PDA

View Full Version : Vids of yourself rolling...

kaiz77
11-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Hey fellas just wanted to try and start a thread dedicated solely to videos of yourself rolling...whether it be during training or competition (I know there are a couple already up here).....I'd love to see them!!...

I think its cool seeing everyones different styles that I converse with on a daily basis!!.....Hopefully I'll have something to post after my roll in a couple hrs......Just gotta do some tweaking to my digital camera......Thanks fellas.
Happy training!

kaiz77
11-05-2007, 03:19 PM
Here is one of Monsterman..posted before
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mzkpFLx9k-4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mzkpFLx9k-4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

"My opponent has the red belt in the first match, i have it in the second. Not that good quality in the vid, but you should get the general idea what happened."....monster quote

kaiz77
11-05-2007, 03:22 PM
And here is a link to Kimuras"R"Us (I tried to embed it but its a private vid)

http://forums.mmanews.com/showthread.php?t=15663

NixHex
11-05-2007, 06:56 PM
I like this idea, as soon as I get this digital camera fixed i'll put something up.

Noob would this be able to be a sticky?

NixHex
11-05-2007, 08:48 PM
We can sticky it if it gets any action, Lets see how it goes.
Cool, it'll probably take some time for people to post things.

I'll try and remember a digital camera next time I roll so I can contribute.

kaiz77
11-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Got some footage today...hopefully get it up tommorrow.....I have like 3 ...2 to 3 min. rounds.......and for my camera 3 min of footage is like 230MB!!!!

so I have some work shrinking it and uploading it ahead of me!!!...Ill play with the settings on the camera and figure out how to get them WAYYY smaller.....just didnt have time today...

###Just messed around with my cam.....got the file size down to 60 MB upload instead of 250 for 3 minutes...lol.........soooo that means I'll be waiting till Thursday to make/put up new footage......bummer too......you guys missed a sweet marcelo behind the back pass...omoplata transition from failed armbar...and a side choke.....:( We'll see if I can get em again Thursday for you guys.... Also...I plan on doing this pretty regularly so you guys can help me with my technique and all (since Im self taught).......already anticipating Thursday!!......I'll take move requests!!!...lol....anything you want me to try I'll go for it....lol

Noob
11-06-2007, 02:32 AM
I like this idea, as soon as I get this digital camera fixed i'll put something up.

Noob would this be able to be a sticky?

Yeah, if it takes off we can definitely throw a sticky up. Anything like this that gets some hits we can make a sticky. I would like to see the Grappling section get some more action, so anything we can add to it is welcome. If you've got any ideas, toss them up.

NixHex
11-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Yeah, if it takes off we can definitely throw a sticky up. Anything like this that gets some hits we can make a sticky. I would like to see the Grappling section get some more action, so anything we can add to it is welcome. If you've got any ideas, toss them up.
I'd like to see more action in the Grappling Section too, it seems like there's like the same 6-7 of us who are in the majority of threads. We should start a gang lol.

Would you be able to get any footage of training? It'll be a great learning tool, we can show our sessions and learn from each other's mistakes. And see different styles because everyone has a different BJJ game.

I'll try and get something up ASAP but i'm computer illiterate (if you don't remember)... speaking of which, my Hendo/Wandy sig is gone and i'm not sure what happened with it.

Noob
11-06-2007, 09:20 AM
I'd like to see more action in the Grappling Section too, it seems like there's like the same 6-7 of us who are in the majority of threads. We should start a gang lol.

Agreed. I have been giving some thought to ideas to build up this section. I added the videos section, the gi review thread, and post threads whenever I think of them.

Any other suggestions are welcome. I would like to see this place built up more.

Would you be able to get any footage of training? It'll be a great learning tool, we can show our sessions and learn from each other's mistakes. And see different styles because everyone has a different BJJ game.

I'll try and get something up ASAP but i'm computer illiterate (if you don't remember)... speaking of which, my Hendo/Wandy sig is gone and i'm not sure what happened with it.

I have a moderate amount of abilities with video editing and converting. If you have a video that you need something done with I can probably help. I don't have the ability to transfer off of VHS, but anything to do with a DVD or video files on your computer I can toy with.

And lol, how did you lose your sig? If you still have the image saved I can put it back up for you. Let me know.

kaiz77
11-06-2007, 06:12 PM

This is the exact reason I wanted to start this!!!....hopefully others will join in also...I think it would be a GREAT help to learn from eachother!

unquiet
11-06-2007, 09:00 PM
http://www.dailymotion.com/soultraveling/1

These are my matches at the US Open of Submission Grappling, a couple months ago. It was my first no-gi tournament and my second tournament altogether. The fights got progressively harder, and, well you'll see the final match what happens.

Kimuras"R"Us
11-06-2007, 11:08 PM

These are my matches at the US Open of Submission Grappling, a couple months ago. It was my first no-gi tournament and my second tournament altogether. The fights got progressively harder, and, well you'll see the final match what happens.

Congrats, that was fuckin awesome. Your cardio was the truth. What all did you do cardio wise prior to that tournament?

kaiz77
11-06-2007, 11:27 PM

Awsome job bro!!!...very cool.......

I have my first tourny coming up shortly!!! Dec 1st NAGA.... I too am 150-60lb Novice Nogi.....so this is good to kind of get an idea about the caliber of my competition....very cool!!

