PDA

View Full Version : Best Guard in MMA?

Noob
10-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Who has the best guard in MMA? Not just UFC, but all of MMA.

I know this has been done before in the main section, but I'm bored and figured it merits another run. And I hope there will be less retarded comments since this is the Grappling section.

I left out a few options, like Pe De Pano since his guard is legendary in Jiu-Jitsu competition but less than stellar in MMA.

If there is someone I missed, just post it and I will add them to the poll.

ozzy2525
10-28-2007, 12:18 AM
I went with Aoki have you seen his standing rubber guard LMAO

ufobydeath
10-28-2007, 12:57 AM
You've put Aoki on there twice... which just makes sense as he has without a doubt the best guard in MMA.

Second place I'd say Big Nog.

Brandon
10-28-2007, 01:04 AM
What about Jacare?

kaiz77
10-28-2007, 01:36 AM
Another for Aoki.....the mans incredible......super slick triangles..

Noob
10-28-2007, 01:37 AM
What about Jacare?

Even in straight BJJ, Jacare isn't known for his guard. Even less so in MMA. He's got a much more top-oriented game. Which is part of the reason he has transitioned so successfully thus-far. He has good takedowns, and good top control, with submissions to match.

ufobydeath
10-28-2007, 01:37 AM
Another for Aoki.....the mans incredible......super slick triangles..

Yeah, and that armbar he got Brian Lo-A-Njoe with... sick

ozzy2525
10-28-2007, 04:12 AM
Even in straight BJJ, Jacare isn't known for his guard. Even less so in MMA. He's got a much more top-oriented game. Which is part of the reason he has transitioned so successfully thus-far. He has good takedowns, and good top control, with submissions to match.
His takedowns are sick he has some really really good Judo. I can't wait for Marcelo to come in, BTW does anyone know wen his first fight is?
Speaking of which WTF happened to Roger?

Raiders18
10-28-2007, 04:31 AM
Aoki, he's a beast.

Noob
10-28-2007, 04:33 AM
His takedowns are sick he has some really really good Judo. I can't wait for Marcelo to come in, BTW does anyone know wen his first fight is?
Speaking of which WTF happened to Roger?

Marcelo's first MMA fight is tomorrow night for K-1.

Last I heard, Roger beat Ron Waterman in Bodog and participated in this year's Abu Dhabi.

NixHex
10-28-2007, 03:43 PM
Aoki no doubt. He goes from having guard to taking somebody's back so quick it looks staged lol. People are pretty much helpless when he wraps them up, and his technique/speed of his subs are second to none.

Gurry
10-30-2007, 05:27 AM
yeah i agree, aoki no doubt, that guys rubber guard is off the hook, that guys a contortionist, but idun thnk he has the strength that BJ duz, none the less i think his guard is btter than BJ's but his overall BJJ isnt.

deeznizzies
10-31-2007, 08:16 PM
one of the purposes of bjj was to overcome brute strength with technique... with that said how can you argue for anyone but big nog? you see him tap bob fucking sapp with an armbar? that's crazy.

snarl
11-08-2007, 12:22 AM
Bj penn has the best guard in MMA period; defensively and offensively his guard is excellent.
He does not have has many submissions from the guard as nog or aoki; because bj fights against better grapplers in his weight class than aoki or nog. Bj has to fight against people who have excellent guards and good submission defence like St. pierre, hughes, serra etc.

NixHex
11-08-2007, 12:35 AM
Bj penn has the best guard in MMA period; defensively and offensively his guard is excellent.
He does not have has many submissions from the guard as nog or aoki; because bj fights against better grapplers in his weight class than aoki or nog. Bj has to fight against people who have excellent guards and good submission defence like St. pierre, hughes, serra etc.
Good first post... and you can't go wrong with The Prodigy in any category, but I like Aoki's guard more than Penn's slightly... I'd take BJ's overall BJJ game though.

unquiet
11-08-2007, 03:05 AM
I don't know guys. Yeah Aoki is really slick in the guard, but he's never been punched as hard as Minotauro has. He's never been up against a monster like Bob Sapp (definitely not a good fighter, but he broke Nogueira's cheek bones in that fight).

I guess it's what you value in an mma guard player that will influence your decision. The guard is a very dangerous place if your opponent is skilled enough to avoid submissions and pound the crap out of you. I don't know if Aoki has been tested to the limits of his guard like Nogueria has.

NixHex
11-08-2007, 04:06 AM
I don't know guys. Yeah Aoki is really slick in the guard, but he's never been punched as hard as Minotauro has. He's never been up against a monster like Bob Sapp (definitely not a good fighter, but he broke Nogueira's cheek bones in that fight).

I guess it's what you value in an mma guard player that will influence your decision. The guard is a very dangerous place if your opponent is skilled enough to avoid submissions and pound the crap out of you. I don't know if Aoki has been tested to the limits of his guard like Nogueria has.
If this was a thread about the toughest guy in MMA it would come down to Minotauro & Don Frye, and Minatauro is second to no HW in BJJ but a guy that size can't do the things like Aoki can w/ his guard (taking back from guard, rubber guard, anything else involving Ripley's Believe it Or Not flexibility that Aoki does lol).

P.S. Minatauro became my hero after that Bob Sapp fight.

Noob
11-08-2007, 10:14 AM
WTF? NO Brad Imes?

I guess I'll go with Aoki.

Haha. I guess Imes could be added by now. He's accomplished something no one else in MMA history has.

God that feels weird to say.

mcdev88
02-22-2008, 07:20 AM
good thread made a while back. i like both bj and aoki.

aoki's subs and moves are so slick, but i think bj beats people up and hurts them from his guard.

miguel torres the WEC batamweight champ. he fought the other night looked very slick off his.

Steve88
02-22-2008, 08:21 PM
bj penn, he takes soo little damage and is just dangerous as can be from guard, he is soo sick

TriangleChoke
03-21-2008, 11:33 PM
if we are talking about guys based on their guards alone, shouldnt frank mir be a choice in the poll? Big Nog's bjj is overall better than mir's imo, but I think Mir is more effective off of his back, where as Big Nog is more effective from top position. just my .02