PDA

View Full Version : BJJ Belt Levels

deeznizzies
11-10-2007, 07:00 PM
noob, wanna help me out?

i tried to post this in noob jack but wasn't allowed for some reason...

Noob
11-10-2007, 07:23 PM
Good now?

deeznizzies
11-10-2007, 07:25 PM
cool.. thanks homie.. don't know why i didn't think of this forum...

now, anyone have an answer? thanks....

Noob
11-10-2007, 07:28 PM
No problem. It's what I'm here for.

I have an answer, if you have a question, lol. You haven't asked anything yet.

BJJ Boy
11-10-2007, 08:20 PM
In my old club we did : White, Blue, Purple, Brown and black
In my new clubd we do: White,Yellow, orange, Green, blue, purple, brown, black

I personally like my first club rank system.

unquiet
11-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Alright funny guys, I'm sure he's asking what people's belt levels, experience, etc. are. This is actually helpful to know who is answering our questions regarding technique or other advice.

I guess I've been training for about a year. White belt in bjj and no-gi. I've competed 4 times.

And if he wasn't asking this question, well he should have been.

valheruking
11-10-2007, 08:25 PM
White,Yellow, orange, Green, blue, purple, brown, black
Yea, thats a pretty common system in a lot of martial arts, with different levels of white and brown belt sometimes.

AJL416AZ
11-10-2007, 08:50 PM
the real BJJ belt system:
white, blue, purple, brown, black

if you're in a BJJ gym, and they claim to be official, and use more colors, they are full of shit.

and it takes on average, 2-3 years of consistent training to get a blue belt, 5-6 for a purple, and 8-9 for a brown, much more for a black. this is just what i have heard, and everyone has their own learning speed, so you could be a blue in a year or 5.

Frasedog
11-10-2007, 08:53 PM
At my gym it is white, blue, purple, brown, black for adults.

The yellow, orange, and green belts are only for kids.

He also doesn't award stripes, or degrees for any belts other than black, that I have seen.

valheruking
11-10-2007, 08:59 PM
The yellow, orange, and green belts are only for kids. .
Yea, i've got 2 Brazilian friends, Pedro da Silva and Ariel da Cruz, both started bjj in brazil when they were about 8 (pretty common), and i know for sure that they had to get yellow, orange, green etc

Frasedog
11-10-2007, 09:01 PM

if you're in a BJJ gym, and they claim to be official, and use more colors, they are full of shit.

and it takes on average, 2-3 years of consistent training to get a blue belt, 5-6 for a purple, and 8-9 for a brown, much more for a black. this is just what i have heard, and everyone has their own learning speed, so you could be a blue in a year or 5.
Sounds a bit long to me. Most guys at my gym reach blue belt in 6-12 months. Blue to purple can certainly take years. One of my other instructors I believe achieved his black belt in 7 or 8 years, but it sounds like he was a bit of a prodigy, picking things up faster than average. Hereis what Wikipedia says regarding the yellow, orange, and green belts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bjj#Graduation

Some schools use slightly different belt systems, such as having more colored belts before blue belt, but the above are the only widely accepted ranks as they are the standards for tournaments. There are minimum age requirements for belt promotions. Blue belts are never awarded to anyone under the age of 16. For promotion to black belt the minimum age is 19 years old according to the main regulating body of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, the International Federation of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

Noob
11-10-2007, 09:03 PM

That's not necessarily true.

Yellow, orange, and green are common colors for children's ranks. And I believe they are applicable up to 15 years of age.

American Top Team also has a green inbetween white and blue. It's a fairly common system, and there are an increasing number of schools that use it.

The school I was at for a few months before coming to Spain used it, as they were affiliated with Renato Tavares who is out of ATT.

yeomans
11-10-2007, 09:22 PM
i have been doing bjj on and off for about 6 years now and i just got my purple belt last month.
it just depends in how much time you put into it and how good you can learn, some people take longer or less time to get their belts.

ozzy2525
11-11-2007, 12:18 AM
Been doing BJJ for a year, I am still a white belt

Dr. MMA
11-11-2007, 01:34 AM
the reason other colours are added is to reward you for your progress. When you are at one colour for 4 years, it can seem like you're not moving forward

A colour in between can show that that progress and avoid that frustration

jcurin
11-11-2007, 03:28 AM
my gym (gracia barra affiliate) uses the white, blue, purple, brown, black system...with the other colors (yellow, green, etc) for junior/child rankings. once a junior green belt turns 16 he's a blue belt. I think this is standard practice for most all bjj gyms.

also we do 'stripes' as mini promotions within a belt which is also a standard practice i think (same as 'dans' in judo).

i've been training for two years, wrestled competitively for 6, and just received my blue belt.