Jon-E-Law
11-06-2007, 11:39 PM
can anyone tell me what the purpose of the gi is it just looks more difficult to monover in and heavy and thick and and and and i could go on forever

Palma
11-06-2007, 11:50 PM
can anyone tell me what the purpose of the gi is it just looks more difficult to monover in and heavy and thick and and and and i could go on forever

It's a different game is all. It's less cardio and less agility, but much more skillful and requires more technique in my opinion. You also have endless option with submission and sweeps compared to no gi. I think training with the gi is more applicable to real life self defense unless you get mugged in a nudist colony

I didnít want to roll with the gi at first, but I was just ignorant. It really opens up your game for rolling without the gi.

Jon-E-Law
11-07-2007, 12:28 AM
It's a different game is all. It's less cardio and less agility, but much more skillful and requires more technique in my opinion. You also have endless option with submission and sweeps compared to no gi. I think training with the gi is more applicable to real life self defense unless you get mugged in a nudist colony

I didnít want to roll with the gi at first, but I was just ignorant. It really opens up your game for rolling without the gi.

idk it kinda feels like id be trying to play basketball in a wheelchair. I think all mma should adapt to the new age bruce said it best himself.Iv rolled countless times without a gi and love it if i had to wear pants and a heavy cotton toga i dont think i could get down but thats just me.

Palma
11-07-2007, 12:41 AM
idk it kinda feels like id be trying to play basketball in a wheelchair. I think all mma should adapt to the new age bruce said it best himself.Iv rolled countless times without a gi and love it if i had to wear pants and a heavy cotton toga i dont think i could get down but thats just me.

I think that's a bit dramatic. Look at it this way; the best grapplers and nogi fighters in the world all started off with the Gi... You will learn techniques that you simply can't learn from rolling No Gi...

Jon-E-Law
11-07-2007, 12:56 AM
I think that's a bit dramatic. Look at it this way; the best grapplers and nogi fighters in the world all started off with the Gi... You will learn techniques that you simply can't learn from rolling No Gi...
it was ment to be! but techniques like what ones that can only be performed with gi on! give an example please.

Palma
11-07-2007, 01:36 AM
it was ment to be! but techniques like what ones that can only be performed with gi on! give an example please.

Spider guard, dozens of colar chokes, dozens of sweeps, Judo throws, way more options with open gaurd... on and on. But I think the biggest thing is it's just more control over your opponent and then when you roll no gi it's just so much simpler but allot more physical.

Noob
11-07-2007, 02:24 AM

It's a different mode altogether. The gi offers a lot of opportunities that are not present in no-gi. Spider guard, sweeps, chokes, tons of things that you can do while wearing a gi that you couldn't do without it.

In my opinion, it also narrows the strength and athleticism gap. Someone who is much bigger and stronger than you would be harder to control in no-gi, in my opinion. Having the gi on negates a lot of strenth, and makes it a lot easier to control someone without using a lot of force.

But you are assuming that all Jiu-Jitsu is for MMA. There are plenty of people to compete in BJJ with the gi on. Tons of tournaments and similar things.

I haven't gotten into any fights since I started training BJJ, but I do know that people often claim that training with the gi is still beneficial as anyone you get into a fight with will have some clothing on. A t-shirt, pants, jacket, even shorts can all be manipulated in similar ways as a gi.

Just like a gi, you can even choke someone out with their own shirt/jacket. I have an entire instructional about t-shirt chokes. It's kind of old and corny, but some of it is legit.

ScottS
11-07-2007, 05:36 AM
tournament on dec. 1 so hopefully I'll have some good video to show from that.

I passionatly prefer the gi. It's a completely different game. If you haven't done it, you should really try before making rash judgements about the sport.
Come to my school and I'll personally educate you on the cross collar choke. :)

unquiet
11-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Congrats, that was fuckin awesome. Your cardio was the truth. What all did you do cardio wise prior to that tournament?

Well, as soon as my last match was over my instructor came up to me and said "You see why we spar for ten minute rounds!" I don't remember gassing until the last round. Do interval training, all kinds. But there is one other important thing too, I'll mention later. Interval training is like doing a bunch of pushups, situps, squats, burpees (the best) in 3 minutes, and then rest 1 minute, and repeat. There is no way you can fully recover in one minute, so the next round you do you have to force yourself to go 90-100% with only half your tank full. If you find the right combination of exercises, you'll see a big improvement in recovery time between rounds and bigger numbers in the interval rounds. You can do running too: Run 200/400 meters, rest x amount of time. There's lots of stuff on it online, but I recommend www.rosstraining.com and buy one of his books, best thing ever.

The other thing I mentioned was learn how to use your energy while fighting. Don't tense up 100% of the time or you'll burn out. When I'm on top, I don't waste energy by clamping the guy everywhere, I just put pressure where I need to so he can't escape. And I only used one sweep the whole tournament. I can do that sweep very easily and I recommend that if you don't want to waste energy, have a couple sweeps/attacks that you know really really well so you don't waste energy fighting the whole time. As soon as I was in half guard, I hit the sweep every time. Only the first guy gave me trouble.

A guy I just lost to told me that he had been doing tabata intervals and his conditioning went through the roof. See if it helps.

Awsome job bro!!!...very cool.......

I have my first tourny coming up shortly!!! Dec 1st NAGA.... I too am 150-60lb Novice Nogi.....so this is good to kind of get an idea about the caliber of my competition....very cool!!

