PDA

View Full Version : Do You Practice Both Sides In BJJ?

DirtyDirtBiker
12-03-2007, 09:02 AM
I was in class and I used to have a dirty habit of practicing just one side on a specific move, but mainly from the gaurd, or mount. So now I moved on to practicing submissions from either the left hand side or right.

So my instructor came and said that for some moves (we were doing an open gaurd type thing to a triangle) you don't always have to practice both sides, usually you have a stronger side and he normally practices that. He even showed me that one side was a bit better (I was bit more flexible with one leg at the time b/c of a knee problem then the other leg). But when I was rolling a few days ago, I found myself in the exact same position with my 'weaker' side and made me think:

Does anyone here prefer to practice just one side when training bjj or do you cover both angles? Not asking if the instructor is right or wrong (everyone has their own way of doing things), just curious as to how other people train?

stanthrax
12-03-2007, 07:07 PM
when practicing i'll probably do it mostly on my strong side, but will throw in trying it on my weaker side just to get in the habit because when i'm rolling sometimes i'll end up with an opportunity to try a move and it'll be on the weaker side

ScottS
12-03-2007, 07:39 PM
I always do both sides. Sometimes, such as takedowns, it's just comical on my left but I still do it.

kaiz77
12-03-2007, 08:15 PM
Yeah I def have a stronger side and a weaker side....but I try to drill everything equally...... during training I usually make a big effort to go for my weak side moves...figure it only helps me and if Im gonna learn....I rather it be during training...

NixHex
12-04-2007, 12:02 AM
I drill the techniques from both sides, but out of habit I usually fall back to my strong side. When rolling it's always always instinct to go to my strong side, and I really hate that about myself because i'm ambidextrous lol... so it makes no sense to me.

ufobydeath
12-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Instinctively when I roll I try to put myself in a situation where I can use my strong side. This probably makes me expend more energy than I really need to though.

I wish I practiced both sides equally but it just never happens :p

Misfits138
12-16-2007, 03:21 AM
My instructor says to get a good grasp of the technique of a move from one side first, then try the other side. That's been working well for me.

DirtyDirtBiker
12-20-2007, 09:06 AM
My instructor says to get a good grasp of the technique of a move from one side first, then try the other side. That's been working well for me.

Yeah I agree with this. Sometimes its a bit too much doing both sides right away, seems like my brain doesn't like it like that sometimes :)

underdog
12-27-2007, 01:09 AM
we all say there are no sides in Jiu Jitsu, but like writing its easier on one side lol

methodjg
01-10-2008, 02:26 PM
I think it is important to practice everything from both sides. The only thing I do not practice on both sides are my throws and that is mainly because in my class we do not spend much time on them.

As for technique from the mount or guard, I always practice both sides. My instructor makes sure you do both. I think it is better this way...obviously you will have one side that is stronger but to be able to do both sides good is more advantageous.

Ramma
02-05-2008, 07:50 PM
At my school, we have to practice on both sides. We will do triangles ad nausia, and then rinse and repeat on the other side.

You don't punch with only one hand, you don't kick with only one leg. Given, doing one side well before moving onto the other is important, but it should be an eventual goal.

Not practicing both sides is silly.. if someone puts an out and you are used to doing the otherside, you've missed a perfect opportunity to capitalize on a mistake.

Old thread, I know, but I didn't see this.

mcdev88
02-05-2008, 07:57 PM
wow did somebody post something in the grappling forum??? its been pretty dead lately.

Ramma
02-05-2008, 08:02 PM
wow did somebody post something in the grappling forum??? its been pretty dead lately.

I did it, just for you.

Someone had to.. it is quiet over here..

Noob and Palma.. get in here and make things happen :angrrry:

Beat2Sleep
02-05-2008, 08:07 PM
when practicing i'll probably do it mostly on my strong side, but will throw in trying it on my weaker side just to get in the habit because when i'm rolling sometimes i'll end up with an opportunity to try a move and it'll be on the weaker side

Same here.