PDA

View Full Version : intensity/interval running

deeznizzies
10-29-2007, 05:14 AM
how often per week should you do this and how long? thanks

puhalu
10-30-2007, 01:54 AM
What's your goal?
More speed, power, endurance, or all of them?
What do you do currently?
What kind of equipment do you have available (sleds, etc)?

deeznizzies
10-30-2007, 06:31 PM
What's your goal?
More speed, power, endurance, or all of them?
What do you do currently?
What kind of equipment do you have available (sleds, etc)?

yeah.. all of the above.

currently, i run about 30 to 45 minutes 3 days a week. i try and jog for 5, walk for 1, spring at like 8mph for 3 and do this until i get to 25 minutes and cool down for 5 then stretch for 10 mins or so.

it gets boring and i usually use a tread because its kinda cold around here and i'm lazy.

puhalu
10-30-2007, 08:19 PM
if you're bored, you def need to change things up. Your body will get 'bored' too, and will plateau. Try simple things:

Run backward for intervals, sprint up short hills, pull a weighted sled (not sure if you're joking about being in S. Korea, but if so, is there such a thing as a grass field there? LOL

Get some info on plyometrics. Be careful and start slowly, some of this stuff can be hard on the joints of a newb, but it'll make you more explosive and is easy to add to a running routine.

Also, vary the duration of the workouts. To start, make 1 per week 1 hour long.

At least for me, I try to run outside whenever possible. You don't get bored NEARLY as fast as on a treadmill, and if you're happy, you'll get much more out of the workout.

southsider
10-31-2007, 10:20 PM
At least for me, I try to run outside whenever possible. You don't get bored NEARLY as fast as on a treadmill, and if you're happy, you'll get much more out of the workout.

Yeah running outside will definately give you a better workout compared to a treadmill. Whereas most treadmill have built in shock absorbers and a cushioned belt, make sure you're aware of the running surface, as cement is really hard on the knees.

kokaine
11-18-2007, 09:01 AM
when i did hardcore cardio ... I jogged a lap ... sprint a lap .... then jogged and within that jog to a lap, i did 10 jumping burpees....rotate what i said for 30-45 min... killed myself ... but i def. saw a boost in stamina