I went to another tournament after that, got the silver. It was a gi tournament and the guy I lost to was a 3 year white belt who got passed the first round of the adcc trials. He put a clinic on me. There were 5 fights again. I thought since I got gold that I'd be a little big shot, and I neglected my cardio. He killed me. I think our weight has the most amount of people in it. So prepare for lots of fights. I kind of wish it wasn't that hard, but it just makes the win more rewarding. If you're within your weight, make sure you eat good food before the fight!! I was dizzy and not feeling well because I thought I needed to lose a little bit more so I barely ate anything the day before. Eat a little sugar before every match to wake you up since you have to wait awhile in between matches.

Try not to be nervous. My first tournament, I was peeing every 10 minutes. It was ridiculous haha. I've been training for 9 months now, in case anyone is wondering. I learned the triangle escape that saved my last fight the day before the tournament haha. I was thinking, this is really good, I should drill this a lot.

Noob
11-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Well, as soon as my last match was over my instructor came up to me and said "You see why we spar for ten minute rounds!" I don't remember gassing until the last round. Do interval training, all kinds. But there is one other important thing too, I'll mention later. Interval training is like doing a bunch of pushups, situps, squats, burpees (the best) in 3 minutes, and then rest 1 minute, and repeat. There is no way you can fully recover in one minute, so the next round you do you have to force yourself to go 90-100% with only half your tank full. If you find the right combination of exercises, you'll see a big improvement in recovery time between rounds and bigger numbers in the interval rounds. You can do running too: Run 200/400 meters, rest x amount of time. There's lots of stuff on it online, but I recommend www.rosstraining.com (http://www.rosstraining.com) and buy one of his books, best thing ever.

The other thing I mentioned was learn how to use your energy while fighting. Don't tense up 100% of the time or you'll burn out. When I'm on top, I don't waste energy by clamping the guy everywhere, I just put pressure where I need to so he can't escape. And I only used one sweep the whole tournament. I can do that sweep very easily and I recommend that if you don't want to waste energy, have a couple sweeps/attacks that you know really really well so you don't waste energy fighting the whole time. As soon as I was in half guard, I hit the sweep every time. Only the first guy gave me trouble.

A guy I just lost to told me that he had been doing tabata intervals and his conditioning went through the roof. See if it helps.

I went to another tournament after that, got the silver. It was a gi tournament and the guy I lost to was a 3 year white belt who got passed the first round of the adcc trials. He put a clinic on me. There were 5 fights again. I thought since I got gold that I'd be a little big shot, and I neglected my cardio. He killed me. I think our weight has the most amount of people in it. So prepare for lots of fights. I kind of wish it wasn't that hard, but it just makes the win more rewarding. If you're within your weight, make sure you eat good food before the fight!! I was dizzy and not feeling well because I thought I needed to lose a little bit more so I barely ate anything the day before. Eat a little sugar before every match to wake you up since you have to wait awhile in between matches.

Try not to be nervous. My first tournament, I was peeing every 10 minutes. It was ridiculous haha. I've been training for 9 months now, in case anyone is wondering. I learned the triangle escape that saved my last fight the day before the tournament haha. I was thinking, this is really good, I should drill this a lot.

What was the ref going on about before your 5th match? Sounded like he was lecturing someone about divisions.

NixHex
11-07-2007, 10:24 AM
What was the ref going on about before your 5th match? Sounded like he was lecturing someone about divisions.
I heard him saying something about spine locks being illegal.

Unquiet, congrats on the Gold man, the guy in the championship come out and gassed himself. You stayed patient and used technique while he was exerting energy constantly. Very nice. You love North/South position don't ya, I prefer side control because I don't like not having any control over the hips in N/S. But you got the scramble down pat from N/S it looked like. Good sub escapes too, stayed patient and worked that triangle off. Didn't see much off your back because you weren't there much, but you swept everybody from half guard.

That's why I want this to be stickied so we can see the different styles & everybody's BJJ strategy.

Noob
11-07-2007, 10:39 AM
That's why I want this to be stickied so we can see the different styles & everybody's BJJ strategy.

Yeah, if people keep making contributions, we will definitely sticky it. I will pour through some of my videos and see if I can find some of my grappling ones.

I don't have any from competitions, but I took a few videos before I left my last school, mainly as token of memory. I will see if I can dig it up and post it.

NixHex
11-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Yeah, if people keep making contributions, we will definitely sticky it. I will pour through some of my videos and see if I can find some of my grappling ones.

I don't have any from competitions, but I took a few videos before I left my last school, mainly as token of memory. I will see if I can dig it up and post it.
That's cool, I don't think it'll have a problem getting action... I hope not at least.

I don't think my instructor was too thrilled when I asked to bring a digital camera in there lol, but i'll take some home footage of me rolling with the guys I train with on the side.

kaiz77
11-07-2007, 03:48 PM
tournament on dec. 1 so hopefully I'll have some good video to show from that.

I passionatly prefer the gi. It's a completely different game. If you haven't done it, you should really try before making rash judgements about the sport.
Come to my school and I'll personally educate you on the cross collar choke. :)

Where is the tourny??...Is it the NAGA one in Ohio? ...cause Ill be there if it is...

Palma
11-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Where is the tourny??...Is it the NAGA one in Ohio? ...cause Ill be there if it is...

