PDA

View Full Version : BJJ/MMA Instructional DVD recommendations?

Quintessential Studmuffin
11-02-2007, 07:01 AM
I just got my enitre basement re-done with Grappling mats from wall to wall,along with a new heavybag,and about 10 feet of wall mats put up.I do regualr BJJ and have been for only a little bit over a year,but due to my work sceduale,im only able to go once a week if im lucky,So im triyng to find some shit to keep me busy inbetween work,and the one or two days I can actually go train a week..

Anyone have any DVDS youd recommend or have heard good things about??

Noob
11-02-2007, 07:08 AM
Give us some more information. What are you looking for?

Gi, no-gi? You want to learn sweeps, guard passing, submissions, or do you want to cover all aspects in general? Is there a particular fighter you like, or particular style you have or want to emulate?

11-02-2007, 07:12 AM
Give us some more information. What are you looking for?

Gi, no-gi? You want to learn sweeps, guard passing, submissions, or do you want to cover all aspects in general? Is there a particular fighter you like, or particular style you have or want to emulate?

No-gi
One that covers all aspects
No specific fighter

Noob
11-02-2007, 07:19 AM
No-gi
One that covers all aspects
No specific fighter

What kind of price range you looking at? A lot of the higher level ones can cost about $100-150, but some good deals can be found for much less.

11-02-2007, 07:36 AM
What kind of price range you looking at? A lot of the higher level ones can cost about $100-150, but some good deals can be found for much less.

Id spend upto 100$ on em',but the cheaper the better

Noob
11-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Id spend upto 100$ on em',but the cheaper the better

My standard recommendation is always Mario Sperry's 'Secrets of Submission Grappling,' though it is kind of expensive. I'm not sure what it sells for anymore, as it has been out for a while.

It's a very good instructional. No-gi, covers top positions, bottom positions, a good open guard section, takedowns, and submissions. There is also a disc that covers point-scoring, for tournaments. All in all there are 6 discs, each of them about an hour at least, if I remember correctly.

If you don't mind that price range, it's definitely a good instructional. If that's too much just let me know and I will see what I can find for cheaper.

Brandon
11-02-2007, 07:53 AM
That must be one kick ass basement!!

kaiz77
11-05-2007, 10:16 PM
Yeah for basement training!!!!.....join the elite club!!!

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee222/kaiz77/workoutroom.jpg

Here's my baby.....

stanthrax
11-10-2007, 04:13 PM
what videos would you guys recommend for training with gi?
I'm fairly new to the game so i need just about everything... maybe sweeps more than anything... but all aspects would be great too.

Noob
11-10-2007, 05:42 PM
what videos would you guys recommend for training with gi?
I'm fairly new to the game so i need just about everything... maybe sweeps more than anything... but all aspects would be great too.

For a relative beginner I would suggest anything by Fabio Gurgel. Most of his stuff is a bit older, but the basics never change. It's all gi-related and very solid stuff.

You can't go wrong with that if you want a gi instructional. There are a ton of other ones, but most of them start to specialize with higher-level stuff like Spider Guard and DLR guard.