PDA

View Full Version : Donovan McNabb - Should He Stay or Should He Go?

Severn
11-28-2007, 09:42 AM
First and foremost I like and respect the hell out of Donovan McNabb. I think he's gotten a bad rap for a good chunk of his time in Philly. The Philly media isn't exactly known for cutting people a break but they may have a point this time.

Last year as we all know Jeff Garcia took over for McNabb (due to injury) at the end of the season, turned the team around and took them to the playoffs and even won a playoff game before getting beat by the Saints.

Now again at the end of the season McNabb (again due to injury although he can come back this year) has been replaced, this time by AJ Feeley who has done an admiral job and almost upset the 11-0 New England Patriots. Again the team moves in the right direction after a McNabb injury. So what should the Philadelphia Eagles do in this situation? Is it time for them to permanently bench McNabb and move on with a Feeley or does Andy Reid stay with his man?

Thoughts?

SimpleJack
11-28-2007, 11:18 AM
I say move on to the future. You are definitely not going anywhere in the playoffs, even if you make it there. Start rebuilding. Trade him for picks. Get some age off that D-Line and get a REAL RECEIVER. Then, play them and work it out.

eazye76
11-29-2007, 11:13 AM
Philly has to go in a new direction. It's the perfect time, AJ feeley is not playing great, but well enough to keep the seat warm for Kevin Cobb(sp?), and that's what they need right now a solid back-up who is inexpensive, that can drive the bus until the kid is ready to take over. Even if they do keep Donavan through next year, his job will always be in jeoperdy b/c of the high draft pick they used on Cobb. Besides McNabb has a huge contract, and cap number. Not to mention we are in the middle of the annual Donavan Mcnabb multiple game injury.
It would also be the right thing for Mcnabb, who has been a solid QB for years. There are at least 20 teams out there that would love to have him, but for some reason Philly fans hate the poor guy. Right off the top of my head, Minn, Chi, SF, and Baltimore all need QB's BADLY. Also there is a longshot of SD or NYG needing a new guy. The big issue is that Donavan not only has a huge contract, he will likely want a new long term huge contract with his new team.

IMO what it comes down to is what Donavan thinks he's worth vs. the team's perception of his ability to stay on the field for an entire season.

Mac
12-01-2007, 11:07 AM
I say move on, buy I say it to McNabb not Philly. Fuck Philly and go somewhere your appreciated. McNabb has done so much for that football team but that city is so ungrateful for it?

I don't get northeastern sports fans, there doesn't seem to be any loyalty up there, be it Philly or New York. Sorry if someone here is a fan up there that isn't this way but for the most part the fans up there seem to have a very short memory of what people have done for their franchises. I remember when they ran Cunningham out of Philly cause he was washed up and he went and won league MVP.

I understand that sometimes guys hold on too long and try to continue to play after they have nothing left, it just seems these fans jump the gun on that issue.

leelandk
12-05-2007, 01:46 AM
I say move on, buy I say it to McNabb not Philly. Fuck Philly and go somewhere your appreciated. McNabb has done so much for that football team but that city is so ungrateful for it?

I don't get northeastern sports fans, there doesn't seem to be any loyalty up there, be it Philly or New York. Sorry if someone here is a fan up there that isn't this way but for the most part the fans up there seem to have a very short memory of what people have done for their franchises. I remember when they ran Cunningham out of Philly cause he was washed up and he went and won league MVP.

I understand that sometimes guys hold on too long and try to continue to play after they have nothing left, it just seems these fans jump the gun on that issue.

Completely agree. Philly is the city that boo'ed Santa Claus. A change of venue would be smart move for DM.

Salvy_Mic
12-05-2007, 05:39 AM
I think McNabb probably has a few more good years in him, but they probably won't be spent in Philly. Atlanta, Chicago, or Baltimore would be good fits for him, in my opinion. He's not that old, and when he's healthy, he's routinely one of the top quarterbacks in the game. Simply put, if the team he goes to is able field a good offensive line, McNabb will be very valuable to the team. Chicago, I think, would be an especially good fit at this point. They have a good line and good receivers (Muhammad, Berrian, Clark), and the other Adrian Peterson is a good runner who's also good out of the backfield. QB play has always held that offense back.