PDA

View Full Version : Sharing your pain

ufobydeath
11-12-2007, 10:09 PM
This might sound like a weird idea, but stick with me!

Today was an awesome training day; I came in injured (my right arm's messed up badly from a concert last friday) and with a lot of bad personal issues but really learned a lot anyways and really got the most of the work-out.

It would've been a perfect day if not for...

(pause for dramatic effect)

The SPAZ KID!

Everyone knows them and everyone's rolled with them. Anyway, long story short, he ended up throwing a front kick, heel first, right into my mouth while going for an "armbar" which fucked up my teeth (will probably have to go to the dentist to fix at least one of them).

Now this might sound like any normal rant but here's where the fun part comes in: I could've prevented all of this by wearing a mouthguard while rolling (something I've never done before).

So here's the deal. We've all made rookie/retard mistakes that could potentially harm us/our partner or lead to an embarassing situation. My mistake today was not wearing a mouthguard which might have saved me from a dentist appointment and saved me the money it will cost.
I know I'm not the only guy who rolls without a mouthpiece ("What could possibly happen?!") so take it from me guys: I'm NEVER rolling without it again!

So, what lessons have you learned the hard way that you'd like to share?

BJJ Boy
11-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Not one. I never get hurt! Lucky me, some times i get a cut on my face but never anything hard, once my toe was like broken or something but it went away fast.

I dont know, maybe im just lucky?

ufobydeath
11-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Not one. I never get hurt!

Teach me teh secret move! :numchucks:

Noob
11-12-2007, 10:30 PM
I've done a lot of martial arts through my life, and a lot of the little things I picked up a long time ago. Like always wearing a cup, and always wearing a mouthguard. And getting a custom mouthpiece from your dentist, as opposed to that cheap shit you get at Walmart.

Even little things that don't seem so serious. Like I always wear a rash guard under my gi, and always wear compression shorts. Keep tape and band-aids in my gym bag, ibuprofen for really sore or injured days.

Stuff like that. Over the years you will find small things that make a big difference. Lol, though it's always nicer to learn those lessons without having to lose teeth in the process.

ufobydeath
11-12-2007, 10:32 PM
I've done a lot of martial arts through my life, and a lot of the little things I picked up a long time ago. Like always wearing a cup, and always wearing a mouthguard. And getting a custom mouthpiece from your dentist, as opposed to that cheap shit you get at Walmart.

Even little things that don't seem so serious. Like I always wear a rash guard under my gi, and always wear compression shorts. Keep tape and band-aids in my gym bag, ibuprofen for really sore or injured days.

Stuff like that. Over the years you will find small things that make a big difference. Lol, though it's always nicer to learn those lessons without having to lose teeth in the process.

Hence why I started this thread ;) This way we can warn each other

ozzy2525
11-12-2007, 10:39 PM
I stranied some ligaments in my knee like 2 or 3 months ago (Hurts like a bitch)
The only place that I know sells mouth guards around here is models lol I guess that I need to buy one of those.
Also am I the only one that gets home and sees that Ive got fucking scratches on the back of my neck that look like I just finished fighting with a cat?

Noob
11-12-2007, 11:12 PM
Hence why I started this thread ;) This way we can warn each other

Lol, fair enough.

My recommendtions;

-
Long-sleeved rash guards. Staph is scary and you don't want it.
Rash guard under the gi. Prevents friction burns and scratches from gi chokes. Open skin leads to infections. See above note.-

Motherfucking ibuprofen. Sore? Tired? Hurt? Hangnail? It's better than Robitussin. And it's cheap and comes in small bottles that fit in a gym bag. I buy the huge bottles and keep a smaller one filled for my gym bag. It really does work wonders for small-to-moderate pain and inflammation.
Band-aids and tape. If you have open skin, put a band-aid on it, then cover it with tape. Band-aids will come off in practice, tape helps it stay on.-

Disinfectant spray, from Walgreens or something similar. The stuff football players use for large area field burns. Mat burn is very similar, and it's hard to clean large-area burns. Very easy for shit to get in there, and it's not fun. I keep this at home.
Mouth guard and cup. If you need this explained, you should not be playing contact sports.
-

Go to your doctor or dentist, and get a real mouthpiece. Not the boil-and-bite stuff. It's expensive, I know. But even one trip to the dentist for mouth-related injury will be more expensive than a mouthguard. And possible way more expensive.
I recommend a steel cup. I know guys that don't like it, but I have been to enough tournaments (for Taekwondo) and seen guy's cups shatter when kicked. The idea of shrapnel in my testicles is all the motivation I need to deal with the slight discomfort of wearing a steel cup. And they last forever.

Noob
11-12-2007, 11:31 PM
Good Info Noob.

Where did you get your cup?