They are having the World Open Nogi tourny out here on Dec. 15th.

unquiet
11-07-2007, 07:16 PM

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v115/33/39/171200332/n171200332_30175613_1930.jpg
There was a misunderstanding in the previous match. The guy on the left (third place) was putting on a straight ankle lock on the guy on the right (second place) and the ref stopped them and reset them standing. Straight ankle locks ARE allowed, but the ref thought he was doing a heel hook or something illegal. So this guy was another ref, since some people got mad at the bad call from the other guy, and the new ref was just clearing up what is allowed... for a long time lol.

I'm the guy in the middle :grinsmile26:

Unquiet, congrats on the Gold man, the guy in the championship come out and gassed himself. You stayed patient and used technique while he was exerting energy constantly. Very nice. You love North/South position don't ya, I prefer side control because I don't like not having any control over the hips in N/S. But you got the scramble down pat from N/S it looked like. Good sub escapes too, stayed patient and worked that triangle off. Didn't see much off your back because you weren't there much, but you swept everybody from half guard.

Thanks man, it was the hardest thing I've ever done. What I was trying to do wasn't really north/south, but a combination of side control and n/s. You can see I always try and keep one hand on their hip so they can't turn into me effectively. Maybe wrap an arm too. And if they do, I probably wasn't keeping the right pressure in the right places.

Jon-E-Law
11-08-2007, 12:08 AM
Spider guard, dozens of colar chokes, dozens of sweeps, Judo throws, way more options with open gaurd... on and on. But I think the biggest thing is it's just more control over your opponent and then when you roll no gi it's just so much simpler but allot more physical.
so in you honest opinion what do think would be best for real world situations?

Palma
11-08-2007, 12:26 AM

The Gi of course. Don't people wear clothes where you live?

Dork8503
11-08-2007, 01:18 AM
i think this thread was started for people to stare at other guys rolling with dudes to be used at beat off material lol, just kidding.

ScottS
11-08-2007, 03:45 AM
My dec. 1 tournament is in Tennessee.

Noob
11-08-2007, 04:31 AM

I personally prefer no-gi, but by just a little bit.

It's my personal preference that I don't want to have to worry about becoming dependent on sleeve, and pant leg grips in the event that I get into a self-defense situation with someone who isn't wearing a durable long-sleeve shirt or pair of pants.

But it's a relatively small point, and it's just my personal preference. You are not going to be severely handicapped by either style, especially if you just want it for real-world application.

The truth is that both styles are beneficial, and force you to think about the game in different ways. Gi helped me think about the fundamentals more, posture, control, breaking balance. No-gi helped me to think about the anatomy, how certain grips work, which parts of the body are stronger and easier/harder to influence.

You can't go wrong with either one. Most schools teach both anyway, and I would recommend a little of both. If you can only take one style, just pick based on preference. Some people say it's harder to start gi after doing no-gi for a long time, others say it's the other way around. The truth is that it's different for everyone.

unquiet
11-08-2007, 08:26 AM
i think this thread was started for people to stare at other guys rolling with dudes to be used at beat off material lol, just kidding.

I probably shouldn't have posted my picture on the third page, that's like a weeks worth of material lol.

Noob
11-08-2007, 08:37 AM
I probably shouldn't have posted my picture on the third page, that's like a weeks worth of material lol.

Ha, don't kid yourself. Dork can stretch that out to a month and a half, easy.

He's known for that kind of thing.

NixHex
11-09-2007, 08:47 AM
Bumped so people don't forget about it...

I'll be taping some of my training on Tuesday, and get it up ASAP.

kaiz77
11-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Here are the vids from this week of some of the matches during training...
I have the blond hair.......sorry if its annoying that there are so many.....in the future itll be like 4 vids (with substantial meaning) a week...ranging from 1 min to 4 mins. long....

Keep in mind that Im self taught!! so help me out......I have 4 months of exp. to my training partners 2........so I do tend to be a little more reckless then I usually would in competition....

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F8SnF63xfOk&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F8SnF63xfOk&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Armbar to omoplata finish
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3neSVpgB1Bo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3neSVpgB1Bo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
triangles....leglocks (we dont crank Heelhooks just know they're there)..
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-8R0gbGbJHM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-8R0gbGbJHM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
inverted armbar...(could have finished easily)
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PK4vAPcwY84&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PK4vAPcwY84&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Marcelo PASS!!!
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4LHpmCzwgA4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4LHpmCzwgA4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Funny one....omoplata.....Im always scared to hurt a training partner...so a funny conversation ensues after what I thought was a deep omoplata (he was gripping the front of his shorts making it unable to torque his shoulder) .....I let him out....brabo finish...

kaiz77
11-09-2007, 04:14 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vViQ7FZnrVg&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vViQ7FZnrVg&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Marcelo pass...inverted guard to back control...armbar finish...as I punch myself in the face...
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-E364E8TKT4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-E364E8TKT4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
marcelo pass (can you tell I like it?)...mounted with arm pinned still...awkward...give up my back .....escape
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/asGlfFiDSf4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/asGlfFiDSf4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
triangle escape, experimenting with anaconda grip, RNC finish..

Noob
11-09-2007, 04:27 PM
After watching the first video, I would recommend this technique:

It's a triangle from the armbar position. I use this all the time, especially on more experienced guys. When they try to sit up into you, it gives you the triangle if your feet are place properly.

