PDA

View Full Version : Big Wrestlers

NixHex
11-14-2007, 03:47 AM
Anybody train with big, strong wrestlers? I just got back from a one-on-one training session with a buddy of mine. He said he weighs 270 and he's only about 5'11 but not soft, i'm only 155 soaking wet and 5'8 so it was a chore. But he had no prior BJJ experience so I figured i'd be able to catch him with plenty of submissions.

I couldn't break his posture down enough to get high quality sub attempts. I had him in 2 armbars he powered out of, a triangle he powered out of, and countless americanas & kimuras he powered out of, and even a gogoplata attempt I came amazingly close to pulling off but he powered out. I tried the Marcelo pass over and over again, but I couldn't get my head underneath his arm to swing around to the back.

We rolled for 10 minutes, and took a 2 minute break then rolled for 10 more minutes and the only sub I got was an armbar that I had to work like hell for. He had me in side control and I couldn't relax, I wound up getting my guard back after he tried countless straight arm bars that I was able to break by using my foot to break his figure-4 (not sure if this was proper technique but it worked great for me).

After I rolled my head was pounding and my arms felt like noodles, and I needed a cold shower asap... I was pretty discouraged actually. It was a rude awakening though that's for sure, I never got sub'd and if we were keeping points i'd have won, but i'd have liked to been more successful.

My vents over lol

Noob
11-14-2007, 03:57 AM
Lol. He outweighs you by 120 pounds, isn't a complete retard, and has prior grappling experience. That's a damned tough matchup for anyone unless you are much more skilled than he.

NixHex
11-14-2007, 03:58 AM
Lol. He outweighs you by 120 pounds, isn't a complete retard, and has prior grappling experience. That's a damned tough matchup for anyone unless you are much more skilled than he.
True, lol I guess i'm being a little hard on myself. I just thought i'd be able to break him down better, and isolate better... but he was a fucking brute.

Noob
11-14-2007, 04:02 AM
True, lol I guess i'm being a little hard on myself. I just thought i'd be able to break him down better, and isolate better... but he was a fucking brute.

Yeah. I would say you're fine, no need to get down on yourself. That much of a size difference is really hard to deal with. Even more so if the other guy has some experience.

NixHex
11-14-2007, 04:21 AM
Yeah. I would say you're fine, no need to get down on yourself. That much of a size difference is really hard to deal with. Even more so if the other guy has some experience.
Yeah, and the setup kinda played in his favor... we were starting on the ground so my one advantage (speed) was moot. We're rolling again Thursday, i'll set up the camera so I can get some advice.

kaiz77
11-14-2007, 04:32 AM
Yeah set up a cam bro....sounds like its just a matter of sheer size.....but your doing well.....

I love rolling with people much bigger than me....It will make you a lot better in the long run so keep it up...work a lot on off-balancing him for sweeps (I understand, way easier said then done).....but when you grapple people your size after...you will be amazed at how much easier things seem to flow....

Keep it up man...:grinsmile1:

Brandon
11-14-2007, 05:18 AM
We rolled for 10 minutes, and took a 2 minute break then rolled for 10 more minutes and the only sub I got was an armbar that I had to work like hell for.

Aren't those the best though?

Keep your head up man, you did good. Wrestlers are tough, there able to explosively power out of most everything you throw at'em. But on the good side, he'll help you out a lot with your take downs and take down defense.

NixHex
11-14-2007, 05:33 AM
Aren't those the best though?

Keep your head up man, you did good. Wrestlers are tough, there able to explosively power out of most everything you throw at'em. But on the good side, he'll help you out a lot with your take downs and take down defense.
Actually it was very fullfilling (aside from the fact he put some solid pressure on my balls trying to power out), but when I was working the Gogo and he yanked out after a few seconds I started laughing in the middle of the role. The look on his face when I started choking him over my shin was priceless. I'm looking forward to Thursday.

NixHex
11-14-2007, 05:36 AM
I have a guy at our gym that is 320 and about 6 foot tall. He doesn't have a great deal of technique but has some. That is the type of person that you don't want on top of you.

