PDA

View Full Version : if bj penn moved up to middleweight could he stop anderson silva?

kylewyzle2005
10-28-2007, 04:36 AM
i think it would be interesting if bj penn if he moved to middleweight. what do yall think? i think he could beat silva

Noob
10-28-2007, 05:16 AM
{sigh}.

DMoney
10-28-2007, 05:25 AM
I really think Matt Hughes or BJ Penn would beat Silva.I said before and I'll say it again. Someone whos strength is Ju-jitsu will beat Anderson Silva because he is very succeptable to the take down. If either one of these guys fight him they will beat him pretty easily once they get him down.

TheDirtySis
10-28-2007, 06:21 AM
Of course he could (sarcasm). If he really gained weight I think Fedor would be in trouble(even more sarcasm).

BJ is good, great even, there is no doubt about it but he needs to stick to LW and get a title and hold onto it for awhile. The more weight class jumping he does the more credibility he loses IMO.

The only reason I think he moves weight classes is so he doesnt have to cut the weight. Suck it up and be a great LW champion BJ.

DaTruThHurTs
10-28-2007, 04:00 PM
Of course he could (sarcasm). If he really gained weight I think Fedor would be in trouble(even more sarcasm).

BJ is good, great even, there is no doubt about it but he needs to stick to LW and get a title and hold onto it for awhile. The more weight class jumping he does the more credibility he loses IMO.

The only reason I think he moves weight classes is so he doesnt have to cut the weight. Suck it up and be a great LW champion BJ.

I cosign that.....

TN94z
10-28-2007, 06:52 PM
I really think Matt Hughes or BJ Penn would beat Silva.I said before and I'll say it again. Someone whos strength is Ju-jitsu will beat Anderson Silva because he is very succeptable to the take down. If either one of these guys fight him they will beat him pretty easily once they get him down.

Lutter's strength is BJJ and he couldn't beat Silva. Silva is a black belt in BJJ so it will be hard for him to get beat just by BJJ. It will take more of a game plan that that. I mean Travis is a very well known BJJ artist and he didn't beat him. Silva is going to be hard to beat by ANYONE. I have said that I think Hughes has a good chance but we would just have to see. Jumping that many weight classes would be bad for Penn I think. He should stick to winning the LW title and the getting the WW title. That would be a great accomplishment in itself.

Brutus
10-30-2007, 01:59 AM

Anderson Silva is from brazil. in brazil, when you are born you already have a black belt in BJJ. Anderson Silva would do fine on the ground agains a Matt Hughes or a BJ Penn type fighter. if anything i think that Silva may submit hughes once the fight hitss the mat. look at lutter, he is a BJJ fighter and he got sub'd on t he ground.

FFFRpickup
10-30-2007, 02:21 AM
Lutter's strength is BJJ and he couldn't beat Silva. Silva is a black belt in BJJ so it will be hard for him to get beat just by BJJ. It will take more of a game plan that that. I mean Travis is a very well known BJJ artist and he didn't beat him. Silva is going to be hard to beat by ANYONE. I have said that I think Hughes has a good chance but we would just have to see. Jumping that many weight classes would be bad for Penn I think. He should stick to winning the LW title and the getting the WW title. That would be a great accomplishment in itself.

I believe BJ has a decent chance against anybody at 185.

watch the silva/lutter fight again...lutter was manhandling silva until he fell into a triagle from an upkick. lutter has the skills to beat silva and so does BJ.

kingrobert
10-30-2007, 05:56 AM

Have you seen Andersons fights he has lost?? He was subbed by Ryan Chonan and Daiju Takase. They are both small MW who didnt have very good striking but got Anderson to the ground and won the fight.

TN94z
10-30-2007, 03:23 PM
Anderson Silva is from brazil. in brazil, when you are born you already have a black belt in BJJ. Anderson Silva would do fine on the ground agains a Matt Hughes or a BJ Penn type fighter. if anything i think that Silva may submit hughes once the fight hitss the mat. look at lutter, he is a BJJ fighter and he got sub'd on t he ground.

Lutter didn't lose by submission. Silva couldn't get the triangle locked. Lutter quit from elbows to the head.

TN94z
10-30-2007, 03:26 PM
I believe BJ has a decent chance against anybody at 185.

watch the silva/lutter fight again...lutter was manhandling silva until he fell into a triagle from an upkick. lutter has the skills to beat silva and so does BJ.

I didn't say that BJJ doesn't have a descent chance....believe me, I train in BJJ and I think it evens the playing grounds. I said that you need more of a game plan that JUST BJJ against someone like Silva.I agree Lutter definately has the skills to beat him. I mean Lutter is a well known Black belt in BJJ and he lost an armbar that was elementary BJJ. If they fought again, I could see a different outcome. But with BJ being so much smaller, I think that Silva would have the strength advantage. Lutter is a big guy....BJ is not. With that being said, BJ is my favorite fighter and will be in his corner on any of his fights.

TN94z
10-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Have you seen Andersons fights he has lost?? He was subbed by Ryan Chonan and Daiju Takase. They are both small MW who didnt have very good striking but got Anderson to the ground and won the fight.

I didn't say that BJJ wouldn't beat him. I think that BJJ is the only thing that is going to beat him. No one can strike with him. What I said was you can't come into the fight with that as your game plan. To effectively use BJJ, you must get your opponent on the ground correct? If you don't have a game plan for getting Silva on the ground then how can you use the BJJ? I mean the guy isn't going to stand there and let you take him down. When you are on this level of fighting, everyone has enough BJJ experience that they can submit you given the right circumstances. I mean you can learn how to do an armbar and rear naked from watching tv. I have always thought that Silva's BJJ was too weak to be a black belt, but it looks like it is getting better.