PDA

View Full Version : Stretching - Results?

DirtyDirtBiker
11-26-2007, 02:54 PM
Hey, I know theirs been some threads about stretching but I'm curious if anyone has had any good results?

A while ago I started basic Static Stretching (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_stretching) and started to see results. I was also actually on one of those leg split machines (You just work this lever and it starts splitting your legs) and start at about 83 degrees and worked my way up to 120 degrees in about 3-4 weeks.

When I stopped for a while I went back down to about 100 degrees and can't even work my way up again.

So I started doing PNF Stretching (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PNF_stretching), but its only day 4 so I can't say I have been seeing any results. But their is this one move I do so kind of simulate a gogoplata (first/second image (http://www.southhillsortho.com/images/flexQ11.gif)) and its been working.

Just curious if anyone has actually seen results from stretching and improved flexibility? If so/not how long have you been doing it? Any input is greatly appreciated :D

Metalhead
11-26-2007, 03:35 PM
I had a personal trainer say that if you hold a stretch for 4 minutes a week, you'll notice a difference in 2 weeks. Hold for no less than 1 minute at a time though.

I was skeptical at first but gave it a shot, and in two weeks I did notice a difference. Hold your stretch for 1 minute a day everyday and you'll notice a difference in no time.

DirtyDirtBiker
11-26-2007, 06:46 PM
I had a personal trainer say that if you hold a stretch for 4 minutes a week, you'll notice a difference in 2 weeks. Hold for no less than 1 minute at a time though.

I was skeptical at first but gave it a shot, and in two weeks I did notice a difference. Hold your stretch for 1 minute a day everyday and you'll notice a difference in no time.

Hey thanks for the input. I used to actually count to about 30 seconds in my head and when I took my ipod, my counting was roughly about 45 real seconds. So yeah I did notice that if you hold it a bit longer, it does work well.

Do you have any idea if you should do a stretch only one time, or 3 times?

Metalhead
11-26-2007, 07:08 PM
No idea, just basing my info off what I was told, hold for 1 minute at a day, or 4 minutes a week. I noticed it worked well for me.

Tick
11-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Remember to breath out when in the stretch. I find I can drop a little lower each time i exhale.

Take a yoga class, even if it is only for a month. You will probable learn something that will work for you.

I went from no where near being able to put my head to my knee when doing a hamstring stretch to being able to put my head to my knee. It took about a 2 months. I can do a butterfly stretch where my knees are touching the ground and I can almost touch my head to my feet. So there has been improvement for me.

Ubermensch
11-27-2007, 11:20 AM

So you did only 4 stretches?? Thats kinda weird, anyway I take about 5-15 minutes before a workout and Yes I see results as long as I keep it up.

Metalhead
11-27-2007, 01:10 PM
No no, 4 minutes a week per stretch. Also, I've consistantly heard about static stretching being terrible pre workout as it weakens muscles.

Ubermensch
11-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Never had a problem myself...I think it is all got to do with Physiology and everyone has different ones. That is why I don't believe in some workout programs what works for some one may not work for others. All my life I was told by all my coaches and all my trainers to lift heavy with low reps for size. Well it never has ever worked with my body but when I do medium weight with lots of reps and heavy contraction control I get size and strength. SO I just go what gives results. Imagine that lifting to be results oriented...haha

DirtyDirtBiker
11-27-2007, 06:06 PM
Remember to breath out when in the stretch. I find I can drop a little lower each time i exhale.

Take a yoga class, even if it is only for a month. You will probable learn something that will work for you.

I went from no where near being able to put my head to my knee when doing a hamstring stretch to being able to put my head to my knee. It took about a 2 months. I can do a butterfly stretch where my knees are touching the ground and I can almost touch my head to my feet. So there has been improvement for me.

Thanks for the input man! I gotta see if I can find some yoga videos or something, I see a lot more people talking about it these days.

anyway I take about 5-15 minutes before a workout and Yes I see results as long as I keep it up.

Hey I was reading somewhere that its actually good to stretch after class or a workout (personally works better after a bjj or thai boxing class then when i'm in the gym), since your muscles are more loose.

I can never put my foot to my head, but after a hard bjj class, I was able to do it no problem, it felt awesome, but thats only after my muscles were so loose.

DirtyDirtBiker
11-27-2007, 06:12 PM
No no, 4 minutes a week per stretch. Also, I've consistantly heard about static stretching being terrible pre workout as it weakens muscles.

Yeah, its kinda strange man. Its just like if you train a lot and you don't eat much you get fatter (because when you do it, your body reserves all the fat since it knows it won't get more for a while).

Idunno, like Ubermensch said, everyone is different. But I also over heard that while working out, a trainer told some other huge guy not to stretch b/c her personally noticed being weaker in strength.

Ubermensch
11-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the input man! I gotta see if I can find some yoga videos or something, I see a lot more people talking about it these days.

Hey I was reading somewhere that its actually good to stretch after class or a workout (personally works better after a bjj or thai boxing class then when i'm in the gym), since your muscles are more loose.

I can never put my foot to my head, but after a hard bjj class, I was able to do it no problem, it felt awesome, but thats only after my muscles were so loose.
I can always put my foot over my head... But you are right you should actually stretch both before and after