PDA

View Full Version : Marquardt would welcome fight with Franklin, but....

speranman
11-09-2007, 07:40 PM
UFC call comes for Marquardt

"We have been in contact with them. (UFC matchmaker) Joe Silva called this week to talk about my next fight and to discuss a new contract," Marquardt told Brawl Sports late Thursday. When asked about the likelihood of reaching an agreement to continue fighting in the UFC, Marquardt was upbeat, "I'm very confident it will happen."

Marquardt has one fight left on his current pact with the UFC. It's been a solid run for the 28-year-old seven-time King of Pancrase titlist. He won his first four UFC bouts before being stopped by Silva at UFC 73.

The Greg Jackson-trained fighter expects to fight again early next year. As for an opponent, Marquardt would welcome a matchup with Rich Franklin.

"I definitely want to fight Rich, but I have a feeling it's not going to happen," he said. "I just talked to Rich, and he thinks he wants to take some time and fight in the next few months. I want to fight as soon as I can."

Marquardt (25-7-2) is eager for a win over a top-flight 185-pounder to get him on the fast track toward another shot at the title, but finding that launching-pad opponent in the UFC is tough. There's a dearth of talent in the division right now. Beyond Franklin, there simply isn't a name bigger than Marquardt's.

http://blogs.chron.com/fighting/2007/11/ufc_call_comes_for_marquardt.html

Gmunit
11-09-2007, 08:18 PM
Marquart vs Okami

(that is, if they sign him back)

Jarico
11-09-2007, 09:07 PM
They really need to bring Filho to the UFC. Marquart could beat on Leben/Quarry/Fake Mike Tyson/Kampmann. I would really like to see him vs Kampmann any word on when will he be healthy?

Brutus
11-10-2007, 07:45 AM
Marquart vs Okami

(that is, if they sign him back)

that was the first thought i had. there are definate tiers in this division w/ anderson holding his own tier as well as franklin IMO. Marquart is the next in line below Franklin. the other matchups in the MW division really dont mean shit at this point. Bring Filho in. Even if he wont fight Silva.

Dork8503
11-10-2007, 07:48 AM
Nate vs Leben

Brutus
11-10-2007, 07:50 AM
Nate vs Leben

i think if this fight takes place, nate would take him down and dominate on the ground. i dont see leben tko'in him or anything like that. marquart is too smart for that. marquart by ud.

if it stays on the feet the first round i see leben by TKO in round 2

markzabin
11-10-2007, 11:40 AM
They really need to bring Filho to the UFC. Marquart could beat on Leben/Quarry/Fake Mike Tyson/Kampmann. I would really like to see him vs Kampmann any word on when will he be healthy?
Kampmann should be ready to fight early in 08' although no opponent has been named

lostlineman
11-12-2007, 07:07 PM
would it really matter if he fought franklin? the spider will dominate either one of these guys, and he has already proven that. they are both great fighters but not in silvas class or even close. i would hope franklin doesnt fight silva again i dont know how many times the doctors can put that nose straight with out serious damage being done. the only one who could possibly give silva a run is hendo, whether or not he will drop weght classes is the only problem. i cant say i really blame him after watching franklin get absolutely destroyed. anderson silva is a scary sob.

ArMnHC
11-12-2007, 07:49 PM
im betting it'll be Marquardt vs. Macdonald or Marquardt vs. Cote id love to see him dominate both those guys! :grinsmile1: