PDA

View Full Version : What's the Dif b/t Frozen Vegs and Raw Vegs?

Bullock
11-08-2007, 03:02 AM
Anybody know. Frozen is way cheaper.

Clint
11-08-2007, 04:48 AM
There are actually benefits to both. Frozen has more vitamins and fresh has more micronutrients/dietary enzymes.

So go frozen all you want. I stick with frozen as much as possible, otherwise the shit always ends up spoiled.

Clint
11-08-2007, 06:49 AM
Is that for fruits and vegie's clint?
Yeah since they are frozen right after harvesting they both have more vitamins than fresh, because the air/warmth degrades the nutrients.

Dork8503
11-08-2007, 10:31 AM
One is cold an you have to thaw it out

puhalu
11-08-2007, 07:18 PM
There are also smaller amounts of preservatives in frozen (since they're frozen right away, there's no need to spray them to keep them pretty).
This saves the farmer money and you don't eat as many potentially nasty chemicals.
I buy frozen when I can

Doggage
11-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Wikipedia

In general, boiling vegetables can cause them to lose important nutrients, including vitamins and those that prevent cancer. In particular, Vitamins C and Folic acid are seceptible to loss during the commercial process.

Over the years, there has been controversy as to whether frozen vegetables are better or worse than fresh ones. Generally, reports show that frozen vegetables are not so much nutritionally different from fresh ones.

According to the Food and Drug Administration, based on a 1998 report, frozen vegetables have the same nutrients and health benefits as their fresh counterparts [1]. A 2003 Austrian study found that frozen vegetables are nutritionally better than out-of-season imported fresh ones [2].

However, there have been some risks found with eating frozen vegetables. For example, a 2007 Australian study found that frozen vegetables may contain a bacteria called "map," which can thrive at very cold at hot temperatures, and may be responsible for Crohn's disease. [3]

Not all products classified as frozen vegetables can be viewed as health foods. On June 2, 2003, the USDA classified frozen French fries as a frozen vegetable [4].

On a side note, I think that frozen tastes better and I buy it the majority of the time.

Metalhead
11-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Basically like Clint was saying, frozen is picked and frozen at the exact right time where it's full of nutrients. Fresh on the other hand isn't necessarily fresh. It could be transported on a truck for hundreds of miles, maybe months before it gets to the store. Now if you get something picked at a local farm chances are it's going to be better. The 100 mile diet is a great way to go (although not always feesable)

Bullock
11-09-2007, 03:48 AM
Frozen is much cheaper too, so I will start buying that.

DirtyDirtBiker
11-25-2007, 11:06 PM
Ok this was a good read. I actually eat a lot of frozen veggies (fruits I get fresh) and if anyone is interested, I read you should be eating about 6-9 servings of veggies per day.

kokaine
12-30-2007, 08:04 AM
There are also smaller amounts of preservatives in frozen (since they're frozen right away, there's no need to spray them to keep them pretty).
This saves the farmer money and you don't eat as many potentially nasty chemicals.
I buy frozen when I can

hmm nice info i used to get frozen anyhow ..