Palma
11-11-2007, 04:01 AM
Sounds a bit long to me. Most guys at my gym reach blue belt in 6-12 months. Blue to purple can certainly take years. One of my other instructors I believe achieved his black belt in 7 or 8 years, but it sounds like he was a bit of a prodigy, picking things up faster than average. Hereis what Wikipedia says regarding the yellow, orange, and green belts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bjj#Graduation

Some schools use slightly different belt systems, such as having more colored belts before blue belt, but the above are the only widely accepted ranks as they are the standards for tournaments. There are minimum age requirements for belt promotions. Blue belts are never awarded to anyone under the age of 16. For promotion to black belt the minimum age is 19 years old according to the main regulating body of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, the International Federation of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

That's way faster then our gym gives out blue belts. It's a solid year and a half or 2 and half years for most people.

unquiet
11-11-2007, 04:21 AM
I don't think 8 years to get a black belt is considered a prodigy; maybe very hard working and skilled. For example, Saulo Ribeiro got his black belt in 3 or 4 years. That's crazy fast.

ScottS
11-13-2007, 08:29 AM

You seem pretty opinionated for someone who gets their information from word of mouth instead of experience.
Most people get blue around a year or so at my school. Some longer and quite a few are less. I don't question the promotions since we do well in tournaments.

I'll answer the question about my own belt level sometime after Dec. 1 :)

DirtyDirtBiker
11-14-2007, 08:38 PM
I actually started bjj and thai boxing in 2001. Though I never really keep up with it in the summer because of motocross racing/riding, so its hard to keep your skills up. I actually started doing gi a few weeks ago and its so different. But my goal was to get a blue belt in 3 months, I hope it works out. I noticed a lot of these videos help out and doing extra training outside of the gym helps (I actually train gi/no-gi every day in my basement with a bunch of training partners)

DirtyDirtBiker
11-14-2007, 08:38 PM
I actually started bjj and thai boxing in 2001. Though I never really keep up with it in the summer because of motocross racing/riding, so its hard to keep your skills up. I actually started doing gi a few weeks ago and its so different. But my goal was to get a blue belt in 3 months, I hope it works out. I noticed a lot of these videos help out and doing extra training outside of the gym helps (I actually train gi/no-gi every day in my basement with a bunch of training partners)

Kimuras"R"Us
11-16-2007, 12:44 AM
That's way faster then our gym gives out blue belts. It's a solid year and a half or 2 and half years for most people.

My school is the same way Palma.

willieshatner
11-16-2007, 04:37 PM
also we do 'stripes' as mini promotions within a belt which is also a standard practice i think (same as 'dans' in judo).

Actually in judo as well as other japanese arts a 'dan' is a black belt.

When you hear someone referred to as 3rd dan (sandan) or a 2nd dan (nidan) or whatever, these are degrees they have earned after black belt.

just fyi

Palma
11-17-2007, 01:07 AM
My school is the same way Palma.

I personally would rather advance later rather then sooner. Lol, otherwise it's going to be shitty competing at tournies with everyone who is so much more advanced then I would be.

I think people who have issues with being white belts have ego problems and can't stand being at the lowest level. I could really give a shit what color belt I have around my waist compared to actually being skilled and experienced.

Noob
11-17-2007, 01:23 AM
I think people who have issues with being white belts have ego problems and can't stand being at the lowest level. I could really give a shit what color belt I have around my waist compared to actually being skilled and experienced.

A big :werd: to that.

Palma
11-17-2007, 01:36 AM
A big :werd: to that.

Lol, why is that weird? Or is that "word"? WTF is werd?

Noob
11-17-2007, 01:47 AM
Lol, why is that weird? Or is that "word"? WTF is werd?

Lol, it's 'word,' but spelled the ways it's pronounced. So word, as in 'I agree,' or 'I concur sir Palma.'

ScottS
11-18-2007, 06:56 PM
I personally would rather advance later rather then sooner. Lol, otherwise it's going to be shitty competing at tournies with everyone who is so much more advanced then I would be.

Why not just get good sooner so when you compete you aren't outclassed?

Noob
11-18-2007, 10:01 PM

Why not just become a black belt overnight and win the Mundials in 6 months?

Because if it were that simple, every fool on the planet would do it.

Palma
11-18-2007, 11:22 PM

It's not a matter of getting good sooner, it's a matter of getting experienced and learning muscle memory. You can't speed that up and if it were as simple as that then your competition would be doing the same thing and you would still be in the same situation.

Unless you are just that natrually gifted and excel that quickly then I don't see what the rush is. There is lots to learn, and if someone can't stand fighting at white belt then maybe they should take a long look in the mirror and figure out exactly why they even want to compete to begin with. If advancing belts is your only goal then why do BJJ? You should do TKD where you can be a black belt in just a few years.

Otherwise you are going to be a black belt who gets their ass kicked by really good Blue belts... I've see people who got ranked too fast because they were good at on paticular facet of the game only to lose due to some basic fundemental flaw they never bothered to master.

NixHex
11-19-2007, 04:35 AM
There's a plan.