PDA

View Full Version : Side Control Submissions

Kimuras"R"Us
11-08-2007, 09:32 PM
Now I know a lot of subs from side control and don't have a problem getting to this position.

What I was wondering is how do you like to set certain submissions up? Do you distract with a choke etc....? I'm a bigger guy and love to americana / kimura / head and arm triangle the shit out of people. Any setups for these moves, or any other subs I'd love to hear.

I'm glad this forum picked up i love every second of it.

NixHex
11-08-2007, 11:40 PM
I like side control more than mount. My favorite setup is using an Americana or Straight Arm Bar for a distraction while sliding the knee on belly... showing like you're trying to mount. This usually puts an armbar right in front of me that I more than gladly take. I use the shin on the side of the body (top rib/under arm) rather than working it all the way over the chest.

It is nice that this sub forum is picking up.

Kimuras"R"Us
11-08-2007, 11:56 PM
I like side control more than mount. My favorite setup is using an Americana or Straight Arm Bar for a distraction while sliding the knee on belly... showing like you're trying to mount. This usually puts an armbar right in front of me that I more than gladly take. I use the shin on the side of the body (top rib/under arm) rather than working it all the way over the chest.

It is nice that this sub forum is picking up.

Are you going for the armbar with the arm you are using the "armlock distraction" on or the arm under you when they attempt to push your knee on belly off? Just wondering I know an armbar off the far arm not the one you have trapped.

NixHex
11-09-2007, 12:10 AM
Are you going for the armbar with the arm you are using the "armlock distraction" on or the arm under you when they attempt to push your knee on belly off? Just wondering I know an armbar off the far arm not the one you have trapped.
I armbar the arm closest to me. When i'm working the armlock, and working for dominant position i've had a lot of people react with putting that closest arm either toward their armlocked arm or onto my knee. Either way it's been successful for me to hook their near arm while coming back with the armbar.

I don't have pics so i'll give a better step-by-step

Side Control on their right side
Working armlock on their left arm
Put my right knee onto their belly
Trap their right arm with my left arm
Pull armbar swinging left leg over face and right knee in their side.

Noob
11-09-2007, 05:40 AM
Now I know a lot of subs from side control and don't have a problem getting to this position.

What I was wondering is how do you like to set certain submissions up? Do you distract with a choke etc....? I'm a bigger guy and love to americana / kimura / head and arm triangle the shit out of people. Any setups for these moves, or any other subs I'd love to hear.

I'm glad this forum picked up i love every second of it.

My side control is probably my best position. I don't have a ton of techniques from it, but I have kind of an odd game that seems to be effective for some reason.

Long description, but it's always been really effective for me:

From side control. You are in top position, and off to the right. So if we start from N/S, you would rotate your body counter-clockwise 90 degrees.

When in side control, your opponent's near arm can be in one of two places. It can either be in your hip, in a normal defensive posture, or it can be outside of your hips and along the right left of your body.

We want it outside and along your body. There are a number of ways to get it here, but in the interests of not writing a novel I will just assume it is already there.

From this position, you want to transition to scarfhold. So you still have the underhook with your right arm on the far side, and now your hips have switched.

Should look like this:

http://judoinfo.com/images/osaekomi/kuzure_kesa_gatame.gif

In this position you are holding your opponent's right arm right to your body, by controlling the triceps. For the next step, we want to create space between your body and his right arm.

From here, you want to release the pressure on his triceps. As you release you want to snake your left hand upward through his armpit.

You are snaking your hand upward along your stomach toward your chest, until you are sufficiently between your opponent's arm and your own body.

Once here, you want to push his arm away from you with your forearm. This space you are creating is crucial.

Now, with your forearm between your own body and his arm, you want to start scooting your hips back. Scoot them back so that the back of your butt is pressing against your opponent's right hip. There should now be a fair amount of space between your hips and your opponent's elbow.

You should still have the far-side underhook for control purposes. You never let go of this during the move.

Now, this is the important part: Once you have this distance with your hips backed away from your opponent's right arm, you want to use your left forearm to push his arm to the floor.

You need to get his arm to the floor using your forearm, but not your hand. The hand is too easy to overpower. You want to bush it down using your forearm.

Once his arm in on the ground, you bring your left knee across your body and between his body and your own arm. I know this is confusing. From outside-to-inside, it should be your left arm, then your knee, then his body. This is all while you are still using your left arm to pin his arm to the mat.

Once you have this, you put pressure down on your knee to continue pinning your opponent's arm. Now you can lift up with your left arm, and move it behind the head for further control. Your right knee now goes into your opponent's right hip just like normal side control.

This is already fucking long, and this is just the beginning of this position. There are other entries to it, and I've only described how to get to it. I didn't even list off how to attack or transition, or troubleshoot.

It's hard to describe without pictures, but this position really is awesome. By pinning that leg with your foot, you completely eliminate that side of your opponent's body. Unless you are at a huge size/strength disadvantage, that side of their body is useless. Completely dead.

From here it becomes easier to look for keylocks on the other side, also easier to transition to mount because you only have one of their arms to worry about.

If anyone likes this idea, or this position, I will try to put together some photos and further descriptions of how the position works. It is by far my favorite position, and one from which I am usually almost guaranteed either a submission or a transition to mount.

NixHex
11-09-2007, 07:58 AM
Do you pin their right arm down with your left leg? Or do you just eliminate their arm by putting your body between their arm & body?

I'm interested in seeing what you got on this, because side control is my fav. and most dominant position.

Noob
11-09-2007, 08:07 AM
Do you pin their right arm down with your left leg? Or do you just eliminate their arm by putting your body between their arm & body?

I'm interested in seeing what you got on this, because side control is my fav. and most dominant position.

You pin their right arm with your left leg. You can let it slide between your legs, but it doesn't offer as much control and it is fairly easy for them to squirm their arm back out. I try not to ever use this position.

Go here:

http://forums.mmanews.com/showthread.php?t=17916

I did a whole write-up on it.

NixHex
11-09-2007, 08:13 AM
You pin their right arm with your left leg. You can let it slide between your legs, but it doesn't offer as much control and it is fairly easy for them to squirm their arm back out. I try not to ever use this position.

Go here:

http://forums.mmanews.com/showthread.php?t=17916

I did a whole write-up on it.
I get it, like a crucifix with a twist.

Yeah I seen your new thread after I posted here... I wrote something over there too lol.