PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Nutrition Experts

Afro
11-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Ok, I am 5'10 189 lbs exactly.

I got a question about supplements/nutrition, and training.. more-so supplements and nutrition.

Lets say I wanted to lose weight till I was down to 155, maybe lower and lets say I wanted to be under 10% body fat as well, but I wanted to build muscle and be able to move up in weight without gaining fat, and I wanted to be around 155 with no fat as well

basically, if you watch Boxing.. I wanna be able to do what Roy Jones Jr did.. he moved up from 160 to 200 lbs

so help me out here, im basically curious to how Boxers do this (and please no smart ass answers like ahhh there all on steroids) what supplements help with this, what kind of training helps with this, what kind of diet, etc. I would appreciate the help.

Clint
11-07-2007, 03:51 PM
It pretty much comes down to volume.
If you want to lose weight and retain muscle you want to eat plenty of proteins and veggies with any processed carbs being PWO and lift heavy while doing things like HIIT for cardio.

For gaining muscle without much fat you want to eat the same things but a few more carbs (morning is a good time) but just in a much larger amount. Also you would want to up your lifting and decrease your HIIT (but still do some cardio just taper it down a bit)

Clint
11-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Here are a pair of links that should be good for bulking without gaining fat:
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/masseating_rl_1.htm
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/masseating_rl_2.htm

I should note that I have very little experience with clean bulking as I am always working on going the opposite direction.

Noob
11-07-2007, 07:41 PM
So that I'm sure I understand this correctly, what are you trying to do?

Are you trying to lose weight, or gain it?

Or are you trying to do a little of both at the same time?

Afro
11-07-2007, 08:21 PM
So that I'm sure I understand this correctly, what are you trying to do?

Are you trying to lose weight, or gain it?

Or are you trying to do a little of both at the same time?
Im trying to lose weight, then gain weight but not too much.. Ideally I would want to be around 160-170.. with little body fat. I dont wanna be too skinny, or too big.

but thats just want I want to do, I also wanna know how boxers like Roy Jones are able to move up from 160 to 200 and even move down and so on.

Noob
11-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Okay, well in my experience it's best to do one then the other. If you want to be really lean it's probably best to cut first, then add. Clint should weigh in on this as well.

For cutting, I think Clint would probably know more than I. He stated above that that is usually the direction he heads in.

Good luck buddy.

Afro
11-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Right now im taking Hydroxycut and trying to get to around 160 before I start catch wrestling

Whats the consensus on Hydroxycut? I hear Hydroxycut Hardcore is good, not the one I got (got it for free) I got the regular weight-loss one.

Noob
11-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Right now im taking Hydroxycut and trying to get to around 160 before I start catch wrestling

Whats the consensus on Hydroxycut? I hear Hydroxycut Hardcore is good, not the one I got (got it for free) I got the regular weight-loss one.

I'm not much of a fan of Hydroxycut for anything. But I'm not keen on stimulants in general for weight loss.

How long do you have to get down to 160, and what is your body fat % right now?

Afro
11-08-2007, 09:22 PM
I'm not much of a fan of Hydroxycut for anything. But I'm not keen on stimulants in general for weight loss.

How much weight do you need to lose to get down to 160, and how long do you have to get there?
30 lbs, and I got awhile school doesnt end till december I prolly wont start till n next year.

Noob
11-08-2007, 10:05 PM
30 lbs, and I got awhile school doesnt end till december I prolly wont start till n next year.

30 pounds is a fair amount of weight to cut in 2-3 months. What's your bodyfat % look like?

Afro
11-08-2007, 10:15 PM
30 pounds is a fair amount of weight to cut in 2-3 months. What's your bodyfat % look like?
No clue

Noob
11-08-2007, 10:22 PM
No clue

http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/training/body_fat/body_fat_percentage.html

Go there for a quick estimate. It's not going to be dead accurate, but it will be close enough for an estimation.

How much weight you will be able to easily lose depends on how much you're carrying. If you are at 10% body fat right now then it will be damned hard for you to lose 30 pounds period, let alone in 2-3 months.

Afro
11-08-2007, 10:38 PM
Lol, according to this im at 17.5%

let me see if I did this right

yep, 17.5%

Noob
11-08-2007, 10:52 PM
Lol, according to this im at 16
Those are good for estimates, but they are not pinpoint accurate. They will work to give us an idea though.

So you weigh 190 right now. With 16% bodyfat that means you are carrying around 30 pounds of fat.

Some fat is necessary obviously. You need some fat for your organs to function normally, and your body uses lipids for a number of biological processes. 16% is about average for a young male. Because America is the land of the McSuperSize, it's probably actually below average, but all the same.

Point being, you're not obese. It's going to be tough to shed 30 pounds in 2-3 months. Possible, but difficult.

Clint is more knowledgable than me about this, so I'm sure he can add some concrete recommendations. My basic list of guidelines:

-

Pretty much stop drinking calories. No more sodas, sugar drinks, nothing. You want to lose weight, start drinking water and only water. If you get sick of water, get those little taste-powders from the store. They have a dozen or so flavors and they are calorie-free.
If you cook, start using olive oil and other 'good' oils. Lean meats and lots of veggies. If you don't cook, learn. At least some basic stuff.
Keep your fat intake low. Not nonexistent, but low.
Eat smaller meals more frequently throughout the day. This sounds simple, but it makes a big difference. Especially over the course of a few months.
Eat good. This also sounds really stupid, but use common sense. Everyone knows what they shouldn't be eating a lot of. Eat clean. This will make more of an impact that you probably think. Possibly a lot more.
Cheat a little bit. Don't be overly strict about your diet. This is how people fail. Your body needs some cheat meals. This is especially true if you don't eat any fats. If you get no fat intake, your body will start to hoard what fat you do have. If this happens, good luck losing weight. So cheat, but just a little. As a general rule, cheat once every ten meals or so. Or twice a week. Start there, see how your body response and change it up as necessary.
Low intensity, long-duration cardio. It sucks, but that's because it works. Find something you don't hate to do. For me, it's cycling. I can put on some music and spin around the city and have some fun. I almost forget that it's exercise. I suggest you find something similar that you can do. Maybe ride your bike to school if that's possible. Something. High intensity is good, but for fat loss you want longer duration and lower intensity.
Baby steps. Don't drastically change everything overnight. That's a very good way to make sure you don't accomplish much. Make a few small improvements. Once those stick, add to them. Then give it time and add again. Repeat until you're happy with the results, and tweak little things from there.

-

Like I said, Clint will likely have some very good advice for you too. In my experience, these are some good basic ground rules.

Good luck buddy.