PDA

View Full Version : Sub that catches you?

NixHex
11-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Everybody's got one, that sub that just seems to get put on ya more often than any other. Nobody be shy and act like they don't get sub'd, because anybody in here that trains BJJ would know that's a lie lol.

For me it's heel hooks/ankle locks. When i'm on bottom I pay so much attention to my rubber guard and trying to control posture that I neglect my defense. I try to pay more attention to it, but once I get working on my offense from my back I neglect my ankles yet again. I do a decent job rising up with it, but when that doesn't work I get locked up.

Noob
11-07-2007, 04:53 PM
There is an Americana that a guy at my gym does. He uses his gi to set it up. He catches me with that all the damned time. It's so fucking frustrating. I can see it coming from a mile away, and can't do a thing to stop it.

Also gi chokes. I'm not nearly as savvy with using the gi as a weapon, so I am even less savvy about defending it as a weapon. So any attacks that involve the gi are pretty much guaranteed taps for me.

jedlehman87
11-07-2007, 08:18 PM
I roll a lot and get caught with the lapel chole frequently. I am pretty good with the gi, been training about a year and a half and very close to getting my blue belt. What belt are you guys??

jedlehman87
11-07-2007, 08:21 PM
BTW Noob, I live in norman, ok. You should rep me for that so I can see the video section. It sucks not being able to.

Noob
11-07-2007, 08:44 PM
BTW Noob, I live in norman, ok. You should rep me for that so I can see the video section. It sucks not being able to.

Haha. A good way of receiving rep is to post in the Grappling forum. There aren't a lot of guy that post in here, and there should be more.

All good deeds are rewarded. Posting in the Grappling forum is a very good deed.

kaiz77
11-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Lately its been the triangle choke......Ive been experimenting with different guard passes a lot....so Im still working on some of the kinks....

But it has helped with my ablilty to escape it though:grinsmile1: ..Id say 4 out of 5 times being caught in it....I can at least manage to avoid being tapped in a 4 min round......Id say 3 out of those 5 times I get clear out of harms way.....but I still havent mastered it the way I want to........just seems like Im muscling my escape too much...like theres gotta be better technique I can execute................(this is what I doing for homework this week)

ufobydeath
11-08-2007, 07:10 PM
The Americana/V-arm lock gets me every time, and I hate it! It's gotten so bad that everyone at my gym goes for it whenever we roll :angry4:
The worst part is, of course, that I see it coming a mile away but never manage to stop it!

kaiz77
11-08-2007, 07:53 PM
The Americana/V-arm lock gets me every time, and I hate it! It's gotten so bad that everyone at my gym goes for it whenever we roll :angry4:
The worst part is, of course, that I see it coming a mile away but never manage to stop it!

Where do they catch it from? Like...when do you feel most vulnerable to it?

ufobydeath
11-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Where do they catch it from? Like...when do you feel most vulnerable to it?

Side-mount usually... never had anyone catch me with it from mount

Noob
11-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Side-mount usually... never had anyone catch me with it from mount

I'm assuming it's the far-side arm that they are going for. The arm in front of their face, not the one you put on their hip

With that arm, get an underhook.

So let's say they have you in side control. They are on your left side. They are going to try and get the Americana on your right arm. From here, get an underhook with your right arm.

Not only will this help defend the Americana, but it also gives you an easy escape route. You can push the underhook up, and shrimp your hips out at the same time.

I use this escape a lot. It's kind of obvious once you get the underhook, but it's still useful. At the very least you won't be caught in an Americana anymore.

ufobydeath
11-08-2007, 08:12 PM
I'm assuming it's the far-side arm that they are going for. The arm in front of their face, not the one you put on their hip

So let's say they have you in side control. They are on your left side. They are going to try and get the Americana on your right arm. From here, get an underhook with your right arm.

Not only will this help defend the Americana, but it also gives you an easy escape route. You can push the underhook up, and shrimp your hips out at the same time.

I use this escape a lot. It's kind of obvious once you get the underhook, but it's still useful. At the very least you won't be caught in an Americana anymore.

Thanks man, I'll work on that come next practice!

NixHex
11-08-2007, 08:18 PM

As soon as someone passes my guard into side control, I work for double underhooks or over/underhook immediately

Noob
Thanks man, I'll work on that come next practice!

It can't be embedded, but this is a very good example of what I'm describing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTnW0MxrcKA

Marcelo is explaining this more as an escape, but as long as you have that far-side underhook, there is no way for the person on top of you to get an Americana.