You went for the armbar a few times and ended up fighting for it. With this triangle, you don't have to fight. You can let them sit up, and it gives you the choke.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d5i6uWnbrFc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d5i6uWnbrFc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

kaiz77
11-09-2007, 04:32 PM
After watching the first video, I would recommend this technique:

It's a triangle from the armbar position. I use this all the time, especially on more experienced guys. When they try to sit up into you, it gives you the triangle if your feet are place properly.

You went for the armbar a few times and ended up fighting for it. With this triangle, you don't have to fight. You can let them sit up, and it gives you the choke.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d5i6uWnbrFc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d5i6uWnbrFc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

i love this move...use it a lot!!!

Jon-E-Law
11-09-2007, 04:34 PM
The Gi of course. Don't people wear clothes where you live?
no why? do they by where u live?

i
think this thread was started for people to stare at other guys rolling with dudes to be used at beat off material lol, just kidding.

maybe this should be in the after dark forum! lol

The truth is that it's different for everyone.

Id have to switch gyms to go to no gi but if i get a chance ill def try it seems like its a must try!

Noob
11-09-2007, 04:35 PM
i love this move...use it a lot!!!

With 1:20 left in the 3rd video, you are in perfect position to use this technique:

http://forums.mmanews.com/showthread.php?t=17916

Pin that arm, get the left underhook, and transition to side control. It's the setup I use all the time.

Good Anaconda choke with 1:40 left in the 4th video. Just keep spinning your hips around. You had the choke, just looked like you gave up on it.

And since you like the armbar, try this one out:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sC82PZfAqY0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sC82PZfAqY0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I use this a lot, and very few people see it coming or know how to defend. It is another move that takes advantage of 'correct' behavior on the part of your opponent.

My normal system is armbar - bicep slicer - triangle. Works well for me.

kaiz77
11-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Very nice!!! thanks Noob on all comments!!

Noob
11-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Very nice!!! thanks Noob on all comments!!

De nada amigo.

NixHex
11-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Good work Kaiz, the only thing I seen technique wise was your triangle choke. When you got your legs locked you'd immediately start pulling down on the head with both hands, I always like reaching up and pulling my foot down under my knee and then going to crank their head down. It just looked like you had the triangle a few times but the pressure wasn't there because your foot wasn't under your knee.

Good training! Do you guys ever start off standing? I'd strongly recommend this, because it helps with scrambles and actually working for guard instead of just setting up in guard. Keep up the good work.

They said I had to spread rep around before giving it to you.

kaiz77
11-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks man.....very good tip......
I have to work on the flexibility of my right knee a lot due to surgery.....so it takes me a little extra effort when I set it up on that side...but great tip...

Youll def see this in my future vids...

and yes we do start standing sometimes..but not too..often...
we just lack the space to be honest.....and concrete walls.....you get the picture......

just try to be very safe during training....

ozzy2525
11-10-2007, 05:11 PM
I think that you should get head control for the triangle first not lock it up first. But for me it is a little different because I can lock up the triangle up without help if there head is down.

kaiz77
11-10-2007, 06:54 PM
It depends on the angle really.....if you sink it with a good angle (almost perpendicular) to begin with....its easy to get your legs lined up correctly and tightly..........its just harder for me to bend my right knee easily that way...

usually I pinch tight...gain head control.....pull me shin down if necessary..relock....feed arm under leg to sweep or improve angle to prevent stacking...if needed....

a good triangle should carry out pretty much all of these steps at the same time and with good speed....

here is a good reference...
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y2v7GFAI_2k&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y2v7GFAI_2k&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

kaiz77
11-11-2007, 10:20 AM
Im taking any suggestions for what you want me to try out during training this Monday (that I will be taping....)

I am already goin to mess around with Noobs side control...and a little octupus guard...

Palma
11-11-2007, 12:33 PM
no why? do they by where u live?

Where do you live? I'm so there...

kaiz77
11-16-2007, 03:40 PM
This weeks vids....
I was primarily looking for leglocks, trying to work an octopus guard, and Noobs side control (which I call it now...)...lol

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/whrtnrLUA3s&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/whrtnrLUA3s&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
First time trying out Noob side control....
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5vO9Up-GI60&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5vO9Up-GI60&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Failed Noob control Gogoplata to leglock finish....didnt have my weight distributed correctly...
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xCmhbw9iiFw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xCmhbw9iiFw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Triangle escape to a loose 69 choke..(I need to work on it..feels tight yet no choke...Noob side control to americana Finish...
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zs8lUKXGfbI&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zs8lUKXGfbI&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Tapped by RNC in the end....ensued by Larry's celebration...I taught him well..lol....

kaiz77
11-16-2007, 03:44 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/50Fjg_2YhFQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/50Fjg_2YhFQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
primarily looking for leglocks this round...(don't torque during training...RNC finish...
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/95u32wvoKV0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/95u32wvoKV0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Octopus guard to back take followed by a triangle set up off an armbar....Just like you told me last week Noob:grinsmile1:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zH8EIzE4p78&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zH8EIzE4p78&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Wristlock to triangle...followed by standing Marcelo pass to leglocks..
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/va7Ok9FeS1Q&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/va7Ok9FeS1Q&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Leglocks to posturing out of a triangle..followed by Noob side control setting up an arm choke.....

