, dont be a troll, contribute and you will be rewarded in time.

Frag x 3
03-01-2008, 03:46 AM
Orginally posted by idiot n0Ob:
Fedor is numba 1!!!111

rep me plz!

I might have made that up, but it's the kind of stuff I don't like to see. This is a forum discussing (bitching) about rep, so I figured it fit in here. Complaining about rep in the main forums is sad and it'll backfire in the end.

Boo
03-01-2008, 06:44 AM
Just FYI if anyone wants to butter me up.

Wow Ramma, you look really pretty in that outfit.... and say, have you lost weight?

but when I get a neg rep, I make dooky in my pants.

Is this supposed to happen???

No it's not!!! See your physician immediately!

#1taz
03-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Wow...somebody actually got that joke?

I swear...sometimes this is a tough room to work...lol

Rep'd

Boo
03-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Wow...somebody actually got that joke?

I swear...sometimes this is a tough room to work...lol

Rep'd

You know when you quit having fun it's time to take your toys and go home.

Storm442
03-08-2008, 07:46 PM
D@mn, this thread is still going on ?!?

He-Man
03-08-2008, 07:49 PM

I know, kinda stupid imo.......

:deadhorse: :deadhorse:

Boo
03-09-2008, 04:12 AM

Not exactly. This thread has been officially hijacked. That's right, I'm back to my wicked ways.

Steel
03-09-2008, 06:59 AM
I like tacos.

twankydawg
03-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Fine. Don't answer me Clint...lol

But seriously..once you have gotten enough positive rep to view everything on the site...rep IMHO kinda becomes sorta not such a big deal anymore. Yeah it's real nice to be able to show appreciation or disapproval to the other posters, but it isn't exactly a life or death situation, is it?

I mean it doesn't give you a bigger woody, doesn't make your coconuts bigger, and it won't get you any nooky. Nor can you trade it for cash to go get a good buzz on. So don't soil yourself if you get neg'ed. Learn from it and move on - I did.

And it's relatively easy to avoid a neg rep when you disagree with someone here if you state your opinion calmly, politely, respectfully, and factually. If you make a mistake, man up and get on with your day. No one likes to be called names, cursed at, or ridiculed. And if you think you are being personally attacked or harassed by anyone here for no reason, tell the staff and let them deal with it. That's why they are here.

Limits on rep's have to be set to prevent abuse. There is a lot of members here, and that's just what you have to do when you deal with the general public on a public forum. You have to restrict the many to controll a few. Maybe I'm getting old, but IMHO I just feel like this is a lot of fuss being made about a little trivial matter...lol

This all reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from an old redneck comedian I met a long time ago named Ollie Joe Prater:

"The optimist will always argue that the glass is half full, the pessimist will always argue that the glass is half empty. All I wanna know is which one of those two sonabitches has been drinking my damn beer."

My rep gets me nooky, speak for yourself fucker! LOL

I like tacos.

Mmmmm......I love tacos too....are we talking about the same tacos?

2mcgrath
03-09-2008, 05:58 PM
I like tacos.

me to i like pink tacos alot

Warchief
03-09-2008, 06:05 PM
me to i like pink tacos alot

Yea me three, want some Vodka?

Steel
03-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Yea me three, want some Vodka?

OOO..after some vodka we move on to the bearded clam...