PDA

View Full Version : Help. Need ideas.

Frasedog
11-02-2007, 11:37 AM
I am competing in a grappling tournament tomorrow. I'm trying to make the 161 lb limit. This morning I was at 162/163, so I'm not too worried about losing that few pounds overnight. What I'm concerned with is what to eat after the weigh in. I'm going to be starving, and thirsty. Weigh in is at 9:30 and my division will probably start at around 11:30-12:00. I need to eat right after the weigh in, so I don't have a lot on my stomach. I won't be near home, so my options are the supermarket, or a fast food place.

Advice??

Clint
11-02-2007, 11:42 AM
I have heard people swear by oatmeal mixed with some bannana baby food (or else apple sauce). For instant oatmeal all you need is a cup and some hot water. I would imagine you could get hot water somewhere without trouble.

To drink I would say maybe some diluted gatorade. You probably don't want all the sugar at once so maybe 1:1 Gatorade:Water.

Clint
11-02-2007, 11:48 AM
The more I think about it, the more you might want a touch of protein in there. I would say either some whey mixed into the oatmeal or into your gatorade. You don't need a whole shake but maybe 1 scoop of whey in 20 oz of gatorade/water (or in your oats)

Noob
11-02-2007, 12:39 PM
One of the things I do in a situation like that is to make some pasta and stick it in a tupperware container. It will keep well enough, not a lot of sugar or very simple carbs.

Clint's idea about a small protein shake or something similar is a good thought too. Depends on your stomach, how you handle different foods. I almost have to have some protein or fat to stay in my stomach, but every person is different.

Good luck buddy. Make a thread in the Grappling forum and let us know how you do.

Frasedog
11-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Thanks, guy's! I'll let you know how I do.

puhalu
11-02-2007, 03:57 PM
I have heard people swear by oatmeal mixed with some bannana baby food (or else apple sauce). For instant oatmeal all you need is a cup and some hot water. I would imagine you could get hot water somewhere without trouble.

To drink I would say maybe some diluted gatorade. You probably don't want all the sugar at once so maybe 1:1 Gatorade:Water.

Good advice. But if I were you, I'd avoid the gatorade altogether. You def need to eat carbs to replace your glycogen stores but more complex ones (ie oatmeal, fructose (fruit sugar), or pasta) would be best. Simple sugars are metabolized FAST and leave your body with high insulin levels. The electrolytes in Gatorade are great, but you can get this from fresh fruit.

Clint's idea about a small protein shake or something similar is a good thought too. Depends on your stomach, how you handle different foods. I almost have to have some protein or fat to stay in my stomach, but every person is different.

I'm the same way. I have to have a little PRO and FAT or I'm worthless.
Too much Scandinavian blood, me thinks.

Everyone's def different- you gotta do what your body responds best to.

unquiet
11-09-2007, 10:41 AM
I remember I was getting dizzy from barely eating the night before and my instructor told me to get some sugar in my body first. Hope the tournament went well.