PDA

View Full Version : Cotto vs Malignaggi

Luis Cruz
05-30-2006, 03:17 PM
Just wondering if there's anyone giving this powerless cocky ass a shot against Cotto? I think Cotto is wasting his time in this fight. He took this fight because this nobody was talking shit about him so basically he played right into this kids hands giving him a big fight while he himself has nothing to gain. If he wins he was suppose to win, if he loses his career takes a serious swerve. Since Paulie won't be able to hurt Cotto and has sorry ass defense i see Cotto walking straight ahead and breaking his ribs for a mid round stoppage.

Matt Boone
05-30-2006, 03:45 PM
I got Cotto of course, and agree it's a pointless fight moving forward. It's good to see you're still on Cotto's balls by the way lol.

Kass101
05-30-2006, 03:59 PM
im glad cottos took the fight so we can see a murder in the ring. cottos gonna walk right through him and it will be over quick.

Luis Cruz
05-30-2006, 04:02 PM
I got Cotto of course, and agree it's a pointless fight moving forward. It's good to see you're still on Cotto's balls by the way lol.

there's a difference between being a fan and nuthugging. i always tell the facts as i see it a nuthugger claims their man never does wrong.

Matt Boone
05-31-2006, 11:18 PM
I dunno if I recall you were the latter when it came to Cotto and to a lesser extent Taylor back in the day.

Luis Cruz
05-31-2006, 11:37 PM
not me. a fan yes nutthugger no. i would always point out mistakes they made or weaknesses. taylor i have been right on since he began. and i will say this now, he WILL expose the VERY overrated Winky Wright in a couple weeks. Winky barely squeaked by his last fight with a lesser opponent and his defense didn't look so great. he looked great against a past his prime mosely and the onesided straight forward tito in which he won a fight with a jab. watch and see taylor is the real deal. cotto is too but they are taking steps backwords with him instead of facing tougher competition to get him ready for the big fights.

Matt Boone
06-01-2006, 03:11 PM
I don't know I'm sure if you break everything down as specific as you have since you know boxing so well that could be the case. To the average fan - me, we still have to see proof. The Hopkins fights made Taylor look I don't want to say not ready, but for the style of Wright it just seems like a better, younger, bigger version of something that gave him trouble in his last two fights. On the flip side, Wright has looked invincible and not just from the Trinidad fight. That's what cemented him as a top player in the sports eyes, but the Mosley fights especially the second one where Mosley really seemed to be giving his best are the one's that stand out to me. Sure Mosley isn't a natural at the weight, but still. It's just the impression that Wright and Taylor have left on me from their recent performances tells me that this is going to be a very competitive fight, maybe boring - but I got to go with Wright by decision. I'll be pulling for Taylor though as he's the young gun, more exciting style than Wright - so all around it's better for boxing if Taylor wins. I'm all about what's going to keep big, exciting fights on the horizon in the future. Wright doesn't really have an exciting style no matter who he fights it seems.

Matt Boone
06-11-2006, 01:22 AM
Cruz will have to speak on this, I haven't seen the fight yet just read that Cotto won a unanimous decision in a good fight and that he knocked him down in the second and finished the fight strong.

Luis Cruz
06-11-2006, 01:45 AM
Aside from the two rounds Cotto took off he did exactly what i said (except for the stoppage) by walking right thru this big mouth punk. He beat the dogshit out of him from beginning to end. The commentators were horrible!! They were yelling shit that wasn't even happening. That was by far the worse commetating in the history of boxing! But anyways it looked like Cotto broke Faggi's cheekbone because his right side in that area was swollen bad. The very first shot Cotto landed in the fight gave Faggi a bad cut over the left eye. He was a mess at the end and Cotto might've had a very very small swell under his right eye but other than that nothing. He handed him his ass basically and dropped him. The crowd and announcers got a rise at one point where Cotto was off balance and got hit with a shot so he stumbled a little, it was obviously nothing but the noise made it seem like it was. This was a beatdown, that's about it. Cotto said they have a November date for his next fight and he might move to 147lbs if his people want him too (which i think he needs to). So since Castillo was suppose to be in September i guess that tells you something, either no Castillo because he screwed Arum or Castillo in November. GIVE COTTO A DAMN REAL TITLE SHOT!!

On the undercard Chavez Jr. looked fucking scary yet again. Destroyed his opponent who was 10-1 with 8kos. I'm telling you when they're done padding his record, in two years he will own 147lbs. And that might be where Cotto's at unless he goes to 154lbs in that time. That would be a great fight in two years. But Chavez is no doubt the future of whatever weight he goes. I won't be surprised to see him at Middleweight before he retires a long time from now. I would even take him against Zab Judah right now, he's that good.

Matt Boone
06-11-2006, 02:01 AM
I have even less faith in Chavez Jr. than I do in Cotto, although I must admit Cotto is starting to deserve the props he gets more lately.

Luis Cruz
06-11-2006, 02:18 AM
You must know nothing about Chavez Jr. or never seen his fights. This kid is for real, he's not living just off a name. For his age and time as a pro he shows things you see in fighters that have been around 10+ years. He WILL be a world champ and a dominant one, mark my words.

Matt Boone
06-11-2006, 05:28 PM
I've seen his fights but everyone was against a complete and utter nobody. Not a nobody like a journeyman fighter, a straight up set up for the most part to make Chavez Jr. look good. And every fight I've ever seen of his has been one like that.

Much like I'm scared to jump on the Samuel Peter bandwagon because of the Tyson/Foreman/Liston myth, I also fear jumping on the bandwagon of a rookie prospect who is the son of a legend. Very rarely do they ever turn out to be even a glimpse of their father, let alone a legit contender on any level. There are exceptions, I don't need the list, but the past decade or so there's been way too many famous fighters sons come in and get babied until they can't be no more, and then they just drop off completely.

Until Chavez Jr. has a moment where I'm forced to sit up and take attention, I'll continue to be skeptical about his future in boxing.

StephanBonnarrocks
07-24-2006, 01:49 AM
i must be high but i think you guys are giving cotto props. paulie is a b level fighter and cotto couldnt get him out of there, he did break his jaw, and paulies tough, but come on. for cruz to say he deserves a real title shot is a joke.
he should move up to 147 cuz hes killin himself to make weight for no reason theres no money at 140 if hes not scared whats his excuse. hes got hatton, mayweather, margarito, mosley, baldomir, judah and even gatti. at 140 hes gonna fight a bunch of nobodies with the possibility of castillo or vivian harris. WOW. cotto is good, definitely, but he will get exposed by an elite caliber fighter. talent wise hes no zab judah, and physically no floyd mayweather or anybody elite for that matter, mentally hes great but like i said hes a b+ fighter. hes the opposite of zab judah. hes got the mental control and maturity, he just doesnt have the top skill to make him an elite boxer, EVER. id have trouble pickin him over floyd, castillo, margarito, baldomir, mosley and even judah (due to physical skills only no personal bias honestly). id give him a big chance against hatton and gatti tho.

StephanBonnarrocks
07-24-2006, 01:50 AM
and boone i agree with chavez jr. he looks lackluster in fights he should dominate and seems to fade when hes in a tough war. hes got great physical skills but will find it hard to fight inside with that lanky body as he gets older against smaller inside fighters and really needs to learn dramatically how to destroy from the outside but i dont see him ever becoming more then a temp. title holder.

StephanBonnarrocks
07-24-2006, 01:52 AM
and for the record Puerto Rican fans, u need to realize this guy will never be Trinidad. Not even close.