I got mine from walmart an it's plastic with a rubber coating, supposed to be shatter proof.

I got mine from Fairtex.

http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=25506

I have a coupon for that site. Works until the 14th or 15th. BudoUnderground. Worth 15% off.

They are more expensive than normal cups, but I have had mine for going on 6 years now, and I have never had a single problem with it. I played Lacrosse for a year, and found out that it's not great to run in, but I don't think that will be much of an issue.

I've been kicked in the nuts, kneed in the nuts, had people fall on my nuts, even taken Lacrosse sticks to the nuts. You name it. Don't even so much as flinch. The worst thing I've had happen is some bruising along the thighs from hard impacts, but even that was mild. And obviously preferable to broken balls.

http://www.budovideos.com/images/covers/30887.jpg

Brandon
11-13-2007, 05:00 AM
So far I haven't brought my mouthpiece to bjj. But after reading this I'm definately bringing my mouthpiece from mma to bjj. Thanks UFO!

I used to mess up my toes a lot at mma. Both of my pinky toes have been broken numerous times. Then I buddy of mine gave me his old pair of wrestling shoes and they have been a godsend for my feet. So if you do mma and don't have a pait or wrestling shoes, I highly reconmend it.

kaiz77
11-13-2007, 06:53 AM
I tape my small toe to the next over on both feet before every roll!!..

I completely dislocated mine a couple of months ago...(it was hanging there at the joint held by skin)....it was sick...hoping on one foot to the car it was dangling up and down...lol

Just got it caught in a wrestling mat....and twisted the right way I guess....

And I ALWAYS wear my mouth guard...but not just because it protects my teeth!!!......It restricts your breathing and the amount of oxygen you take in when you train........less oxygen means better conditioning/quicker conditioning in time..... I run with it in, bike, lift, you name it...if I'm exercising its in......

You will feel like a God training without it after you do it for a while...

another thing is..if your wrists are sore...even if just rolling..wrap em to give the extra time needed to heal...itll be worth it in the long run..

compression shorts are a MUST....never will train without em..

Frasedog
11-13-2007, 10:55 PM
Lol, fair enough.

My recommendtions;

-
Long-sleeved rash guards. Staph is scary and you don't want it.
Rash guard under the gi. Prevents friction burns and scratches from gi chokes. Open skin leads to infections. See above note.-

Motherfucking ibuprofen. Sore? Tired? Hurt? Hangnail? It's better than Robitussin. And it's cheap and comes in small bottles that fit in a gym bag. I buy the huge bottles and keep a smaller one filled for my gym bag. It really does work wonders for small-to-moderate pain and inflammation.
Band-aids and tape. If you have open skin, put a band-aid on it, then cover it with tape. Band-aids will come off in practice, tape helps it stay on.-

Disinfectant spray, from Walgreens or something similar. The stuff football players use for large area field burns. Mat burn is very similar, and it's hard to clean large-area burns. Very easy for shit to get in there, and it's not fun. I keep this at home.
Mouth guard and cup. If you need this explained, you should not be playing contact sports.
-

Go to your doctor or dentist, and get a real mouthpiece. Not the boil-and-bite stuff. It's expensive, I know. But even one trip to the dentist for mouth-related injury will be more expensive than a mouthguard. And possible way more expensive.
I recommend a steel cup. I know guys that don't like it, but I have been to enough tournaments (for Taekwondo) and seen guy's cups shatter when kicked. The idea of shrapnel in my testicles is all the motivation I need to deal with the slight discomfort of wearing a steel cup. And they last forever.
I just had a bout with staph. A pretty tame type I guess. It's called Impetigo. Took antibiotic pills an a topical gel. Gone in a week. But, you bring up some good points. I never wear a rashguard under my gi. I get mat burn on my elbows all the time. Bandaids always coming off. In light of my first staph infection I need to start wearing a rashguard again and invest in some of that skin protectant spray, and spray bactine all over my scrapes etc. Any other recommendations? Hammer the vitamin C maybe, to keep the immune system strong?

Noob
11-13-2007, 11:17 PM
I just had a bout with staph. A pretty tame type I guess. It's called Impetigo. Took antibiotic pills an a topical gel. Gone in a week. But, you bring up some good points. I never wear a rashguard under my gi. I get mat burn on my elbows all the time. Bandaids always coming off. In light of my first staph infection I need to start wearing a rashguard again and invest in some of that skin protectant spray, and spray bactine all over my scrapes etc. Any other recommendations? Hammer the vitamin C maybe, to keep the immune system strong?

You're lucky you had a minor version. The one I had wasn't so minor, and it sucked.

Band-aids with athletic tape help. Band-aids come off really easily, and taping them will help keep them on during practice. Rash guards under your gi are also a good idea.

Even mat burns and scratches can be bad. Any open skin just increases your chances of getting something. No matter how small.

A general multivitamin is a good idea, can't hurt. Also, antibacterial soap immediately after your workout is the best thing you can do. Hand sanitizers and other antibacterial stuff is okay, but it can also make your situation a lost worse.

I really don't recommend using a lot of antibacterial stuff. Like anything else, some bacteria will develop resistance and this is exactly what you want to avoid. If you have resistant strains of bacteria on your skin and they develop staph, it will be much much worse. That is exactly how people get the scarier forms of staph infection.

Stuff you pick up in the hospitals tends to be much worse. Specifically because it has survived all cleaning measures that a hospital would normally use.

-

Don't use a bunch of antibacterial stuff. Wipes, hand sanitizer, etc. It's all right on occassion, but overdoing it hurts your chances in the long run.
Shower with hot water and soap as soon as you get home. I know this sounds stupid, but it is by far the best method. There is no bacterial resistance to soap and water. Never has been, never will be.
Keep any open skin covered. Cuts, scrapes, mat burns, etc. Anything.-

That's about it. There realy isn't any magic solution, sadly. Just common sense stuff, and be strict about it. I wish there was more to it, but that's about all I can think of.

There are some surgical soaps you can use if you're really paranoid. I keep some around for particularly bad or dirty cuts. It's more or less the same stuff surgeons use when they scrub in before doing surgery. It's pretty tough stuff. Same conditions exist with this, in that bacteria can develop resistance.

unquiet
11-14-2007, 12:50 AM
Suprised nobody put kneepads. I guess I have weak knees.

I was always rolling injury free until my last tournament. I guess the training was hard and the event itself took a huge toll on my knees. When I came back to practice the next day, I couldn't sit in someone's guard because of the pressure on my knees placed on the mat. It hurt too much to kneel. Now I wear some good knee pads with the bubble over the knee cap and I can roll fine. I have to adjust it occasionally, but at least my knees don't hurt.

Take care of your knees! Now just my right knee hurts to put on the ground. It's ok for about 15 seconds before the pain begins.

Although I used to run a lot just around a year ago, it might have been from that.

ufobydeath
11-14-2007, 01:05 AM
Suprised nobody put kneepads. I guess I have weak knees.

I was always rolling injury free until my last tournament. I guess the training was hard and the event itself took a huge toll on my knees. When I came back to practice the next day, I couldn't sit in someone's guard because of the pressure on my knees placed on the mat. It hurt too much to kneel. Now I wear some good knee pads with the bubble over the knee cap and I can roll fine. I have to adjust it occasionally, but at least my knees don't hurt.

Take care of your knees! Now just my right knee hurts to put on the ground. It's ok for about 15 seconds before the pain begins.

Although I used to run a lot just around a year ago, it might have been from that.

Kneepads are something I've been meaning to get for a while... I used to have weak knees but I've started stretching them more so now there's little to no pain when I roll/run. Still, it'd be good to have em. I'll consider it a mid-priority purchase right now ;)

kaiz77
11-14-2007, 01:56 AM
Noob Im interested about all that staph talk going around lately....kind of worries me with my NAGA tourny comin up.....and thats the last thing I want to be thinking about..

What where your signs of infection?...treatments?.....

Noob
11-14-2007, 02:10 AM
Noob Im interested about all that staph talk going around lately....kind of worries me with my NAGA tourny comin up.....and thats the last thing I want to be thinking about..

What where your signs of infection?...treatments?.....

Signs of infection:

Raised or painful areas of swelling.
Painful or hypersensitive areas of your skin, usually accompanied by swelling that will increase over the course of days.
Can be very, very painful.
Very sensitive or irritated areas surround a cut, scrape, pimple, or other broken skin.
All of these symptoms persist over the course of days. Swelling (if you have it) will get worse each day. The surrounding areas will be painful to touch.
Once it's advanced, you will have a discharge from the wounds. It's fucking disgusting, and it needs to be drained. I had to drain mine by myself a few times, and it was not fun.-

Not everyone will have visible swelling. It depends on where the infection is. I had mine on my hand and cheek, so the swelling was very obvious. You can just as easily have it on the back of your thigh, or the side of your rib cage. Places where swelling will be less noticeable.

Treatments:

-

Go to the doctor.-

That's really it. Once you get it, there are no home remedy treatments. You have to go to a doctor. At that point, they have one of two options:

Give you a general antibiotic and hope that it works (usually for less severe strains).

Take a sample of one of your infected locations and run tests on it to identify the infection. This will determine exactly what you've got, and will determine which medications you will need to take.

If you've got this, I recommend going to the doctor as soon as you can get in. You probably don't need to go to the emergency room, but I wouldn't waste days on end before you make an appointment.

If you get a bad strain of it, you will have to take some serious antibiotics, probably pain medication, and you will have to have the areas drained of the pus. Depending on where the infection is, this can be simple, or difficult. It can also be really fucking painful. Having my infected areas drained was one of the more painful moments in my life.

Also, you can have the bacteria and not be 'infected.' When staph is present in your body, you are either 'infected' or 'colonized.' You can be colonized for years, maybe even decades, and never have a clue.

Once you are infected though, it basically guarantees that you are also colonized. The spores of the bacteria live in your nasal cavity. So once you are done with all your antibiotics, pain meds, etc, your doctor will give you some ointment to put inside your nose before you go to sleep. You have to do that for about a week.

Hopefully that clears it up, but there are no guarantees. That's why if you've ever had it, you need to be extra careful about things since it is conceivably easier for you to get it again.

On the plus side though, it's not usually as serious as what you hear about. People dying from it are incredibly rare. As a general rule:

Staph you get from the hospital = Bad.

Staph you get from the gym = Not as bad.

Either strain can do bad things, but as a general rule the stuff you get in the hospital is scarier. If you get yours from a gym, you will be okay. The horror stories you hear are usually from people who are infected in the hospital, or are just stupid and don't go to the doctor when they know there is a problem.

If you go to the doctor at a reasonable time, you will be okay.

kaiz77
11-14-2007, 02:13 AM
I see....sounds nasty as I expected....thanks for the info..

Noob
11-14-2007, 02:15 AM

Yeah, it's no picnic. It's not life-and-death either, but I would definitely recommend you not get it.

If someone offers you cake or staph, you choose cake.

Noob
11-14-2007, 02:48 AM
Luke Cummo says if you drink Pee, you will be immune to Staph.

Miss Cleo says she can tell you all your secrets. For $4.99 a minute.

unquiet
11-14-2007, 03:50 AM
Kneepads are something I've been meaning to get for a while... I used to have weak knees but I've started stretching them more so now there's little to no pain when I roll/run. Still, it'd be good to have em. I'll consider it a mid-priority purchase right now ;)

Any special stretches or just your basic P.E. hamstring and quad stretches? Yoga, perhaps?

Noob
11-14-2007, 03:56 AM
Any special stretches or just your basic P.E. hamstring and quad stretches? Yoga, perhaps?

I had some knee problems for a while, and wore knee pads for a long time. I started doing some stretching, and it improved how my knees feel quite a bit.

Eddie Bravo's book has some good stretches in them. I more or less stole them, and put them to use for a few months. It helped me quite a bit.

NixHex
11-14-2007, 03:57 AM
I've been doing basic Yoga stretches for about 6 months and my flexibility is 10x what it used to be. It's helped my BJJ game tremendously.

Frasedog
11-14-2007, 03:53 PM
I had mine for about a week and a half before I went to the doctor. Not good. I didn't realize what it was because the type I had were sores with a crusty scab, that at first looks like any other scab. Combined with the fact that I had mat burn on my elbow made me not question it. I thought it was your typical scab that keeps getting rubbed off. Then after a week of not healing, and new sores popping up, I got worried. Moral is, if you see anything abnormal at all, get it checked right away!! I was lucky, I saw some pictures of the type I had getting out of control and it is gross. I had about 5 spots total, on my arm, hand and arm pit.

Noob
11-14-2007, 04:05 PM
I had mine for about a week and a half before I went to the doctor. Not good. I didn't realize what it was because the type I had were sores with a crusty scab, that at first looks like any other scab. Combined with the fact that I had mat burn on my elbow made me not question it. I thought it was your typical scab that keeps getting rubbed off. Then after a week of not healing, and new sores popping up, I got worried. Moral is, if you see anything abnormal at all, get it checked right away!! I was lucky, I saw some pictures of the type I had getting out of control and it is gross. I had about 5 spots total, on my arm, hand and arm pit.

Same here. I had no idea what was going on. I just thought I had some out of control pimples. Waited more than a week to see the doctor, which was a bad idea.

It's no fun.

strife
11-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Mmmmmmm....staph

Just was your body after you get home, you should never have to worry about it.

Remember kids, don't be a Lindland and wash yourself after working out!

ufobydeath
11-14-2007, 11:09 PM

I mainly used the stretches from Mastering The Rubber Guard by Eddie Bravo (though I hadn't read the book at the time and only found out later that the exact same stretches were in the book). I do the cross leg stretch all the time at practice (and at home) and try to heel-hook myself while chilling out to stretch the knee even more. Check out the book, you'll know what I'm talking about ;)

Palma
11-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Not one. I never get hurt! Lucky me, some times i get a cut on my face but never anything hard, once my toe was like broken or something but it went away fast.

I dont know, maybe im just lucky?

Or full of shit.