PDA

View Full Version : Use your specialties goddamnit!

BJJ Boy
10-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Im getting sick and tired of great fighters losing to the underdogs! You know why this happening? Not because the under dog is good, its because the fighter isnt using his strength! Seriously, if your a BJJ fighter, use your ground game, dont go striking with him! If you have knock out power, use your strikes, dont let it take it to the ground.

Look at Andersdon Silva, you know why hes amazing fighter? Because he always strikes, he only goes down to the ground if its the last case scenario.

Jesus..

rivethead
10-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Without specific examples, I'm not sure I can agree with you, especially when you say "Not because the under dog is good."

And I catagorically disagree that Anderson only goes to the ground as a last resort. He's more comfortable on his feet, but I wouldn't state that the ground is a last resort for him.

Unless they want to end up one-dimensional [Ortiz, Hughes] most fighters try to progress, try to add more disciplines to their game, and to effectively employ those disciplines, they need to be practiced. So as a fan, you get to witness the development of new aspects to a given fighter's game--for instance Randy Couture's striking has improved leaps and bounds since he lost at HW...he's nearly a different fighter. If he stuck to his "specialty" he never would have won the HW title again.

rh

UFC-chef/Hughes-fan
10-30-2007, 03:22 PM
That's why MMA is so popular and fun to watch. Unlike the NFL you can pretty much figure out who the better team is and is going to win. In MMA you really never know who will win any givin fighter regardless of skills can win (Serra over GSP).

And just because your a striker doesn't mean you can't get knocked out (lidell vs jackson) or a BJJ expert could get submitted.

Quintessential Studmuffin
10-30-2007, 03:23 PM
This isnt old UFC. Fighters arent one dimensional,and how do they improve their game if they never get their feet wet and try it? Its not as easy as,your a former boxer? Box away!!!

It depends alot on your opponent to as to what you base your game around. And alot of times it doesnt even come down to fighter "specialties" it comes down to who wants it more.

And sometimes its smart to go agaisnt you specialty. Example: Gonzaga vs Cro Cop.Is Gonzaga a striker? No.But he knocked Cro Cop right out.

Also is Matt Serra mainly a striker? Not really. Id say his best specialty is his BJJ. But he went against his specialty and knocked out GSP.

Im somewhat offended by the stupidity of this thread.

twankydawg
10-30-2007, 03:33 PM
When I first read this thread I thought it was useless and that was before anyone posted in it. Now that people have posted in it, I realize my first thoughts were correct, another useless, pointless thread/

Noob
10-30-2007, 03:42 PM
When I first read this thread I thought it was useless and that was before anyone posted in it. Now that people have posted in it, I realize my first thoughts were correct, another useless, pointless thread/

Agreed. Generally unnecessary.

A great candidate for Noob Jack.

eazye76
10-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Is it just me or does this seem to be happening a lot more lately?

Noob
10-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Is it just me or does this seem to be happening a lot more lately?

This is why we upped the rep before you could post outside of Noob Jack. It's been better in the week or so since we instituted it. But yeah, it was getting worse there for a while.

Hopefully the new requirements help reduce unnecessary threads in the main forums.

Monsterman
10-30-2007, 05:55 PM
I disagree with the "not because the underdog is good" part. And this is not the reason for the latest upset but there has been some horrible gameplans over the years. Hughes trying to strike with GSP, heīs not going to be good striker, ever. Just shoot, shoot and shoot. Evan Tanner trying to box with Franklin after landing one right hand, he should have tried to get the clinch or takedown the whole fight. Karam Ibrahim trying to brawl with Fujita and getting ktfo. Dude won the olympics in greco. Manhoef wanting to test his groundgame with Dong Sik Yoon etc. It good to be well rounded but itīs not the smartest thing in the world to try your new skills against someone who has huge advantage over you in that part of the game.