We had a new guy the other day that rolled with him and the guy was about 200lbs. the new guy pulled guard and then tapped out in about 15 secs. becasue he couldn't breath.lol
That's how this guy is lol, a fucking tree trunk. He had me in side control and I couldn't breathe with all his weight pressing right on my gut. I wound up working back in guard after breaking a few of his armlock attempts, and I was about done. I had to regroup for a good minute or so. Another thing I didn't think about before hand was the strain it would put on my legs from holding guard on such a big, strong guy.

NixHex
11-14-2007, 05:58 AM
Thing it though.

It most definatly sucks while your rolling with someone that outweighs you by alot or hell for that matter that out skills you by alot. But the good thing is that this is when you are learning the most in most cases.
Absolutely... I gotta do a better job of relaxing and concentrating on technique. I wasn't used to having someone so strong on me. It'll be cake rolling with strong guys my size after I roll with his huge ass.

strife
11-14-2007, 06:36 AM
That, my friend is why there are weight classes. Overall it's somewhat good to roll with him because it could potentially simulate a real-life encounter where someone might be much bigger than you. It's never a bad thing learning how to roll with everyone and their different shapes and sizes. Last huge wrestler I rolled with we started from standing, I took him down and ended up hurting his knee somehow. If you put them on their back and make them panic and use strictly strength and no technique, you will wear them down and get them in bad spots. My gym has tons of big guys, all of varying size....I usually stray away but occassionally I'll roll with one just so I get a feel for their tremedous size/weight advantage.

NixHex
11-16-2007, 03:29 AM
I guess I worked the big fella more than I thought. We were supposed to roll tonight, but he's not answering or returning my calls lol.

NixHex
11-16-2007, 07:57 PM
Hey if you are from Cincy and ever want to roll with some real good wrestlers @ Ohio State let me know
Definitely, thanks for the invite. Is that you in your av? I've only been training BJJ a few months, but i'd love to roll with D1 Wrestlers.

On a side note,
Hail to the victors valiant
Hail to the conquering heroes
Hail, Hail to Michigan
The Champions of the west.

You don't take the invite back do ya? lol. I've got all sorts of OSU buddies, so we have a good time giving each other shit. I've been gettin a lot more shit these last few years than i'm used to, but hopefully that all changes tomorrow.

NixHex
11-16-2007, 08:16 PM
Yeah, its me in the av. Im probally a bit to big for ya but there are pleanty of guys your size up here. Keep the Michigan stuff to yourself when you come up here, espically if Michigan some how pulls off a miracle tomorrow (we both know that wont happen).
Yeah, you look like a big fucker. I don't mind rolling with bigger guys (the wrestler I was rolling w/ was 270 but not near as skilled as you guys), but when they have more experience on me that makes it shitty lol. I'm likin my boys' chances tomorrow, but i'm definitely not going to go up to OSU's wrestling team and start talking shit lol. I'm actually going to open up my own gym down here by Cincinnati within the next year and a half, and somebody with as much wrestling experience as you would be a great addition.

NixHex
11-16-2007, 08:32 PM
I actually graduated a few years ago, Im just a assistant coach here. Im 6'3 and about 250 so I got about 90-100 lbs on ya, but there are lots of smaller guys here with BJJ experience. I dont really plan on taking any BJJ until after the '08 Olympics, but let me know when you open your gym up, Im in Cincy every few months so I will come check it out.
Are you trying out for the Olympics? I'll definitely let you know when I open up.

NixHex
11-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Yeah I have been doing a lot of international travel recently training for 08. After 08 though all options are open
Hell yeah, let us know how it goes. What's the date for tryouts?

Palma
11-17-2007, 01:01 AM
Tommy Rowlands

Holy shit, I know of you. 2X NCAA national Champ.

Are you going to compete at HW or 211s?

I know saying it and pulling it off are two different things, but when I roll with wrestlers who have a signifigant size advantage I use Rubber Guard religiously and then I work from there. It's the only way I can controll them when I'm rolling nogi.

Palma
11-17-2007, 10:58 AM
211 right now

I know you have always done better at HW's but I'm sure you can make it at 211...

War Rawlands!

Seriously, I am a fan and I'm stoked you are posting here. This is the best MMA site around, as far as quality posters and content.