PDA

View Full Version : Mike and Mike... and steroids.

eazye76
11-14-2007, 05:19 PM
This news is about a week old, but it's kind of interesting. Mike Golic from ESPN's "Mike and Mike in the morning" said he used steroids. That's not a huge suprise, but check out how his co-host and alleged reporter Mike Greenberg handles the situation.

Credit - AwfulAnnouncing.com
http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2007/11/mike-golic-really-admits-to-using.html

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/eazye_76/mike-and-mike.jpg
Mike Golic Really Admits To Using Steroids, But Again Greenberg Changes The Topic
Friday, November 09, 2007

This "Golic Steroids" issue is getting even weirder now. Yesterday, I passed along a quote from Mike and Mike in which Golic nonchalantly admitted to using steroids in his career (thanks to DL). Well today the issue was broached again, and brushed aside again.

Via ProFootballTalk comes the following from this morning's show.....

Golic and Greenberg hardly ever take callers, and it will probably be a long time before they do it again, given that the first caller initially talked about Williamson but then switched topics and asked Golic, point blank, if he used steroids.

Today Golic left no doubt, calmly and clearly acknowledging that he used steroids briefly during his playing career in an attempt to recuperate from an injury. Greenberg wanted nothing to do with the subject and quickly cut the caller off to turn back to the Williamson story.
I'm almost enraged that Greenberg doesn't even flinch when this is said. This is sports reporting at its worst. Your longtime partner is admitting to using steroids on National airwaves, and the topic is completely glossed over. How does this happen?

For as much time and effort that ESPN puts into reporting on Steroids how would they not tap into a resource that's admitting on-air that he did them.....WHILE STILL PLAYING!!! ESPN has had stories on the issue from acquiring performance enhancing drugs all the way to how they react with your body (and everything in between). I'll try to get the audio up later today, but am I that off-base on this one? Doesn't this seem the height of hypocrisy? I mean both of the Mikes completely bashed Barry Bonds for 3 months straight, but this isn't even talked about?!?!? Ridiculous.

Noise Chopped
11-16-2007, 10:01 AM
Hahah, I listen to these guys/watch almost every morning. This is funny though - I wonder if they'll bring it up.

eazye76
11-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Hahah, I listen to these guys/watch almost every morning. This is funny though - I wonder if they'll bring it up.
They adressed it yesterday.

Credit - ProFootballTalk.com

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm(scroll down)

POSTED 9:07 a.m. EST, November 15, 2007

GOLIC EXPLAINS HIS STEROID USE

Former NFL lineman Mike Golic has addressed in further detail on his ESPN Radio show his use of steroids in 1987.

He says that he used them for 4-6 weeks in the offseason, after shoulder surgery.

"It was wrong, it was illegal. I did it illegally. . . . I worked out in a gym and you could get them anywhere you wanted at that point. And I did. And it was certainly wrong to do. But it was a point in the NFL when they weren't testing for it, so I had no worry of being tested for the steroids."

Golic says he quit because it made him feel weird.

What made us feel weird was the limp-wristed effort by Mike Greenberg to create the appearance that this is all old news.

Said Greenberg before Golic made his statements: "This is something that you've addressed so many times on the air that maybe to us it isn't a big deal. But I guess we can't blame everyone for not having listened to every minute of our show for eight years."

Time out, guys. If this is something that Golic has said "so many times on the air" over the last eight years, why did this exchange (as transcribed by Awful Announcing) occur last week?

Greenberg: You were a player in the National Football League for nine years.

Golic: Yep.

Greenberg: And you were clean. You didn't use steroids.

Golic: No, no. I did try steroids. For about six weeks in an off-season. Yeah. When I had blown my shoulder out. I actually didn't do it for six weeks. I did it for a few weeks and stopped because it had kind of a bad effect as I was lifting.

Greenberg: Okay. Let's say for the sake of this discussion you did not.

If that's an accurate account of what happened just last week, then what in the hell was Greenberg talking about when he said that it's a known fact that Golic used steroids?

Greenberg now has zero credibility with us. (Of course, he already had zero credibility with us, but we finally have a good reason for it.)

Noise Chopped
11-17-2007, 05:40 AM
Kevin Blackistone mentioned it today on Around the Horn! Just touched on it, but still. Hahah, I don't know why I'm getting such a big kick out of this. These guys are such clowns, but I'm there watching.

I hope this blows up even further and shit.

SimpleJack
11-17-2007, 03:16 PM
Why is this a bigger deal than the whole Pittsburgh and Oakland defenses basically saying they used in the 70's-early 80's............that's right, it isn't. If anything, it made Golic's ass even hungrier than he already was.

Severn
11-17-2007, 08:07 PM
I think he talked about it again the day after you posted this (it's on ESPN 2 in the mornings) and I remember him saying that one of the reasons he stopped taking it was because of 'roid rage. Also I don't remember Golic being a witch hunter when it came to steroids. He was always innocent until proven guilty type of person, even when it came to Barry Bonds.

Greenie on the other hand was Bob Costas-like in his approach to steroids and those who used it.

Noise Chopped
11-18-2007, 01:41 AM
Yea, I think people who'd tag Golic as a witch hunter of players who allegedly used steroids are obviously unfamiliar with the show. But, I guess we now know why? Hah.

kokaine
11-18-2007, 09:04 AM
lol