It does kind of open you up for the Brabo, so you have to be careful. But like all things it's a calculated risk.

Good luck, and make sure to let us know how it goes.

As soon as someone passes my guard into side control, I work for double underhooks or over/underhook immediately

Underhooks are so important. That was one of the first big lessons I learned. Overhooks can be used offensively from guard and a few other positions, but especially as a beginner it is underhooks that become more important.

More control, more safety. Just a lot easier to stay alive and put yourself in good position with underhooks. Though it can fuck your shoulders up if you get overzealous.

ufobydeath
Everybody's got one, that sub that just seems to get put on ya more often than any other. Nobody be shy and act like they don't get sub'd, because anybody in here that trains BJJ would know that's a lie lol.

For me it's heel hooks/ankle locks. When i'm on bottom I pay so much attention to my rubber guard and trying to control posture that I neglect my defense. I try to pay more attention to it, but once I get working on my offense from my back I neglect my ankles yet again. I do a decent job rising up with it, but when that doesn't work I get locked up.

Well, first thing you should do if he manages to catch you is to put your foot squarely on the mat so that he can't crank it, and then either explode up into him or try to wiggle out. Foot on the mat is essential though.

It can't be embedded, but this is a very good example of what I'm describing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTnW0MxrcKA

Marcelo is explaining this more as an escape, but as long as you have that far-side underhook, there is no way for the person on top of you to get an Americana.

It does kind of open you up for the Brabo, so you have to be careful. But like all things it's a calculated risk.

Good luck, and make sure to let us know how it goes.

This tech is a lot smoother that the one I've learned... which is good as my noodle-arms aren't that strong. Thanks man!

Noob
11-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Well, first thing you should do if he manages to catch you is to put your foot squarely on the mat so that he can't crank it, and then either explode up into him or try to wiggle out. Foot on the mat is essential though.

I like to put the other foot on the hip and explode away. It's not overly technical, but if you are squirmy enough it works. You have to anticipate it though. Once it's sunk in, it's over.

As soon as you can tell they are fishing for a leg lock, start creating distance. I don't pretend to be an expert, but the idea of being leglocked scares me because of the potential for injury. So I make damned sure to be very very hard to hold on to.

NixHex
11-08-2007, 08:30 PM

This tech is a lot smoother that the one I've learned... which is good as my noodle-arms aren't that strong. Thanks man!
I'll try that next time somebody tries to pull it on me. Good lookin out.

ufobydeath
11-08-2007, 08:31 PM
I like to put the other foot on the hip and explode away. It's not overly technical, but if you are squirmy enough it works. You have to anticipate it though. Once it's sunk in, it's over.

As soon as you can tell they are fishing for a leg lock, start creating distance. I don't pretend to be an expert, but the idea of being leglocked scares me because of the potential for injury. So I make damned sure to be very very hard to hold on to.

Yeah, that's another way to do it, but you've got to have some reaction speed and either get it before you're caught (i.e. he's got a firm hook on you) or if he starts to release pressure. The main reason that I don't like to do this though is the injury risk... jerking your leg around in a submission isn't really the safest thing to do.

Best defense is to be squirmy and never ever ever give up a leg (and I see so many guys do this when I roll with them, and that's why they get caught all the time) and keep your guard tight. Should he go for it anyway then make sure he can't isolate your leg. Also, if he goes for a figure-four grip around the leg... he doesn't know what he's doing and you can stay pretty calm. ;)

NixHex
11-08-2007, 08:32 PM

This is what I usually try to do, but with the more experienced BJJ guys they put the clamps on my leg while i'm trying to pull out. When that doesn't work I just start gator rolling, and trying to wiggle it out lol. Not sure if that is very technical or not, but I too panic when someone is grabbing onto my ankles.... maybe that's why it catches me more than anything else. I panic and lose track of technique.

willieshatner
11-19-2007, 10:48 PM
I think I'm kinda suspect for getting caught in armlocks. Americanas, armbars, got caught in a bicep slicer last week (fucking ouch)

calibeck
11-20-2007, 03:50 AM
Gi chokes always get me, I still think like a wrestler so I only really notice my gi when I'm going for gi chokes on others.

DirtyDirtBiker
11-20-2007, 06:16 AM
Shit my problem seems to be key locks, I started getting cought by them pretty often before, but I learned to keep my hands a bit tighter to my body to provent those.