Thanks guys!!...great techniques and help this week!!!

NixHex
11-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Good work. When breaking my opponents guard I like making sure my opposite knee is right in the middle of their butt so when I break guard it's a short transition to slide both legs out and end up with side control or mount. I noticed that you kept your knees apart, and he caught you in half guard while passing.

I have always had a hard time getting the 69 choke, so I usually hook their near leg and roll them up. Lot easier to choke, and control them from that position imo.

Keep up the hard work, it's definitely a plus your training partner is improving because you were tooling him at first. Now you'll notice more improvements in your own game because he is better.

I was gonna post me rolling with the big wrestler, but he no showed on me... so hopefully he comes back up Tuesday so I can contribute to this thread.

kaiz77
11-16-2007, 04:11 PM
awesome man....thanks for the look.....

and Yeah I do find myself getting caught in half guard when I pass, more times then not....Ill have to wok on that for sure!!......as for the 69 choke...it feels tight...and from the looks of the vids...I appear to be under his chin...weigh down...toes inching my body away.... so I dunno...

Ill tweak it around a little bit before next roll.....
Ohh....and usually the guy in my vids is not the only person training with me...he has the least experience actually with 2 months.....next week I should have 3 to 4 different guys....

Noob
11-16-2007, 05:32 PM
In video one, in the Scrima Side Control, make sure to control the far-side underhook. Your buddy was able to roll onto his side and keep you from effectively controlling him because you did not have the underhook. So keep that underhook, and stay chest-to-chest. You want to flatten him out.

Also, if he manages to roll to his side, as soon as he starts to move that direction you should be looking for the Brabo choke. It should be like breathing. As soon as he turns into you, Brabo.

Second video, when you're going for the 69 choke try keeping one of his arms in. You have long enough arms that you should be able to do that relatively easily. Having the arm in makes it harder for him to roll out. Use the hand-over grip, same one you would use for a guillotine choke.

Little trick: When using the hand-over grip, you don't have to grip your wrist. You can grip higher up on your forearm to create more pressure. This is especially true for the N/S choke.

Here is a picture of someone using this grip. They're using it for a Brabo, but the same idea applies. Just scoot your hand farther up your forearm to tighten the choke. This grip works a lot better than others for this particular choke.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1009/635600420_594823a536.jpg

kaiz77
11-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks Noob......yeah I def need to flatten him out...but I love the brabo so either way I guess..lol......that control will greatly up my game!!

ufobydeath
11-16-2007, 07:38 PM
I think I might know why you didn't get him with the kneebar... you should keep your legs at a 90* angle, and that way you get way more leverage on the knee. Check out this article http://www.grapplearts.com/Kneebar-Mastery.htm
It cleared up a lot of flaws in my game and made kneebars a hell of a lot easier to pull off!

Keep working, looking forward to the next video! :D

kaiz77
11-16-2007, 08:32 PM
I think I might know why you didn't get him with the kneebar... you should keep your legs at a 90* angle, and that way you get way more leverage on the knee. Check out this article http://www.grapplearts.com/Kneebar-Mastery.htm
It cleared up a lot of flaws in my game and made kneebars a hell of a lot easier to pull off!

Keep working, looking forward to the next video! :D

Cool...thanks man......Great advice on the kneebar......Ive heard that you should be at 90 degs also........I think I was pretty much there...I just am to scared to crank anything at all during training......

It was kind of funny because in the vid youll hear my buddy saying something like, "it doesnt hurt yet...I think my knees are just flexable".....but in my head I was kind of chuckling to myself thinking....flexable or not...knees arent made to bend over 180 degrees....lol......

Oh and Noob...on that grip you showed......is that a better grip then hand on bicep? (for a brabo)......or is it more personal preference...

Noob
11-16-2007, 09:00 PM
Oh and Noob...on that grip you showed......is that a better grip then hand on bicep? (for a brabo)......or is it more personal preference...

It depends on what you're going for.

Arm on bicep is better for a Brabo choke or an arm triangle. But it's not usually as good for a N/S choke on account of the different angle.

For N/S you want to grip it like it's a guillotine, because of the angle. If you're choking with the right arm, you want to grab your right forearm with your left hand. This allows you to finish the choke with an arm still in.

I prefer to finish with an arm in, as it gives you better control and makes it more difficult for your opponent to roll out.

kaiz77
11-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Ive always held my left forearm with my right hand when choking with my RIGHT arm......maybe the tap is as simple as switching my grip up....hope so...lol

now that I think about it...that was pretty dumb of me to do in the first place....lol......Im learnin'

NixHex
11-20-2007, 11:27 PM
http://gnightxx.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album01&id=MOV00670

Here's me (i'm the 160) and the big (270) wrestler, it's in a spare room in my house... no mats or anything. He only wanted to do 3 minutes because he had some brutal rug burns on his knees from last week lol.

There's a funny America's Funniest Home Video skit in the background that my girl is watching lol.

kaiz77
11-21-2007, 12:07 AM
Yeah thats a big guy.....lol....it appears that you did pretty well getting back to guard.....with heavier guys, I like to use a butterfly guard....so I can use my legs to shift him back or off balance to either side......If you work at it...it wont be as easy for him to just lay in your guard and smother you.....but that is a lot of weight...

It can only help though....keep up the good work..

