PDA

View Full Version : Off to BJJ...

strife
11-13-2007, 01:03 AM
Tonight is the start of me actually seriously taking BJJ classes again since having my arm broken. Wish me luck.....I'll post how it goes when I get back.

kaiz77
11-13-2007, 01:07 AM
Good luck bro...keep us updated!

Noob
11-13-2007, 01:20 AM
Good luck buddy. Keep us posted on everything.

Lol, we're like a support group. In a good way.

Wish you the best.

NixHex
11-13-2007, 02:05 AM
Good training man, it's gonna hurt sooooooo good.

strife
11-13-2007, 04:11 AM
Just got back, me and my good friend (name's Israel, he's the Thai instructor at the gym and a blue belt in BJJ) rolled til it was lights out. I got my ASS WHOOPED, lolllll. I had a few good sweeps and had him mounted once. Other than that it was me too tired to do anything and letting him mount and tool with me from there, hahaha. Before rolling with him I rolled with the guy I practiced with during class, goes to the same college as me and for the most part I had him under control. However, he kept trying Gi chokes on me...which are annoying as hell to defend. Was also cross facing me the entire time....how did I respond you ask? I arm barred him a good time afterwards and asked him to stop crossfacing, it's just friendly rolling between peers after all...it isn't a tournament. He actually bothered to say when I let him have my back to test my back defense.."if this were a street fight I would torque my arm across your face"...gee THANKS ROGER FOR BEING SO CONSIDERATE. I had a great time, my knees and feet have mat burn all over them and I'm sore as fuck...but in a good way. Waking up for class tomorrow is going to be rough....also lifted earlier today as well....body is gonna be soooo sore.

EDIT: Arm/shoulder didn't bother me at all, so I think I'm good to go :)

strife
11-13-2007, 04:42 AM
Good for you....we are proud of you Strife.

Awwww..../hug

kaiz77
11-13-2007, 05:56 AM
nice work man.....keep us updated....

bobbysmith
11-13-2007, 07:25 AM
nice bro...me i'm working nights now and can only roll once a week now...sucks

strife
11-13-2007, 08:58 AM
nice bro...me i'm working nights now and can only roll once a week now...sucks

Better than nothing, I would have given anything to be able to train once a week at least when I was in a cast for 5 months.

ufobydeath
11-13-2007, 12:40 PM
Great to hear you going at it again Strife! :dancingsmile:

Noob
11-13-2007, 02:33 PM
Very cool. I'm glad to hear it went well. Hope you're not too sore tomorrow, lol.

That's awesome that you're making another effort. Best of luck with everything, and keep us posted.

NixHex
11-13-2007, 03:43 PM
That's a boy strife, we can't be losing BJJ guys off this forum.

strife
11-13-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm sore a hell....but I can't help but feel some of it is from lifting yesterday before I went to BJJ. I'm bruised and mat burned everywhere on my body, as well as Gi burned all over my chest, face, and wrists. I love it. :grinsmile1:

I'll be going back on Wednsday. Gonna try starting out taking it nice and slow, warming up to the beginner's class and then start going to the advanced classes a few weeks from now.

ufobydeath
11-13-2007, 08:45 PM
I'm sore a hell....but I can't help but feel some of it is from lifting yesterday before I went to BJJ. I'm bruised and mat burned everywhere on my body, as well as Gi burned all over my chest, face, and wrists. I love it. :grinsmile1:

I'll be going back on Wednsday. Gonna try starting out taking it nice and slow, warming up to the beginner's class and then start going to the advanced classes a few weeks from now.

Sounds like a plan; you don't want to overtrain after a long layoff

Noob
11-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Sounds like a plan; you don't want to overtrain after a long layoff

Agreed.

Ramma
12-02-2007, 10:29 PM
bump,

Hey Strife, I just wanted an update....

