PDA

View Full Version : Help with Tourny Prep...

kaiz77
11-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Well...theres only one week separating me and my first tourny comin up.....so
help me out fellas......any advice, strategies, ....whatever...

Ive been eating all clean lately...trying to stay right at 160lbs. (my weight class 150-159.9).....I plan on weighing in at 5 PM the night before the event so that gives me some time to rest up and eat well....

Any suggestions for what I should eat/drink after weigh ins....day of comp..(my division starts at 11:30...the next day)....I already bought a crap load of bananas...lol

Oh, and Ive been sipping water constantly too........but I was thinking...I hate having to go pee like every hr er so.....and I definitely dont want that the day of comp...what is the best way to stay fully hydrated and not have this side effect (or is it even possible).....

I was so nervous about being hydrated before my other 2 small, single matches....that I was drinking a lot before...having to pee like every 25 min. or so....lol....it was awful...

Thanks in advance guys!!!....Im too excited already...lol

ozzy2525
11-25-2007, 01:04 AM
Are you competing in the Advance? Get some carbs and water after weigh ins drink a lot and you will be hydrated before and wont have to drink to much before. In the morning you should get some water.
For the tornament dont go for that guard pulling shit get in there and get that takedown.

kaiz77
11-25-2007, 06:28 AM
Im at the other end of the spectrum from advanced....lol....
Thanks for your input!!

DirtyDirtBiker
11-25-2007, 10:00 PM
Just make sure you get up super early the day or two days before your tourny, that way you'll go to bed early and get plenty of sleep.

It doesn't seem that your gonna cut any weight, other then like a pound if anything, so I don't think you need to drink more then normal. Just if your still training hard, make sure you keep up that water drinking. Losing 1% of your body weight in water can mess up your thinking, reflexes, gets you more tired. So just keep hydrated :)

If your drinking a lot of water normally, I don't think you have to worry about being hydrated the day of, you already will be, I think your nerves were just getting to you and playing mind games.

I know in the motocross when racing in the extreme heat, you need a nice drink every 15 mins, I don't think you'll be needing that.

Oh and try to put some fish, veggies and plenty of fruits in your diet.

You'll be fine - just keep us posted on how you did. I'm excited about doing my first tourny. I always feel like I need to learn more, but that will never stop so I just tough it out and remember those fist chokes :)

kaiz77
11-26-2007, 01:26 AM
Thanks bro....good stuff!
I will definitely keep everyone posted!

NixHex
11-30-2007, 11:05 PM
When/where is your tourney?

I have compeated in 1000's of tourneys since I have been a kid, and my routine hasent really changed. It dosent really sound like you need to cut any weight so staying hydrated shouldent be a issue. The night before try eating good-maybe a baked haddock filet, some fruits/veggies, etc. You really dont have to overthink things, eating a slice of pizza the day before your tourney isint going to be the difference between a win or loss. Just stay confident and believe you can choke out every asshole in that gym with you. Good luck!

Confidence is the most important thing in competition. Hell, confidence is probably the most important thing in life. I could be going up against a 10 year purple belt, and i'm positive i'll be able to catch him.... I don't lol, but that doesn't stop me from thinking it the next time.

BJJ Boy
12-01-2007, 03:01 AM
I was exactly like this when i was at my first tournament. Trust me, its not that intense as you think, dont even worry about it. Eat properly and train and you should be good, unless this is grappler's quest or some huge ass tournament like that then dont sweat it, you'll probably have like 15 guys in your division.

Good luck.

kaiz77
12-02-2007, 10:03 PM
Hey Heyy.....Just got back and I won 3rd place in my novice lightweight NAGA division....

It was a great experience and overall it went awesome!! very fun....

I actually weighed in at 153lbs...lol....a little under the 159 I thought I would be....but I didnt let it bug me and went for it....

I had 3 matches in all....
won the first in about 30 seconds w/ a triangle choke....:grinsmile1: ..which greatly boosted my confidence....
2nd match...lost by 4 points!!!....Im still upset by it because there was ZERO sub attempts against me....ZERO.....I dragged to his back...set up turtle choke...which was deep...but this guy was much thicker than me (def had to cut to get to 160)...from there had a triangle near set up...tranitioned to an armbar....TIGHT......due to his weight I couldnt roll him...I seriously had him in it for a minute and a half er so..........the rest was basically him smoothering me in half gaurd and him getting his points by escaping to side for about 5 seconds....lol...can you tell Im still angry....

Anyway...3rd match for 3rd place....won by RNC ...beautiful!!...in about 30 seconds er so.....he was standing, I kicked out his feet and armdragged to his back at the same time...(thank you Marcelo)....

Overall....loved it.....thanks for the help you guys!!!...

and I did get videos!!.....except 2nd match crapped out after a little bit....
THey should be up soon!