NixHex
11-21-2007, 12:17 AM
Yeah thats a big guy.....lol....it appears that you did pretty well getting back to guard.....with heavier guys, I like to use a butterfly guard....so I can use my legs to shift him back or off balance to either side......If you work at it...it wont be as easy for him to just lay in your guard and smother you.....but that is a lot of weight...

It can only help though....keep up the good work..
Yeah, he's not small lol. I don't like butterfly guard with someone so big, . I do need to work on my butterfly guard though, that is the weakest part of my game. I do like one butterfly and one around the back, and I used that for a second only to try and get full guard. I'm not comfortable enough w/ him not just pinning my leg down and stepping over my butterfly guard. Then i'd be stuck in side control, and that's obviously a damn hassle to get out of with him. I think if it would've went on longer I would have sub'd him... I was happy with how relaxed I was able to stay (especially since we did a full workout ahead of this), and he was gassed. My cardio has been the most improved element for me.

kaiz77
11-21-2007, 12:41 AM
If your not comfortable with butterfly guard.....I also do sort of a side guard Id guess you'd call it.......its not quite a half butterfly because neither of your feet remain inside...

I set it up as follows....
Usually a deep overhook on his left arm..
my left leg wrapped as far around his body as possible...
and my right leg...foot on his hip/upper thigh..knee pinched tight, trapping his body pretty much under his armpit...and thus fairly easily defending a pass.....

smaller details....
if he tries to pass by shoving your knee down (the foot on his hip)....simply keep your elbow connected to your knee...he wont be able to....and keep your foot sturdy on his hip....use it to create space.......

the good thing about this open guard is you know which side he is trying to pass to...so youll be ready to defend it......
obviously...everything should remain pinched tight....knees, hook, etc......Ive had great success with this....

My goto from here is the triangle......
with your overhook drive him up and to your right so he has no option but to plant on his left hand (if you are overhooking his right arm).......from there ...keep the tight overhook and with your right hand grab his left (planted) wrist......stretch it out till you have enough room to bring your foot and leg though the gap and lock in the triangle...finish the choke...

You can also use this to sweep......make him plant one way...then roll him the other......switch to half butterfly at last second.....and chop his knees out from under him with one leg...while lifting with the butterfly hook and turning him over with the other...

Hope this helps a little bit....

NixHex
11-21-2007, 12:46 AM
I'll give that a try, good lookin out. With someone that size, working on a brand new technique will be a chore... but i'll give it a whirl next week.

kaiz77
11-21-2007, 04:37 PM
yupyup...gotta start somewhere!!

NixHex
11-28-2007, 12:21 AM
http://gnightxx.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album01&id=MOV00688

Here's the 3rd Round of the roll tonight.

The first had real good back & forth action, but after it was over I realized the camera had died lol. Slight edge to me in Round 1.

He dominated the 2nd Round but the vid ain't dl'in for some reason. He was in dominant position when the time ran out, he did yank my finger though at the end of the round which I bitched about. I'll get this up as soon as it works.

NixHex
11-28-2007, 07:26 AM
I got him w/ an ankle lock, but I did it very slow & under control... you can tell I was kind of hesitant to pull the move too. I didn't know what else I could do in that weird ass position, so I just put my feet in his armpits and tried to wiggle my legs out but that didn't work. I was trying to sweep but he's so huge he came crashing down before I could get out from underneath him.

ufobydeath
11-28-2007, 10:09 AM
I got him w/ an ankle lock, but I did it very slow & under control... you can tell I was kind of hesitant to pull the move too. I didn't know what else I could do in that weird ass position, so I just put my feet in his armpits and tried to wiggle my legs out but that didn't work. I was trying to sweep but he's so huge he came crashing down before I could get out from underneath him.

In that situation I would've gone for it as well... really weird position :huh:

NixHex
11-28-2007, 11:08 AM
In that situation I would've gone for it as well... really weird position :huh:
Yeah that was the first time i've ever been in that position lol. I'm usually successful w/ that sweep and starting a scramble, taking their back about half the time... but he's so huge he just came crashing down while I was trying to sneak out the back lol.

ufobydeath
11-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Yeah that was the first time i've ever been in that position lol. I'm usually successful w/ that sweep and starting a scramble, taking their back about half the time... but he's so huge he just came crashing down while I was trying to sneak out the back lol.

Haha, yeah I can see that being a problem :D

Let's all explore the possibilities from that position and see what we come up with. I don't know how many times we'll end up there but you never know

NixHex
11-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Haha, yeah I can see that being a problem :D

Let's all explore the possibilities from that position and see what we come up with. I don't know how many times we'll end up there but you never know
That's what I was trying to do when we went to that position, trying to see what was available. He was trying to ride up my stomach into a n/s type position, so I was pushing his legs away w/ my hands while pushing in his armpit w/ my feet so he couldn't ride up my stomach. I sat up and wanted to get my legs out so I could take his back, but he had a vice grip on my legs so that wasn't gonna happen. So I just had to take the ankle after all the other options were out. I just inverted the ankle a little bit to get him rolling, and then I brought my legs out when he rolled to secure the ankle lock.

I'm sure there'd be some decent sweeps available to the bottom guy, but w/ the size disadvantage in our case I didn't have enough strength to sweep him.

kaiz77
11-29-2007, 11:48 AM
Yeah bro.....thats an awkward spot...lol

With the size difference and the lack of mobility that the position gave you...the toehold is the only and the goto move that comes to mind....Ive actually been there before...and its a race situation.....first to toehold wins..