I was really hoping you would get back into the swing of things and I can see you are already on the way :thumbsup:

strife
05-29-2008, 07:28 AM
Sorry for the long delay, I forgot all about this thread. Figured it was time for an update.

I go about 4 times a week now and the progression I've made is amazing, moves just flow like butter. I keep rolling with this wrestling teacher that is a state champion and who almost won the purple belt no-gi division as a white belt at Naga. The funny thing about it is that I take him down at will. I mean I wrestled all throughout middle school and was undefeated (doesn't mean too much, it's middleschool) but even I surprise myself by this. I guess I underrate myself. This guy is around 190 and I'm 165-170 depending on water weight. He is a strong motherfucker too, so sometimes I get lost because of this, giving up into bad positions. I need to learn more sweeps :(

All in all, everything is going great and I should have my blue belt fairly soon (was scheduled to get it after the tournament I had my arm broken in).

Palma
05-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Are you going to fight in the Mundials next week? Today is the last day to sign up.

strife
05-29-2008, 11:04 PM
Are you going to fight in the Mundials next week? Today is the last day to sign up.

Lol, not a chance. I'm not going to compete until the fall probably.

erection
05-29-2008, 11:59 PM
have fun man, make sure you wear a cup I trained against this girl once and she grabbed my dick. OUCH dude.

strife
06-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Bumping because the last post in this thread was from a guy named erection.

The guy I regularly roll with is competing in a tournament near here called Mission Submission, he'll be in the advanced no-gi and white belt Gi I believe. Should be a fun time.

strife
07-29-2008, 06:19 AM
I roll at least 4 times a week now and have noticed a gaping flaw in my top game, particularly while in half guard. Good people, blue belts+ and some high level white belts sneak in their knee on me really quick and I can't seem to keep weight on them even when they don't have that knee blocking the pass. My top game all around seems to be pretty weak, people re-gain position on me a lot. Anyone have any tips? I often feel lost when looking for grips while in half guard, where do you guys normally grip?

Palma
07-29-2008, 08:23 AM
I roll at least 4 times a week now and have noticed a gaping flaw in my top game, particularly while in half guard. Good people, blue belts+ and some high level white belts sneak in their knee on me really quick and I can't seem to keep weight on them even when they don't have that knee blocking the pass. My top game all around seems to be pretty weak, people re-gain position on me a lot. Anyone have any tips? I often feel lost when looking for grips while in half guard, where do you guys normally grip?

I like throwing my leading arm (let's say they have my right leg in their giard then I am using my left arm) over their rib cage and planting the leg they have trapped and then using both arms to push off their gaurd into side control... but, I would just stick with the basics and keep an overhook on their week side and an under hook on their strong side and flatten them out. You are in a position of control... make them fight for that under hook and then take their arm for a kimura or an Americana...

strife
07-29-2008, 07:56 PM
I do make them fight for an underhook, just the more advanced students are good with their hips and shrimp really hard creating a lot of space. I do the same things as them but I seem to always be rolling with guys a lot bigger than me so I'm always at a huge disadvantage from the bottom.

My grips are usually one on the knee of their gi pants pressing down on the half guard to create room and the other arm around their head grabbing the back of their gi. I know I don't use these grips 100% of the time but is there something wrong here?

Palma
07-30-2008, 12:06 AM
I do make them fight for an underhook, just the more advanced students are good with their hips and shrimp really hard creating a lot of space. I do the same things as them but I seem to always be rolling with guys a lot bigger than me so I'm always at a huge disadvantage from the bottom.

My grips are usually one on the knee of their gi pants pressing down on the half guard to create room and the other arm around their head grabbing the back of their gi. I know I don't use these grips 100% of the time but is there something wrong here?

Try dropping your upper body below their waist and then get a grip around where their legs meet their ass and then straighten your leg backwards to break open their half guard. The only thing with this pass is that you have to be fast to scamble to side control or they can just throw in another half gaurd if you don't move fast enough.