You could have used both hands to push off on his ass, to sort of shrimp out of there and take his back.....but.......your pants would have probably came off...and nobody wants to see that.....lol

Warrior Mac
12-04-2007, 06:11 PM
how do i up load a vid on this

kaiz77
12-04-2007, 06:36 PM
just upload to youtube er something.....then post a link or embed it from there...

Warrior Mac
12-05-2007, 12:43 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VPf6xgzw8sI i couldnt figure out how to put the vid up but here it is. It was a good experience and had alot of fun competeting hope u enjoy it. i am wearing the red belt

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VPf6xgzw8sI&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VPf6xgzw8sI&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

(Video added by Noob).

NixHex
12-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Congrats, and well done. How long have you been training?

kaiz77
12-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Very cool man.....nice contribution!!....keep up the good work!

Warrior Mac
12-05-2007, 11:55 PM
this was my first fight in a tournment. weight class 155-170 iam usually 145-155 so it was a good acomplisment.

Warrior Mac
12-05-2007, 11:55 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VPf6xgzw8sI

Paytheplayer
12-06-2007, 12:59 AM
this was my first fight in a tournment. weight class 155-170 iam usually 145-155 so it was a good acomplisment.
Nice

Warrior Mac
12-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Thansks alot guys for your feed back i have a couple more iwill post them after. ive been traing for about 8 months. iam really wanna make it a living i got a taste of victory and its sweet

Warrior Mac
12-07-2007, 02:14 PM
this was my secound fight i could only get the over time footage cause the other file was to big to download. in this fight iam wearing the red belt with confused me cause he was the wight fighter and i was wearing the white gi. in this fight the ref gives him the advange with one min left so i had to kick it into gear.and take the advantage with like 10 secounds left. i couldnt pass this guys guard.http://youtube.com/watch?v=4lUFOJEJUVA

mcdev88
12-21-2007, 01:14 AM
hey guys i am gonna try and get some vids up of me rolling with some guys tht are going to a grappling tourney with me in a couple months. i

m not guarenteing anyhting cuz im technologically retarded, lol but ill do my best.

ozzy2525
01-01-2008, 11:16 AM
I typed my name into youtube and some asshole put a video of me losing on there. So I guess I'll post it. BTW I have since beat this guy twice. No excuses in this one though, I just wrestled like shit. This guy is very good though and is Cuba's #1 HW freestyle wrestler
Oh yeah keep in mind I was about 220 here, and Rodriguez was about 260. It was right in my transition from 209 back to heavyweight. Im back up to about 255 now

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IZ9Q9hPo0ug&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IZ9Q9hPo0ug&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Man arew you serious? Thats you? I had no idea that we had a Olymipic caliber wrestler on this forum. What are some of your favorite takedowns? and what are you doing now

baba
01-01-2008, 08:25 PM
That dude looks a lot bigger than you. When I first watched I was thinking, "knees from the clinch!". I think I watch too much MMA.

baba
01-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Yeah he had about 40 lbs on me at the time. I would have loved to throw a few knees to his gut. What little English this guy does speek, he likes to talk shit during matches. Not a very classy guy

Though you would have gotten DQ'd, it woulda been priceless to see you land one right in his grill and drop him. lol

mcdev88
01-14-2008, 01:52 AM
hey guys got some vids. i need help though, i dont know how to upload them... so if anybody could help id appreciate it.

Warrior Mac
01-14-2008, 11:52 PM
hey guys got some vids. i need help though, i dont know how to upload them... so if anybody could help id appreciate it.

first upload it to youtube.com. then copy the link and paste it to your thread

mcdev88
01-15-2008, 12:03 AM
first upload it to youtube.com. then copy the link and paste it to your thread
yeah thats what im having trouble with. youtube says they are too big.

Warrior Mac
01-15-2008, 12:06 AM
yeah thats what im having trouble with. youtube says they are too big.

thats crazy look up a different sight google it

mcdev88
01-15-2008, 11:04 PM
well i dunno. it wont work on anything i have tried. this sux

Warrior Mac
01-16-2008, 12:22 AM
if u want you can email them to me and ill put them on mine

mcdev88
01-16-2008, 06:09 PM
if u want you can email them to me and ill put them on mine
HAHA!!!! i figured it out. <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zdTgdC897PU"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zdTgdC897PU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
i am the one with the blue sprawl shorts and the white and blue under armour. i finished this one with an arm triangle.

mcdev88
01-17-2008, 10:53 PM
i should have another one up by tonight. cmon guys wheres the reponses. lol

edit: alright here is number 2. arm bar finish.

object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p6S2Vc3yK5U"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p6S2Vc3yK5U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Warrior Mac
02-13-2008, 12:27 PM
YouTube - Charlie Bankuti ascension jiu-jitsu 2008 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=SXp0fYFO2q0)

YouTube - Charlie Bankuti ascension jiu-jitsu 2008 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=2k2KrxtTkAI)

mcdev88
02-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Nice armbar mcdev. Were you both going 100&#37;?
no. i have 30 lbs or so on that guy and im alot stronger. i was just trying to help him get ready for a tournament. i was going 50-60&#37;. i am alot faster than that. i wouldve got better vids in a better setting but i was at a friends house and we had a camera.